“Good place to stay in Los Cabos” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #37 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Toronto
“Good place to stay in Los Cabos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stay here twice. Had a good time. The resort is huge ( Riu's Biggest Resort) be prepared to walk alot. The hotel has 2 sections.

24 hours all inclusive makes it a plus! Walmart near, cheaper to buy gifts and alcohol there. The resort is a little distant from the airport, but good scenery.

Rooms were big and mini bar was always re stocked. Good food and entertainment.

Would reccomend to anyone. close to nightlife.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,257)
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My Wife and I have done all our All-Inclusive trips to the Carribean. As Much as we have loved Playa del Carmen, Cancun, Montego Bay, etc... We decided to try the Pacific side for my wife's Babymoon.

Well needless to say to those of you that have been to the Cabo area, WOW! What a fantastic place. No worries about rain. The humidity was not a factor and it seemed to have an all together different feel to Mexico than the other coast.

As for the resort, we loved it. A nice mix of quiet, entertainment, party or relaxation depending on what part of the resort you decide to spend your day at.

For all of the other reviews that people whined and complained about the walk... Did you not see the map? Any place with two resorts and 4+ buildings be prepared to walk around and explore. While Santa Fe is not intimate like say a Dreams or Secrets, it is also a part of the appeal. Each section of the resort offers a different experience. If you want to party go to the swim up bars. If you want to relax there's the pool away from building 7. The long pool with the loungers in the middle of building seven was our favorite. Close to a buffet, daily activities, a bar for me... well you get the idea.

Nice Assortment of restaurants. You'll read the regular negative feedback on here from people (Steak wasn't up to par, wine was no good) YOU ARE NOT AT HOME! If you want a $100 bottle of wine go to town and buy one. If you want AAA beef go to Ruth's Chris Steak house near the Marina. This is a resort that needs to mass produce food and drink for a lot of people.

Bottom line folks. Look at the price you pay to escape everyday life sit in paradise, get waited on for drinks, not have to cook or clean your room, and remember you're on vacation. I loved the RIU Santa Fe. My only real problem with it is that first the first time ever we're going to visit a resort twice and the next trip isn't soon enough. So stop reading and book your trip already!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Riu Santa Fe in Cabo in early September. First time at a Riu and we were very impressed for the value vs price. Hotel is clean, friendly, and has almost everything you could ask for. I'm giving it 5 Stars for what you could reasonably expect to receive at an A.I. hotel in this price range ( I'm NOT saying it's a "5 Star" Hotel ) .

I read quite a few reviews on T.A. before we booked, and I'm not sure how people can honestly complain about the food here. This is a low-to-moderate priced All Inclusive with an enormous buffet, plus a few a la cart restaurants. Yes, some of the choices might not be amazing ( or even very good on a bad day ) but if you can't find something that is satisfactory, I would honestly suggest looking to a much higher-priced accommodation to suit your tastes. You get what you pay for most of the time.

I will say right off the top that the Santa Fe basically has no wine - anywhere. They do have one house red and one house white, but honestly they're pretty bad. No other choices at all. Just an important FYI If you like drinking wine most of the time - like my wife - you'll have to get your own. There's a Costco or El Walmarto across the highway ( can't remember which ), so you can go and stock up on some bottles there. That's the only thing that I really think the Santa Fe needs to address, as it's the first All Inclusive I've been to that you can't have a glass of (drinkable) wine with the awesome steak, fish, or chile relleno etc. that they serve.

The buffet has a bit of everything ( literally ) so you really shouldn't have too much trouble putting together a plate. Some things we tried didn't taste like what you might expect, and some things were downright amazing. This was at the buffet. The food we had at the Steakhouse and Mexican a la carts was excellent. Don't know who makes the soup at the Steakhouse, but they are a highlight. Yes, the reservation system for the theme restaurants is a pain, but the Steakhouse is open as a buffet for breakfast and lunch without any reservations. Not sure about the others as we were in Building 7, so we were right beside the Steakhouse and didn't feel the need to wonder any farther from our sun-soaked loungers.

**Travelers Tip** The buffet etc. is all you can eat. I highly recommend you take bite-sized portions of the different things you want to try, and then go back for more once you figure out what you like. Not only will you still get a chance to eat as much of what you want, but it will help cut down what I'm sure is a huge amount of wasted food at All Inclusives. Better to decide after your one bite that you don't like the mashed potatoes or prime rib and not getting more, instead of throwing out a half a plate of the stuff. Food for thought anyway - pun intended. Okay, off the soapbox now.

