“Great resort for peaceful get-away” 5 of 5 stars

45-50% Off All-Inclusive
Ranked #13 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York, NY
“Great resort for peaceful get-away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

Just to quickly qualify my wife and I...we are both in our mid-thirties and have traveled extensively world-wide. We appreciate luxury (particularly fine food), especially when it comes at a good value. We both thought Pueblo Bonito Pacifica was just fantastic. Were there a couple of things I could gripe about? Sure...but I have yet to travel ANYWHERE where that is not the case. Things happen and people are human. I will say the one or two MINOR things that did occur...the staff at Pacifica made right quickly and without resistance or attitude (for instance, I used their iron on a pair of shorts and it burned them...so I notified housekeeping, they tried to get the burn out, and when they couldn't they gladly issued me a $40 credit on our bill...not a big deal...problem solved). ALL of the staff are genuinely pleasant and go out of their way to make sure you are happy and comfortable. I could give you example after example of how they did little things to make our stay better...really going the extra mile...but suffice it to say, the service was excellent. To the previous reviewer...we also do not like staff coming in our room...so we put the "DO NOT DISTURB" hanging bag on our door every time we left and not only did they NOT come in, but they put a note on the door EACH DAY that they were not able to come in our room b/c of the sign and if we needed anything to call housekeeping...so they did NOT just come in whenever they wanted...they respected our wishes. And either way, an intelligent traveler will ALWAYS use the in-room safe for valuables anyway. But back to the resort...the food was generally very good (well prepared, fresh, and original menus). The only meal we had that was NOT good (at all) was at the Bistro at Sunset Beach. Definitely swing clear of that one (it was probably the only real disappointment of our trip)...but La Nao was very good (also located at Sunset Beach...which they provide a free 5 minute shuttle to). We didn't get to eat at the high-end Frida restaurant but everyone raved about it...so I'm sure it's outstanding. We live in NYC and found the prices to be comparable...which to most people will seem a but steep but luckily (?) for us was the norm...but you can expect to pay $120ish for apps, entrees and desert for two WITHOUT drinks. Not much else to add besides the resort is spotless, well maintained, and has a very tangible spa/wellness theme to it...which was the purpose. Different parts of the resort have different smells...which is a very original touch. We purchased some of the sprays they use to create that feel in our home...very cool. Also, not allowing children at Pacifica makes the place's over-all ambiance much calmer and more mature feeling (no offense kids). This resort definitely attracts a more mature, adult clientele...so you're not going to have college spring-breakers getting trashed and rowdy by the pool.

Just a couple of side-notes....when you get off the plane and come out of baggage claim you will be swamped with people trying to get you to come and hear their time-share spiel. I recommend you DO stop and listen to what they are offering and get it all in writing (and don't be afraid to give them a $20 or even $50 "deposit") as you will NOT be going to their presentation but can use this to leverage a BETTER deal from Pueblo Bonito when you get there. Right after you check in at PBP, one of their reps will ask if anyone approached you at the airport and what did they offer and did you pay anything etc. Just give them the slip with everything and they will MATCH and then BETTER their offer (including giving you back whatever you paid them in cash). We got a $200 food credit for ALL the Pueblo Bonito properties, a $200 spa credit (provided we pay $50...so a net $150 credit), a snorkeling trip (worth $100) and our $20 cash back....all for listening to their 3 hour presentation (which they will tell you is only 90 min...but just know it's 3 hours going in...but they do give you a nice breakfast...which would be worth another $30-40). We thought it was totally worth it (and to be fair, was tempting...but just not the right time for us). It's a bit of a hard-sell but just know that going in and be firm and don't do anything impulsive and you will be out of there with a LOT of free credits to play with on your vacation.

And lastly, we were there for our one year anniversary and decided to do dinner on the beach with the beds...TOTALLY worth it. I think it was like $210 for a fantastic dinner on the beach and then getting to spend the ENTIRE NIGHT (like...until 8am) on one of their huge canopy beds that sits on the beach...very romantic and very memorable. Beds have curtains so you can have total privacy once you go to bed and they provide blankets and pillows. Highly recommended.

I could write so much more, but you get the point. Pueblo Bonito Pacifica exceeded our expectations and they deserve all the accolades they get here on Trip Advisor. I would put this resort up against pretty much any other high-end resort in terms of luxury and service...but it runs away with it when it comes to value. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
Midwest, USA
1,796 helpful votes 1,796 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

We stayed at the Pacifica for 6 nights, after 5 nights at a resort east of Cabo San Lucas. Pacifica is a beautiful boutique-type resort hotel, and we had a great time here. For the price (we booked far in advance at a special rate of $150 per night), it was a good value. There were just a few annoying drawbacks that kept our experience from being perfectly relaxing. Pictures are at http://travel.webshots.com/album/578426935JtVKQs , including a shot of the activity schedule which you might find helpful in planning.

