“PEACEFUL PLACE TO STAY...FRIENDLY VIBE AND GREAT GUESTS!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 7.3, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Ranked #22 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
San Diego CA
“PEACEFUL PLACE TO STAY...FRIENDLY VIBE AND GREAT GUESTS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

It is about a 30 minute taxi ride from the airport (we used Cielito Lindo for our transfers, and they are really GREAT!!). You definitely want to bring your own coffee, water, snacks. There is a nice ‘mini kitchen’ with a two burner electric stove, microwave, full size fridge/freezer and coffee pot.

We were in a studio unit. It had a nice view of the infinity edge pool and the swim up bar. There was also a peek view of the ocean. Beds were comfy. The clock radio was horrible… two employees later, no one could figure out how to set it, so we had to use our cell phone as our clock (we requested another clock, but it never arrived).

Check in was brutal! The line moves SLOWLY, since there are only three employees to do check-in’s. Fortunately, as you are standing in line, a waiter comes around with margaritas and bottled water (free except for a tip). Also, we met the nicest people in line and ended up having dinner with them! So, even though the line was awful, we ended up having a lot of fun with new friends and margaritas!

After check-in, the hard pressure time share presentaion sales people attack! This was a mom/daughter trip and we left the husbands at home. Typically, if you are married, both spouses must be available or you are not allowed to do a time share presentation. The attack sharks here said that missing spouses were not a problem, and were relentless. We finally had to get a bit gruff and told her to flat out, leave us alone. She was truly like a pit bull on our pant leg, but the bellman, saved us!

Other than a very rare seafood buffet, your ONLY choice for dinner, at the hotel, is Maria’s. We each had ‘Tres Enchilladas’, NO cocktails, ice cream for dessert and our bill was $50! The waiter made a mistake and brought us another tables appetizer. We did not know that this had happened (thought that the appetizer which was chips/salsa/guacamole was complimentary) until our bill arrived. This mistake (clearly NOT our fault) cost us $10.00 . The waiter did not speak enough English to make him understand that we had been wrongly charged, so we ended up being frustrated, but just paid it and went on with our evening.

Be prepared for VERY slow service. This comment is not intended as a negative; just a warning for all of my fellow Americans who are always in a hurry. The Mexican culture is so, so, so friendly, but it is just their culture not to rush and hurry, when dining. Often times, in Mexico, we have had to ask for our check, since the waiter/waitress does not want to make you feel rushed.

Overall, Hacienda Encantada is lovely. The pools are gorgeous, the setting is spectacular and the rooms are spacious. Also, since this is a timeshare, many of the guests that you meet, are owners and there is a very friendly ’vibe’ throughout.

The All Inclusive package is $85 per person (when you book at check in and they will throw in an 80 min. massage!), and normally, I am a big fan of A.I. packages; however, with only one restaurant at night to select from, it would be easy to get bored with your food choices.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

797 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Polish first
TACOMA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

This was the worst vacation experience ever. Let me start by saying it took FOUR days for the Hacienda Encantada to confirm our reservations. That should have been my warning. Unfortunately things only got worse from there. We were given a studio room in the ‘phase one’ of their property. In this particular room the blender didn’t work, the tv remote didn’t work, the patio door wouldn’t open and the coffee maker was broken as well. We didn’t realize the coffee maker was broken until the next morning when we tried to use it. The filter basket that holds the filter and coffee would not close all the way. As I was standing there the filter basket swung open and the scalding hot water (that was supposed to drip into the coffee pot) sprayed out the top and burned my right forearm. I sustained 5 2nd degree burns to my right arm… and this was DAY ONE! We went to the lobby and requested a different room & the concierge took pictures of my burns which were blistering and horrible looking. The second room (in Phase 2) was better except for the fact that in the room next door were 2 kids that screamed from 6:45 am until they went to bed. Once that family left, another couple with their two kids arrived. Same thing. Kids crying and screaming all day from the crack of dawn. I truly felt like I was at a motel 6.
We purchased groceries at walmart. The bellboy that helped us move from the first room to the second room, dropped our grocery bag, breaking a glass jar of salsa that we had just purchased. Now I understand that a jar of salsa is not that big of a deal, however, one would think that the bell boy would have offered to pay for it (since he dropped it) or at least get us some from the restaurant. But no, he did nothing to compensate us.
The nightly entertainment was a huge joke. There is absolutely nothing to do at the hacienda encantada in the evening. If you go for a walk (which we love to do) you can either go down to the cliffs and just sit, or walk up the hill and do the same…… sit. It’s dark, not lit up, and down right creepy.
If walking is difficulty for you, they have motorized trams. However, they are very loud and the exhaust fumes smell awful. The trams sound exactly like lawnmowers…. All day, all night, all you hear is the sound of lawnmowers……
The restaurant, Maria’s, provides a poor excuse for food. Besides being overpriced, the food is terrible. Let me tell you about our experience.. The night we chose to eat there their special was “all you can eat Chinese buffet”. not a single person was eating from the buffet and the reason is obvious. Gross. They had a nice looking fruit salad with apples, pineapple, mango etc…… and (are you sitting down??) they mixed SHRIMP into the fruit salad. First of all, that is extremely dangerous, not to mention unacceptable.
Since this is a Mexican restaurant, you would expect tortilla chips and salsa, right? This place gave us a basket of stale bread rolls and little pats of frozen butter. What the…..?
Then they brought out the tortilla soup that I ordered. No joke…… it was a bowl of enchilada sauce. I guess they think that if they feed people in the dark they wont know what they are eating. It was so awful I had the waiter take it back.
Like I mentioned, the restaurant is very dark. It was so dimly lit that a little older woman, in her 70’s, tripped over a step that wasn’t lit and fell face first onto the concrete floor and dislocated her left shoulder. What did the staff do??? Absolutely nothing. Luckily there were two other people and myself in the restaurant to help her up and get her arm into a make-shift sling that we made out of a table cloth.
After that drama, we sat down to eat. I ordered the chicken fajitas. At least half the chicken was fat and grizzle that I had to spit out. Needless to say we were quite disgusted with the experience at Maria’s.
The Hacienda Encantada provides soda and water in your room for a STEEP price. DON’T DRINK ANY or you will be paying $3.00 for a small bottle of water. You should also know that ‘someone’ (it was a man) comes into your room during the day to take a count of the soda and water that you have consumed so they can charge your account. The fact that a stranger comes into the room to count soda cans is beyond maddening.
I hope I haven’t bored you too much because there’s a lot more to tell.

STAY AWAY from the time share salesmen. This place is not worth your time, effort or money. It doesn’t matter what they offer or how good it sounds, DON’T BUY at the Hacienda Encantada.
There is absolutely no beach access. There are cliffs and rocks. No blue water to play and splash around in. if you do decide to climb the rocks be careful. They have made no effort to make it safe.
One night they had a ‘welcome guest’ party. They provided enough food for about half the guests. We waited an hour for someone to bring more food, which never showed up, and ended up just going back to our room.
In summary, the HACIENDA ENCANTADA is not worth your time and money. Your vacation will be filled with regret and frustration. Just avoid this resort at all costs. There are plenty of other higher quality resorts in cabo. Go somewhere else and enjoy your vacation.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
chandler arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Wentto Cabo in September and I'm assuming since it was low season that was the reason the hotel was so empty. Very nice grounds however there are two buildings. Phase 1 is right on the ocean and would be the preferred building. Phase 2, while nice, is somewhat obstructed by the first building. Service was fabulous (the place was empty ... more staff than people) and the grounds are very nice. No beach to walk on as this place is built overlooking a rock cliff but the pools are more than adequate. Getting to and from town can get pricey with cabs but I knew that going in so no big deal. The "all inclusive" option is $85 per person, per day and with each room's kitchenette, I could never see why someone would consider this. Great place to stay if you are looking for quiet.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I had a great time hear. I had an end room closest to the ocean which was more than I expected. Everyone was so happy and content. The best thing was leaving the balcony doors open at night to hear the waves crashing as you sleep. From the lobby to the bathrooms, everywhere was clean. The only thing I didn't see were the water chairs in the pool that shows on their website. The pool guy said the chair deteriorated due to sun and salt.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Farmington, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

To celebrate our wedding anniversary, my wife and I subscribed to an independent's offer to travel to Mexico and check out the Hacienda Encantada resort. Their offer included a 6 day\5 night stay and included almost all food, drinks and activities the resort offered for a pretty low price. We did have to attend a low pressure sales presentation on investing in this property to get the price offered.

