“Great Time With Family” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos to your Saves list
Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Corredor Turistico Km 10, Lote D | Cabo del Sol, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Ranked #15 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Sacramento, CA
“Great Time With Family”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We just returned from a week stay here. We purchased our trip through Costco Travel for $3,669.24 for two adults and two children (ages 10 and 7). With that came a room (with two queen beds), a $200 food and beverage credit, kids eat free program, a daily breakfast buffet breakfast at Tomatoes for the four of us and a $50 spa credit.

Positives:

The resort itself is beautiful as well as the beautifully landscaped grounds. No room has a "bad" view....not even the garden view rooms (which we had). Our room itself was spacious and had two queen beds (now days you usually only get doubles) and it had a nice size bathroom. Enough room for our family of four. The grounds and swimming pools are great. There are so many swimming pools and lounges we never, ever had a problem finding a place to sit. It is a more "quiet" resort. Although there were older couples, younger couples and families with children at this resort....it never felt out of balance in any way....a very nice mix of guests. There isn't loud music blasting at this resort and there are only a few activities that they do (water aerobics, bingo, volleyball, etc.). Compared to our stay at the Beach Palace in Cancun this resort is very, very quiet. We loved the festive nature of the Beach Palace but then we also loved the quiet, relaxing nature of the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar. The food was good quality. We ate of Tomatoes, The Sirenas Bar (by the pool) and Pitahayas. All were very good for Mexico standards but ridiculously priced. This resort has it's own private beach. Again, there was always a palapa or lounge chair to sit in. You can get 30 minutes of free internet in the lobby where they have several computers for you to use.

Negatives:

Although it has it's own private beach, the ocean itself was not the "highlight" of the trip. The Sea of Cortez is VERY cold and the ocean at this resort is dangerous and not swimable. We love swimming in the ocean so these two points made it a bit of a let down. But the view of the ocean on the beach is spectacular and we just dipped our feet in once in a while and sat back and relaxed listening to the waves. Another thing about the beach are the peddlers trying to sell you something. We were in Cancun last year and they were not nearly as bad as they were at this resort. There were hoards of them and the same people would come up to you over and over and over. I tried to pretend I was sleeping and they would wake me up. They used a lot of guilt and shame in their selling tactics....total turnoff. We did not buy anything from them. It was fake, cheap stuff sold at ridiculously high prices. The food at the resort restaurants are ridiculously high....higher than U.S. restaurants of similar quality. You could go for broke if you ate breakfast, lunch and dinner here. My husband and I thought they would generate so much more business if they just made the prices more reasonable. Because of this we ended up eating in Cabo and going to Walmart and loaded up on snacks, three twelve packs of beer, 12 pack of soda, and a 12 pack of water and a cooler for $38.00. This saved us a TON of money in the high price of the drinks and tipping as well. The last negative I need to mention is we had dinner at Pitahayas. Loved it. Spent over a $100 on dinner for the two of us and left a 15-20% tip. However, I left my sunglasses on the table because by the time we left it was pitch black and they had to give us a flashlight to sign our check. I returned at 8am the next morning to not very helpful employees. I had to make a huge stink at the reception desk at the hotel and then things got moving. By 3:30 we were told to come to Pitahayas to talk to them about the status of my sunglasses. We met with the manager and some woman that I think was assistant manager. The woman admitted she found my sunglasses on the table and failed to write up an incident report and send them to security. Instead she said she put them in a drawer and that somebody stole them during the night. They were $100 sunglasses and I was not happy about this. The woman said she could reimburse me but that it would come out of her own pocket. My husband and I thought it wasn't much of an apology and that she was trying to guilt trip. We just sat there and looked at each other and then the male manager spoke up and offered us to eat at their restaurant again tonight "on the house". We agreed to this, shook his hand and he walked away. The female assistant manager again told us that the dinner would be out of her paycheck but assured us that it was her fault my sunglasses were stolen. Although we again felt guilt tripped and awkward, we agreed to the dinner...afterall they should take responsibility and do right by their guests. As we walked away, the guilt tripping angered me so I went back to the hotel reception desk and told them about it. She said that was wrong to be made felt awkward and called them and said a bunch of stuff in Spanish and then assured me we would be treated well for dinner. We did end up having a wonderful dinner and time. On the positive side, I appreciate that they owned up that my sunglasses were stolen...they could have played dumb and said they never saw them. The only downfall was the guilt tripping...that was very unprofessional. The guilt and shaming of guests seems to be the way in Mexico. I know they want to make money but I really resent them going about it that way in order to get a tip, etc.

