“Nice resort. Great location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos

You added Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos to your Saves list
Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Corredor Turistico Km 10, Lote D | Cabo del Sol, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Best Rate Guaranteed
Ranked #20 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Los Angeles, California
“Nice resort. Great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Nice resort close to downtown and Cabo del Sol golf. Nice amenities with nice clean standard rooms. We also stayed at the Hilton and I felt the rooms and location of the resort were better at the Sheraton. Most staff were excellent. Valet were the best. Concierge and front desk was average. Buffet dinner at the casual restaurant was average but sports bar downstairs was a good atmosphere. Only criticism was the lighting in the rooms was too dark and could use better design but otherwise, the rooms were great. Double sinks compared to Hilton which was single. May not seem important until you share with many other people. Shuttle takes you to Cabo del Sol next door, by far the best golf course in Cabo. The Mexican Pebble Beach as they call it. You will enjoy your stay here.

Room Tip: Main building the best I heard. We stayed in bldg 29 which was close to main building and easy acce...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Santa Monica, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

My fiance and I stayed here looking at different wedding venue options and we fell in love with the Cortez Restaurant on the beach. Unfortunately our date was taken so we had to move on to plan B but we had an overall great stay here. The customer service was great and the beach is SO private and wasn't crowded at all which we loved. Definitely didn't have the vibe of a "typical" Sheraton which was a nice surprise. I will say though the rooms were a disappointment. Apparently they were remodeled just last year but we were less than impressed. Blue tile floors and that old school Mexico type feel to it. Some people may not think that's a problem, but we like more modern rooms. Would we go back? Absolutely, but just for a day trip to their amazing venue and beach =)

Room Tip: an ocean front room is a must!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

stayed there last week - traded out a timeshare week - resort rooms are clean, well kept (maid service 4 bucks a day), and quiet with balconies and mini-kitchens with plates, glasses, silverware, mini-fridge, and small stove - beach bar (Tortugas) happy hour 2-4 - Manuel an excellent bartender - wish I was still there - the only reason I am giving this place 4 stars instead of 5 is that the rooms are just showing a bit of wear, but I'd go back there in a heartbeat!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

First off, I own a time share at Sheraton Hacienda del Mar (Presidential - 3 bedroom, 4 baths) so I'm 'married' to the place for the foreseeable future. I secured the timeshare after my first visit last year and got it on the open market rather than from the salespeople at the resort. I just got done my first week in the suite and it was fantastic. Here is a realistic and honest assessment by an 'owner';

The Good
* Grounds are spectacular and impeccably maintained
* Proximity to everything is fantastic - trips to Cabo or San Jose are easy
* Golf in Los Cabos is out of this world - I played both courses at Cabo del Sol, Querencia, Puerto Los Cabos, and Diamante. On my prior trip I played Palmilla and Cabo Real. All are fantastic - there isn't a place on this planet with a better combination of golf/beaches/weather.
* Speaking of the weather - it doesn't get any better than Cabo. If you like 85 and sunny with no humidity, this place is for you.
* Restaurants are good - not great, but good. People who complain about the prices clearly don't get to many resorts/good restaurants. By example, I had a great dinner at Tomatoes - the total bill for the four of us was $180 including drinks, dinner, and a generous tip. That's $45pp, more than reasonable. Of course, if you don't mind the timeshare tour you can get a card giving you 15% off on dinners. We didn't do it as we own but know others who did.
* Housekeeping was fantastic - very thorough and efficient.
* Pool is as good as it gets - I'm not a beach guy because I don't like sand but being at the pool makes it feel like you're at the beach since it overlooks it. It's the best of all worlds - I can enjoy the sights and the sounds of the beach while never leaving my poolside chair. Service at the pool was excellent, water beautiful, and cleanliness impeccable.
* The only issue with the bill were some added internet charges (probably our fault) - without question they removed those I objected to. Everything else was spot-on accurate and checkout took about 3 minutes.
* Rooms are spacious and well-appointed.
* The resort has good size but isn't hard to walk around - feels almost like you're in a mini-town which I enjoy vs. one big building that houses everyone.
* Complimentary coffee station in the morning is a nice touch.
* Sunrises by the pool are the equal of anywhere in the world.
* The airport is easy to navigate and in close proximity to the resorts. Just remember that when you walk out it's the area where the timeshare people attack. Go to the left where it says 'residents' and ignore them.

