“Simply Awesome.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Ft. Worth, Texas
“Simply Awesome.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

After much research and reading reviews (thank you everyone!), my husband and I stayed at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Holistic Spa in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico from 3/27-4/1/08. We loved it. It was simply fantastic and the calm atmosphere was worth every penny. We actually got a GREAT deal booking through Expedia, and it ended up being less than $200 a night. We also booked ground transportation from the airport to the resort. Well worth it after all of the horror stories I heard about cabbies in Cabo! Warning: it does take about 60-75 min to get from the airport to the resort, as Pacifica is at the end of the penninsula. No children are allowed at the resort, and we didn't appreciate the full impact of that until we took a shuttle to the Pueblo Bonito Rose in town......and listened to kids screaming. Wow. Pacifica is a sanctuary. It really is.

Before arriving, I did take another reviewers advice, and requested a 3rd or 4th floor room by emailing Sr. Ayala at Pacifica. Upon checkin, they did have a 3rd floor room for us, and it was ready at noon, when normal checkin is at 4pm. So that was superb!! However, after checkin, they send you over to 2 ladies at a table to "schedule your invitation" to see the time shares up the hill at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. They use the 'enticement' of 2 free drinks for 90 min of your time!!! Wow what a deal (sarcasm). So my husband and I blew past them to our room and didn't acknowledge their existence. However, 2 days into our trip, we had been noticing all the construction in Cabo and had general questions about ownership in Mexico, the economic boom, etc. So we were at Sunset Beach having lunch and waiting to catch the shuttle back to Pacifica, when we struck up a conversation with our waiter. He said if we did the 'timeshare' thing for 90 min, we'd get those questions answered, and we'd get $200 food credit, $100 spa credit for Pacifica, a free whale watching trip, and 40% off all other rental activities! Um, yeah, that's a bit better than "2 free drinks"!! So we signed up, and the next day had a free breakfast at Sunset Beach with a "Fractional Ownership Agent". He was from Santa Monica CA and explained all about the boom in Cabo, and how Americans can "own" property in Mexico, and showed us the multimillion dollar timeshares there on the property. We didn't buy anything of course, but the information was great. AND, yes, the $200 food credit, and $100 spa credit worked out just fine, and we took a boat ride around the Arcos for $6 with our 40% discount! So, that's our experience with the timeshare thing.

Now about the shuttles: at Pacifica, you have to go to the conceirge to reserve a shuttle from the Sunset Beach to Rose. Then take a little van shuttle to Sunset Beach. At Sunset Beach, you get on a big charter bus that takes you to Rose in town. The Rose is about 4 blocks from the marina and a mall called Puerto Parasio. Very nice. Another reviewer recommended La Europea in Parasio for lunch, drinks, wine, etc, and they are right on. Good prices and great selection. We ate at many restaurants around the marina, and all were great. You can walk to Cabo Wabo too, and there's a grocery store across the street from the Hard Rock if you want to stock up on waters or snacks. Then you go back to the Rose, visit the conceirge to make a reservation back to Sunset Beach. You get on the bus again. Then at Sunset Beach, you take a van to Pacifica. So, it is very time consuming. You have to watch your time and plan accordingly. But I would NOT recommend taxis (unless the hotel arranges it and radios ahead to your destination to make sure you arrive!), so this is a good alternative.

Now Pacifica........ahhhh, Pacifica. Everything is about 4 times the price (that's why you stock up in town on supplies!), but the food is wonderful!!! (Amazing fish tacos). And the service is fabulous. Every waiter called us by our names. The grounds are gorgeous, the room was perfect, our balcony had a view to die for, the weather was 85 and sunny each day, etc. Another reviewer commented on missing tiles from the pools, and I agree. Be careful not to cut your foot! They've tried to stick them back on with this weird blue grout stuff, and apparently it doesn't work too well. Other than that, seriously, everything was perfection. Everyone is doing the best job they can do at all times. The activities director is a doll, the yoga instructor is very knowledgable and patient (do yoga by the ocean! awesome!), the spa is perfect. One word of warning: slather on at least a 30 SPF multiple times a day! My husband and I never burned and still walked away with an amazing tan after 5 days!

You will never want to leave Pacifica......

Stayed March 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Pacifica in September and it was absolutely perfect! The property is beautiful, quiet and extremely well kept. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. We spent our days relaxing by the two beautiful pools, enjoying the fabulous tempura fish and shrimp tacos served poolside and taking walks along the beach. The Kobe beef burger at the poolside restaurant was amazing and I am not a big burger fan! The concierge was very helpful with planning activities and making all the arrangements. Getting to town was very simple and inexpensive; we found ourselves at Cabo Wabo many nights! The frequent shuttle up to the Sunset property was convenient for buying water and snacks at the little grocery store (cheaper than at Pacifica). The shuttle to the Rose was great for water activities. The spa services were excellent and the room was very clean and comfortable. One of the best vacations we have ever had - we would highly recommend this place!