We took a boat trip to The Arch. It is absolutely a must do. The water taxi's at the marina are $10 per person roundtrip and then they also charge you an additional $1.00 per adult for some kind of "marina fee". The drivers of the boats also want to be tipped whatever you deem appropriate. We parked at the mall parking garage for 15 pesos for all day. They do not accept U.S. money for payment so you better have pesos on you. This works out to be less than $2.00 to park there all day. A very good deal. Down the street from the parking garage is a place called Gardenias. A whole in the wall type of place but it had $3.00 fish, chicken or steak tacos and $3.00 beers. We were told that there is a taco shack called El Grande Pastor that is on the main drag. We tried to go there for lunch but found out that they open at 7pm. We were told they had the best tacos for about $1.50 each.

We did not rent a car and would the next time. It would be nice to not have to rely on shuttles and taxis and that in itself adds up.

Overall, we had a great trip and would return to this resort. Minus the few negative mentions, the resort had really nice employees, nice spacious rooms, beautiful grounds, pools and beach and the food was more than edible (we have been to Mexico resorts where the food was awful). I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed account of your experience, and that you highly recommend our resort overall.

I apologize for the issue with your lost sunglasses. As you can imagine, sunglasses are often misplaced. We do our best to help our guests help keep track of their belongings through incident reports and make corrections from misses in protocol.

I’m glad that you enjoyed dining at Tomatoes, The Sirenas Bar, and Pitahayas! I also commend your choice in taking the boat trip to The Arch. It’s definitely a must-do excursion to appreciate a stunning natural landmark. We hope to serve you again on your next trip to Cabo.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is a great property with a nice old Mexico architectural style instead of the common, box- style hotel and condo developments throughout Los Cabos. The service, as others have commented on, is truly outstanding, and every request is met. The long string of different pools throughout the property plus the endless pool beachside is a real plus. The only complaint is that the room acoustics in the main hotel building are not great, and you can easily hear others moving about you on the floor above. Would recommend staying in one of the other buildings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos here on TripAdvisor. We take our guests’ comments to heart and strive for the best possible service during your stay, so we are happy to hear that we were able to provide you with stellar service! When Cabo calls you away for another stay, we hope to host you again!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The Sheraton Hacienda is a great resort! We stayed for 7 nights in early June. The staff were very nice, and all three concierges were amazing. They helped us plan all of our activities (dune buggies and snorkeling in Cabo Pulmo recommended) and line up a series of outstanding dinners (Flora Farms and Casiano's). The food on site is good, but the prices are very high. Much higher then surrounding area. The shining star is Girasoles de la Hacienda. There all you can eat breakfast is reasonably priced ($15) and includes unlimited ordering from the menu - food is excellent. Pitihayas was also good.

We found the beach very swimmable, and the large waves made it fun. Little kids would have problems.

The grounds and location are perfect. Would recommend!

Room Tip: Building 23 and 24 are great
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed our sparkling Sea of Cortez. As with most wavy beaches, it is not recommended for young children or non-swimmers and its variable conditions are monitored and reported as well as marked by posted colored flags.

Regarding your comment about the price for the food, I would like to mention that prices are generally the same in Los Cabos area for being a prestige destination.

Thank you for recommending the Sheraton in Los Cabos. We hope to see you again soon!
Wilmette, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here earlier this month. We had a great time. The hotel is located next to the white-sand beach, where we can watch the sunrise every morning. One can choose from several pools - my personal favorite is the infinity pool near the main building. The room is well-appointed, spacious, and comfortable. Members of the hotel staff we met were very courteous and helpful. In fact, I had a minor medical issue during our stay. One member of the concierge staff (Angelina) scheduled me to see an English-speaking doctor immediately and put me at ease. I couldn't speak enough good things about the hotel staff - they are absolutely fantastic! There are several restaurants on site. The food is uniformly good, but quite expensive (see next paragraph). The hotel is about 6 miles from Cabo San Lucas, where one can explore other dining options, as well as shopping and outdoor activities.

