“Subjected to assault, battery harassment and duress at this hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa

You added Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Km. 0.5 Camino Viejo a San Jose, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
San Francisco
“Subjected to assault, battery harassment and duress at this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

On November 23, 2012, during a stay at a Universal Vacation Club location, Villa Del Arco, my cousin and I were subject to assault, battery, duress, and harassment by Universal Vacation Club employees.
Our families were guests at Villa Del Arco from November 16-23rd. I arrived several days after my family on November 19th. On November 22nd my aunt and mother received a bill for charges associated with the room. Numerous charges on the bill were inaccurate, inflated, and occurred during time periods prior to the November 16th arrival. Among these charges were several breakfasts that were included in our stay. My aunt and mother spent hours going over the disputed bill with the front desk attendants. My mother and aunt informed me that the front desk was being completely uncooperative and while they did remove many of the false charges, they simply refused to remove others, even where no bill could be produced. The bill dropped several hundred dollars after the false charges were removed, however there were still many in dispute. The front desk told my aunt that she would have to take it up with the credit card company.
Neither my cousins, nor I, were a party of any of these discussions. Our names were not associated with the reservation. At approximately 12:30 pm on November 23, 2012, my cousin and I asked for a taxi to take us to our international flight. We had left sufficient time to taxi and make our flight without issue. However, when we asked for the taxi, we were told with much hostility, by the manager, Eduardo, that we could not leave the premises until the primary person on the room signed for the charges. I calmly informed him that neither of us was that person and that we needed to catch a flight. He once again with great anger told me that we would not be given a taxi and that he needed the primary person to sign for the credit card he had on file. This exchange went on for some time, with me explaining that I was not that person and that I was now in danger of running late for my flight.
Finally, after getting nowhere, my cousin and I said we would walk to get a taxi. We left the front door and got to the gate where we were told that we would not be allowed to leave without first paying. Once again, I explained that they had a credit card on file, that it should be used, and that we were going to miss our flight. As we continued to try and leave the gate, we were subjected to assault and battery as the man at the gate physically grabbed the bags in our hand and began to try to drag us back into the hotel. I yelled at the man to stop touching us that this was illegal, that I was an attorney and he was assaulting us and had now harmfully and offensively touched both myself and my cousin. Still, he refused and a screaming match and tug-of-war ensued. My cousin was visibly upset and trembling as was I. I continued to explain that we needed to catch our flight.
After much struggle at the gate, I finally marched back up to the hotel and demanded that they stop holding us hostage and allow us to catch our flight. The manager admitted that he had a credit card on file for the person named on the room, but that he knew that she was going to attempt to dispute many of the charges.
In the end, I was forced to put the charges on my credit card despite not being in the country when many occurred and them having an accurate card on file. Exhausted, assaulted, battered, and harassed, we were finally able to leave the premise in a taxi and barely catch our flight.
Upon return to the states I learned from my aunt that she had in fact signed for the charges and been told that everything was taken care of! When she checked out with Jorge at the front desk, he asked if she preferred to leave the incidental charges on the card on file and she said yes. She signed the bill and also signed on behalf of her sister, Sylvia, since she had already left, which my aunt let him know. He asked her to write on a piece of paper that Sylvia had left, which she did. She said to him, "Are we good then?" He replied, "Yes" and my other cousin and her left.
We travel for business and pleasure frequently and it is common practice to leave charges on the card on file even if the person whose name the reservation or credit card is in has left. If there were any issues with this, she should have been notified at the time I checked out.
I’ve never experienced worst customer service. I’ve never been physically attacked by an employee of a company. I’m planning to file litigation and I am demanding the following: (i) A formal written apology to myself and my cousin, (ii) immediate resignation of the supervisor who ordered the assault and battery, and (iii) a return of all funds charged to my account.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We own a timeshare here so we go about every other year. We love Villa Del Arco. It's a great location with an amazing view. It even has a strip of nice sandy beach whereas a lot of Cabo beaches are kinda rocky. Staff are always very nice. Between this and villa del palmar next door, you have enough restaurants and activies.

