The Sheraton Hacienda del Mar is a well maintained beautiful property. If you don't mind an older quiet crowd and a beach front that is for experienced swimmers, this hotel is a perfect choice. Here are some reasons a Starwood Preferred member may want to stay here:
Starwood Amenities - We used suite nights for a guaranteed room upgrade which was a very good value. We opted for the free continental breakfast as our welcome amenity which provided us with a generous selection of breads, fruits, cereals at Tomatoes Restaurant. We were given the option to upgrade to the full breakfast buffet for a $9.00 charge. Free WiFi is provided for platinum members, as well as a 20% discount on all spa treatments. A free daily tequila shot in the tequila bar for Platinum status was an added surprise. An unexpected welcome gift of cheese and wine was brought to our room upon arrival. Overall, this hotel does a very good job of recognizing Starwood loyalty.
Property - The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. The hotel is beach front and provides a gorgeous sea view. Unfortunately, the beach is sometimes not swimmable due to rough waters. The hotel swimming pools more than make up for it. The pools are well designed and maintained. The property's classic yet modern hacienda style architecture provides for a picturesque setting, yet you still feel like you're in Mexico. Well done Sheraton!
Rooms- Our one bedroom suite included a full kitchen, large jacuzzi tub, two balconies, two flat screen TVs, two full bathrooms, & a full size refrigerator. There are very few true ocean front rooms. Most have partial ocean or garden views. The Bvlgari toiletries, robes, and slippers provided for our suite stay were wonderful touches of added luxury. Free bottled water was provided daily. On a constructive note, the pillows were below Sheraton standards and were heavy and flat.
Customer Service - Hotel customer service was outstanding. All staff was extremely attentive and accommodating. The hotel receives high marks in this category. The is a sign of a well managed team.
Gym- If you like a good workout when vacationing, you're in luck. The Hotel has a first rate gym. Six ellipticals, eight treadmills, free weights, newer weight lifting machinery, and a separate exercise studio.
Overall, The Hacienda del Mar is among the best Sheraton Hotels worldwide. The hotel could easily be elevated in the Starwood hierarchy to Luxury Collection status due to it's high level of service and standards. It's important for us to mention that we felt safe and secure during our entire stay in Los Cabo, so don't hesitate to travel here. This hotel is a great value and we highly recommend it, however it still does not compare to places like Esperanza or The One and Only. Here are a few helpful hints if you are staying here soon:
1. Rent a car - The hotel is not centrally located. You will need a car to get around town. Self and valet parking at the hotel is free. It's easy to navigate through Los Cabo and San Jose. Take out added car insurance just in case. We rented from Dollar and recommend it.
2. Costco - Make a stop at Costco on your way in to buy drinks, wine, and snacks. It's just a 10 minute drive from the hotel. Stop at an OXXO convenience store for soda and snacks. We did not care to shop at Vinoteca for wine and preferred Costco's selection better.
3. Pool Chairs - Get up early to watch the sun rise and get your prime chase lounge location. The towel stand opens at 7am. The best locations are taken early. Make sure to spend one day lounging on the sandy beach close to the water's edge.
4. Cash and Points- Consider using cash and points for your stay. It's a great deal at $60 a night and 4,000 points per night. Good news, the Sheraton Hacienda does NOT charge an added resort fee.
5. Breakfast - Opt for the continental breakfast as your platinum amenity. It's a good value. Food selections change daily and it's delicious.
6. Restaurants - Hotel restaurants are good, however, enjoy dinner off site a few nights. Try Maro's (in Los Cabo), Meson del Angel (in San Jose), or La Cocina del Mar (at the Esperanza Hotel - one of the best and most beautiful settings in the world - seriously, this place is gorgeous). Our favorite on-site restaurant was Girasoles.
7. Bring Binoculars - During the fall and winter months whales migrate south and pass right by the hotel beach front. Bring binoculars to get a birds eye view!
8. Poolside Happy Hours - Enjoy two for one prices for any drink on the menu costing $116 pesos between the hours of 11am - noon daily.
9. Visit El Arco - Make sure to visit El Arco and Lover's Beach. Take a glass bottom boat from the Marina which will cost $12 per person. Take your own food , drinks, & towels since there is no retail or services available.
10. The Hotel Lookout Tower - Make sure to climb the hotel tower for the best vista views at sunrise or sunset. Assess is available on the 21st floor of the hotel main building. Carefully climbing the two spiral staircases.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.