“great resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Santa Fe to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #34 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
New York City, New York
“great resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

my 3rd riu resort to visit, and i love it...great everything and nice beach.

the only bad thing is the location since all resorts are away from the clubs, but they have taxis going from resort to the clubs, about 10 min ride.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

4,355 people have reviewed this hotel

1931
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,185)
Fredericton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We had a group of about 30 go down for a wedding, ranging in age from 6 to 70. Dates of arrival: Nov 8/9, leaving Nov 15/16. The bulk of the group got there Thursday (including the Bride and Groom) - and oops, we don't have a room for you, Bride and Groom. The front desk staff were not helpful at all. The rest of us got there Friday.

The good: I will say, the waitstaff and the entertainment staff were great. There were always maids and groundspeople cleaning everywhere as well.

The bad: The front desk staff seem to be kind of power-hungry (and inept). On my last night there, I'm in my room packing (with the Do Not Disturb sign on my door). There's a knock, and then a couple walks in with their luggage. There was a mix-up with my reservation, the hotel seemed to think I had checked out that day. So the front desk calls me - do I get a "sorry, there seems to be some confusion, could you come down..."? Nope. Instead, the guy on the phone was accusatory "You were supposed to check out today, if you don't come down and check out, we will charge you for another night". When I went down to reception and showed them my confirmation sheets of when I was checking out, all I got was "I have to photocopy these". No sorry, no nothing. I was not impressed. Thankfully I was fully dressed when the couple walked in - can you imagine????

Six of our group of 30+ got sick, two greatly so (we called the doctor for one of them, and she is still trying to recover, almost a week later). The others are still experiencing bathroom issues as well.

Overall: would I come back to this resort? No. Would I recommend it to my friends? No. If only one or two issues had come up during the week, I could excuse that. But there were too many issues with our group (and we're not drinkers - but maybe that was the problem, we were sober so we noticed all the problems?).

Room Tip: Bulding # 7 has the oceanview rooms, and is right where the party pool is. It is close to the lunch...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Back in 2009 I wrote a review after staying at this hotel and said that it was the best all-inclusive based on my 10 years of traveling in Mexico! Well, we went back in November of this year and it is still on the top of my list. This time we statyed in a Jacuzzi Suite #7326 and it is was the best room at the hotel, guaranteed! The service at the restaurants and bars were excellent. They had a good selection of food but most of their dishes are mexican food, but we are in Mexico. :) When you go, see Armando at the pool side bar and Martin will take care of you at the buffet. The drinks are made very quickly and they pour the min amt of alcohol but all you have to do is ask for an extra shot and you GET IT! Don't forget, they stock your room with hard liquor, beer, soda and water, so you can make your own drinks and when you are low, just give em' a call and they will restock. When you go into town, take the water taxi for $12. which includes a 20 ride to Los Arcos and ask them to drop you off at the Marina, which is right in the heart of downtown. For the NFL Games, go to Cabo Catina! When we travel next, it will be at a RIU and when we go back to Cabo, you will find us at the Santa Fe.

Room Tip: If you choose a garden view room, ask for Building 7, it's the closest to the ocean. If you wan...
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I went down to Cabo Nov. 5-11 for the first time after a lot of hesitation. Neither of us had much interest in visiting Mexico due to the overall safety concerns the country poses. but we are thrilled at this experience at the Riu Santa Fe. We booked through Alaska Airlines Vacations and got a wicked deal. As our first choice for this holiday was going to be Hawaii (would have been over $2500 just for flight and hotel only) the value this resort offers was fantastic. We booked airport transfers with the package so that alleviated the stress of trying to get to the hotel. With all the pushy timeshare sellers as soon as you walk out,it's a bit much. The drive from the airport is approx. 30 min. you go past all the malls, run down down buildings, timeshares, costcos and walmarts. It's a weird mix of Mexico and America in Cabo, I guess kind of like Cancun. When we arrived at the hotel, the porters take your bags into the lobby while you go check in. Check in went smooth and quickly although they didn't have a room assigned to us when we got there,they found us one right away. We were placed in building 6. which we both felt after walking around for the week was a great location. Close to the lobby bars and entertainment, and buffet. short 2min walk to the pools by the beach.

our room was on the 2nd floor so had to lug the suitcase up, no elevator, but no big deal for us. the porter in the lobby did ask if we wanted our bags brought to our rooms and we did decline so that we could have them right away.

The Room:
clean, modern, king size bed (not too hard, but not plush by any means)
Pillows are a bit flat and lumpy though (I'd go to walmart next time and buy one, lol)
washroom was in good condition, clean deep tub/shower combo (though very narrow, if you were a larger person you def. could not have a bath)
bar fridge and liq. dispenser - fantastic. restocked daily with litre bottles of water, soda and beer - brush your teeth with the bottled water, the tap water is not drinkable.
My only complaint about the room would be temperature control. It's either really cold if you have the AC on or really warm if you turn it off. There is a ceiling fan above the bed, but again its on fast or off, no other settings, so you get really cold quickly when laying in bed.
TV has about 3-4 english tv shows with spanish subtitles so if you dont feel like being out partying one or two nights you can chill in your room and veg out.