The service at Pacifica was always great. From the moment we arrived, we were greeted by friendly, helpful staff members. The concierge was happy to make all our excursion, golf, and dinner reservations. The drawback here: we arrived at 1:00 and were told that check-in wasn’t until 4:00, although we could check back earlier to see if our room was available. Yet, the resort was less than a third full during our stay! Why the wait for a room? I suspect it was to encourage us to kill time talking to the timeshare lady. We were going to do this anyway, since I read that if you don’t, they keep calling your room. We sat down with her, got tickets for two free drinks, and refused all her offers. The offers kept getting better the more we refused. She was polite but persistent. We had decided in advance not to spend our precious vacation time on timeshare presentations, and frankly it was annoying to find this type of pressure at a resort as lovely and elegant as Pacifica, which presents itself as a relaxing, therapeutic spa.

Our room was charmingly decorated, though small (no room for a loveseat). Be careful not to step barefooted on the pebbles in the floor around the bed—ouch! The only toiletries were soap, lotion, and a small bottle of shampoo. Come on, Pacifica… even Motel 6 gives you a shower cap! Housekeeping service was excellent. We were lucky to have a large, shaded balcony. We noticed that some of the balconies were half the size of ours, with less private Plexiglass sides rather than wood beams; and those on the east wing got blazing afternoon sun. So, if the balcony is important to you, check it out before you unpack. The view (lovely grounds, pool, beach, and ocean) was the best we’ve ever had from a hotel room, and I think every room has an equally superlative view.

There is a minibar in the room, and the prices are high. No surprise, that’s standard hotel practice. The drawback is their officious attempts to ban any outside food or drink. I smuggled in all kinds of stuff in our luggage. We enjoyed our own snack mix on the balcony, washed down with our own rum and our own Diet Cokes (US $3.50 per can, plus 15% tax, at the Pacifica’s rates). You can also take your own coffee filter packs ($3.50 for the Pacifica’s) and use the room coffee machine for free, as long as you clean up after yourself. If they didn’t make such a big deal about forbidding outside provisions, I probably wouldn’t have bothered to bring so much, but they made it a challenge.

The single best tip I can give you: take some Crystal Light or other drink mix. It’s important to stay hydrated in the dry hot climate, but the Pacifica charges 950 pesos plus 15% tax for the bottles of Fiji water in the room, which is ridiculous. The ice and tap water are free and safe to use, but the tap water tastes bad. We disguised the taste with Crystal Light and had all the free beverages we wanted.

The resort grounds are absolutely stunning. No drawbacks there! The landscaping, which features lots of cacti and flowers, is creative and elegant. The surf is too strong even to walk in the ocean safely, but that just makes the ocean more beautiful. The beach is long, wide, soft, white, and perfectly clean. We were able to walk about two miles to the northwest before being stopped by a rock outcropping.

The pool concierge and activities staff were friendly and helpful. There is a copy of the activities schedule in my album at http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2625762400053482779OyfLJB , but we didn’t do many activities because Pacifica is so great for just relaxing. One activity I did enjoy was the Mexican wine class at 5:00 on Wednesday. Manuel made it very entertaining and informative, and we got a free glass or two of wine. The activities hut contains a free book/magazine exchange, which comes in handy if you run out of reading material and are appalled at the prices in the hotel convenience shop.

Pacifica’s gym is very good. They charge $10 per day to work out, which is maybe a little out of line for Mexico, but I didn’t mind because the gym was good. It was kept nice and cold, and featured a full suite of top-of-the-line Precor cardio and weight machines, plus a good selection of free weights. They had some weight stations you rarely find in hotel gyms, such as a donkey calf machine, and hip adductor/abductor stations. All the cardio equipment had attached TVs. There were rarely more than a couple of other guests in the gym. Given the choice between working out for free in the hot, crowded, noisy gym at the other resort we stayed at, or paying $10 for the Pacifica’s gym, I would (and did!) gladly pay for the Pacifica. The drawback: there were only three treadmills. One was permanently out of service. One appeared to work, but reset to zero any time the user tried to change a setting. The only working treadmill had a whiny belt, and the speed read 3.2 mph when I know from experience I was doing at least 4.0. (No, it wasn’t reading kilometers per hour; that would make even less sense.) If they are going to charge for the gym, they ought to have several working treadmills. Oddly for a spa hotel, there was no scale in either the room or the gym. Otherwise, though, the gym was excellent.

