“Stayed Feb 10-17'2013” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

You added Hotel Riu Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #39 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Vancouver, Canada
“Stayed Feb 10-17'2013”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We went down for a wedding with about 30 other people....almost everyone ended up getting sick, to the point of one of the groomsmen almost collapsing during the ceremony. There is absolutely no toiletries in the rooms so make sure you bring your own shampoo and conditioner. Our tequila bottle stayed empty in our room for the whole stay.....we left a tip on our pillow every morning for the people who cleaned our rooms (which were not cleaned very well at all) and one morning we came back and the tip was gone but our room was not touched (not cool). We actually had to go up to the front desk to ask for toilet paper because they didn't replenish it. The entertainment was repetitive and only had a couple of good show's for the whole week. The scenery was beautiful and they did take very good care of the grounds. The food was horrible, the room cleaning was horrible, and the fact that so many people got sick was horrible....I would never stay here again and would defiantly never recommend this resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,303)
Winkler, Manitoba, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

the resort was very clean, people were hospitable and location great but the food was dangerous. My son 19 yrs old was hospitalized for food poisoning in San Lucas. he was out of it for a few days + $ 3000 later of hospital bills. it was a scary experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I was here in March 2012 the staff were awesome, food was good, and they put up with a lot! We were there with a group of 30 for a wedding, everything went off perfectly without a hitch! The pools are to die for and the view is amazing!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Santa Fe from Feb 10th th Feb17th
We were in building 7
The first 3 days were good, but then we all (4 of us) got violently ill ! We were in our rooms for 3 days throwing up !-
Lots of people were getting sick, So I talked to the Sunwing Rep(Julie from building 7 ) on Thursday, to Change Hotels, and she made it almost impossible to do,so we ended up staying
in the Hotel .- She actually told us word for word, people get sick here all the time and they aren't changing hotels, so what's the problem. As well as that we need to adjust to the food.

There was no room service, and had to call the from desk 3 times for water !
We tried to get the front desk to call the in house Doctor, and they gave us the number and told us to call ourselves (and then charged us for the calls)
I broke a glass on the floor at late at night ( not drunk, because I was sick), and called to have someone clean it up, and no answer over and over again ! so my BF had to walk to the front desk (sick) to get someone to come to the room ! ( 10 min walk)
The bedsheets the had mold on them ( I have pics)
There was no amenities in the room, so bring your own everything (even Lotion and conditioner)- No ropes or slippers in the ocean view room
Building 7 was the best building to be in , and the pools were great, but if you want more than nice pools and clean grounds , go somewhere else !
The so called snack bar consisted of Hamburgers and few sandwiches in a fridge ,Hotdogs and nachos and cheese (not what I would call a snack bar)
Okay maybe thats okay for 1-5 am at night but after 10pm, that was your only option.
I see some of the reviews say you can use the Hot tubs in the spa... well you can as long as you have an appointment to do so, unless you sneak past the front desk ( they are free)

Yes, people get sick on Vacation, but the way it was dealt with was awful. The manager insisted no one was getting sick, yet I met so many people that were getting sick. They only put out hand sanitizer in the buffet on thursday night after people were getting sick, but apparently according to the manager no one was sick?
Location was really great though, just be very careful with the food.

Champlin, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The resort was clean along with the room and the staff was kind and courteous. We were supposed to have an ocean view or garden view but had a cement wall with vegetation in front of it. I got really sick of buffet food - actually I got food poisoning on 2/13/13. I wasn't impressed with the steakhouse food either although I'm pretty sure I got sick from the breakfast buffet. I wouldn't reccommend eating the yogurt or any of the dairy. Many people at the resort got sick on the same day. Staff working with the buffet food don't wear gloves and I don't think the food was kept cold enough. Yogurt should be served in individual containers not in big bowls-maybe that way we'd know what we're getting! Getting sick really ruined half my week since I couldn't eat anything but toast or crackers for the next 3 days.

Room Tip: If you're a partier and want an ocean view building #7 is the place to be. Building #5 was quie...
Ontario's Highlands, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed here from Feb 8 to 17 with a large group of people. We all got sick and some of us had to go to the hospital. We asked the front desk for help they would do nothing we talked to Manager Brenda about situation and got no were. We had to pay to use the phone to call for help and ask for a Doctor.$$$. Toilets would be pluged and it would take hours to get them fixed. Maintenance would unplug them using a snake like plunger, after they were done unpluging toilets they would wash the plunger in your sink of your room. (Hello!) ( I yelled at him) I met lots of other people in the 700 and 500 buildings that got sick. Staff and Mangers were rude at the front desk. I will never travel to Mexico ever again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Black River Falls
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just returned from Riu Santa Fe and had a very nice time. The grounds and rooms were all very clean. The staff was exceptionally helpful and nice. I thought the variety of food was very good at the buffets; I didn't go to any of the specialty restaurants as you had to make reservations the day before. As we went with a group, you never knew what you may be doing the next day. We went to both pool areas and both areas were very nice.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!