“Great vacation” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Great vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We chose Pacifica because of the No Kids and the positive reviews. When we booked our trip Pacifica was in the top 10 of hotels in Cabo and #17 when we arrived. All in all and we would absolutely return again.

Pro's
*the choice for alcohol was superior to almost all other All-Inclusives
*the size is perfect, if you need to go back to your room it's not 'miles' away
*most of the staff was attentive (see below for con)-Antonio at the bar was awesome!
*food was good-Siempre was great, slow but great-Breakfast was good never had to wait, favorite lunch steak taco's-skip the salads!
*Beds on the beach-best $30 we spent-be sure to reserve them when you get there-request the non-swing bed.
*sister resorts are worth a visit for a change of scenery. Sunset for the Sky Pool and Rose for the Ocean swimming
*****sunset was spectacular EVERY night

Con's
*no Jameson
*lots of moths *big boys, kind of pretty kind of nasty
*can't swim in the ocean
*room service didn't show up one night
*check in was slow

Don't forget your own sunscreen and sunglasses. The gift shop definitely had what we needed but is was a pretty penny ;-)

Room Tip: above 3rd floor!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went to Cabo for the first time expecting a relaxing and smooth getaway from the rat race. Let me just start off by saying that first impressions are key for any service industry and Pueblo Bonito resorts needs to work on theirs.

Upon arriving to the resort after a 45 min shuttle ride, we arrive to this beautiful entrance with palm trees, views of the ocean, you get the idea. Unfortunately, as soon as we step out of the shuttle, Martin greets us with "hello, my name is Martin, I will have to ask you to get back in your shuttle and drop you off sunset beach(sister resort) because we have a plumbing problem." Upon getting further frustrated on why this was not conveyed to us beforehand and that this was unacceptable, besides trying to calm me down, angers me further by stating he is the manager and that there is no way we were staying at Pacifica and "maybe in 2 days" we will. I ask to speak to someone else and Martin says there is "no point, I am the manager." We proceed to the front desk and finally speak to Jaime, who also explained at detail about the plumbing problem, with a smile, and said he will personally escort us to their sister resort with a premium suite upgrade at Sunset beach. Upper Management, if you read this, train your staff(especially Martin) to stay positive, smile, and provide above and beyond service when problems arise as Jaime portrayed in our situation. After a day and a half of wondering if we will ever get to stay at our all inclusive resort, Jaime finally made accommodations to upgrade us and checked us into our room.

After a whirlwind of issues, the upgraded room was very nice. Pacifica has beautiful grounds and it seems every room faces the ocean. I have to mention a few little things that bothered me: Complimentary wifi in every room but it barely worked until I was by the pool. Coffee maker but no cups. Shower leaked water outside of the glass door. Again, organization of staff can alleviate these issues.

The grounds of Pacifica are amazing. With a plethora of cacti and well groomed sand areas, you get the feel of the resort. Pool area is a little cramped but we always found room to relax. There definitely needs to be more beach chairs on the sand as they become filled up very quick. Service in these areas are quick as long as you continuously tip the waiters.

We dined at Siempre and La Frida during our stay. Regulo at Siempre was amazing, very accommodating and on our 2nd time there remembered us by name. Without even asking, he also brought my wife and her friend a shawl since it was a little chilly, thank you Regulo. La Frida was a nice experience as well, although I didn't understand the $20/person cover even though we were on the all inclusive plan.

All in all we had a great last 2 nights there(we were there for 4). If it wasn't for Jaime saving the trip I wouldn't even bother with 1 star. Pueblo Bonito Pacifica: train for customer service, get organized, and you will definitely have a gem of a resort.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Upon leaving for the airport at 230am, we could not wait to leave the snow and relax in cabo. I was so happy we were going to arrive in cabo at 12 so we would have the entire day to enjoy ourselves. I was so wrong.