The Resort:

beautiful, clean, well layed out - there is always someone cleaning or gardening.
Location is amazing, view of the arches
Water is beautiful, (I thought it would be dirty brown like the Mazatlan) - though you cant swim in front of the resort. water is crazy rough
The pools- by the lobby is a huge pool with swim up bar. It seemed like the more mellow pool to be at if you wanted to get away or if you had the kids with you.
The pools near the beach were great, always had something going on, there are 3 infinity pools with swim up bars at 2 of them.
The only thing that was really annoying is the sound echoing down the hall when people come in late from the bar, as everything is stone it's sooooo loud, also people slamming their doors- can wake u up.
Dont mind the GIANT moths and small bats everywhere, they're harmless.
The Drinks:
the drinks at the lobby bar were always great in the evening.
the drinks at the pool bars were good, but like anywhere different bartenders make the same drink differently
They had a lot of brand name liq. which was great, but they also ran out of it quick.
The wine in the restaurants is disgusting, I wouldn't recommend (buy a bottle in town and bring it with you)
The beer in the restaurants tastes off as well.
The beer at the pool bars isn't too bad, but it's all draft at the resort, except for what you get in your room.
The mix/juice.- beware if you don't like artificial sweeteners, everything tastes like it - which to us is gross. they don't tell you it isn't regular stuff either so if you had an allergy to it you could be in trouble.

The Food:
The buffet was great. always a huge choice in food options. Most of what I ate was delicious, only a few items were not to my liking, but nothing to fuss over.
The dessert bar is huge, though some items that looked beautiful and delicious turned out to be kinda gross and bland.

The a la carte restaurants:
This whole procedure kind of annoyed me, and not because of anything bad at this resort, it's just the concept of having to go early to put your name down for a reservation. when we first got here it was hard to get an early seating for any of them. who wants dinner at 9pm? I dont know if i'll be around at that time. Being on holidays means not having expectations to be somewhere or plan in my books.

The service at the restaurants was fantastic,
Asian restaurant:
tons of sushi
tons of fried food
a mix of all asian cuisines
The miso soup was good
If you dont eat ocean products like me, you can leave this experience feeling gross from the all the fried options.

Steakhouse:
delicious steak
great service, near the ocean
the fried food appetizer wasnt my thing, but my boyfriend ate it.
the soup was a tomato on one half the bowl and potato on the otherhalf- very good.
Cesar salad was good

Italian:
We missed our reservation for this one unfortunately as i had a very long hangover that day. but I was told you got the same sort of pasta like the one you could get any day in the buffet.

the all day snacks option is kinda gross in the sportsbar (nachos and cheese-like 711 nachos, hamburgers and hotdogs that are in a fridge and you microwave, and pastries that look like they've been there all week and had a fly buzzing around in the display case, eww)

The People:

AMAZING! so warm, friendly and helpful.
everyone was always smiling, and genuinely seemed to be happy to be there and always said hello when you walked past.
Bartender work their butts off
The housekeepers do lots of towel art on your bed - so cool.
The entertainers work so hard to engage and entertain the guests. always something to participate in or watch.

The Entertainment:
WOW!!! so good. first day we got there and there was a Michael Jackson thriller tribute. unreal! I dont really even like michael Jackson and it was beyond fantastic.
Next day was Grease, then Broadway, then a bunch of other shows,
Disco seemed dead every night, the place to be on the resort at night was the lobby bars.
went to the disco one night after we got back from being in town.

Internet:
only can use it in the lobby and you have to use your free 90 minutes all at once, you cant be on for 10 min and come back later and try to get on again, it will lock you out till the following day.

Onsite Bank Machines:
sneaky, have certain commands written in spanish and english, but when it comes to asking you to accept service charges it only writes it in spanish. wtf. so you dont really know what you're agreeing to. We figured it out with some help.

Tips:

Bring lots of sunblock with you, we had 2 bottles and ran out. they are $20 US for a bottle onsite
Bring LOTS of small bills, $1,$5 USD
Tip the housekeeper daily- you'll get great service and it could safe you a theft
Tip the bartender upfront and you will get great service
tip the wait staff in the restaurants, they work hard.
Lock you suitcase when you're not in your room. - we didn't have any issues in our room, but we also didn't create opportunities for theft either. a couple we met had their laptop stolen, but they did leave it out on their nightstand.
If you take the water taxi over to lovers beach, it's really crazy trying to get in and out of the boat, be prepared for bruising.- on the other side people will assist you and then ask you for money and make you feel like a douche if you dont give them a tip
Going into town for a night out is approx. 140 pesos each way

We had a great time here, met some amazing people, relaxed, partied, chilled. Great overall value. Fun resort. a mix of older, younger, weddings, friends, couples, families - suitable for all without offending any one demographic.