Their spa has been voted #1 in Cabo and it's amazing! The the service from spa attendant is out of this world.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Prince Albert, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Our stay at Villa del Arco was all we were expecting. Our one bedroom with kitchen, two baths and laundry was more than enough room for two. The staff was friendly and helpful and any dealings with staff went smoothly. We were on the 5th floor overlooking the quiet pool so we really enjoyed sitting on our balcony which had table and chairs and two great loungers and was quite peaceful. We did quite a few of our own meals and the kitchen had everything we needed.
Groceries are available within the hotel complex but are expensive so we bought our groceries in downtown Cabo.
We spent more time around the pool than we usually do since they have a few pools to choose from and we enjoyed the quiet area. The beach provided umbrellas and loungers and the beach action is fun to watch. The water was quite rough when we were there so didn't do much as far as water activities.
We found that there were many things to be involved in but our week was spent just relaxing around the pool, early morning walks on the long stretch of beach, walks into town and checking out a few places to eat. We also tried the spa which was fabulous. It is well worth the money and if you have a treatment you can use the facilities all day.
Tip- If you are a timeshare owner make sure you book well in advance, at least a year if you want a specific time, since Del Arco fills up fast.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tulsa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Enjoyed 5 days and would definitely return. Hotel is clean, staff efficient, food is delicious at the hotel restaurant. Don't love all the time share salespeople constantly around but I guess this is the business that you have to deal with.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean FRONT when booking to have nothing between your room and the ocean. Ocean VIEW is goo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

The suite was fabulous, full kitchen, 2 Bedrooms, 3 baths - more than enough space for 7 women. The place is immaculate, & the trolley that runs to the two sister Villa hotels down the beach gave many choices.
However, the food & drink service at the pool & beach were very poor, only one tiny bar for a huge property. The beach was hard, rough, pebbly sand & you had to walk down a long flight of stairs to get there.
The vendors on the beach were very polite, didn't bother you when you said "no gracias". Friends had fun at Cabo Wabo dancing all night, the town was nothing great. Cruise ships anchored outside the marina blocking the beautiful veiws of Lands End & Lovers Beach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Youngstown, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012 via mobile

I just got back from a vacation to Cabo with friends from Cleveland, November 9th thru November 16th...Friday to Friday. Two out of four of us are time share owners with the Villa Group. One great perk of being a time share owner is access to the gold card, which offers many great discounts to food, drink and entertainment!

I'll start by telling you that all four of us bought the all-inclusive package for the first three days we were on the resort. Everyone in the room must go all inclusive. Knowing that there are a limited number of restaurants and bars at both Del Arco and Del Palmar, we figured three days would be plenty. We definitely made the $89 work for us all three days, particularly at 'El Farro', the sushi bar! Had great service there too! We got food and drink poolside all day as well...service begins at 10am. You can get some great greasy American or Mexican food at the taco bar or the Buckanero. We even got sushi rolls poolside one day. If you don't go all inclusive, they bill everything to,your room. They don't deal with cash anywhere. We sometimes gave cash tips, to make sure we got attentive service.

As far as the pool, it's awesome beyond belief! If you want pool chairs with both an ocean view near the pool, you'll need to put your towel out around 6am to save your seat. These are the first chairs to go every morning. There are plenty of umbrellas if you need shade, plus palm trees that block sun at times. There are also chairs in the very shallow part of the pool that are cool if you want to dip your feet will laying back. The servers are pretty on top of things over all, but cash tips help get quicker service.

They offer trolley service to their sister resort, Villa Del Palmar, just a few minutes down the road...also walkable. Palmar has twice as many guests and lots more planned activities if you want that sort of thing. We went over one night for Casino and karaoke night, which was a lot of fun. We also paid for the buffet for dinner, which was good...plenty of prime rib! There s also some shops and a small market for grocery essentials for your room.

Del Arco is the much more relaxed and upscale of the two resorts, with half as many rooms...so no over crowding. It's a combination of professionals, families and couples. I didn't see a lot of kids...but of course school is in session. We mainly saw very young kids under 5. So not much kiddie noise in early November.

Downtown, the marina and the beach offer many other food and entertainment options. Cabo Wabo, El Squid Roe, Nowhere Bar and The Office are a few to name. 'The Office' on the beach has the best margaritas! Pochos in the marina had a great dinner menu, Pepe's was some wonderful Mexican and the Baja Cantina near the beach had a nice sushi menu.

I also recommend a sunset cruise/bruise cruise, many to pick from. We took the Tropicat, which was a wine and cheese version of what most call a booze cruise. Beautiful cruise of lands end (the arch) and the southwestern coastline. Roughly a two hour cruise.

Anyway, I highly recommend the Villa Del Arco. I wouldn't say it's cheap...but you get what you pay for! The front desk and concierge staff are very good, as well as the door and bell hop staff. Most of the wait staff are quite good as well. Rooms are immaculate with fantastic views...ours was of the pool and ocean. Very spacious outdoor patios with comfortable seats and table.

Give it a shot.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We have a great time at the villa del Arco. We are enjoying our time share and annual stays there in Cabo San Lucas. This was our second trip there. The food, service, activities, and access to town are very good. A superior team, Cindy Bartz, a marketing director, and the other consierge staff at the resort were helpful to ensure our package was the value we bought. We appreciate the people at Villa del Arco. Lori

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!