The food was good. We ate at the Pacifica’s Siempre restaurant four times for breakfast, and once for dinner. Breakfasts averaged $174 pesos per person, which I consider a good value for what we got. Service was outstanding, and the portions were generous. (We typically just had a protein bar for lunch, in order to be hungry enough by evening to enjoy our dinners. Sometimes we also got a piece of fruit from the convenience store / coffee shop.) The “healthy” egg-white omelet was disappointing, since the vegetable filling consisted of tasteless, crunchy cubes of squash. The Pacifica omelet and the pancakes were average. The Mediterranean omelet, banana French toast, and fresh fruit dishes were all terrific.

The breads… OMG!!! However much Pacifica pays their bread chef, they need to triple it! If you get an egg dish, they ask if you want toast. (It’s included in the price, but they ask anyway.) Make sure you say yes, and pick the multi-grain with raisins and nuts. Heavenly! At dinner, we were offered a basket of different breads, and at first we abstemiously took one small roll each. The second time the waiter appeared with the basket, we cleaned him out! I can’t believe how much we enjoyed those breads.

Our Siempre dinner was expensive for Mexico at 1,449 pesos plus tip, but good. Mr. CR had the 5-course tasting menu, featuring foie gras, oyster soup, baby snapper with creamy seafood paella, short ribs with ribeye, and a trio of small desserts. I had a Caesar salad with chicken, and seared tuna. Everything was delicious. Service was leisurely and excellent.

We also went into town for dinner a few times. The taxi fare is US $12 each way, and the trip takes a little more than 10 minutes. There are plenty of places to eat in Cabo San Lucas, but to be honest, we weren’t enchanted by Cabo. It’s highly commercialized, not very pretty, and the sales people were more aggressive than anywhere else we’ve been. (Yes, worse than the St. Lucia craft market, Cancun, Tunisia, or Dunn’s River Falls!) If the merchants let me browse, I might buy something, but these guys were constantly shoving things I didn’t want under my nose, so I couldn’t really see what else they had. We couldn’t walk 10 steps in Cabo without someone accosting us (“Amigos, are you lost? Amigos, which boat are you waiting for?”) We just got really tired of having people calling out to us all the time.

Fortunately, we discovered a fabulous dinner alternative. The Pacifica’s adjacent sister resort, Sunset Beach, has a restaurant which specializes in buffets, La Nao. I realize that not everyone likes buffets, but we do, and we loved this place! We first went on Wednesday night, having heard that the Wednesday Italian buffet (480 pesos pp with beverages) was good. It surely was! There was a wide variety of meat dishes, including lamb chops and a savory chicken in vodka sauce. They also had a huge dessert spread, including great cannoli and biscotti.

We loved La Nao’s Wednesday Italian buffet so much, we went back on Friday for the Asian buffet (415 pesos pp), and Sunday morning for the champagne brunch (510 pesos pp). We liked the Italian buffet best, but the others were also great. The Asian buffet featured lots of sushi and sashimi, made-to-order stirfry, and many desserts. The champagne brunch included all you could drink of Ivan Lescompte Mexican champagne (surprisingly decent!), plus a huge spread of food. The other La Nao theme nights were: Monday-Mexican, Tuesday – Brazilian meats with appetizer and dessert buffets, Thursday – seafood entrees with appetizer buffet, raw bar, and dessert buffet. If we go back to Cabo, we would gladly eat at La Nao any night.

We had breakfast at La Nao once, too, and it was a good but standard breakfast buffet for 210 pesos. The shuttle to La Nao starts at 9:15 AM and runs every 30 minutes throughout the day, with returns at 0:20 and 0:50 past the hour. On our last morning, we needed to get to La Nao as soon as they started serving the champagne brunch (9:00) in order to make our flight. When the bell staff heard we were planning to take a cab, they arranged a special early shuttle just for us! That’s how good the service was at Pacifica.

A nice thing about visiting the buzzing beehive of Sunset Beach, is that it makes you appreciate the restful tranquility of Pacifica. Other guests we talked with were struck by the same distinction. Pacifica really is a special, beautiful, relaxing place. If they eliminated the timeshare pitch, the nickel-and-diming, and fixed the treadmills in the gym, Pacifica would be just about perfect. Enjoy the lovely grounds and great service, and try to overlook the petty drawbacks. We did, and we had a great time!

Missoula, Montana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

Overall the site is lovely, No children allowed is great. The restaurants and spas are horribly overpriced, and marginal at best. We expressly informed them we did not want maid service and just returned from dinner in town to find our room tossed by whomever has a key to our room. I had all cash and cards with us, so we did not lose anything, as near as I can tell. My spouse brought up a good point that they start monitoring your moves every time you get on a shuttle, so they know when you are returning. I will never spend another night in a Pueblo Bonito property.

Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Palos Verdes Estates, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

Pueblo Bonito Pacifica was great! The spa was a wonderful experience, especially if you wanted to get couples massages. Our room was spacious, a bang for your buck and even came with a private butler. Martin was the best... I'd have to compare him to the butler in the movie Mr. Deeds. If your looking for a place to slip away and relax, then this is your place.

Manhattan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Pueblo Bonito with friends for a week in February 2009. We had a fabulous time. The accommodations were amazing and the staff was generally very helpful. We sat in on the time share presentation and although the salesman did become somewhat pushy towards the end, we walked away and collected our $400 voucher and enjoyed the rest of the week without any hassles.

While we couldn't swim in the ocean, we didn't expect to given the current and waves typically experienced in this area of the peninsula. Instead we took the complimentary shuttle to Pueblo Bonito Blanco and enjoyed their white sand beaches.

All in all, we had a terrific experience and hope to return soem time soon.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

We decided to splurge and get an incredibly expensive couples massage under a beach hut. When adding tax, and the mandatory added gratuity, and the spa service charge, we spent nearly $400.00 on this. HUGE MISTAKE!

The massage therapist didn't know how to drape. She ended up letting the sheet fly ALL the way up, and I flashed a lot of people. This was of course, after the therapist insisted I remove ALL of my undergarments. So, I flashed everyone in the pool and restaurant area, and paid $400 for it. Because it was a couples massage, there were two therapists there. They laughed about it. She didn't apologize, and I was mortified. When I went back inside, I explained what happened to the Spa lady, she didn't understand, and I was referred to the guy at the front desk. I explained again, he understood, and laughed. He then said, "Well, have a good night". Already having been laughed at multiple times, I was really embarrassed and angry. I thought about complaining to someone else for a third time, but it just didn't seem worth it. I didn't want to be embarrassed yet again. My advise- DEFINENTLY don't pay the extra $50 for the outside beach hut massage, and know that it's just a typical massage (wish I would have got one at a fancy place at home instead). And DON'T expect to feel pampered at this Spa Resort- if you have a complain they really don't care (even though they asked). I think they're used to asking, but aren't used to anyone saying anything. Beautiful spa and resort otherwise though. Their restaurant- Restaurante Siempre- was the very best food we had the entire trip. Very pricey, but certainly top notch incredible food (that you will remember eating!). Eat in a few nights so you can afford to splurge here!

Valencia, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

This is my second review of Pacifica, we love it here, but I was concerned they couldn’t possibly live up to our first awesome experience last year/same time. Not so, it was incredible. It’s still quiet and un-crowded, and most important, the same staff is there! We recognized so many people, which made it feel like coming home.

The rooms are always comfortable and uncluttered. Housekeeping is what makes it extra special, leaving us personal messages with seeds, creating towel displays, and fixing our belongings just so.

Our suite came with a “Butler,” Martin. (Stuffy title for a super cool guy who helped to make our trip literally perfect). He unpacked our bags (over the top, but who cares, we're on vacation). He would appear at the pool, in the gift shop, around the grounds, just to make sure we had what we needed. He gave us very specific restaurant recommendations (we wanted local – what staff eats, not touristy or fancy), and while he was nervous to send us “too local” he did, and that made our trip.

I had four spa appointments and we used a personal trainer, yoga classes, and the gym daily. The Watsu massage outdoors was otherworldly. It was an incredible experience, made more memorable by being beachside with the waves crashing in the distance.

**Maybe now is the time to address the costs. For those of you who think it’s too expensive, too bad for you. Look up the prices online for food, spa, gym, (it’s no secret) and make peace with that. We saved up, and had the time of our lives! Same sentiment goes for time-share offers, a simple “No thank you” goes a long way. We treat the staff at Pacifica like extended family and are treated with care and respect in return.**

Back to my review…Martin arranged for a Kayaking & snorkeling afternoon at Chileno Bay, which I highly recommend. It’s a good workout, so the gym-time and massages paid off ;) We also opted for taxi’s ($12us each way), which gave us more flexibility than waiting for the free buses, but that's a good deal that worked for us last year.

Lastly, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that Martin arranged for two gorgeous bouquets of flowers, a perfect table at Siempre, the pastry chef creating an off-menu dessert we requested, and candles and rose-petals decorating our suite for when we returned from our anniversary dinner, which turned out to be our engagement dinner. My finance proposed, and without Martin making things happen in the background, what would have been great, turned into something crazy-amazing!

See you next year Pacifica, if not sooner!

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!