“Wedding November 2012” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa

You added Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Carretera Transpeninsular Km 7.3, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Ranked #20 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Croydon, New Hampshire, United States
“Wedding November 2012”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed here for a week for our wedding on November 7th. Our friends have a timeshare and brought us along and stayed on one of their out year weeks! Very nice of them, we had a nice oceanfront room with a king bed, very nice. The jacuzzi tub in the room however did not have any hot water, disappointing. The food was excellent, had our wedding dinner at the Las Marias, excellent filet mignon. Set the table up with our flowers, candelight, out on the furthest point to overlook the ocean. Excellent. The wedding coordinator was great, she took care of every detail and made it seemless. Asesome job Editha! Would stay again, a little out of the way for activties and now they charge for the shuttle service.

Also the timeshare plug is a little much, we were there 5 hours before we finally bought a price freeze for three year, no committment to buy but still wasted half a day before our wedding. Had lots to do and the salesmen only talked about themselves and all of their vacations! Annoying. The only downside I think.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
  • Polish first
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Positives:
The Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa was as picturesque as we had hoped for our destination wedding in November. The grounds were manicured perfectly and the rooms were more beautiful than the pictures can do justice. The staff -- particularly Cesar, Nacho, and Francisco -- provided some of the best service we've had anywhere during our week long stay. Our wedding coordinator, Edith, despite having just been hired after our first coordinator quit unexpectedly, did a wonderful job catering to our every need. Both Edith and her assistant were excellent at taking charge and diverting the pressure from my husband and I so we could enjoy our 40 guests that came to celebrate with us. Our wedding cake, which we ordered half cheesecake and half vanilla (although we received coconut), was absolutely delicious. We received more compliments on the cake than the food at our reception; everyone was very impressed. We enjoyed the food and thought, for only having two real restaurants (and two pool-side grills), the variety was plenty. We particularly loved the experience we had on our final Thursday night when dinner was set up outside by the infinity-edge pool/cliff-side. It was absolutely beautiful and the food was the best we had all week!

Although we seemed to be a bit younger than the owners and rest of the crowd, we still enjoyed ourselves and met some nice visitors during our stay. The complimentary shuttle to the sister resort at the Marina was great for our guests that wanted to see a little more of Cabo, but we greatly appreciated its proximity from the resort for those that wanted to stay more low-key.

In all, the resort was clean, the staff was friendly, and the views were absolutely stunning. We couldn’t have asked for a better location/weather for our wedding week.

Negatives:
Our biggest negative was the handling of the "all-inclusive" plan. When we checked-in, we were handed a sheet that listed all of the liquors, by brand, that were included in the plan. The first day went great; we made it a point to ask whether the drinks we were ordering were included in order to prevent any unnecessary charges and the bartenders were accommodating -- although, they did run out of some liquor rather quickly and were unable to restock until the next day. However, the next 6 days the resort seemed to be well out-of-sorts in terms of organization. We were told one day that a certain drink was included, and then the next day it was not. The drink selections varied, even between the two pools, depending on who was serving us. This got annoying very quickly as we were unsure of what we could order and where. Fortunately, though, we were expecting charges for these drinks at check-out and they were not charged. This leads me to believe that the resort is aware of their poor communication between bartenders and management. Hopefully, they recognize that it will only cause more problems for them in the long run if it is not addressed.

Although we cannot remember names specifically, we noticed that the service at the activities pool seemed to lack in comparison to the infinity-edge pool. We’re not sure whether it was with just with our group and us being a bit more rowdy than the other crowds, or whether this was a problem with everyone. But several bartenders seemed to ignore our orders and have quite the attitude when we would ask a second, third, fourth time for our drinks/food. We had several guests that had to ask 2-4 times for their orders to be filled, which definitely put a damper on the festivities on occasion.

Wedding planning wise, we were a little apprehensive prior to our arrival since the previous coordinator, Ana, and the new coordinator, Edith, seemed to be on different pages. As it turns out, Edith was very professional in addressing our concerns and the broken promises that Ana made prior to her departure.

The only complaint regarding the room that we had was that our shower did not drain properly and we had tiny ants that seemed to gather around the sinks.

Overall, our guests seemed to have a good time and enjoy the amenities (and views!) of the resort.

Santa Cruz, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was our first time staying at the HE. There were 13 of us that went together for my moms birthday and my families first trip to Cabo. We had a total of 6 rooms between us all. Upon arrival we were greeted with beers and margaritas. That was quickly brought down when we were instantly bombarded by timeshare people. We had no plans on timesharing but they didn't get the memo. Check in took forever and while in line waiting to check in there were two people arguing with the front desk about a mis booking of there room and another that had there trip completely cancelled!

We all checked in and went to our room and three out of the six had two queen sized beds. We were promised one king. The room was also missing a coffee maker, microwave, the drain in the shower was clogged, the a/c didn't work and the phone didn't work.

