“The staff ransacked my room while I was at the pool” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #38 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“The staff ransacked my room while I was at the pool”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I got my iPhone,iPods stolen right out of my top drawer under some underwear. For them to find it they would have had to dig deep. It magically appeared when I offered a reward and ha to have it shipped to me which was a nightmare. Also they spray toxic chemicals in the rooms to kill the bugs and wouldn't Tell me the name of the chemicals as they still use DDT in Mexico. Also they would paint in the next room while I was sleeping and the fumes made us all sick. Also u can't get a hold of anyone at riu Spain they have gone to great lengths to hide from customers complaining. It's well documented.

• Stayed March 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,258)
Levis, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My wife and I were at the Riu Santa Fé Nov. 05-12, 2012 for the first time. The resort is huge and very well located between San-José (airport at 45 min.) and Cabo San-Lucas (about 15 min.); with Costco and Walmart not far away; the frequent local bus (1$) is easy to use.
Excellent 5 stars: resort landscaping, outdoor and indoor cleanliness, excellent food at buffets and restaurants (but personnel too quick at the restaurants), excellent service, everything is well organized with efficiency.
Good 4 stars: room, bathroom
Poor 2 stars: entertainement at night (continuation of the day animation); only one real show
Suggestion: Keep an eye on your personnal effects (a dress disappeared in our room) and a book + magazine on our chairs nearby the pool; also check your towels (a few people when they returned at their chairs had to pay for their towels missing)

Room Tip: Select a room in block 7 close to the beach and where the animation is.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Riu Santa Fe is awesome!! I've never had an all-inclusive deal before and was sceptical - it sounded too good to be true but... It wasn't! It was excellent value for money.
The rooms are very clean and well kept, as are the grounds of the hotel. It was handy having the bar stocked regularly if you wanted to have a few quiet drinks in the room before heading to dinner or the club (all of these drinks were still part of the all-inclusive price).
We stayed in an ocean view room which had a lovely view of the ocean but also the infinity pool.
It was probably the most fun resort I've stayed at. The games at the pool were hilarious and entertaining - the staff were great & so fun and friendly! They made sure everyone was enjoying themselves! It was good to have variety with so many restaurants. And having so many bars was good as it was always busy. The nightclub was fun as well - everyone seemed to want to go out and have a good time while we were there.
We met some really nice people there, both the staff and those on vacation. I hope to go back to Mexico again one day, loved it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went to the Santa Fe in Cabo as part of a wedding party from Nov. 8 to the 15th of Nov. 2012. There was a total of 37, including family, friends and children.
The problems started at the front desk on arrival. Most of us checked in O.K. although we were informed that we would have all of our keys handed to us on the bus ride from the airport. That did not happen, No big deal. However, the bride and groom to be, were left out in the lobby as the RIu did not have them in the system. No matter how hard they pleaded the hotel said that they were not registered and that the issue was with the tour operator. (Sun Wing to be precise). After a long battle with the front desk, the wedding planner came to the rescue and vouched that they were there for a wedding and they gave them a room.
On the positive side, the setting of the hotel is great. Very nice beach with a close up view of the major site of the point of the peninsula. Pools were nice and the food was better than average, HOWEVER, if you like wine with your dinner FORGET IT! The wine that they serve is the worst tasting wine I have tasted at a resort. The wine comes from plastic hoses that they use to fill decanters with and in some cases they even used wine bottles to fill with their cheap wine. The next day we went to Walmart which is close by and bought our own wine to take into the restaurants. We saw other guests do the same.
The wedding part of the holiday went off without a hitch. Guadalupe, the wedding coordinator did a great job of getting it all together. It's too bad the rest of the staff did not have her motivation to do a good job. The staff in general were not to friendly or happy to be there.
The end of our stay was met with a huge issue. One by one, members of our group took sick. Six in total. We had to call the house physician. $80.00 to go to her office or $100 for a room visit. If you can't get out of bed which was the case it was $100. then another $100 for the shots and medication. The physician told me that she saw at least two people per day with Montezumas Revenge. Not a good lasting impression for the last two days there.
There is not one of a group of 37 that would go back there.
We discovered that the chamber maids did not replace used glasses with clean sterilized ones but instead washed them in the bathroom sinks and put them back out. Makes a lot of sense when they tell you not to brush your teeth with the sink water or to drink it but yet they wash the glasses that you drink from with the contaminated water.

Room Tip: Building Number Seven is closest to the ocean but a really long walk from the lobby and most of the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

my 3rd riu resort to visit, and i love it...great everything and nice beach.

the only bad thing is the location since all resorts are away from the clubs, but they have taxis going from resort to the clubs, about 10 min ride.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Fredericton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had a group of about 30 go down for a wedding, ranging in age from 6 to 70. Dates of arrival: Nov 8/9, leaving Nov 15/16. The bulk of the group got there Thursday (including the Bride and Groom) - and oops, we don't have a room for you, Bride and Groom. The front desk staff were not helpful at all. The rest of us got there Friday.

The good: I will say, the waitstaff and the entertainment staff were great. There were always maids and groundspeople cleaning everywhere as well.

The bad: The front desk staff seem to be kind of power-hungry (and inept). On my last night there, I'm in my room packing (with the Do Not Disturb sign on my door). There's a knock, and then a couple walks in with their luggage. There was a mix-up with my reservation, the hotel seemed to think I had checked out that day. So the front desk calls me - do I get a "sorry, there seems to be some confusion, could you come down..."? Nope. Instead, the guy on the phone was accusatory "You were supposed to check out today, if you don't come down and check out, we will charge you for another night". When I went down to reception and showed them my confirmation sheets of when I was checking out, all I got was "I have to photocopy these". No sorry, no nothing. I was not impressed. Thankfully I was fully dressed when the couple walked in - can you imagine????

Six of our group of 30+ got sick, two greatly so (we called the doctor for one of them, and she is still trying to recover, almost a week later). The others are still experiencing bathroom issues as well.

Overall: would I come back to this resort? No. Would I recommend it to my friends? No. If only one or two issues had come up during the week, I could excuse that. But there were too many issues with our group (and we're not drinkers - but maybe that was the problem, we were sober so we noticed all the problems?).

Room Tip: Bulding # 7 has the oceanview rooms, and is right where the party pool is. It is close to the lunch...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Back in 2009 I wrote a review after staying at this hotel and said that it was the best all-inclusive based on my 10 years of traveling in Mexico! Well, we went back in November of this year and it is still on the top of my list. This time we statyed in a Jacuzzi Suite #7326 and it is was the best room at the hotel, guaranteed! The service at the restaurants and bars were excellent. They had a good selection of food but most of their dishes are mexican food, but we are in Mexico. :) When you go, see Armando at the pool side bar and Martin will take care of you at the buffet. The drinks are made very quickly and they pour the min amt of alcohol but all you have to do is ask for an extra shot and you GET IT! Don't forget, they stock your room with hard liquor, beer, soda and water, so you can make your own drinks and when you are low, just give em' a call and they will restock. When you go into town, take the water taxi for $12. which includes a 20 ride to Los Arcos and ask them to drop you off at the Marina, which is right in the heart of downtown. For the NFL Games, go to Cabo Catina! When we travel next, it will be at a RIU and when we go back to Cabo, you will find us at the Santa Fe.

Room Tip: If you choose a garden view room, ask for Building 7, it's the closest to the ocean. If you wan...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!