“Rui Santa Fe Review from Blaine, WA. (A+) more than we expected!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

You added Hotel Riu Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Package Sale!
Ranked #38 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Blaine, Washington
“Rui Santa Fe Review from Blaine, WA. (A+) more than we expected!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Rest & Relaxation in Cabo was what my husband, daughter (23) and I needed at such a fun hotel during the week of October 21-29th and we will go back again, but when isn't soon enough. We had been to Cancun 12 years ago at an All Inclusive and we had great memories of this family trip and Rui Santa Fe measured up even more! In summary, we had the best room of the hotel in Bldg. #7 worth the extra $ to see the view each day. Look at the photo of the hotel in their add and we were right below the "R" sign and couldn't believe what an extra $7 gave us at the lobby check in when I asked for a great room to enjoy our trip. The food at the buffets was better than we expected after reading the reviews,we ate at the Steakhouse (not bad) and yes, the wine was not good, but ask for something else to drink. The buffets are plentiful. The infinity pools are awesome. Bring enough sunscreen or you will pay $22 that will last two days at the hotel. Ok, the pool staff Jenny and crew go way out of their way to make sure everyone is treated special and they make sure everyone has a good time. I never even had time to read a book (a few magazines that I brought) because there is so much too do and nice people to meet with great conversations. Water aerobics, volleyball,beach walks, etc. are a few of the things. All of us had fun throughout the day with different activities. The grounds are SO Clean. I walked early every morning and they scrub the concrete around the pool and clean the pools to perfection and I appreciate this (I go to Las Vegas and the pools aren't even this clean on trips) and tipped these workers, the maids, the bathroom attendants, and staff $1 American bills, and ok a few harder workers got $5 tips because they deserved it and they really work hard! The shows are pretty good and while we went to all the entertainment events every night but one, they were pretty good and didn't cost a dime! We never spent much time in our rooms and they were cleaned to perfection. Our safe wouldn't work one day and someone was there in 7 minutes and I was shocked. Leave valuables in your safe and you won't have any problems. Everyone around us at the pool was trustworthy and we watched out for each other. There were cell phones and valuables close by and no one we talked too missed anything. Don't leave anything of great value laying out in your room as this is common sense! My husband and daughter spent three 1/2 days at the Marina at Mante Scuba Diving and got certified for scuba diving there. While they were there two of the days I went shopping by myself (age 53) and I felt totally save walking around the marina and flea market myself and got some great deals here and at the mall. I talked to several cruise ship guests both times as cruise ships come into Cabo at the marina and learned a few things from walking around visiting with other tourists and Cabo friendly people. It was safe here. Oh, yes the locals at the beach sell jewerly too and my daughter and I got a few great deals. I felt somewhat bad that the deals were so good. As for the beach, it is beautiful and we loved going into the water too. For me, I went in to my knees because the waves are high. My daughter and husband are good swimmers, but were very cautious to not go very far at all because it can be dangerous. Walk 1/2 way to the marina and it is a better place to swim. The water is SO WARM though you will love it! It was 82-88 degrees when we were there, perfect each day! The only complaint my husband and I would have is the beds, but when you have had a fun day and go to bed late like we did and I was up walking at 6:45 