“Great resort.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Expedia.com Orbitz.com
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Turn Spring Around!
Ranked #33 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Peterborough, Canada
“Great resort.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

My best friend and I visited the Riu Santa Fe in September 2012. Upon arrival they served us a strong, but delicious margarita. When we booked we had requested two double beds however, when we got to our room we realized that they put us in a room with just a king sized bed. We just called the front desk and they changed our room right away with no problems.

The food in the buffet was great with a huge variety to choose from. The "grill" a la cart was my favourite and the Asain one was my least favourite, but I am a big sushi fan and i am pretty picky when it comes to that. The drinks were very good as well.

The view is honestly to die for. From the beach side of the resort you have the perfect view of the infamous "Los Arcos". Unfortunately, the ocean is not safe to swim in at all so, we paid $30 each and got to spend the day @ "Lover's Beach" with lunch included. I highly recommend that everyone takes this excursion it was amazing! A guide takes you in a glass-bottom boat to see the sealions and the diffrent rock formations then he drops you at "Lover's Beach", where you can swim safely, and picks you up at a certain time.

All of the staff at this resort were very friendly and helpful, however the entertainment staff were hands down, the most genuinly friendly staff i've ever met at a resort. Especially Paris, he went above and beyond to make sure that everyone was having a good time.

The only negative part of the trip was the noseeums a.k.a. sand fleas. The resort would spray everyday to keep them away, but one of the days they had run out of the spray and for half the day they were EVERYWHERE! So, it put a damper on part of our day, but once they sprayed later on, it was fine. Also, the moths were giant and would hang out in the corridors of the villas, but they were harmless.

Overall, this is a great resort to go to.

Room Tip: If you can get a room close to the gym you will be central to the important amenities like the main...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

4,148 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,093)
mesa az
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Spent 4 nights at the Santa Fe. Check in was seamless. Even got a drink while I was checking in.

Building 7 room was nice although bed was on the hard side. Ate breakfast at the main restaurant and it was very good. We aren’t 4 or 5 plate eaters and the heavy greasy stuff isn’t our thing. More like fruit and pancakes . Also had fresh made omelette.
If you get to the opening of the restaurants like we did for dinner one night, it’s a hoot. They open the doors and clap.. I guess it’s a celebration of food. We walked in and there was tons of food. From hamburgers to fish. All sorts of fruit and lots of other stuff. All freshly made. If you get there an hour later some things are just about gone and really don’t get refilled.

Steakhouse dinner was great. It’s at building 7 and you can sit out and watch the sunset.
Lots of drinking going on and all ages were involved. I saw 20 somethings and 60 somethings all having a fun time. Easy to get caught up in it so unless you have self control you just might be that person who goes to bed at 7.
Get up early to reserve chairs. The ones on the rails are the most coveted. I got up at 5.15 am one morning and I was 10th down the line..There’s about 30 chairs on each side..

Hotel was clean and they made our room daily. Restocked bar over other day. That was ok. Although we had run out of water. Entertainment was BAD...Kind of a joke. They can really seat a lot of people but don’t take advantage of it.

Wifi was another joke. I was able to log into it with my ipad but only got emails. Computer was super slow and wasted my wifes time.

Gym was so-so. 5 treadmills and some universal equipment from early 2000’s I guess.. I worked out the first day and then played beach volleyball a couple days later. Hard to be on top of your game with .04 BAC the next morning.

80% Canadian people. And they are fun. Will and Michelle had us laughing the whole time and made our trip that much better.

Never saw anybody complan or upset. Remember to tip the servers and bartenders. They did a great job and they work ALL the time.

Oh last thing I bought mine off Hotwire for $164.00 a night for 2 people. It’s under ( 3.5 star all inclusive ) in Cabo.

Room Tip: Dont stay on bottom floor...of any building..
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I went here with a bunch of my friends and it ended up being an awesome trip. We were able to taxi to downtown for $15 split between 5 ppl (so like 3 each). There are a lot of places to party in downtown Cabo which is awesome and it doesn't cost nearly as much as it did in Cancun when I went a few years ago. I like how this place wasn't filled with a lot of 19 year old and had more ppl that were older (late 20's-late 30's) which was kinda nice since we ended up meeting a lot of ppl. The staff was super friendly too. The food was good at a few restuarants but really bad at the others. The drinks were really good. The rooms were superclean and the bathrooms were really nice. The service is kinda annoying though b/c they often expect you to tip them otherwise they don't give you drinks but that's what an all inclusive place is supposed to be...

