“Best Bang for Your Buck in the Baja” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marbella Suites en la Playa

and 1 more site!
You added Marbella Suites en la Playa to your Saves list
Marbella Suites en la Playa
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Transpeninsular Highway Km 17 | Colonia Cabo Real, Cabo San Lucas 23400, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Indianapolis, IN
“Best Bang for Your Buck in the Baja”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

Marbella Suites en la Playa is not your typical Cabo style resort. You won't be on a crowded beach with other vacationers or bothered by vendors peddling their goods. Instead, you will be left alone to enjoy the sun and surf at your leisure. The English speaking staff is more than happy to help you book excursions, give you dining tips, or bring you a cold beverage by the pool. Both the room and meal prices at the restaurant are very reasonably priced. I think the best thing about this place is the value of your stay, not to mention the location is hard to beat (in the middle of the Tourist Corridor between Cabo & San Jose). And one of the biggest perks is wireless internet that is easily accessible from the beach.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Pollock Pines,Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

Nice rooms, beautiful beach, good food, and GREAT SERVICE! Lillian and her crew are the best !!! Thanks see ya next year. Halls

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
LA/SF
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

My husband, father and I just returned from a wonderful stay at Marbella suites; lured by the great reviews and the incredibly great price, I was very happy with our decision to stay here. Upon arrival we were greeted with a spacious open air lobby overlooking the palms and vast ocean; the staff were incredibly kind from start to finish, going out of their way to help us in every way. From finding snorkeling equipment to providing coupons for free drinks, and responded to our communications immediately. The layout of the hotel/resort is lovely; a maze of stone bridges and stairs carries one down through the floors down to the expansive pool, two jacuzzi tubs (dreamlike under the starry sky!), the restaurant/bar overlooking the ocean to the beach. Walking along the beach here is a vacation in and of itself; almost no one around ( at the time we were there), and a vast array of rock and coral formations to view all around. The rooms were great; a large central living area with kitchenette, bathroom, and spacious bedrooms. Small details, as trees painted on the bathroom wall, created a colonial type feeling. The bed was slightly lumpy and there are no tv's/stereos in the rooms. The central computer room with free wi-fi, and free calling to US and Mexico was a fantastic resource. We would definitely stay here again; the people who work here are wonderful and made our vacation a truly enjoyable on.

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2010

My husband, stepson, and in laws stayed at Marbella Suites for a week. It was perfect for us because of the two bedroom suite...left privacy for us and privacy for my stepson. My in laws stayed in a one bedroom suite across the way from us. Upon our arrival we were given an upgrade to an ocean view and they placed our two rooms next to each other which made it nice for hanging out. The rooms each had a kitchenette with a microwave and fridge which made it great for snacks and keeping drinks cold. Marbella has a wonderful staff who treated us all with the greatest hospitality. The pool is beautiful and quite, my stepson had a blast down there. Marbella is quaint and allows for a truly relaxing experience away from all the hustle and bustle. It is in between San Jose Del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas, so we rented a car. Marbella made all the car reservations and it was inexpensive If you depend on the bus you will waste your vacation. Plus you will miss out on Todos Santos and La Paz. . The place is so beautiful and really is a hidden gem. Marbella also has an internet room and free calling to the US which is an amenity in itself. If you don't like crowds and the fakeness of resorts, you will love this place.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2010

