“A Perfect wedding at the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar, we all love this place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos to your Saves list
Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Corredor Turistico Km 10, Lote D | Cabo del Sol, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Special Rate
3rd Night Free From $226
Ranked #17 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“A Perfect wedding at the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar, we all love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My husband and I just had our wedding at The Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar with 46 of our friends. Everyone, including us, loved everything about it! We all came from the U.S. from many different parts. I work in Beverly Hills and Hollywood along with a lot of my guests, some of my friends work and live in Napa, some are from Portland, Louisiana, and some even flew out from Pittsburgh. We are a motley crew, and I will tell you this, every single person adored this resort. From the pickiest and most refined, to the most laid back, all of my friends told me they were stunned when they first arrived and were so happy that we had chosen the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar to have our nuptials.

About the property: It is a pretty short drive from the airport, 30 minutes tops. It is about 25 min away from town, about 15 minutes to both the Costco and the Walmart. We chose Cabo Transfers to shuttle us, (we were all pretty unhappy with the shuttle company, they weren't very good) and it was $30 round trip to and from the airport which I thought was a good price. You can use the Sheraton van to get you into town and it is $20 per shuttle ride. However, that is for guests up to 4 people, and it's only $5 more per person. Essentially, you only pay $5.00 for each time you go into town if you're with at least 4 people, which I thought for a 25 min drive is more than fair. I saw some guests complained about the price to get to and from Cabo in previous reviews, and I don't know what they're used to, but in Los Angeles even $10 per person for a 25 min drive is more than fair. $5.00 was a super good deal in my book.

Also, I know for us some of my friends were very concerned with safety because they had heard some things about Mexico and had some bad experiences in the past when traveling there. To get into the resort you have to go through a security gate where there is a guard 24 hours a day. Also, there are guards near the entrance and walking around the property so you always feel at ease. When arriving you hand your luggage to the bellhops and then you check in, they take care of your luggage for you at that point by going with you to your room. I know some people complain about having to tip them, but I really believe the resort does this to save the guests trouble of having to find their rooms. Let me explain: this resort is quite huge. We were here for 4 days and we were constantly finding a hidden little pool or restaurant. If the front desk person handed you your key and tried to direct you, even the most skilled Eagle Scout would have trouble finding their room. You definitely need the help of a bellhop to take you to find your room. I don't think guests could find their room on their own right after checking in. In the end, most of us were taken in golf carts to our room with our luggage and it saved a lot of time, energy and confusion this way. (for us it was worth a $3.00 tip to get there in 2 min vs trying to find it ourselves with our luggage which would have taken us forever)

I read the about guests complaining about the time share in other reviews as well. My guests either told them they weren't interested, and that wasn't a problem, or some of them went along with it and got some free activities and food out of it. Didn't seem to be a problem at all. We were all very happy with the restaurants on the property. Tomatoes had a great buffet. Yes, service was slow, but it's a buffet, so all you really need to ask for is the check and more coffee. It's about $20 per person but there is everything you can think of for breakfast, from bloody mary's and mimosas to omelette's and fresh fruits to a smoothie bar and oatmeal. We also ate at their most expensive restaurant on the property, and it was roughly $95 per person after the tip, the wine and the meal. We all loved our dishes and were happy with the service and quality of food. (We went into town and also ate at Maro's and Cabo Wabo, which we were happy with)

The rooms here are gorgeous. For our wedding blockage rate we had a price of $220 per ocean view room. When you're in charge of 46 people staying and spending their money on you for a destination wedding you want to make sure that they're happy. All of my guests were in love with their rooms and thought that the price was more than fair after arrival. Roughly when sharing a room it was $110 per person and they all told me they'd stay here again if they were to visit Cabo. A few of my guests had to change rooms because they were either next to a family or a loud neighbor. The resort changed their rooms with no problem. A heads up: you can hear people above you or if you are next to a family you will definitely hear the kids. Maybe it's because I travel so much, but I think when staying in a hotel this is just something that will happen. Essentially, if you stay here and you don't like your neighbors just ask to be moved and everything will be groovy.

The Wedding: I had the most amazing coordinator from The Sheraton, Jose Pineda, work with me. He was so attentive, so patient, and so professional I couldn't have asked for anything more. When looking for a venue, I was nervous as I wouldn't be visiting first. I was going off of Trip Advisor, online photos and online reviews from bridal websites. I emailed a ton of resorts, and every time I'd email the Sheraton with a question or concern I got a response that was friendly and factual within 24 hours. After emailing for over a month I decided to go with The Sheraton. We decided to go with this resort 10 months before the wedding and I had chosen mostly everything at that point that I wanted so I wouldn't have to worry about it later. I pretty much didn't stress about anything or contact them until 2 months before, and then I started to have anxiety over all the details. I pretty much bombarded Jose with email after email with questions, worries, pictures, pricing, etc etc and with every single email he calmed my nerves and made me feel at ease. Sure enough, everything he promised he delivered. He had arranged a mariachi band at cocktail hour, a cigar roller, an awesome DJ, Jaoquin, who played all the music we requested, gorgeous orchids, etc etc. Everything went smoothly and was gorgeous. People told me it was the most fun and beautiful weddings they had been to.