We went to the front desk about the issues and they fixed the problems promptly. As for getting a single king, not a chance. They said they were overbooked and to come back tomorrow. We did and they came up with a room at the building as far away from our group as possible. The said the only way to get a room in the building we were all in was to take the time share tour! Once again pressured to join. We gave up at this point and my wife and I were forced to sleep separately.

The rooms that we all got were nice and had nice looking furniture in them. The views even from our room on the bottom floor were great. Thats about all I can say good about them. The beds were hard and uncomfortable. The sheets smelled of something awful. That was the case for everyone else as well. The pillows were bunchy and the cases on them felt like sand paper. I never got a good nights sleep. Along with all the other problems we had the walls and ceilings are extremely thin and could hear everything from the people next door. The people above got up early and you could hear nothing but the furniture scraping across the floor every time they moved. The toiletries in the room were definitely not four star. The toilet paper was one ply sand paper, and they only had shampoo. Housekeeping was okay. One couple left a tip for them on the nightstand and was gone and the room wasn't touched. Must have meant that the person that stocked the mini bar walked way into the room and took it. That put a bad taste in my mouth and made me skeptical about leaving anything of value out.

The food to me was average. Thank god we were all inclusive. Breakfast and lunch were good. Dinner was not our favorite part. Mostly because of timing. The first night at las Marias took over two hours. One person in our group got there food in a half hour and the rest of ours came an hour later. This happened twice. One of the nights we went to the italian themed dinner. My mom and another person got chicken pasta. What they got was a salad with pasta. There was not a lick of sauce on it. Even though we were all inclusive we ended up going to town three out of the six nights so we didn't have to deal with the bad food or service.

The worst part about the food and drink at this place was having to sign a check for every single thing we got there. Being all inclusive this was extremely annoying. We had bracelets that were absolutely useless. Since we had so many people in our group there were a lot of tags and signing. One day at the pool the "bills" didn't get signed by a few of us and my wife and I were literally hunted down by this guy trying to get us to sign these bills. After the fourth time of him coming up to us at the bottom pool far away from the area he works my wife yelled at him and told him to quit harassing us about other peoples bills. Have never had to do anything like this at any other all inclusive place that we have been at.

The pools were very nice. The lower pool had beautiful views. The water felt cold but refreshing. One of the bartenders in the upper pools wouldn't even pay attention to us when we would swim up there. Tipping them didn't seem to make them do anything different in there service. This went for the rest of the staff there. To me seemed very ungrateful.

The staff was very nice and usually helpful. We called for taxis, wake-up calls, carts, and shuttles and every time they delivered perfectly. Its a bummer to have a good staff that is mis-managed by a bunch of crooks.

All of our checkout processes were less than smooth. We all had charges on them that shouldn't have been there. Ours had a charge to donate to the Red Cross Foundation. Not a large amount but was unnecessary. Its not that I don't like to donate its that they just add it and hope that you don't see it. I would doubt it even goes there anyway. Us and the rest of the group had charges for a lobby bar charge. This was from there Marina Fiesta "sister" hotel that we are supposed to have access to. Since we were all inclusive, signing a bill from there seemed normal. We were all told that it was all inclusive there. it's not. We all had at least a sixty dollar bill there. When we tried to dispute it they were less than helpful saying it is not included. It says nowhere in there policy that says otherwise. We even signed our bills as a zero dollar total/ all inclusive meaning to me that we are signing for nothing. But to them they thought otherwise. We were forced to pay the bill. This was not how we wanted to spend our last day. For as much as we spent to stay at this resort you would think that taking sixty bucks off should be nothing.

So thats how we had to leave this resort. Pissed off, a lump in my throat, and sixty bucks down for no reason. So bummed out that my mom's 50th birthday and first time in Mexico wasn't what I thought of as an enjoyable one.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My wife and I spent a week here end Oct beginning Nov. We were slightly apprehensive after reading some of the negative reviews on here. We need not have worried. The location is fantastic and the accomodation excellent. We ate in the Mexican restaurant and both pool bars. Food was really good. They do need to warm up the red wine though, I am not keen on it being chilled especially when the daytime temperatures were well into the 90's. We did attend the 90 minute presentation but as we owned Timeshare elsewhere they did not try to pressurise us and after the Tour we were not bothered again. We would definitely go back there but next time would rent a car to get around a bit more as it is not within walking distance of any outside amenities. All the staff were really friendly and helpfull.

Room Tip: Rooms in Phase 1 are nearer the ocean. We stayed in Phase 2 but could still see the ocean.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Great quiet resort. Staff was very nice. Is asae timeshare so you will be asked to take the tour. As we are owners somewhere else it was no big deal for us. They did pressure our friends who were on the tour. Just something to expect.
The resort is beautiful and the rooms are very nice. The staff was great, everyone said hi when they saw you. Service is slower than what you get in the states, but that is Mexico in general. Remember, your on vacation so relax and enjoy the view. The food was ok, not great. That was the consensus of everyone in our group. Overall I would go back.