As our van pulls up to the front, we are quickly approached by Martin, the "manager." We were expecting a cold towel and a welcome drink, as we saw other comparable resorts give to their customers during the stops on our shuttle. But no- we were presented with a frown rather than a smile and then told "we have a plumbing problem, we have no room for you, we need to take you to sunset beach (sister property) right now, you are not allowed to go inside because there is no point to do so, we need to go NOW." He said he had no way of contacting us and only had our name, this is even after I told him I had emailed management to confirm my reservation and contact info and had been emailing concierge for weeks. If I go into detail, this post could be 5 pages long. I just want to say that Martin was a very rude inconsiderate man who ruined my first impression of the resort. And it is a shame because it is probably not his fault there was a "plumbing problem." Lets be real, I've read previous reviews and know that this is the excuse they use when they have overbooked their resort. Even other staff at the resort (both pacifica and sunset beach) kind of laughed when we said "plumbing problem" because they know this is the excuse their dishonest establishment uses. I think Martin wouldn't let us go inside the lobby b/c we would see other people checking in- which I did see when I finally went past Martin and headed inside without his permission (didn't know I needed to have permission to go inside the resort that I PAID FOR). After fighting and even shedding a tear out of pure exhaustion and frustration, Jaime at the front desk, the first decent nice man we met at the resort, helped us. He personally escorted us to sunset beach, made sure we were put in a superior suite, and told us to check with him the next day for a room at Pacifica. By the time we arrived at this huge family resort, checked in, ran away from the time share ppl, waited around for a golf cart to take us to our room, the sun had set and so had my mood. If I wanted to stay at a cheaper resort with kids running around, I would have booked accordingly. Our plans for relaxation were ruined. My big thing here is that what is the need to lie? Be honest with me- if you overbooked, just say so and tell me you will upgrade me to an amazing room at sunset and comp me a spa treatment. It's not that hard. Its called customer service, and sadly Pacifica lacks this. Sunset is a beautiful resort, but not anything close to what we wanted, and most of all, not what we paid for. Room service there was horrible- we had to wait 2 hours for a bottle of water and had no mini bar. It took a lot of explaining on our part to tell them that we were all inclusive and were not to be charged for anything. I still need to check my CC statements and make sure they didn't (just another headache, no surprise).

The next day, after another long conversation, Jaime at Pacifica finally gave us a a nice suite at the Pacifica. But again, with transporting our baggage from the huge unorganized Sunset beach and waiting around for our room to be ready, we lost half our day. (I suppose the plumbing and the "burst water pump" was magically fixed within 24 hours, wow, really?)

Pacifica was beautiful. After finally getting settled in, we had a relaxing stay with excellent service. We especially loved Siempre. Had dinner there twice and were very appreciative with the service we got from Regulo. He quickly remembered us on our 2nd night and remembered our drink orders. He was professional and sweet, and made us fall in love with the place. We also ran into Jaime a few diff times during our stay and he was always very nice to us and made sure we were comfortable. Had dinner at LaFrida at sunset as well, which was beautiful. It was $20 extra pp so we paid cash. (upon check out at Pacifica, we saw this on the bill- took another 30 mins of explanation to tell them we had already paid this at the restaurant- just another frustration). We tried out the spa and had a great deep tissue massage. Service at the pool and the beach were pretty good, slow at first, but responsive after tips, which I didn't mind giving.

I do want to mention that in our initial conversation/fight with Martin, he said he was going to give us vouchers for a free stay next time- what makes him think that I would EVER want to even think about booking another stay with Pacifica, when now I know that they won't even keep my reservation and will probably give it away to some black card holder (which I told him to his face). When I go on vacation, I want to relax. I don't want to deal with frustrations. Our first 2 days were wasted with stress and anxiety and wondering if we we will get to stay at Pacifica and wondering what type of extra charges we will see on our bill and have to fight about later. It is quite unfortunate to be honest because I really liked Pacifica at the end, it was so relaxing and serene, but I will never forget my first impression and the way I was treated when I first arrived. I want to stay with an honest establishment, not with a bunch of liars. (Never got this said voucher btw, no big surprise) See my review for Esperanza - that will be the next place I stay at for sure. They know customer service.