The Bad
* Securing pool chairs can be a pain in the rear. It's better since they put signs on the chairs indicating they can't be 'saved' but it still happens. That said, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em - tip the pool guys well and you'll be fine.
* Food is mediocre by a foodies' standard. I'm not a foodie so it's fine for me but I could see pompous foodies whining about the quality.
* For some reason the resort seems to attract it's fair share of nickel-rockets. This is a very upscale place - it's not meant to be 'cheap' but somehow their efforts to fill rooms leads to discounting - then those people get there on a deal and expect everything to be a deal. All you need to do is read some of these reviews to know who they are - the fact is, instead of whining about prices they should either go to a lesser-priced resort or buck up for an inclusive package.
* The timeshare people can be a pain in the rear.....but can you blame them? They're just trying to make a living and doing that in Mexico can be tough. If you don't like them hawking you, either ignore them or nicely tell them you're not interested. If they don't accept your being nice and stay on you, tell them to go 'you know what' themselves......they'll get the point and never bother you again.
* Renting a car can be onerous. Make sure if you do you're aware of the mandatory insurance coverage you have to get - it'll add at least $100 to a week rental but it's in the small print of most contracts.
* If you do a timeshare presentation they'll tell you it's 75 minutes - the reality is it's double that.
* Couches in the suites are not very comfortable and showers inconsistent from one room to the next.

The Ugly
* On one day we had the misfortune of having a bunch of morons from somewhere in the South sit by us at the pool. They're being hammered at 10am and being loud was bad; when they pulled out a portable music player and started blaring country music it was all we could take. We ended up moving to avoid what I know would have been a confrontation but occasionally you can run into very inconsiderate guests who negatively impact your experience. Of course, this can be true anywhere but between parents who can't control their kids and amateur resort visitors (those who constantly say 'it's five o'clock somewhere' to justify their drinking) can impact your enjoyment of public areas.
* Don't buy pesos at the hotel - the exchange rate is ridiculously unfair.

Hopefully this info helps you. I've been lucky to travel all over the world and I'd place Cabo in my top two or three destinations anywhere. I'm thrilled that I'll be returning to the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar for many years to come. Every dog has fleas and this resort has a few but the positives FAR OUTWEIGH any negatives!

Mexico City, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed in room 2221 between December 1st - 5th, 2012. The room is spacious and has an incredible view of the ocean. Air conditioning works great and is reasonably quiet; beds are very comfortable. The white sand is amazing. There is one down side, the water temperature in the swimming pools is very cold; my son and I got in with difficulties and my wife did not get in at all. It´s easy to see when the water is cold, because most of the guests spend their they outside the pool.

Restaurants are OK, we had dinner at Pitahayas with a Pacific Rim style, great service, the food is OK although not very kids-friendly.

Our trip to Los Cabos was perfect, we released some sea turtles from their nest into the ocean, tried some buggies and sailed around the bay. Weather was incredible!

Several people approached us offering discounts if we accepted attending a promotional breakfast, we turned them all down, it started at the rental car facility, the hotel, the marina but it´s all about time shares; my suggestion stay away from them and enjoy your vacation.

Room Tip: Get an oceanfront room, it worths the extra payment and, if you get the option, get the all-inclusiv...
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Had a ocean front villa (under $200 per night) and the view was amazing. Great value, great beach, good pools and grounds and overall a better hotel than I expected.
Downside was I thought the food and drinks were expensive. Maybe it is the current dismal $USD, I dont know. Cabo across the board seems more expensive than it should be.
There are rotating drink specials and happy hours acorss the 6 or 7 bars so if you are diligent and dont mind walking the property, you can grab 2 for 1 on beers, margs, other cocktails and food specials pretty much the entire day. There was also a great breakfast/brunch buffet everyday that was well worth the price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Having been to Cabo a couple time before and loving the Hilton, I am now wondering why we even took the chance by staying here but hind sight is always 20:20. The 3 nights for 2 plus resort credit reeled us in...you definitely get what you pay for. The staff is accommodating but not friendly and in no way go out of their way to treat you like a guest. Our room was never clean before 4PM and we had to inevitably call for clean glasses and coffee for the morning. I travel a lot and have never been in a hotel where I had to change my own toilet paper...big deal?...yes, when you're paying of it. The only plus is the vicinity to town, otherwise run forest, run...and run fast.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos? Share your experiences!