We chose the all-inclusive option during this stay, which includes room, Internet, all meals (with some minor restrictions) and drinks (including at pool-side), taxes, and gratuities. Compared with just the room and Internet, this is equivalent to about $85 per person per day for meals. This is not a bad deal, especially if you like a few drinks and you don't want to drive around looking for restaurants.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
It is wonderful to hear that we were able to help make your anniversary stay a pleasurable and memorable one. Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar to celebrate this special time and for sharing your thoughts and tips with other travelers about our resort, the all-inclusive option, and ways to experience Cabo.

We are fortunate to have a slice of paradise here at the resort and are happy to hear that you enjoyed our white-sand beaches, complete with beautiful sunrises!

Along with our amenities, we are proud to provide world-class service with heart, and it is very important to us that our guests enjoy themselves and feel well taken care of, especially important in the event of a medical or other need that comes up.

We hope that you will come see us again and look forward to your visit!
Tucson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

If you are looking for a wedding location or a vows renewal location, this is it. Jose Pineda is their wedding planner and he is fantastic. We just did a small vows renewal ceremony and it was wonderful.

Set up everything from the states with no problem all via email. We had a beach side ceremony with a Hoopla (like a little white tent thing, sticks with white cloth draped over it) onsite professional photos were great, onsite preacher was great, everything was perfect.

Even though it was only us and our best friend couple the all treated us as if we were special. I think they gave us the same treatment as if we had been a big wedding with 100 people.

I cannot say enough about how easy and how perfect this whole thing was.

The resort itself is great, lots of dining choices, beautiful beachfront location, great golf course, and multiple pools. The staff of the entire resort had the best attitude of any resort we have ever been to (and we've been to hundreds of them). Every single staff member did their absolute best to make sure our experience was perfect.

We love this place and will go back every year!

Arizona Zonies love Cabo
Hacienda Del Mar is the Best!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing about your positive stay here on TripAdvisor. We are so happy that you chose the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos to renew your vows. That is such a meaningful experience and it was our pleasure having you here. We look forward to seeing you next year!
North Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I've just returned from my trip last week, and I have to say that I was very impressed with this hotel, which made the stay very enjoyable, and much harder to leave! I've traveled to many locations and stayed at many hotels over the past twenty years, and the food and service that I received here put this hotel among the best in my opinion. From the moment we arrived, the staff were very friendly and helpful. They were able to answer any questions that we had, and ensured that we were always well taken care of. Equally impressive was the food that we had at the resort. It was reasonably priced and the quality was amazing! We both enjoyed our meals very much, and this only improved the experience we had this past week. Although I've mainly highlighted the food and service, that isn't to say that the other aspects of the hotel were not very good as well! We found the rooms to be very comfortable and clean, and not once did we have any late nights due to noisy neighbors. We didn't get a chance to try the spa for ourselves, but we talked to several different couples who said that it was a very relaxing and luxurious experience. I don't often leave reviews for hotels, but I felt obliged to leave one in this case, due to the unbelievable stay I had at this Sheraton. I highly recommend it to anyone who is going to be staying in the area!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience here on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed your time with us at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort, Los Cabos. We strive to provide world-class service with heart, along with amenities and dining befitting our AAA Four Diamond resort rating and so it is gratifying to hear your thoughts about the service you received as well as how you found our restaurants and pricing.

It would be a pleasure to host you again on your next visit to Cabo -- and perhaps then you will have an opportunity to experience our spa for yourself. At any rate, we look forward to serving you!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Earlier this month My Wife, Sister In Law, and a friend visited the Sheraton Hacienda in Cabo San Lucas and it was an awesome experience. From the time we got there we were treated very well. I was impressed by how very helpful ALL the staff was. Amalia at Guest Relations was awesome in helping us book our Zipline, Snorkeling, & Dinner Cruise. I was a bit concerned because I had read some negative reviews about this place but we DID NOT experience any negativity. The restaurants were Excellent! We loved the breakfast at Girasoles. The hotel grounds were well maintained. The weather was perfect and the hotel was very relaxing away from all the tourist areas. Overall, our stay was great and we can't wait to go back! Thank you Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar! From F. Andrade

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Sheraton H, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you so very much for your most kind comments about your stay here at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar. It is our goal to provide world-class service with heart here in our relaxing corner of Cabo paradise and it is gratifying to hear that you enjoyed yourselves and chose to share your comments with other travelers here.

Our Guest Relations staff loves being asked to suggest excursions and can easily arrange for experiences such as zip lining, snorkeling, & dinner cruises, which are offered year round.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you again when you return to Cabo.

Been to Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos? Share your experiences!