Hello Fellow Celiacs
My wife an I are from Vancouver and picked Villa Dela Arco for our two weeks in the sun, escaping the clouds and rain of Canada's winter west coast.
A few things about Los Cabos, this is our second visit, the first was 2009 at Villa Del Palmar the poor cousin to VDA. First off VDA is a really nice property, certainly geared towards a more mature laid back clientele, if you want to party go to Rui, if you have kids go to Villa Del Palmar.
So far we have avoided the Time-share sharks, if you get hooked in by them they will literally steal +3 hours of your life that you will never get back and possibly worse get you to hand over +$15,000 of your hard earned money on a really crappy deal.
We checked into VDA and had to do the typical Mexican room dance, first you get put in a crappy room, you go to the front desk and say this won't work, they move you to one notch above sub-standard after the speech they're at 100% capacity, you endure the evening and head back to the front desk first thing in the morning and start the process again until they find a decent room. We went from a walk out swamp-side room, infested with moths to a nice ground level pool-side and are very happy with our new digs. Finally we get to unpack and start the two week vacation we flew here for. Remember....(polite)squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Okay now let's talk GF, I've been Celiac for +9 years and traveling (my favorite past-time) can be a challenge, a couple bad meals and the multi-thousand dollar vacation goes for crap!!! I researched as best as I could GF in Cabo, not a lot of info out there however there is a new Organic Market called California Ranch Market located downtown. They're on the right track but still a ways to go, there are a number of products in the store and they continue to try to build stock but honestly you'd be hard pressed to get more then three days of meals from them.
Because we were coming down for two weeks, we decided the best course of action would be to pack an extra suit case stuffed with GF food; pasta, Udi's bread, pizza crust, nuts, pancake mix, crackers, cookies, granola, etc. Enough staples that with a trip to the local Wal-mart we would have a number of GF meals. We purchase a cheap case from Value Village and literally packed it full and so glad we did, best idea ever.
VDA has decent kitchens so making meals has been very easy. If you're Celiac and planning all-inclusive in Mexico you will be sick most days. Maybe the alcohol will help but be prepared for killer guts. If you're bring kids and not planning on cooking reconsider coming to Mexico.
So far the staff at VDA have been great, I would certainly recommend this place to any GF travel seeker on the west coast, direct flights, fantastic weather, safe, great people.
We rented a car because of the GF requirements, three trips to Wal-Mart and I think were good for the rest of the week. It's 10 minutes down the road, without a car I'm not sure it's possible.
I'll add to the review after our trip ends, if you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me I'm happy to help out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stunning seaside views, historic scenery and high-energy entertainment results in a carefree and unforgettable vacation in the heart of El Medano Beach at Cabo San Lucas's Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa.If you're looking for a high-end, family-friendly resort, you've found it. In addition to its lavish surroundings with the wondrous El Arco rock formation on the horizon, Villa del Arco boasts a full-scale pirate ship, exotic cuisine, the renowned Desert Spa as well as numerous athletic and cultural activities.All 225 spacious, colorful and air-conditioned suites offer kitchens or kitchenettes and private balconies facing either the azure Sea of Cortez or our lush, exotic gardens.Our meticulous staff is committed to providing guests with "The three Rs": Relaxation, Recreation and Romance (yes, even for those with the kids in tow!). As our General Manager likes to say, "We offer experiences that make you forget the time and simultaneously remember every moment." For a lavish experience you are not soon to forget, we invite you to be our guest at Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Orbitz, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity and Odigeo so you can book your Villa del Arco Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Del Arco Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Hotel Del Arco
- Del Arco Hotel
- Villa Del Arco Cabo San Lucas
- Villa Del Arco Beach Resort & Spa Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos