“Overall, an exceptional resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos

Save Saved
You added Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos to your Saves list
Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Corredor Turistico Km 10, Lote D | Cabo del Sol, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Special Rate
3rd Night Free From $226
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Nanaimo, Canada
“Overall, an exceptional resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2011

Overall we had a great experience.
We arrived and requested an upgrade. We were told that we really didn't want an upgrade as we had the "best" room in the resort. We were very happy with the choice as our room was the last one on the corner of the property and had an uninterrupted view of the beach and water. We were on the ground floor and it was literally a 20 meter walk to the beach. We booked an oceanside room and that was exactly what we got.

The staff were generally very helpful and went out of their way to ensure our comfort and that our needs were met. Any minor issues were immediately dealt with and I do not see the need to discuss them.

We ate at three of the restaurants on the property. Girasoles was pretty good and delivered good quality value. Tomatoes was reasonable and again delivered against our expectations.

We had a very sad experience at Pitahayas. We had read much about this restaurant and went with high expectations. Were we disappointed! We were shown to a table that had glass shards all over it. There were even glass splinters on the cutlery. I asked for another table and we were moved. The only problem was that they seated another couple at that same table without cleaning it!!!!!! We noticed that they had a drink and left. Go figure!
For a five diamond restaurant, the waiters are very poorly trained. Individual plates were taken away, before we had barely finished each course and they were cleared individually and not together. Our waiter 'hovered" around us and filled our wine almost after every sip. It was most annoying. The quality of the food was very poor and we struggled to eat our appies and main courses. It was bland and tasteless. I have to say that we had better meals in Cabo at places like the "Office" for an eighth of the price. We skipped desert as our evening had already been ruined.

As for the rest of the resort, we were very happy with the service, quality and general ambiance of the place.

We went deep sea fishing and had caught some yellow-fin tuna. The hotel prepared a fantastic meal for us (Tomatoes). They went out of their way to ensure that we had a superb meal. We had gotten too much sun that day and the meal was brought to our room with no fuss. This was the best meal that we had all week.

Overall, we would certainly go back again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
RenatoMendoncaGM, General Manager at Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos, responded to this review, May 27, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time and give us some feedback on your experience at our resort. I am very glad that the overall experience was great but sad to hear about the experience at Pitahayas. I will personally review your comments with the Restaurant Chef and Management. Would there be any possibility for you to contact me at renato.mendonca@sherton.com ?, I will be glad to meet with you on your next trip to Cabos and maybe you could help us with another visit to Pitahayas and a second chance to review our performance and improvements.
Once again thank you for your time and comments.

Best Regards,

Renato Mendonca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
san francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

Ok, so we just got back from a 5 night visit to Cabo. This is our 8th trip to Los Cabos and we have stayed at a number of different hotels.
Overall this stay was average with a few highlights.

Here are the pro's and con's of the Sheraton Del mar.
First the pro's- The hotel was a good value for us ($150/night with Kid's eat free and free buffet breakfast for adults).
The hotel staff on the whole was friendly, courteous and helpful.
ROGELIO at the bar Delfines/Sirenas restaurant gave us exceptional service and went out of his way to make us comfortable. (management, if you are reading this review, please do the necessary to make sure you reward such fantastic service).
The 4 pools were nice and convenient, we particularly liked the Delfines. It was isolated and not as busy.

Now for the con's-
HORRIBLE FOOD!!!!! We tried Tomatoes, Sirena's, Cortez steakhouse and also the Pitahayas restaurant.
I must say that this hotel is built 'for gringo's by gringo's'.
The food resembles and tastes like a inferior version of Denny's and El Torito but for 4 times the price.
The breakfast buffet at Tomatoes restaurant was awful! They had Red and green Chilaquiles everyday which were mass produced in a jumbo platter and the tortilla chips were soggy and goopy.
Approx 80% of their menu's are full of American and Italian food.
I guess, if you are looking to go to Mexico and have Burgers, Fries, Hotdogs, Corndogs, Pasta and Pizza then this is the place for you. But in case if you are looking for some authentic mexican food then this is most definitely NOT it.....
Most of the days we went out to have our meals, Cabo del sol ( the golf course next door) is better food and is cheaper.
The other issue is that there are a lot of people feeding the sparrows and also the staff does not clean off the plates quickly. This attracts a lot of flies and birds near the poolside/restaurants. This is an absolute nuisance. The management needs to do something about this asap.
The rooms and common areas are in a dire need of updating. We noticed chipped/peeling paint, worn out amenities to rusted iron fittings and fixtures, worn out table linen and napkins at fine dining restaurants like Pitahayas and El Cortez.
This was our first time at the Sheraton Hacienda Del Mar and maybe our last.
I simply do not understand how this can be a 5 star luxury resort with so many mess-ups.
I would only recommend staying here if the price is right (less than $200/night) any more than that and I suggest looking at other hotels which are worth the extra $'s.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back side, they are newer.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your time and comments on your recent stay at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar. I will make sure to congratulate Rogelio and that he gets recognition for the good job done. I am glad that you have enjoyed the pool areas and particularly Delfines.