Room Tip: Upper floor, and an assertive attitude to make sure you actually get a room!
Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Mayra P, General Manager at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Customer,

We are glad to hear you had a nice ending and a relaxing stay at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica, however we would like to extend our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience that we may have caused to your vacations. We appreciate your feedback and will continue working on the improvement of our services and their quality, as the well preparation and training of our staff members.

We would like to have you back at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica so we can rebuild a better relationship with you and your party.

Angel Sarmiento, GM
Woodstock, Connecticut, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I'm sorry to have to write a negative review about a place that should be five star and with a little polish could be, but our room was uncomfortably loud and the bathroom sink leaked. The place is advertised as a "quiet retreat" but one afternoon a group of young boisterous twenty somethings were playing a drinking game at the ping-pong table and one of the girls was so intoxicated she collapsed and no security was present. It was embarrassing for everyone yet the hotel staff kept bringing them drinks. My wife and I decided to rent a beach bed the next day but were told they were booked up the rest of the week! We then found out that they were given to people who sat through the timeshare pitch. Trying to find a seat by the pool was a morning mission with no guarantee of success. The staff was very friendly but an all inclusive resort provides a built-in disincentive for good service which evidenced itself by watered-down drinks and long waits for food. We tipped excessibly to establish ourselves with the staff and once known, the service, food, and drinks definitely improved but it took three days to be recognized as sophisticated enough to tip for their efforts as we noted many other guests did not do so thus bringing the collective service to below-average for the resort. We would much rather stay at a resort that is non-all-inclusive, establish ourselves right off the bat as sophisticated travelers who appreciate good service and thereafter expect the same in return for our gratuity payment. Furthermore there should be hotel security present and someone present in management to stop a person from drinking too much. One of the most unpleasant and unsettling episodes occurred when my wife's friend and traveling companion was awoken by a drunk naked male pounding on her door at 4 o'clock in the morning. This is simply unacceptable.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a room on the third or fourth floor if you want an ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

We would like to thank you for your feedback and suggestions on how to improve our service, unfortunately we can't control the type of people staying at our resorts, but as you mentioned we can control they way we serve and treat our guests, like the way we've been striving to maintain the quality of our services day by day.

We apologize for any inconvenience these events may have caused, we will continue paying attention to this type of situations to avoid having them in the future.

Angel Sarmineto, GM
vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

In order not to duplicate so many of the previous reviews (as they are all pretty right on) I will highlight what I felt was important. First off , the resort is over an hour away from the airport. It is the final destination of all the resorts in cabo on the pacific side. Very peaceful, the beach is endless and beautiful. But unswimmable. Beautiful sunsets. You can walk it, but that is about the only place you can walk to. It is a steep drive down from theSunset resort (which is overly huge , so glad we didnt book there) We were under the immpression that the resorts were side by side, but they are not. If you want to walk and shop for instance you will need to take a cab $14.00 to town. We normally stay in San Jose del Cabo and this is what I missed, being able to walk not only the beaches, and view the other resorts...but the sidewalks and over to the mercado etc.The pacifica has a few vendors that set up occasionally and I did find the gal selling the ceramic ware in the brown wagon to be quite reasonable... more so than town. There is no night time entertainment except for mexican fiesta night, which is a lot of fun, the activities girls put their heart and souls into it. The staff is excellent, food the best we have ever had at an all inclusive. The breakfast buffet is not overly large, but you can order off the menu and get eggs benedict etc. We never ate at the buffet for lunch as the pool bar food (refresca) was just so good. Try the fish tacos, and all homemade guacamole and salsa. DO REMEMBER that after check in that when they send you over to the table to get your bracelet.. DO NOT sit down, just get your bracelelt on and tell them you are not interested in the tour (timeshare) We had no prob with it and were never bothered again by this. But some people did get caught up in this and it wasted an entire day. The resort is starting to show its age, as stated in previous reviews the pool tiles are in bad repair, the wifi kicks in and out in your room... best place to pick it up is at the larger pool area. I had no problem there. The rooms are adequate.. not the WOW factor you find with some resorts, this is minimalistic, like a lot of dreams resorts. Not overstated, simple with all your needs met. I would definately recommend this resort if you want that getaway from kids and noise ( we were there over Christmas) The age group varies, when we first arrived it was an older crowd, but as Christmas approached the ages got younger. You will find people from their late 20's to their 70's

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean views, if you pay for an ocean view room you will be on a higher floor, whereas...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at the Pacifica 3 times, and are currently on our 4th stay. This will be our last.

Here are the problems:

Noisy - from the endless (and loud) cheesy Muzak playing EVERYWHERE to the pool DJ playing pop music by the pool, to the spring break movie trivia games, this resort has lost it's identity. Leaf blowers at 7am? Really?

Food - it has never been good here, but it's worse than ever. Siempre, the upscale restaurant at the hotel, is appalling and at times inedible. Last night we had ribeye steak and the catch of the day sea bass. All of the meals were terrible. I would expect a better steak at Denny's (plus it would be warm).

Service - poolside food service is a mess. You invariably have to remind them several times about your order. We waited an hour and a half for lunch, and when it cane it was cold. The waiters are untrained and do not know when to approach a table or how to clear it, or how to stay in the background while you are eating. The general hotel staff are friendly and kind, but they don't know how to interact with the clients. At one point we were trying to ask where the shuttle was (it wasn't on time) and the valet was completely disinterested, and even changed the subject completely so he didn't have to discuss it.

Overall, it's very disappointing. Pacifica was a unique place for us in Cabo. Astonishingly quiet, gentle, and exclusive. It is now just another hotel which us occasionally quiet and peaceful, but then the crappy Muzak starts blaring again and it's lost.

Look elsewhere if you want a spa break. This place will just annoy you.

GAH THE MUZAK

• Stayed December 2012
Angel S, Gerente at Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
We want to say we've received your feedback and worked to take advantage and be better with our services ... thanks for taking the time to write and send the whole team of Pueblo Bonito Pacifica are committed to being better every day.

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel between December 17 and 24 and overall we had an excellent holiday. Special thanks to all restaurant and the room service staff.

However there are a couple things to be aware of;
- Spa Services are extremely overpriced and sometimes there can be some misunderstanding about what is considered to be a "Spa Treatment" in particular to the temazcal sweat hut. We had booked one session through the consierge with no mention of an extra cost, only to find out at the last minute there is a $147 charge per person. Then we were blamed by the spa manager, Rudolfo, that it was out fault for not looking at the spa menu and he tried to charge us a cancellation fee of 50%. Unfortunately we had learned about Temazcal from our Yoga instructor not from the spa menu. When we were discussing with Rudolfo, another couple arrived sent by the Yoga instructor without any mention of the extra charge. Finally they backed down after an embarrassing argument in the reception of the spa infront of other people waiting for their "relaxing" spa experience. On the positive side the Yoga on the beach(Boga) was excellent each day and our instructor Alberto was great.
- On the first day, we were offered to upgrade our room from a standard view to an ocean view one. We accepted the offer with an extra charge, but we believe we were given the room with worst view in the ocean view level. They only give you one option or ask you to upgrade to an ocean front suite which is $150 additional charge. The people in the reception are not trying to make you happy, they only try to rip you off.
- Right from the beginning, when they give you the all-inclusive bracelets they start offering time share presentations... then they have people by the pool trying to sell you time shares.
- There is not enough blenders in the coctails bar. Mosty first drink comes blended, and the following ones unblended and with more alchohol in them. If you specifically ask for blended, then you need to be prepared for a long wait.

We also recommend you to take a whale watching trip with Cabo Adventures. We saw 6-7 hunchback whales and our guide, Beth, was excellent...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!