“Great Resort Nov29-Dec6” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

You added Hotel Riu Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #40 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Banff National Park, Canada
“Great Resort Nov29-Dec6”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

My boyfriend and I booked the Riu Santa Fe last minute after reading the reviews. We are in our mid 20's and really enjoyed this resort. We didn't ask to be put in building 7 "party building" we just took what we got.

Room- Our room was in building 2-3rd floor. When we went in it had a musky smell-sort of like old wet towels or sheets. Oh well. Then we went into the fridge and in the bottom drawer there was a plate full of old food! So gross! AND our liquors were empty. I called to ask them to take the plate of food away and to replace our liquors. They came fast but only replaced the liquors. So i throw the plate of food in the garbage-plate and all.

The resorts is very large but not confusing to us. It was quite simple to get around and it is THAT far to the pools and ocean from buildings 1 and 2. The exercise is needed anyways with all the drinking and eating.
The grounds are well groomed and very clean. The staff work so hard to make sure it is clean and they all seem sincerely happy.
The pools were great however on the benches you can sit on along the edge of all 3 pools near the ocean there was slim build up.I work closely with pools (indoor and outdoor) for a career so I noticed this right away. It was a little gross but it didn't ruin anything for us.
The drinks-to us- were great!! The bartenders by the pool are a little slower but they are still great. The bartenders by the main entrance are amazing! Enrique is seriously the BEST!!! Jacob, Jonathan, Desidereo are great too - they are all so fun! Tip every few drinks or largely at the beginning of the night. They deserve it and you will be taken are of promptly. Get the "RAINBOW, SCOOBY DOO, BOB MARLEY" shots they are super fun and get everyone to meet each other:)
FOOD-The food was pretty good in the buffet's sometimes things were empty and were not refilled but all in all pretty good breakfast got a little boring and the desserts need some work and variety but dinners were great.
RESTAURANTS- Mexican apps were awful! cold, and seemed old. Fajitas were really good tho!
Steakhouse was good. VERY LARGE pieces of meat our medium rare came rare tho.
Italian was probably our favourite. Asian was ok but we were the first ones there so maybe thats why. We NEVER woke up at 7 to book a reservation. We went around 10-12 and still got a reso- it was just either 6-6:30 or at 9:00pm which was fine for us. I guess if you want something better get there early.
TOWN- Yes the water is that swimmable but people still went in it. You just have to be strong and hold your self up when the huge waves come in and go out. We walked all the way down the beach to the marina. Took about an hour with stopping to swim in the swimmable sections( which was amazing!!) also stopped to talk to hagglers. We ate at one of the restaurants at the marina( sports place) it was good, tourist prices of course. We both felt a little nauseous after though.We went into town a few more times and ate tacos at this local place LOS CLAROS ( SO SO GREAT AND CHEAP!) we didn't get sick or feel sick at all afterwards actually. Yum! We went into this super cute and great tequila store across the street from burger king. The owner sells only top of the line tequilas. From 20-$5000 a bottle. He gave us 4 samples and described them all. Our friend ended up buying a $150 bottle- got a great deal too. This was a true Cabo, Mecxico experience! Great highlight! We went to the clubs a few times which was SO SO SO FUN!! LOVED EL SQUID ROE, MANDALA & PINK KITTY. One of the Riu staff approached us and gave us an awesome deal and took care of us( no cover, line and free drinks all night for women and a few drinks for the men at each club taxi there and back $20) great fun and it was a Friday so lots of people.
EXCURSIONS- We booked Deep sea fishing with one of the vendors at the marina- SO MUCH cheaper than booking through a tour operator at the hotel. You are cutting out the middle man booking outside the hotel so why not? It was very trust worthy, safe and legit. My boyfriend and his friends caught 2 huge Dorado. Careful though sooo many people get sea sick. Alot of people were on the side of the boats being sick.
Go to lovers/divorce beach! So beautiful HUGE waves on the pacific ocean side ( divorce beach) 12$ taxi ride. Don't let them charge you per person! Sting rays on the pacific side, and fishies on the sea of cortez side.If you can book seadoos, sand buggys, parasailing outside of the hotel do it! We walked down the beach for 15 minutes and sooo many other vendors charge way way less then the people on the beach in front of the hotel! Theres super fun bars along the beach too!
Cabo was so much fun! I would def go back to Cabo! Maybe the Riu if the price was right! We met some friends for life at the resort. So much fun.
The entertainment staff are so amazing! My boyfriend and I both got pulled on stage to do some fun things and contests! They work so hard and are at the resort all the time. They live there and work there- probably 12-13 hour days. Outstanding.
This resort is a place to be experienced for sure.