We returned from Marbella a few days ago. This was our first time to the area but not to Mexico. We were impressed with its beauty, and particularly that there seemed to be some vestige of Mexican culture left, which is rare in resort-areas. There was no transportation shuttle to the hotel as there is a taxi union that prohibits private service. Taxis are expensive. However, a quick email to Marbella prior to our arrival had us connected to Transcabo, which is a shuttle service within the union and provided us with a nice return trip for about $35 pp. return. We did not want to rent a car as we like taking the bus and exploring the area. Transcabo also gave great tips on getting through the airport and away from the many commissioned time share salespeople who will descend on you like locusts! We had the same experience in Cancun and wish we had been given a warning. Check-in at the hotel was great and both day and night time staff are truly pleasant and helpful. Wonderful, in fact. While they speak perfect English, I think they liked that we made our best attempt to communicate in Spanish. Take note, though, this is a hotel and not a resort. There really is nothing to do at the hotel and nothing around, and even eating at the on site restaurant gets old after a few meals. We are nearly vegetarian so the menu is limiting to us. The rooms are nice, but it really depends where you are. We, unfortunately, were very close to the office. This means we did not have to lug our luggage up all the steps to get to or from our rooms, but it also means we were on the highway and could hear traffic all night long. That was the downside, for sure. There is a considerable distance between the beach and the office (all stairs in a lovely European/Spanish style of terraces) so the closer you can get to the beach the farther away from traffic you are, and the more stairs you need to negotiate. We didn't mind the stairs. The kitchens in the rooms are also extremely basic. There is no way to cook but in the microwave. And nothing is provided other than basic dishes. So if you do intend to use this facility, bring a knife to cut with (all they have are butter knives), a corkscrew, a can opener if you need one..you get the drift. Oh, and some dish soap and a cleaning sponge would be a good idea. I personally think these basics should be provided. The beach is lovely but you can't swim in it due to the undercurrents. Lying on it was great and we never had a problem finding a lounge chair. We also took a bus a short way and went to Chileno which was nice. The pool is pretty much in the shade all day. The poolside bar was not open ever when we were there. In fact, the restaurant was short-staffed and I believe this is the same staff. The staff did say the hotel was full but as others have said, we just never saw that. There were people but never lots. One thing I really liked was that it was quiet. Cabo is the place to go if you want to party. I think I was in bed by 11 pm every night (lol!) and there just was no raucous partying. How refreshing! We did venture into Cabo one night for dinner but we might as well have been in Vegas. It wasn't our scene. Now San Jose, that's lovely. Went a few times there - again by bus 17 pesos. The buses are lovely coach-style, depending on which one you get. Stops right in front of the hotel. And we never had long to wait. We had two teen girls with us and they were happy to lie on the beach and shop in the town of San Jose del Cabo. I did notice people had some small dogs so if you need a place that will accept your pets I think they do. As others have said, the free internet and calls to US/Canada were a super bonus! The fitness room had very dated equipment. There is a large plasma tv that seems to get Sirius satellite channels for those who need it. We did notice some teens hanging out and watching tv at night. No tv in the room (thank you!). For the price, this is a great place to stay. Not sure I will return as there are more places I want to go but I would recommend it if you just want to chill and relax without being in the American-style resort scene with all-you-can-drink buffoons.

Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

I spent in early December and it by far exceeded my expectations. When traveling in Mexico, I have always been pleased by have also heard some worry some tales as well. Marbella Suites was a pleasant surprise to say the least! If you were driving by the hotel, you would be hard pressed imagine how beautiful it is even with a creative imagination. It is a great value on what must be one the nicest beech in Cabo!

The room we were in was without doubt one of the best in the facility. A portion of the rooms face the water while the others facing the inside courtyard area of the hotel. I loved our room, but even the garden rooms would be great. Our room did not have a TV, but that was fine since they did have a common TV area where I could catch the news as needed. There are also a few TV's down by the pool bar area and maybe some of the rooms have them...I'm not sure. Our room did not have a bath tub, but it did have a very nice shower and bathroom and was very, very large.

There are free phones available for dialing to the USA and there was also 3 new dell computers for accessing the internet. The fitness room was adequate with some free weights, tredmills, and stair master style equipment for those inclined to work out....I preferred to have a drink by the pool or take a really long walk along the beach (where it was almost deserted!

The facility was in great shape for a 50 plus year old hotel. I state that based on spending a day at a another high end name resort that was only 10 years old and by and large, showed it's age much more so that Marbella Suites. The tile work is just incredible and the dining area over the pool is splendid. I often sat there and imagined Cary Grant or Katherine Hepburn dinning as it has that kind of old style glamour. The food was excellent but don't be in a hurry since it will take you a while to get through dinner. I only note this as I was found the service great, but the speed that things happen anywhere outside the USA and Canada is different...this is an experience I have noted in Tahiti, Europe, Puerto Rico, etc and I like the slower pace when on vacation.

For those who had difficulty walking, please be warned that there is a lot of stairs between the top and bottom of the hotel. There is a handicap ramp that gets you to some of the suites but this I would encourage everyone to be capable of walking stairs to really enjoy the beauty of this hotel.

There is a convenience store across the street for general provisions and there is also a fantastic Italian restaurant that is in an unusual location for such great food. A bus ride into either San Jose or Cab is 15 pesos so about a $1.50 and they run every 15 to 20 minutes...that is how I went into town.

I hope this helps you make your travel plans. Trip Advisor has always been a great resource for me so I am pleased to offer my review.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

This hotel is amazing. Small Mexican hotel right on the beach. The beach is beautiful and very peaceful. Food is excellent and very reasonably priced.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Marbella Suites en la Playa? Share your experiences!