“Don't Stay Here” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa

You added Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km. 0.5 Camino Viejo a San Jose, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
houston
“Don't Stay Here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2008

This place is a joke. I've been around the world and have stayed at all types of hotels and have experienced bad service and excellent service. However, this place tops it off. Everytime we walked to through the lobby, there were lines of people complaining. I'm surprised no one took the time to write anything here so buyers beware!! Hopefully, this will save someone from having a a honeymoon or anniversary from h*ll. And if you have stayed here and agree, shame on you for not warning us and ruining my vacation!

I'm writing this review nearly a YEAR after staying here. I was going to write a formal complaint to management but didn't because I knew nothing would be done in response. Hopefully, this post will cost them enough business to change management bc the actual hotel is nice - the management is BEYOND TERRIBLE FROM CHECK IN TO CHECK OUT.

1) They are trying to sell condos here and everything is geared for that endeavor. After traveling 10 hours to get there and in a state of starvation, I had to literally lose my temper for them to give me my room keys. They kept pushing this "tour" and made us sit down at some agent's desk after checking in as a delay and stall tactic to get our room keys and listen to their SALES PITCH.

2) They lie. After booking the room, our plans changed and we had a 3rd person coming. They stated that we booked the "room" and it accomodates up to 4 people when I called prior to leaving. Therefore, no extra charge. However, all that changed when I got there. They charged me a few hundred more for the 3rd person.

3) If you want anything - like towels, service you'd even expect at 3 star chains like La Quinta, or just a smile from the help - FORGET IT. You will have to call for clean bath towels. You can't get more than 1 towel for the pool. You can expect to wait 30 minutes for a waiter at the crappy boat restaurant.

4) No sleeping in! The housekeeper will knock and knock and knock all morning long despite having a do not disturb sign on the door knob. I'm talking loud knocking at 8 am and every 30 minutes.

5) Complimentary tickets are a SHAM. When we checked in, they gave us these "drink tickets" and stated that we get free food. When we went to the crappy boat restaurant, they acted like it was the first time they saw these "drink tickets."

6) They keep lying. We rented jet skis to go around the Arc and take some pics. When we got around the corner, one ran out of gas. It was an independent person who rented the jet skis and it took us 1.5 hour to find help to get us towed back in. We nearly wrecked onto the rocks. We complained to the management about the guys renting these on the beach. After listening to another sales pitch, they said they would get us a refund for them and deliver the refund to us in the morning. Think they showed up? Nope. I went down to talk to the girl who promised me the refund and she said she would be downstairs if there was any problems. However, she was off that day and was ALWAYS off that day. She lied.

Do not stay here unless you want to hate Cabo like I do now. This hotel made me dislike the people there and dislike Cabo period. I'll spend my $ in Vallarta and Cacun where the locals have the minimal level of service and decent courtesy you would expect in Mexico. I couldn't wait to leave after checking in.

The best part of staying here is when we LEFT the hotel and took a boat tour with some guy in the marina. If you do stay here, don't book any tours on their premises.

• Liked — nice pool
  • Disliked — staff
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
San Pedro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

We really liked this new place. We were able to go here with friends who own a 2 bedroom here. The room was great with a full kitchen and lots of privacy. All balcony views are great. If you walk on the beach, it's a 10+ minute walk to town (the marina). In May it was hot and breezy at night. We liked the location of this hotel as we usually stay at Sunset Beach or SJ de Cabo. Okay, now here's the negative part (and I am VERY easy to please). We did their "Meal Plan" which we assumed (our bad) was all-inclusive. It's $80/day and somewhat worth it. We ate at Tortuga next door at their sister resort Palmar a few times and liked it. However, for breakfast, both hotels were bad buffet food. Lunch on the ocean at Palmar was good too. Service here was VERY slow. They are soooo stingy with bottled water here. If you want it in your room, you have to pay for it (lots of money too!). We stocked up on it when we ate and begged for bottles to take to the room. I went to the front desk and asked what the deal was with their water and the man was short with me and said it's a meal plan, not all inc. which I have since learned are two very different programs. If I go back, I would eat down the beach at the office or some other place (there are lots) for breakfast and lunch around the pool here was good (try the pizza's and guacamole). I didn't like having to sign for each and every drink at the pool (which with an A/I you don't do). Also, their towels at the pool, if you don't turn them in, they charge you. I understand this but I travel A LOT and I've never had to babysit the towels. We would just drop them off or leave them on our chairs but not here. You have to deal with it at the end of your use. We love Mexico and Cabo but this place did not make us feel "special". We felt like we were in your typical hotel with average service. Not what we're used to. Also, being on their swimmable beach here was awesome!