On our trip the majority of people at the resort were Canadian - British Columbia, Alberta and Quebec, much to the dismay of some of the Americans we overheard complaining about it, lol. There were a minority of Americans, Germans, English and Brazilians. We met some fantastic couples from Chicago, Michigan and Montreal. Going as a couple was fun, and quality time together, but we both said it would be a great place to come back with our friends in tow.

I would def. recommend this resort we didn't really leave it for the week, and don't really feel like we missed out. We had a great time. Will be back again.

Room Tip: Building 6 was great. Very central to everything. we faced the Riu Palace it was very quiet.
Surrey BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We have just spend 5 nights at the RIU for the first time and it is a huge and wonderful resort. Checkin was very slow so they could use more staff and I did ask the Supervisor on duty as to why it was so slow. She said they usually plan ahead for a group and check them in as a group elsewhere but this was usual checkin, Well the people in front os us were a group of 18!. They did not have my sons reservation so I had to pay and follow up later.
Rooms are very nice and clean and maids do an awesome job creating animals out of towels.
Buffet Restaurant is very busy and is always running out of food. \they seem to have trouble keeping up. Food was okay and could better.
Shows were awesome especially Micheal Jackson...it was amazing and the entertainment staff do an awesome job.
The buffet closes at 10pm and the only place you can get food is at the sportsbar. Let me tell you the 24hrs all inclusive is incorrect. The sportsbar has premade packaged burgers and hot dogs and salads in a fridge. You have to take it our and warm it uo in the microwave. One night I got to the sportsbar and there was no food at 130am. There was only nachos. Food runs out everynight and there are no cooks to make more food until 7am when the Buffet opens.
The beach is very nice but the ocean has great undertow and is very dangerous. The hotel does not mention this on their website but from hearing stories people have been wahed away.
Riu is very huge and the main buliding is #7 which is quite a walk from the main building. This is where you see the picture of the pool overlooking the ocean., This is also where all the entertainment happens all day.The night entertainment happens at the main building so you have a bit of a walk.if you stay in #7
Resort is very beauitful and very well kept with friendly staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here there week of Nov 5-12th and LOVVVED IT! I was very worried after reading some bad reviews about what we were getting ourselves into... those reviews are full of it. This resort, the people, the food, the beach, the pools everything was amazing. Yes, the food gets a little repetitive, but they offere everything you could possibly want to eat, so of course it is going to be repetitive. We stayed in building 7, the extra money is well well worth it. Our trip alone was paid for by our view! The only, yes only downfall of this resort is the shows at night. The Michael Jackson one was amazing, Grease was ok, the others were just alright, we still watched but I've seen better. No you cannot swim in the beach infront of the resort, but you can walk down just a little ways and it is definatly swimmable. I highly recommend doing this! you can get massages for 30$ right on the beach, water activities are much cheaper down there an plus, the view from the beach is unbeleivable! People complained about the rooms smelling, not the case, they complained about t.vs being old... we didnt even turn ours on! You're on vacation, get out and enjoy!! The drinks, yes are sweet, but they will make you anything you want. We werent too fond of the beer at the resort but we would just walk down the beach and sit in the sand at a bar and drink Coronas for 2$, again worth doing!! Take a trip into town, very very afffordable, even to go for dinner and drinks 5$ gets you 2 Coronas and 2 shots of tequilla! Visit Happy Endings, that place is amazing! All in all this place is awesome, and every trip is what you make of it, the people youre with and the people you meet so dont go in expecting the world of something! Cabo its self is un real, the most beautiful place I have ever been (been to jamaica, dominican, cube and africa) Cabo blows them out of the water. Enjoy!

Room Tip: upgrade to building 7, its louder but only during the day and totally worth it!
Sedona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed in the RIU Santa Fe for 5 nights and enjoyed the food and accommodation although the food was not as good as other RIUs we have stayed at. While on vacation I must keep in contact with my business partners through the internet. For me, the internet was a big NO NO. Both the free (in lobby) and paid (in room) service are incredibly slow and can't be used with VOIP (e.g.Skype). In addition, the free 90 minutes per day starts at log-on and finishes 90 minutes later even if used for only a few minutes. Accordingly, one has to pay to access the internet more than once a day. Other RIU resorts I have stayed at provide better internet service.
The sea near the resort is too dangerous for swimming, but the pools are great.

Room Tip: Ask to check the room before bringing up the baggage and if not happy ask to be moved.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!