Over all, I couldn't have asked for anything for more. The resort is truly gorgeous, the wedding was perfect. The staff is all so friendly and accomodating, we will be back and we recommend it highly!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We travel to a lot of time shares . This was a super resort. We took my 70 year old mother and 3 teenagers. Pools are wonderful. Happy hours abundant. WONDERFUL WONDERFUL Food and Restaurants and an on-site store that meets all immediate needs if not even a family for a week. It is easy to get to local grocery stores, Costco, WalMart and Sam's. Transportation in to Cabo San Lucas is easy and cheap and no car rental is necessary. My husband and son LOVED the golf and golf club for lunch. The beach is gorgeous but very round and not recommended for swimming. We used caboadventures for snorkeling, whale watching and zip line excursions which got us into the Desert and out on the Water. The hotel/time share employees were friendly. The studio suites are HUGE and could have easily held our 5 family members. The kitchenettes are adequate. Two nice TVS in each studio. HUGE BATHROOMS. Very Clean. Good size balconies. Gorgeous sunsets from every point in the resort. We would absolutely GO BACK and enjoyed it all.

Room Tip: Rooms owned by time share owners are on the water. But every rooms is lovely with some looking out...
Cornvillel, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Just returned from our 6th visit in 6 years. Every year we swear to go elsewhere but it is just too good not to return... The remoteness is a double edged benefit--lends itself to quiet but far from town conveniences. There is a $10. fare to go round trip to Cabo San Lucas but I wish they also had this available for San Jose Del Cabo. The staff goes out of its way to respond to your every wish and the scenery is restful and wonderful. Loved the pool activities.

Room Tip: The newer rooms are the nicest but far from the water.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We just got back from our stay at the Sheraton! Hands down the most beautiful hotel we've ever stayed at! The property was impeccable! The hotel is about 25 minutes from the airport and about 10 minutes from downtown! They also provide complimentary wifi, 2 bottled waters every day, parking, and beach services (umbrella services and chairs)! There was a turn down service every evening which included 2 andes mints :) The only downside was our timeshare presentation but at least we got some perks from it! Several pools throughout the property and 3 hot tubs. We only ate at the Tomato restaurant, which the ceviche was delicious! Thank you so much Sheraton for making our 3rd anniversary memorable!

Room Tip: Wish we had a beach view but still a nice corner room with quick access to the beach!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Sheraton Hacienda del Mar feels like staying in a little Mexican village with it s beautiful buildings situated on the blue sea.-Wow!!! Many magnificent nice warm pools too.
This property is a wonderful 5 star hotel. From the second we arrived Mary Avalos the Front Office Manage made sure we had a beautiful room- it helps to be Starwood Platinum and have a birthday!
The hotel is perfectly situated between SJB and CSL. The staff are very pleasant and are there to make your stay a great experience. Some of the best meals we had were on the property. A must stay in Cabo.

Room Tip: If its your birthday - it helps- we had a beautiful suite!
Clontarf, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Parents have a timeshare here, so they stay a month each winter. We have stayed here 4 times in the past few years. The grounds are beautiful, the pools are always clean, and the rooms are very nice. This is more of a quiet remote spot. No beach traffic from other resorts, away from town, and relaxing. Generally very quiet in the evenings. Everyone seems to go to bed early. Food is very expensive on-site, at least for us mid-western folks. Grocery store uptown is where we stock-up for most of our meals.

Room Tip: Make sure to visit the Roadhouse for supper. Half way to town on right side of road. Kind of an ex...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Mercer Island, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is my second visit to this resort. On the first visit we had decent rooms. Ocean view, near one of the pools. It was very hot, and there were not many people at the resort in September 2011. The steak house was closed.

On this our second visit (January 2013), when we were given garden view rooms at check in, we were told that the hotel was full. This was a gross exaggeration. There were even fewer people at the pools, and the restaurants were virtually empty. It was also explained to us at check-in that breakfast was included with our room rate at the Tomatoes Restaurant, but at no other venue. Breakfast was in fact not included with any of our rooms.

There are a number of scams at this resort. First, you are not allowed to take your bags to your room, no matter if you have a tiny carry on or a steamer trunk. I am happy to give a generous tip, where one is deserved, however, I do not like to be held hostage for a tip.

On our first visit, one member of our party traveled to the hotel from the airport via shuttle for a reasonable $16 USD. When the same service was requested from the hotel concierge to return to the airport, we were told that a 48 hour advance notice was needed and we were forced to take a cab at a cost of USD $60. On this current visit, more than 48 hours notice was given for the airport transfer, and again we were told by the concierge that it was impossible to arrange for the shuttle. Apparently no amount of time is enough time to arrange for the shuttle. One doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to deduce that there is an "arrangement" with the hotel and the cab company.

The food has been good on both visits. The wait staff is friendly, but the service is very slow. The front desk staff are ill-informed. Even though we paid regular price for rooms (through a travel agent) we were not allowed to leave the lobby after check-in without a lengthy sit-down with the Time Share Sales agent.

This will be our last visit to the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar. I expect more when I pay $250/per night for a bed.

Room Tip: Ask for high rooms with ocean view, near the beach or beach pools. Be prepared for the staff to tel...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos? Share your experiences!