• Liked — Everyting
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2008

We just got back from six days the Pacifica and had an amazing time. Having read all the reviews, we were a little hesistant, but I think most of them were right on. The resort is first class and actually one of the nicer ones in Los Cabos. It was actually included in the Conde Nast Top Resorts for Cabo. Everything is great from the moment you see the resort to when you get to your room. The entrance is all you would expect and more. The rooms are also great except for the bed, which was a little too firm for our liking. Also, there were mosquitoes if you left your screen door open, which we made the mistake of doing. The pool is very nice and even better without all the screaming kids which happened at other resorts there. You can't swim in the ocean because of the undertow, but the views were breathtaking. What other resort can you go to and see miles of beach all to yourself? The food and service were exceptional. A little pricey, but so is all of Cabo. Siempre and also La Frida, which was at the Sunset were great. I think this is one of the best hidden resorts out there and it is only a 10 minute shuttle ride from downtown. My girlfriend and I both have stressful jobs and this is just what we needed. We also got massages and facials, although the beach hut is not that great of an effect for the massage.

• Liked — Pool and service
  • Disliked — Beds
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Portland, OR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2008

When you finally arrive to the Bonita Pacifica from the airport your sense of smell takes over and you are relaxed by the scent of rosemary. The aroma therapy and soft music is such a difference to the typical Mexico reception. Let me explain:
There is airport transportation from the hotel for about 18.00 per person one way. The transportation is timely but make sure you do not get stopped by all of the time share salesmen in the airport. Just keep walking through the exit doors and to the right you will find your transport. Remember that there are FOUR Pueblo Bonita properties and make sure you are giving the driver the proper information. The driver will try to fill the vehicle for the fewest stops, but if there is one couple from each of the bonita's - beware the Pacifica is the last stop.
Once at the hotel the smell and sounds are therapy. The hotel is classified as a Holistic resort and the lobby is filled with water features and lovely rosemary smells.
NO KIDS is a beautiful thing! It is absolutely QUIET. No kids running up and down the stairs. No one jumping and screaming in the pool just wonderful quiet.
The rooms all face the interior courtyard and the ocean; however, you will need a room on the third floor or higher to be able to enjoy an ocean view. Also there are various types of balconies. Some are larger than others and if you have the opportunity to choose a room check the balcony before you do so.
The Pacifica has the best bathroom I have seen in Mexico (I have traveled extensively through Mexico). Clean, sleek and loaded with towels that are actually large enough to go around your body twice.
Service poolside was exceptional. Friendly and helpful - we enjoyed many beers, mojito's and fish taco's while lying right on our lounger, I even had a 10.00 ice cream cup.
Service in the main restaurant "Sempre" was hard to rate. We had breakfast one morning and asked three times for water and other items to no avail. However, we also ate dinner at Sempre and the servers were almost overwhelming. We ordered a bottle of Viognier and the server tried to upsell us to a Pinot Noir from Argentina (of all places - we are from Oregon). He stated that the Pinot was very similar to the Viognier. We were just a bit put off that there was upselling during our dinner. The food was good but not great. We ate at Nicksan Sushi in town one night and were very disappointed so take all the hype with a grain of salt.
Prices for food and drink at Pacifica are a bit over the top. We had a hard time paying 12.00 for a glass of wine that we know sells for 5.00 a bottle at home- call us cheap.
Overall, the Pacifica is well worth the exclusiveness and childlessness, but be ready to shell out bucks for a beer and ice cream.

• 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
houston
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

I have just returned from five days at the Pacifica Holistic Retreat & Spa and I wanted to share some thoughts about the experience. The resort is beautiful, very manicured and attractive to the eye. The suites are comfortable but unfortunately one comes away with the feeling that the guests are being squeezed for every dime / peso that they have. Although your room rates are reasonable they have chosen to charge excessively for every service that they offer. For example: There are no umbrellas on the beach yet they offer beautiful four poster beds with shade at a charge of $85 per day alternatively you can spend the day around a very crowded swimming pool. Seeing that one goes to Mexico for the beach and ocean it was shocking to have no refuge from the sun. Breakfast is not included. There is a charge for coffee that you make yourself in the room - $3 for the coffee and $9 for the water that you need to pour into the coffee maker to make the coffee. Incidentally, the coffee maker is located in the bar area with no socket to plug it in so you have to pick up the coffee maker, carry it into the bathroom or alternatively unplug a light fixture, put the coffee maker on the floor, fill it with the $9 water……… Not really five star accommodation / service. The Business Center charges for internet plus copies, every copy is charged per sheet. When I asked the Concierge to confirm our transfers the phone call was charged to my room. To use the work out room there is a $10 charge per day. I have never stayed in a resort that charges their guests to use their facilities. You They are making a fortune on their guests. I think the impression that the guests leave with is terrible.