am in the morning you collapse anyway. I feared I would gain a lot of weight eating at the buffets, but came back only 1 pound heavier because with walking from Bldg. 7 to the main part of the hotel 3-4 times a day (and my walk since I am a walker) paid off so I could eat what I wanted knowing water activities in the pool were plentiful for even more exercise. This hotel really is not anything compared to Vegas or hotels in Arizona for example, but totally worth the $ and met our expectations for many other reasons. There are couples,families,extended famlies and families with young children all having a great time and several older folks in wheel chairs enjoying their time because it is such an enjoyable place. As for transportation we took a cab to the marina for all three of us and paid $12 which was not bad really because we learn a lot talking to the drivers too.Safe drivers in Cabo compared to Cancun! The only thing I really missed was a coffee pot in my room. I went there knowing this, but learned quickly there is coffee early around the resort. As for drinks and alcohol they were plentiful. Just ask ask and you will receive! I learned a lot of new drinks and my daughter enjoyed herself too, as well as my husband as we all enjoy different beverages. There is something for everyone. Drink bottled water and at the lobby in Bldg. #7 they always have water bottles in the drawer, just ask for them. Getting reservations at 7:00 am was no problem ever since I am early am riser, while my husband and daughter slept in. My 23 year old daughter Krystal had a blast meeting people in the pool and can't wait to take her friends her sometime.We had no problems with internent access either, but watch your cell phone bill and get international access set up which we did with ATT, but our family plan jumped $100 more once I just got our bill, but we needed this for calls.I want to say that this trip was Alll Inclusive and we never spent $ on eating out anywhere which surprised us. We even had drinks right before we left waiting for our transport service to the airport and picked up our lunch to go at the Sports bar with fruit and sandwiches which we ate at the airport while we waited for our flight. Oh, one more reminder and this is all it is because it is minor but worth mentioning, there were some flies around, but this did not bug us. I have been camping in Washington and horse flies bug me, but a fly here and there is acceptable. You will see a few moths on the cement walls but they are few and harmless. The buffets again have a variety of food and we had lots to choose from at all times, but the desserts were ok, but rarely did we need any. There is so much to select from that you will be surprised and at the California Buffet the white talble clothes and linens are added touches to the whole meal. You will also take lots of photos to remember your time at the Rui. Say, hi to Jenny when you go to the Rui from Ryan, Kathy and Krystal and just know the pool staff is what makes this place rock for fun and excitement all day and night. You will learn they work from sunrise to 11:00pm and sometimes later. Book your trip now here and you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay in Building 7 and pay the little bit of extra $ for a ocean view that will take your breath awa...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,292)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I got my iPhone,iPods stolen right out of my top drawer under some underwear. For them to find it they would have had to dig deep. It magically appeared when I offered a reward and ha to have it shipped to me which was a nightmare. Also they spray toxic chemicals in the rooms to kill the bugs and wouldn't Tell me the name of the chemicals as they still use DDT in Mexico. Also they would paint in the next room while I was sleeping and the fumes made us all sick. Also u can't get a hold of anyone at riu Spain they have gone to great lengths to hide from customers complaining. It's well documented.