Room Tip: Tip the server a lot at the beginning of the night otherwise they won't poor you drinks.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
ONTARIO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Was not dissapointed with this resort.The food was over the top,,big variety of different foods,,The service was second to none,,,always very appreciative of tips ,,,The liquor at the bars was always name brands with a good selection of drinks,,There are many bars ,swimming pools are plentiful and lots of chairs,The beach is very picturest,,,,not a beach to go swimming,lots of under toe,,,not a beach to go walking for long walks,too hard to walk on..the people over all are very friendly,,The resort is super clean and meticulously kept,,To go down town ,you just go to the main street and catch the bus called the Collectivo for one us dollar...Lots of different stores down town,and you always bargain with them,lots of fun,If any one needs more info,feel free to contact me,,,

Room Tip: Rooms in the 3000 block are very central
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We've stayed at countless all inclusives around the caribbean (RIU's, Sandals, Grand Bahia Principe's, etc), so we feel we can give a well rounded review. We stayed at the RIU Sante Fe from Jan' 24 - 31 as part of a group of 10 adults. We'll just hit the highlights rather than go into too much detail: we really liked this particular RIU as it is designed and decorated in a very local/southwestern/Tex-Mex style which makes it stand out from the usual RIU decor. Very nicely appointed, very large, the grounds and buildings were absolutely spotless. We loved the cactus gardens along all of the walkways - very different from most resorts. The buffet was huge, had a great variety of quite good foods, and never seemed too crowded. It seems their restaurants and pool areas are large enough to deal with the high volume of guests. We ate at the Mexican and Italian specialty restaurants and really loved the food, the presentation, etc. The staff at this resort were simply the most genuinely happy and caring that we've come across for a long time. Didn't come across one stern face or any staff who didn't say Ola at the very least.

The very best parts of this resort for us were the dramatic sea views and the rock outcroppings across the bay. The beach is long and beautiful, but as everyone knows the water is not safe to swim in. The large and plentiful pools mostly make up for the no-swimming in the ocean.

Our only two issues were that the wine is probably the worst we've ever encountered (we weren't expecting the best by any stretch) and the nightly entertainment seemed to consist of endless audience participation bits (those get old after about the first 5 minutes).

Otherwise this is really one of the very best mid range all inclusive resorts we've been too.

Room Tip: Worth spending the little extra to get an ocean view room - they all tend to overlook the pool areas...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

The Location- On the beach with a FANTASTIC view from the buffet, and an infinity pool that backs up to the sand. The water is rough here and it's a distance from town if you want to go out at night. So if you can afford it the Marina might be better for you in that case. We took $15 taxi rides each way which worked fine for our group. You will absolutely love Cabo, it's paradise.

The "All-Inclusive"- There are a variety of restaurants for dinner included as well as buffets for all 3 meals that have plenty of variety. This is Mexico so heavy on pork and fresh seafood items. Nothing spectacular but it's what should be expected for an all inclusive. The chips and salsa are great. The bar highlights includes Coronas Stoli, Bacardi, Jose Cuervo and Tangueray but you have to request them. Our group favorite were the mojitos with Bacardi. The alcohol in the room that is also included but less desirable alcohol brands. Tips are all included and there is a concierge that will make calls into town for you if needed, and will setup activities/excursions and transfers for you.

The Rooms- Pretty average. Not real up to date including the tv's. The noise from the hallways is pretty loud. Upon arrival there was supposed to be water in my fridge but there wasn't. I also didn't have an iron. I called but wasn't delivered anything for 30-60 minutes. Also, I had to have housekeeping come re-clean my toilet as there was nasty hair by the flush knob (eww). And the toilet brush water was yellow. The rest of the resort seemed very clean.

The Service- The staff at this resort greet you with a smile and try really hard. That said, They have manual keys for the room still (not electronic) so when I got locked out of my room it took 4 attempts and an hour before somebody let me in to my room.

My only other complaints- The nightclub needs to be redone, it's a dump and nobody goes in there. The coffee and the wine are also terrible. And there are no elevators to the rooms so it's stairs only.

The Value- When we went over a weekend it was about $125 for the room with all inclusive per person per night (dbl occupancy per room). I stayed by myself so I believe it was $160' ish after tax per night for me. If you can afford to stay somewhere nicer then do so. If you can't afford to stay somewhere nicer you will still find this to still be a nice place for an inexpensive vacay in Cabo.

Room Tip: Get a room near building 7 which is by the beach, otherwise you will have a long walk. It can be a l...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Loved Cabo but definitely not this resort! I usually stay at the Riu Palace versus the downgrade Riu hotel which I reluctantly stayed at this time. In every trip I've ever taken, I've always been greeted with a Mimosa. Well not this time.. (Sometimes those small efforts go a long way with guests) I tried to upgrade my room at the time of check in and was rudely told NO! The staff member did not even attempt to check, which was really what ticked me off. The grounds had the look of a runned down arizona hotel, wasnt impressed. The room was old and a huge box sat on top of the drawers chest which I later found out to be a TV (Im kidding! But its like a 1996 zenith tv lol) The liquor selection in the minibar area of the room was filled with cheap no name liquors. My balcony view was that of an empty desert lot with old burned bushes and trash everywhere. Avoid building 2 at all cost! The buffet was awful, we didnt even bother trying out the dinner restaurants. Overall, I had a higher standard for Riu resorts but this byfar did not live up to expectations. I will return to Cabo but never again to this plain boring resort. I guess its true... you get what you pay for.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!