Rooms were comfortable, clean, and the a/c was functioning perfectly. Building 7 wasn't noisy at all so I wouldn't hesitate staying there again. Pool was great. Entertainment at the "party pool" was, well, entertaining :) Always something going on there, but never so loud or overdone that people looking for a relaxing time couldn't chill. The other pools seemed even mellower. The Santa Fe is on a beautiful, albeit unswimmable beach, but really the pools were all we needed. Sitting in the Infinity Pool with a drink and looking out at the beach and the surf was a holiday in itself. Drinks at the pool bars were okay - a little small, but you can bring your own cup. I wish at least one of the pool bars on the beach side was open until 10 or 11:00 p.m. though, as they close at 5 or 6:00. It would be such a great place to have a drink in the evening listening to the waves.

We didn't catch much of the on-site evening entertainment so I can't comment on it, but I will say your late-night choice is pretty much the Disco. Not much to write about there. Might be okay if you have your own small group, but it's kind of in need of an upgrade and it's quite small as well. We went off-site for our nights out. Another FYI.......if you're planning on grabbing something to eat after the buffet closes, your choice is basically limited to a cold hamburger or sandwich from the "community" fridge in the Sports Bar. It would be nice if the Santa Fe could keep one kitchen open with a small "late-night" menu for us (hungry) night owls.

All in all it was a great trip. The staff - from Housekeeping to the Chefs, Servers and Maitre d's - where very friendly and gracious. Of course there were a few exceptions, but that's the same no matter where you go in the world. A nice, clean, stomach-friendly A.I. in beautiful Cabo for a very reasonable price. What more could you ask for??

One final comment - PLEASE tip the servers and staff. These people work very hard for very little.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Stayed the beginning of October. The resort in beautiful! The other reviews make it sound like you will be walking for days to get anywhere, that's not the case. The food is good,every meal there is lots to choose from so you won't starve. Rooms are nice. Stayed in building 4 and everything was clean and in working order. The pools were clean and we could always get a lounger. Staff was great very helpful and never waited more then a couple minuets for a drink. So over all a great trip and for the price I would defiantly come back.

• Stayed October 2012
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Riu 11/22-11/26. This was our first stay in Cabo. The check in was quick and the staff was friendly. The property is huge but easy to navigate.

We stayed in building 7. I would recommend staying in this building. The views of the peninsula are amazing! It is close to the infinity pool and has easy access to the beach. You can't swim at the hotel beach but if you take a short (1/4 mile) walk, the beach is swimmable.

The food at the buffet was decent and there was a good selection. As stated in many posts the wine at dinner is not very good. My husband and I stuck to beer and shots. The liquor is watered down. Rather than complain order a double and move on. =)

All in all, we had a great time. The Riu was well maintained and beautifully landscaped. The staff is friendly and the rooms are clean.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I have been to Cabo one other time and had a spectacular time. When it came time for my husband, my infant son and I to go it wasn't hard to convince him but where would be the question. We wanted something all inclusive, and there isn't much of those resorts in Cabo. It was down to dreams or the Riu. Being that we were traveling with another family who had heard about it as well we went with the Riu. When we arrived we were told they no king beds available they are only upon request ( which we had when we booked 3 months earlier) and the promised we'd have a crib. We finally get to our room after what seemed like walking for hours and there is no crib, 2 beds and oh no view like I had requested (and had been charged for) when I called down they said they can put the beds together, the crib won't be ready until later and they don't have any rooms with a view over looking the ocean. Umm ok! We go into the bathroom to find a bar of soap and that's it for toiletries...off to the buffet. The food was awful, very salty. All they have for desert it seems is jello and chocolate cake. After dinner we wen to te bar to find out all of the drinks are made with artificial sweetener which I am allergic to, great. We head back to the room crib still isn't there. An hour later and alot if calls down to the main lobby it finally arrived along with a team to put the beds together. All in all you get what you pay for I guess? But we paid alot to spend time here. The main pool was cold, the bar one wasn't and I don't want to ask why and even the restaurant food was awful. The only one we didn't go to was steak because we left the resort and went to the office ( awesome Mexican restaurant in town) the staff is nice...but I just wanted the whole package to be nice not just things here and there. I guess if your single without kids it would be fun, my husband and I kept referring to it as Vegas in Cabo and that's how we felt when we left by the way. Next time a smaller resort where your a name not a number.

• Stayed November 2012
Brandon, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Riu Sante Fe from October 22nd, 2012-October 29th, 2012. Our first time being in Mexico we had an awesome ocean view. The resort was pretty nice but, the walk to the lobby was a trek and a half. The layout is pretty poor, we found ourselves lost for the first have of our stay. The food was okay, got pretty boring after a few days. The pools were pretty nice, the entertainment got pretty boring.. same old thing everyday. The staff was very friendly and seemed very happy to be working there. Our room was always nicely cleaned and the Jacuzzi in our room was wonderful. The safe in our room didn't work half the time. I found it a little high priced for what we got.. not sure If I'll be back to Mexico again, just an average stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!