• Stayed March 2012
Levis, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I were at the Riu Santa Fé Nov. 05-12, 2012 for the first time. The resort is huge and very well located between San-José (airport at 45 min.) and Cabo San-Lucas (about 15 min.); with Costco and Walmart not far away; the frequent local bus (1$) is easy to use.
Excellent 5 stars: resort landscaping, outdoor and indoor cleanliness, excellent food at buffets and restaurants (but personnel too quick at the restaurants), excellent service, everything is well organized with efficiency.
Good 4 stars: room, bathroom
Poor 2 stars: entertainement at night (continuation of the day animation); only one real show
Suggestion: Keep an eye on your personnal effects (a dress disappeared in our room) and a book + magazine on our chairs nearby the pool; also check your towels (a few people when they returned at their chairs had to pay for their towels missing)

Room Tip: Select a room in block 7 close to the beach and where the animation is.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Riu Santa Fe is awesome!! I've never had an all-inclusive deal before and was sceptical - it sounded too good to be true but... It wasn't! It was excellent value for money.
The rooms are very clean and well kept, as are the grounds of the hotel. It was handy having the bar stocked regularly if you wanted to have a few quiet drinks in the room before heading to dinner or the club (all of these drinks were still part of the all-inclusive price).
We stayed in an ocean view room which had a lovely view of the ocean but also the infinity pool.
It was probably the most fun resort I've stayed at. The games at the pool were hilarious and entertaining - the staff were great & so fun and friendly! They made sure everyone was enjoying themselves! It was good to have variety with so many restaurants. And having so many bars was good as it was always busy. The nightclub was fun as well - everyone seemed to want to go out and have a good time while we were there.
We met some really nice people there, both the staff and those on vacation. I hope to go back to Mexico again one day, loved it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went to the Santa Fe in Cabo as part of a wedding party from Nov. 8 to the 15th of Nov. 2012. There was a total of 37, including family, friends and children.
The problems started at the front desk on arrival. Most of us checked in O.K. although we were informed that we would have all of our keys handed to us on the bus ride from the airport. That did not happen, No big deal. However, the bride and groom to be, were left out in the lobby as the RIu did not have them in the system. No matter how hard they pleaded the hotel said that they were not registered and that the issue was with the tour operator. (Sun Wing to be precise). After a long battle with the front desk, the wedding planner came to the rescue and vouched that they were there for a wedding and they gave them a room.
On the positive side, the setting of the hotel is great. Very nice beach with a close up view of the major site of the point of the peninsula. Pools were nice and the food was better than average, HOWEVER, if you like wine with your dinner FORGET IT! The wine that they serve is the worst tasting wine I have tasted at a resort. The wine comes from plastic hoses that they use to fill decanters with and in some cases they even used wine bottles to fill with their cheap wine. The next day we went to Walmart which is close by and bought our own wine to take into the restaurants. We saw other guests do the same.
The wedding part of the holiday went off without a hitch. Guadalupe, the wedding coordinator did a great job of getting it all together. It's too bad the rest of the staff did not have her motivation to do a good job. The staff in general were not to friendly or happy to be there.
The end of our stay was met with a huge issue. One by one, members of our group took sick. Six in total. We had to call the house physician. $80.00 to go to her office or $100 for a room visit. If you can't get out of bed which was the case it was $100. then another $100 for the shots and medication. The physician told me that she saw at least two people per day with Montezumas Revenge. Not a good lasting impression for the last two days there.
There is not one of a group of 37 that would go back there.
We discovered that the chamber maids did not replace used glasses with clean sterilized ones but instead washed them in the bathroom sinks and put them back out. Makes a lot of sense when they tell you not to brush your teeth with the sink water or to drink it but yet they wash the glasses that you drink from with the contaminated water.

Room Tip: Building Number Seven is closest to the ocean but a really long walk from the lobby and most of the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

my 3rd riu resort to visit, and i love it...great everything and nice beach.

the only bad thing is the location since all resorts are away from the clubs, but they have taxis going from resort to the clubs, about 10 min ride.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Fredericton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had a group of about 30 go down for a wedding, ranging in age from 6 to 70. Dates of arrival: Nov 8/9, leaving Nov 15/16. The bulk of the group got there Thursday (including the Bride and Groom) - and oops, we don't have a room for you, Bride and Groom. The front desk staff were not helpful at all. The rest of us got there Friday.

The good: I will say, the waitstaff and the entertainment staff were great. There were always maids and groundspeople cleaning everywhere as well.

The bad: The front desk staff seem to be kind of power-hungry (and inept). On my last night there, I'm in my room packing (with the Do Not Disturb sign on my door). There's a knock, and then a couple walks in with their luggage. There was a mix-up with my reservation, the hotel seemed to think I had checked out that day. So the front desk calls me - do I get a "sorry, there seems to be some confusion, could you come down..."? Nope. Instead, the guy on the phone was accusatory "You were supposed to check out today, if you don't come down and check out, we will charge you for another night". When I went down to reception and showed them my confirmation sheets of when I was checking out, all I got was "I have to photocopy these". No sorry, no nothing. I was not impressed. Thankfully I was fully dressed when the couple walked in - can you imagine????

Six of our group of 30+ got sick, two greatly so (we called the doctor for one of them, and she is still trying to recover, almost a week later). The others are still experiencing bathroom issues as well.

Overall: would I come back to this resort? No. Would I recommend it to my friends? No. If only one or two issues had come up during the week, I could excuse that. But there were too many issues with our group (and we're not drinkers - but maybe that was the problem, we were sober so we noticed all the problems?).

Room Tip: Bulding # 7 has the oceanview rooms, and is right where the party pool is. It is close to the lunch...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!