Room Tip: Say NO GRACIAS if you want the hagglers to leave you alone.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,464)
Parry Sound, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This was our second time at Riu Santa Fe. We love Cabo San Lucas and this resort offers a great value and access to great night life. The rooms are nice, but I would recommend requesting a ground floor unit if you have trouble walking. Most of the buildings don't have elevators, which doesn't bother me since on holidays I'm never in a rush. The food is fairly average, with our favorite restaurant being the Italian restaurant. The pools are nice and offer a great variety for relaxation or socializing/partying.

Our most recent trip to the Riu Santa Fe was with Sunwing Vacations... I wish there was a forum on Tripadvisor for rating companies that over packaged vacations, but there's not so I'm going to write my experience here...

On this particular trip, the Sunwing employee that checked us in upon departure from Toronto, failed to properly adhere the luggage tags to our suitcases. Needless to say, our luggage did not make it to Mexico. This in and of itself is something that I would never wish upon anyone, especially after spending hard earned money on a vacation that was supposed to be enjoyable and relaxing. But, to compound the situation, Sunwing reps at the resort were completely unhelpful in finding our luggage and didn't show the least bit of sympathy to our situation. We got that impression that as long as they gave us the $50/bag/day as lost luggage compensation, their job was done... Unless of course we wanted to buy an excursion! I made numerous calls back to Canada and spent quite a bit of time emailing to try and find our luggage. I eventually got a hold of the right person, only to find out we wouldn't be getting our luggage until we returned to Toronto at the end of our vacation! Sunwing claims that their customers' satisfaction is of their highest concern. This was clearly not our experience with Sunwing on our last trip.

Upon returning to Canada, I submitted a claim to customer service, which took 3 weeks to provide a proper reply. The reply that I received stated that we could claim another $100 in addition to the $600 ($50/bag/day) they gave us while in Mexico. How is that supposed to better the horrible experience we had with Sunwing? We spent about 4 times that to buy our vacation and used the the compensation that we did get to buy toiletries, a few items of clothing, and on phone calls and emails (to try and find our luggage).

We've been on vacations with Sunwing a few times, and up until our last vacation, we never really had any complaints. If Sunwing had done a better job with customer service while in Mexico and then after we got back, we probably would have continued to use their services. As it stands, I wouldn't use Sunwing again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thornbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Just back from a stay at the Riu Santa Fe from Nov 29 to Dec 6. The property was in great shape and well maintained, very clean. Staff was generally excellent. There were a couple of minor disappointments. The steakhouse and asian restaurants weren't great, so we stuck to the buffet after that. Food in general was decently prepared, but surprisingly little variation over the 7 days - salads and desserts had almost no changes, and dinner main choices were very uniform; was a bit of a surprise for the star rating of the resort. Lastly, the beach sand was quite harsh, and the water fairly rough - staff advised that the beach is not considered swimmable due to undertow, though people were in it. Overall a decent time, but not a resort we'd plan a repeat trip to.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Torrance, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Just returned from Riu and had a wonderful time. food and service were good and housekeeping does a great job. The Entertainment staff were great, make sure that everyone has a great time.Shows were excellent except the mexican night.We played beach volleyball everyday so it was great . WIFI used to be free in the lobby but now changed to 90 mins and drinks are not that good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Medford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Being from the East Coast, I had never gone West for a trip like this, we always go to the Carribean.