• Stayed November 2012
Lafayette, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We just returned from a week in a 1 BR apartment in Hacienda Encantada. Setting is spectacular. Multiple pool and dining choices, especially for lunch. We made breakfast in the well-equipped kitchen each day; Dinner is best taken in Cabo San Lucas.
We were guest of my brother who owns a time share. We did the time share tour and when we said no to their "best offer:" they hooked us with $999 offer for a week each of the next three years paying only the maintenance fee appropriate for the type of accommodation: $525 for studio, $835 for 1 bedroom, $1035 for 2 bedroom apartments--almost all with ocean views.

Room Tip: Try for Phase 1and upper floors. Phase 2 is farther from ocean--ask for western-most building.
Everett, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I just got back from a week stay at the Hacienda Encantada Resort in Cabo where I attended a wedding for my girlfriends best friend. The wedding was held at the resort and this was my first visit to Cabo!

Let me start off by saying that when my girlfriend told me were going to Cabo for a wedding I was a little concerned about it/Mexico, (me thinking of water issues, violence, distance from Boston, and cost.) I'm glad to admit that I was 100% wrong about all my concerns about Cabo and had no problems whatsoever and may have even found my new favorite vacation spot. the downtown marina was a blast and compared to other islands I felt safer here than many other places.

The two of us went for 7 days and decided to do the all inclusive package at the resort. We were joined by about 40 other people in our group most of whom also chose the all inclusive package. They asked us to do the timeshare presentation and I just said no so I cant comment on that. I checked reviews on trip advisor for this hotel before I went so I will mostly concentrate on the things that I have read on other reviews and contrast them.

All inclusive package was SOOO worth the money. we drank all week from open to close and had three meals a day and every time I signed a check I was reminded of how glad I was that we did the all inclusive. The hotel seems expensive if you do not do the all inclusive but if you do the all inclusive you don’t care about prices for food or drinks.

When you check in they give you an all inclusive bracelet that you keep on all week to show that you are part of the package which would be a good idea to show that you are part of the plan but they ask you for you room number constantly and make you sign for everything you get. EVERYTHING! We did do the $7/day tip for all the employee's and the all inclusive paperwork stated that tips were included for everyone except bartenders I believe. The first day I just gave the bartenders a cash tip of like $10 bucks and they made sure your glasses were never empty.

Free shuttle to the marina where it runs every two hours where there are tons of bars, restaurants, shops, and everything else was great as this resort was a great time but there is no bar open past 10pm. We read how it was a quiet resort which it was but if you go with a group you can certainly bring the fun and loudness as we did. the pools were amazing, the swim up bars were great, the service from the staff was outstanding and they were a really fun group of people, especially Anna at the pool, Francisco at the pool, nacho at the bar, and a few others who I just cannot remember. The pool music was brutal as it was a loop of 80's rock but if that’s your thing your in luck.

OVERALL THIS WAS A GREAT HOTEL and I would definitely go back but if I did have any criticisms and complaints that I hope they would address they would be these:

DRINKS: One day you would ask for a mudslide and it was included, the next day it was not (sometimes the bartenders were on different pages on what was included for all inclusive alcohol and what was not, and they really need to straighten that out because it was annoying.)

FOOD: the food was good to excellent with great presentation and flavors but I was disappointed that have no idea on how to cook a steak. I ordered a flank steak at the pool for lunch and a few times i ordered a filet mignon for dinner on different nights and asked for the steak medium-rare. it was well done every time and I do not believe they have any idea on how to cook a steak but it was still good and "free" so I just ate it and did not mention it. (And for the people that complained that all the food was Mexican, hello you’re in Mexico, they had French toast and American cereals for breakfast as well so stop complaining. If you don’t like Mexican food don’t go to Mexico.)

FOOD SAFETY: one day for lunch I decided to eat at the pool bar that overlooked the kitchen El Patio and the chefs usually did a great job cranking out food but I could not help to notice that the management should really remind the cooks about food safety. I forget his name but I believe it was Ernesto would cut raw chicken on a red cutting board then put raw chicken on the other cutting board that had veggies on it and only wash the red board. He then took the chicken on the cutting board across the kitchen to put it on the grill only to spill raw chicken juice over the fresh veggies, into the fryer, and then finally onto the grill. After touching the raw chicken he would then dip into the salt and then only rinsed his hands with water (no soap) and then go and handle lettuce. Apparently the tequila killed any germs because nobody in our group was sick, thank god!

This was a really nice stay and the wedding we attended on the beach was beautiful. Hopefully someday I get to go back to the Hacienda Encantada!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!