We had a couple of other bad experiences – A massage appointment that was made and confirmed was not available to my friend when she checked in for it. The attendant in the spa offered her a free 20 minute massage providing she did not complain. Amazing! Housekeeping threw away my friends contact case (prescription eye ware holder). The room service waiter broke a glass off the tray as he was trying to leave the room. Unfortunately the door was faulty causing him to have problem as he was leaving. After housekeeping left there was still glass on the floor. The bathrooms in the pool area did not smell good on Easter Sunday and the toilet paper ran out obviously due to short staff on a holiday.

This resort needs work however, the staff have a friendly attitude and all rooms and suites have a beautiful ocean view.

Stayed March 2008
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

My husband and I stayed in the Pacifica for 4 nights in mid-March. The hotel is beautiful. In fact, I don't think their on-line photos do it justice.

It has, by far, the least populated beach in all of Cabo, and while the pounding surf doesn't allow you to swim in the ocean, if you feel refreshed by the sights and sounds of the waves, you'll love this place.

We had a fifth floor ocean view suite, and we were regularly treated to the sight of whales about 30 feet off shore as we were enjoying our morning coffee on the balcony. In hindsight, the extra money we paid for the suite was a waste, as all rooms seem to have nice balconies and ocean views, and we didn't spend a lot of time in our room.

The pool is great, and very quiet. You can choose to talk to your neighbors poolside, or you can snooze away the afternoon, waking up for drinks or a quick dip in the pool.

It was relaxing, relaxing, relaxing. While I don't think it has much nightlife, it was exactly what we were looking for.

The annoyances....the timeshare spiel is really over the top. YOu are promised that it will be a 90 minute presentation, but we were there for the better part of 3 hours. Gidon, our salesperson, took exception to us telling him that we would never purchase anything without independently verifying the information he had provided. That ended the sales pitch quite abruptly.

My second big annoyance was the $10/per person per visit charge for the fitness room. For an expensive 4.5 star resort, they do seem to nickle and dime you.

• Liked — It was beautiful and very relaxing.
  • Disliked — The timeshare pitch.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

If I were rating this on just the hotel and restaurant experience I would give them 5 stars, but since they bill themselves as a holistic retreat & spa, I have to rate them down based on my poor experience with the spa.

I had booked a massage on the beach way back in January when I booked at the hotel. I confirmed the day before the treatment, and showed up half hour early as they had requested. The massage therapist was 15 minutes late, and assured me it would only be 5 more minutes. She then showed me outside, past the massage huts (which were all in use) to the yoga hut. One side of the hut was open to the public beach, the jacuzzi area, and the firepits. On the other side, which faced the pool area, she and one of the other spa attendants were trying to get the curtains to stay closed, and it wasn't working. She then invited me to disrobe and get on the table without making any attempt to do any draping for privacy (yes, there were lots of people milling about). It was pretty clear they had overbooked on the beach huts, so why not just say so? Instead they explained that the beach massages were meant to be out in the open so I could enjoy a view of the beach while I had the massage. Not sure about anyone else, but the only view I typically get during a massage is the inside of my eyelids or the floor, depending on which way I'm facing on the table. Maybe it was just a language barrier, I don't know. We ended up going inside for the massage, and they were kind enough to remove the $25 beach hut fee from my bill, but I had to ask first. The spa was clean and cozy, but a bit noisy.

The resort itself is very beautiful (the pictures don't really do it justice), and I had no service issues as I found everyone helpful and accommodating. As a solo traveller, I never felt unsafe on the grounds or in my room, there were always employees around. Housekeeping did a great job - it smelled clean, and even the floors on my balcony were washed daily.

I was booked into a suite, and would highly recommend it based on other comments about the size of the regular rooms. I was trying to imagine what it would have been like if I'd had just the bed and bath, and I think it would have been a bit claustrophobic. The balconies were large, with two lounge chairs in addition to the table and two chairs that the other rooms had. I think they were wider, too. I was on the east side of the building, and could find both sunshine and shade on the balcony anytime of day. This was perfect for me, since I really just wanted to listen to the ocean while I caught up on some reading, and not get too sunburned. The pool area seemed noisy by comparison, and you couldn't see the ocean or hear it over the music.

The food at Aire was excellent, as were the margaritas. I had room service a couple of times, both times the food came up quickly, at the correct end of the temperature scale, and tasted really, really good. Dinner from Siempre one evening was excellent.

The evening before I checked out they put a list of additional charges on my doorknob, so when I got to the front desk, unlike the previous reviewer I knew what the final charges would be.

Overall PBC provided the quiet break that I was after, but I wish the spa had been better.

• Liked — Very clean, beautiful grounds, view, staff
  • Disliked — Spa
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!