Accommodations: Our room was a studio room, ground floor in their phase 2 building. We had a wonderful view looking out towards Cabo San Lucas and over the Sea of Cortez. Our room was very clean. The studio was quite large for lounging in. It also had a nice deck with nice chairs to go outside and relax on. The bathroom was large with a very large shower area, jetted tub and isolated room where the toilet is. In summary...A+ on the studio room at this resort.

Facilities: There were multiple pools that one could use. They are beautiful. Each had a food snack that had the ability to be accessed from the pool. They each had a very nice patio area where games are offered. There also is an area for kids to play that also has some water activities. The lower pools look out over the Sea of Cortez and offer an amazing view especially when the sun is going down in the evening. The resort has free wireless internet which worked extremely well. We used Skype to keep in touch with family...who live all over the world. They have a small store, a nice workout facility and a small spa. We did not use the spa. We did use the work out facility and found that to be quite nice. I would give the facilities an A.

Food: The resort does have one formal restaurant on site. It does have the two patio bars and food shacks during day time hours. The quality of the food is quite good. In five nights of dining at this location, we only had one bad experience. At the restaurant , my wife ordered a Filet Mignon. The piece of meat we received was as tough as my shoe. But all other food was quite yummy. Now having said that the quality is pretty good...the price is quite high. Our dinners that included non-alcoholic drinks, an appetizer and two main entrees averaged around $80 for the two of us. Seemed a bit high. But...the view from their restaurant is quite awesome and you are paying a bit for the location. Food...B+.

Location: Hacienda Encantada is about 7 kilometers away from the downtown\marina area of Cabo San Lucas. The hotel does offer a shuttle into its sister hotel (Marina Fiesta) which sits right on the marina. We rented a car for part of our trip and we were able to use the valet parking at Marina Fiesta when travelling into and exploring Cabo San Lucas. We like the quietness of being away from the downtown area. Much quieter...which is what we wanted. It was a little odd having to take a very undeveloped dirt road from the main highway to get to the resort. But the resort is about two thirds the way complete on a new road that will eliminate this dirt road. It really is no big deal...just odd. We liked the location of this property...we would give it an A.

We enjoyed Hacienda Encantada. I would consider restaying at this site if I ever have the need to return to the San Jose Del Cabo\Cabo San Lucas area.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
St. Croix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

First, I must say that I am a "Founding Member" of the resort. One of the first to buy there when there was nothing but dirt. It seemed like we were crazy at the time...buying something that wasn't even built in Mexico...but boy are we glad we did!

The resort has turned out to be a gem. I can't believe there are a couple of people on this forum rating the hotel as poor or terrible...are they certain they stayed at Hacienda Encantada? I would recommend the resort to anyone and several of our friends that have visited the resort with us have also purchased there...and for a lot more money than we paid pre-construction.

The location is stunning, the pools awesome, the staff is friendly and the food is very good. Some folks say it is too remote, but I would never stay at one of the resorts close to town. If you like a lot of teenagers getting drunk and lots of noise, stay at a resort close to town.

We are returning in January 2011 with several of our friends that also own there and can't wait!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

Am I really awarding this place five stars? For the value we got, YES!

We booked our vacation to Hacienda Encantada (HE) through IMS Vacations, which was running a promotion for 6 days / 5 nights all-inclusive for $399. http://loscabos5star.com/?gclid=CJStpazCv6QCFSD3iAodKV_BCw Too good to be true, or the resort is going to be junk, we thought. But we read the reviews and we spoke to the IMS sales rep on the phone and eventually purchased the 5 days / 4 nights package for a bit less. Either package required us to attend a 90 minute timeshare presentation onsite.

Summary – Overall, the resort was GREAT with only a few problems / issues.