• Liked — the pool area & views
  • Disliked — the meal plan
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

We spent seven nights at the Arco from June 14-June 21 in a two bedroom ocean view penthouse suite.
From the moment we got off the shuttle, to the moment we took the shuttle back to the airport, the people of the Arco were fabulous. I have nothing negative to say about anything at this resort.
Our concierge, Rosella, was very helpful. She always greeted us with hugs when she saw us in the lobby and asked how our stay was going. She constantly asked if we needed anything.
The housekeeping was impeccable. Everything was always clean. They stocked us up with towels and robes since we had a jacuzzi on the balcony.
The gym and spa were fabulous also. They had all of the equipment necessary for a good workout, and the massage was top notch.
All of the food served was great. Everyone in our party could find something to eat on the menu.
We had such a great time, that we are going back next year with five other people and hope to rent the three bedroom penthouse suite.
I highly recommend this resort to everyone wanting to have a great experience in a beautiful location.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2008

Just got back from the Villa Del Arco and loved every minute of it. We did the all-inclusive package and if you plan on eating at the hotel I highly recommend it as the prices are pretty steep. Ceaser the assistant food and beverage manager was awesome as well as Claudia the bar tender in El Faro. Pool side service was hit and miss. A few days we had great pool side service and a few days it seemed like it was non-existent . Rooms were brand new and large. The ATM's on the property give you pesos so don't be tricked into paying a fee to withdraw 50 pesos or $5USD. The pool is large with many chairs but if you want to get a good spot you should be out there by 9:00 am. We did a snorkeling tour on the Pez Gato and it was a lot of fun. On the way back they stopped for 15 minutes at Lovers beach and we were able to swim in and spend some time there. Drinks are very weak unless you ask them to make them strong. Overall it was a great time and I would highly recommend the Villa Del Arco to anyone looking for a relaxing trip to Cabo!!

• Liked — Pool, Food, Great Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London Via San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

My family just returned for five nights at Wonderful Villa Del Arco in Los Cabos Mexico.
We had such an amazing time, the food is superb, they make the best Guacamole ever! The Sushi Restaurant El Faro has the best views of the Arco and serves amazing sushi, I would put it up there as some of the tastiest that I have had anywhere.
We had a two bedroom suite with full kitchen and washer and dryer in our unit. This was really helpfull as we were traveling with our year and a half year old son.
I went to the spa and enjoyed the spa pools and services, it really was a relaxing and enjoyable stay. I would say that the Villa Del Arco is among the friendliest of the hotels in Cabo San Lucas, and Jean Louis the Hotel Manager went above and beyone to accomodate us. - Thank you Villa Del Arco!

• Liked — Super Location, great pool areas and food
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
fun2talk2u2, hotel manager at Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2008
It was so nice to hear you enjoyed our hospitality.
I believe that's the meaning of leaving home and having a great experience in a foreign country. We also would like to thanking you.
Come back soon again.
Cordially, your Villa del Arco family
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

We went to Cabo on the 12th and stayed until the 15th. We went with about 25 other people for a wedding and were very excited because we had heard great things about cabo. We arrived at the Del Arco areound 4 and my family had no problem checking in but the other 20 something people did! We had all been booked to stay at the Del Arco but half of them were told they were "overbooked" and sent to stay at the Del Palmar. Which is the older of the trio at the resort. That really made everyone mad including the bride to be who didnt even have a room untill 7 that evening! She was in tears becuase of the problem. Later we found out that the reason they got the boot was because of the people who have time shares there have priority to the rooms. This place was dead set on getting us to buy their stupid time shares. Finaly after all that was settled it was a beautiful wedding on the beach and service on the beach was great! We did the so called "all inclusive deal" which needless to say wasnt all inclusive. I have stayed at all inclusive resorts before many actually, and this was nothing like it. The fridge in our room? Nothing in there was included. Room service? Not included. Also when we left they slapped us with a $1900 (USD) bill for things we had ordered during our stay. In addition to our nights stayed. We spent at least 2 hours in the lobby talking to the not so helpful desk workers trying to figure out why we payed for all inclusive and didnt recieve it. We got no where with that. It really was just abosolutly ridiulous the way we were treated and the amount of money that was wasted. It is a shame becuase it left a bad impression on us about Cabo. Other than that cabo was beautiful and my favorite part of course was the clubs down town. They were so much fun! It goes without saying we will NEVER return to the Villa Del Arco again!

• Liked — The Beach
  • Disliked — The service
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Charlotte
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2008

The property is beautiful and well taken care of. The only complaint that I have is that the beds were not at all comfortable. The prices are similar to what you would pay in the US. Of course, the onsite shops were pricey, but that's not really different from any other hotel. I found the staff friendly, attentive and helpful. The other reviews were accurate in that people are trying to sell you timeshares from the time you leave baggage claim; however, if you give them a firm "no thank you", they'll leave you alone.

• Liked — The ocean view from our room.
  • Disliked — The hard beds.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!