In regards to the quality of the food and conditions of other areas I am sharing your words with our new hired Executive Chef as well as our Chief Engineer. I am positive that your comments will inspire us all to do a better job.

Once again thank you very much for your comments and we hope to have an opportunity to host you again in the future, so you can give us a second chance to review improvements on your last experience. Please contact me at renato.mendonca@sheraton.com if you decide to return.

Best regards,

Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I wanted to mention the service poolside at La Sirenas, and specifically Antonio and Alberto. We received attention when needed, but not so often that we felt pestered. Antonio is awesome, and made sure we recevied our meals with extra water and napkins. He is friendly, and courteous, and most of all, sincere. We enjoyed chatting with him when there were not many guests around to keep him busy. We plan on returning to Cabo in the future, and the Sheraton will be top of mind when deciding where to stay. Thanks for a wonderful first trip to Los Cabos!

Dear Guest,

I am very happy to read your comments; thank you very much for taking the time and letting us know. I will talk to the Antonio and Alberto and make sure they get the recognition they deserve. Please do not hesitate to let me know when you make your next reservation, it will be a pleasure to say hello – Renato.mendonca@sheraton.com

Regards,

San Ramon, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

We had the most amazing poolside service at this wonderful hotel. Specirically, Antonio Salas, our waiter, was incredibly attentive, quick, friendly and excited to do his job. He made our relaxing days at the pool so wonderful - we can't say enough about this experience! Thank you Antonio!

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. I will make sure Antonio is being recognized for his good work. Hope to see you back soon and maybe have the opportunity to great you in person and say hello.

Muchas Gracias!

Charlotte, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

The Hospitality was amazing! The rooms were very clean and roomy! The concierge Irma was Phenomenal!!!! Everyone that we encountered was so friendly and willing to help no matter what your need was! We had an amazing time! Thank You :-)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
RenatoMendoncaGM, General Manager at Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos, responded to this review, May 18, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. We are very happy to have Irma as part of our team. Hope to see you back soon in the near future.

Best regards,

Piscataway, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

I just return from my stay at the Hacienda and all I can say is WOW!. We had an ocean front room which was amazing. It had 3 sets of sliding glass doors leading to the two balconies over looking the pools and beach! The staff was wonderful and so helpful! I have to say the most impressive staff member was Guillermo "William" Ventura! He was amazing anything we needed he took care of it. He made suggestions of things to do, took care of reservations to local resturants that I wanted. If I needed to talk to him while I was there I could ask anyone and two minutes later he was there to help. The Spa was perfect, relaxing, quiet, clean and the staff was great! We had facial and massages which were exquisite and I have traveled all over the world. My friend even lost her wallet in a taxi that we took fromt he hotel to town and the hotel staff was able to have it returned within minutes. The hotel staff was Awesome anything you needed they were more than happy to assist! The only thing I didnt like was when we first arrived they wanted you to sign up for a timeshare breakfast to sell, which we argree to do then I decided I didnt want to so I was able to cancel (with a little pressure). The timeshare offers you all these discounts to go but really who wants to spend 90 minutes of vacation listening to a salesman. I am planning to go to Cabo yearly and I would go back to the Shearton in heartbeat!!!! Also we eat at DeCortz for dinner one night it was excellent and so relaxing. They also offer a shuttle to town but we took a taxi each time because it was faster and it was only $20 one way.

Room Tip: Room 2011 is the best!! Ocean front is a must
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
RenatoMendoncaGM, General Manager at Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. Guillermo is in did a valued member of our team, we are very proud to have him on board.

I am glad you also enjoyed our fine dining “De Cortez” as well as the Spa.

Hope to see you back soon and maybe have the opportunity to say hello.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

I would like to thank the entire staff at the Sheraton Hacienda del Mar for such great service during our visit in May 2011. It is truly a world class hotel. The accommodations
were top notch. A special thanks goes out to GM Renato Mendonca for all the nice
things he did for us. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. This was our second stay
and it was just as nice as the first. Previous to that we were at the One and Only Palmilla
so we DO have a basis to compare!

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments, we feel much honored.

Hope to see you back soon.

Renato Mendonca

Been to Sheraton Hacienda del Mar Golf & Spa Resort Los Cabos? Share your experiences!