1: IMS Vacations (booking) - If you book through IMS, don’t buy your airline tickets right away. IMS will charge you for the package immediately, but you won’t get confirmation from the hotel for your preferred dates for a few days. We spoke with a representative at HE by phone the day after purchasing the package, and he confirmed that the deal was legitimate, but it took him about 4 days to confirm our actual dates.

2: Airport transfers - We were picked up at the airport by TransCabo and delivered to HE as promised as part of our package. For the return HE arranged for TransCabo transport at $18/person.

3: Room – The room was a good sized hotel room with a balcony and a kitchenette with a full sized refrigerator [HE is a timeshare property]. Importantly, it was very clean. The bathroom was awesome – it was huge, tastefully designed, with two sinks, a large shower with plenty of water, a toilet that could be separated by a door, and a whirlpool bathtub. Everything we used in the room worked well and the room was CLEAN. The bed however was a bit soft. The décor of the room didn’t fit our personal taste, but overall it was a very nice room. Caveat for those that want a view of the sea: Our room was in Phase 2, which is the new building behind the original Phase 1 building. All of the rooms in Phase 1 are directly facing the Sea of Cortez and appear to have great, unobstructed views of the sea. In Phase 2 if you are not on one of the higher floors, your view of the sea may be blocked by the Phase 1 building. We were on the 4th floor of the Phase 2 building and we had a view of the sea, but only over the rooftop of the Phase 1 building. The landscaping and building colors are pleasing, so all in all, not a bad view for the price paid. If you’re paying full price, I would definitely try to get a Phase 1 room if you care about the view.

4: Food – We had the all-inclusive package and had access to all the restaurants onsite. We’re from San Francisco and have little tolerance for bad food. Overall, the food was very good and in some cases excellent. Everything was freshly cooked and tasty, and the staff was happy to make any modifications to the menu items or accommodate special requests that we made. When I commented that the orange juice and the yogurt at breakfast both already had sugar in them, the staff explained that that’s how the products arrive at the hotel. The waiter on his own then brought me a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice! (it was pretty sour, but I was impressed by his attitude towards customer service) The patio bar by the pool had the best food – light, healthy Mexican fare with a smattering of popular American favorites. The fish tacos and chicken dishes were our top choices, and could be modified / prepared any way we wanted. The main restaurant (Las Marias) similarly had very good Mexican food served in a bit more formal manner. The mushroom appetizer, arrachera, and all the chicken dishes were fantastic. The breakfast buffet was ample and included fresh fruit, a variety of cooked items, and a made to order egg station. Overall, for an all-inclusive resort the food was great, although the choices could become somewhat limited for a longer stay. Our package also included all domestic drinks. The mixed drinks were average, and the beer selection was good, but the wine wasn’t great.

5: Staff - Generally, the staff was excellent. This was probably the BEST part of the resort. All of the staff were friendly, pleasant, willing to help, and accommodated all of our [minimal] special requests (see Food above). Arturo, Martha, Toño, and Alberto were standouts among a strong field.

6: The bad – A) The gym appeared to be new and had a good amount of equipment, machines, and free weights, but we were unable to use it. The new rubber floor seemed to still be outgassing [releasing a strong odor] and it was impossible to be in the room and not be overcome by the gas. There was nobody in the gym the 2 times we went to check it out. B) Highly polluting golf carts used for inter-property transport! Every time one went by, we had to hold our breath for about 30 seconds until the fumes dissipated. These carts are used all the time to ferry guests, workers, etc. all over the property. The owners should get a clue and get electric! C) Non-stop music at the pools. It was all 80s all the time, (with a very impressive array of songs!) but c’mon, we were there to relax and get away from it all. Hearing American music blaring at the pools continuously was not putting us in the relaxed, south of the border mood we were expecting. D) No swimming beach – we knew this before we went. The beach was also very rocky so it wasn’t even really possible to take a long walk on the beach. HE provides a shuttle every two hours to the Marina in Cabo, which is a short walk to the beaches there.

For entertainment, they had different live music performers every night (free). The WiFi (also free) worked everywhere at about 1 Mbps. Overall, it was a very nice resort. And yes, the all-inclusive package delivered at the price stated. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!