I was very impressed with the Riu and with Cabo itself. The hotel is very clean, there are MANY cleaning folks every day spotted working very hard, both in your room and outside of it.

We arrived and asked if our 2 rooms could be in Building 7, as we had read online that this was the building to be in. Our requested was accomodated with a smile.

If you prefer more pool action or being right on the ocean, this is the building to stay in. If you prefer your sunbathing to be quiet, stay in any of the other buildings.

I thought the food was quite good in the buffets. We never went to any of the restaurants ourselves, based on a few comments we heard that it wasn't worth the trouble to get a reservation.

I will definitely be going back to Cabo and this hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Oswego, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

This was our second trip to a Riu. Loved Riviera PlayaCar but not feeling the same about this visit. Weather was Great!!! Service was OK. We stayed in building 7 which I highly recommend if you want to be where the action is. Only downside, is you are not close to everything else. Maybe it was the time of the year, but if wanted coffee in the morning, you needed to walk/hike to the lobby area. Sports bars makes an awesome espresso, go for it!!!! Entertainment was mediocre which I was really surprised with. At previous Riu stays, the entertainment crew was fabulous!!!! Bartenders were just OK, not really enthusiastic and fun to be around. Resort was very clean and well kept up. Servers in the buffet areas were spectacular!! Worked their butts off to take care of everyone. Food was good for a buffet, but maid/minibar service left a lot to be desired. We called for a replenishment 2 days into our stay-we were out of bottled water-and they never refilled. When I called later that night, they told me minibar service was closed. Well, I had no bottled water and that didn't really work for us!! They finally brought us some bottled waters but I felt like it was a major inconvenience. Well, we can't drink the tap water, so for me it wasn't an option. Vendors at the resort were rude and wanted nothing to do with bartering-their loss! All in all, our stay at this resort would not make me want to stay at another Riu. We have had much better experiences in other areas. By the way, mattresses are really hard, so ask for a pillow topper to help ease your sleep!!! On a good note, go into town, try the local food and definitely do the Lover's beach excursion. It was awesome!!!

Room Tip: Building 7 is ocean view and worth the extra dollars!!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tweed, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We just got back from Riu Santa Fe, we have stayed at the Riu Yucatan in the Mayan Riviera but I would say that the Santa Fe is just great. It is a $12.00 cab ride to town but you can walk to town if you like walking. I had mentioned to one of the workers that the pool was very cool and he told me that in December they put the heat on because December January it is cooler . Well we were there last two days of Nov. and 6 days in Dec. but still no heat but found out to try the other pools they are different temperatures.
The shows at night well some were really good and a couple it seemed like they had not practiced very much but it was still nice to have them to go and see.
I am very pickey with my food but found out of all my travelling that I have done that this was the best. I guess it just depends on the person. All of the staff is very friendly and very helpful. It never seemed like anyone was expecting tips got the same wonderful service with or without a tip.
We talkedto people that had stayed at the Riu Palace before and they told us the only difference was much more money and they have a chocolate fountain in the lobby. Guess what one day we had a chocolate fountain at lunch.
Everything is very spread out so if you walking is not very good I would think of somewhere else to stay bring a wheelchair or you can rent a scooter for a week for $200.00
I don't drink beer but I was told you get used of the beer you drink at home so of course you would not be to happy with what you get there. I found the wine not that great some people went to Wal Mart and bought there own but when I wanted wine I just drank what they had. I found the red better then the white.
I find it funny about the person from Calgary talking about the people that smoked. I met alot of people from Calgary and they were doing alot of smoking. I just quit smoking one and ahalf years ago think of smoking everyday but I didn't notice anything that bothered me. I guess these people that get so upset about the smokers should try and find a NO SMOKERS HOTEL they seem to have Adult only hotels so maybe a NO SMOKERS HOTEL SHOULD BE THE NEXT THING IN THIS WORLD.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a oceanview room and was well worth the money. We were in bldg. 7
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!