“They hijacked 5 hours of my time, stole $20 and now I have Clyptospordium! So was it worth it? NOPE!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort & Spa

You added Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Cabo Pacifica s/n, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Ranked #14 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My 2 friends and I were looking to getaway for a girls trip. Something relaxing so we could recharge out hectic lives! I travel a lot for work and am constantly staying in 4 to 5 star hotels and know you get what you pay for. So we decided to splurge a little more and well I am paying for it now!

Upon check in at 7pm at night they didn't have a room for us. We had to wait for 2 hours before they could find one. You would think that at 7pm it shouldn't be problem, wrong! They ushered us over to the time sales desk and the lady was quite nice and since I travel to Cabo at least once a year I thought heck why not I am curious to see what its all about. I had to pay a $20 deposit, which I never got back (more on that later).

Service in the restaurants- pool guys were great. Martini bar Carlos was fantastic and Sergio in Siempre was fantastic! The host even remember who I was by the next day. Be prepared not to rush and enjoy your meal things move slower here. We ate at the restaurant every nice as we found the food really impressive. They even had Foie Gras which was delightful! We only ate at the buffet once and thought is was lacking a lot! If you order lunch from the pool guys go with the fish tacos, chef's salad or quesidilla! We tipped everyone and fond that it went along way!

Time share sales men... STAY away. I now know why people commit to crimes they never did! I went wanting to know what it was about and to see if it was something that I would want to do. Of course I am not buying anything while I am on vacation, are you kidding me? Oh but the deal is only good till Monday when you leave. Well then it isn't a good deal is it! They stole 5 hours out of my day and i thought it was high unprofessional. Every time we said no they brought over someone new to try and convince us to buy. When we tried to leave and get our $20 back and of course the $200 gift certificate they ushered us to another room and had even another person in our face about why are we not buying. They even insulted my friend that I was with. At that point seeing no end in sight we got up and left. I was never able to get my $20 back or the gift certificate. We talked to the lady at the desk at the Pacifica about the behavior and rudeness and she answered her personal phone while I was talking. And then said sorry you don't get it you will have to go back to the Sunset and ask.

When it came to overall niceness of the hotel the rooms were cleaned twice a day and we did have turn down service. It took us a full 24 hours to get the pillows we received. The grounds are immaculate with the exception of the pool. I find this quite ODD. I read the reviews that there are a couple of tiles missing. Couple it was down right astonishing. I was shocked that they let the pool get this bad into shape. It definitely isn't luxury when you see the pool.

Now lets get to the gift that keeps on giving! I have been utterly sick for 48 hours to the point that I am afraid to leave my house because there will be an accident. Thank god I took the rest of the week off as vacation but my friends were not so lucky! It sounds like from all the reviews of the same people that stayed there that we have clyptospordium as well. I have never been so sick in my life like this.

So would I recommend this place? Not now! Save your money and go with one star lower where you won't get screwed out of $20 dollars, 5 hours of your time and don't have a case of the poops for 5 days that ruins your time off!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (745)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

We had a good time but we got sick from the pool water. The only people in our party who didn't get sick were the ones who didn't put their heads under water in the pool. Clyptosporidium is what the doctors said. Pretty gross and several days out of work when we came back. Long story short, we had fun while we were there but not a lot of fun upon return. Sickness lasted a little over a week.

• Stayed November 2012
vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at Pueblo Bonito Pacifico Resort for the first week of November
Hotel: very clean, room was often cleaned twice daily, bar fridge was topped up daily, friendly staff, able to shuttle to other sister hotels (Sunset, Rose), no evening activities except sitting by the fire urns, very low key and easy going. Loved the food at Siempre for dinner (we ate steak every time). Went to Sunset hotel for lunches at Skypool ( fish taco) and fancier lunches at the Bristro (which had beautiful views).Wish we had discovered the adults only pool at Sunset eariler in the week.
Beach: not swimmable at Pacifica or Sunset but took shuttle to Rose hotel and found it very busy with activities (jet skis) and peddlers. The ocean at Rose was dirty with lots of gray bubbles. Pacifico beach is lovely to walk on and very clean.
Pools: At Pacifico the large pool was a bit cool to swim in compared to the other round pool. There are tiles missing in the pools as previous reviewers comment on.By 11am there was no umbrellas avail. Lots of towels available. Great pool side service by staff who come around routinely for drink and food orders.
Bugs: lots of mosquitos and moths hanging around the light fixture of hotel room. Mosquitos also get in room quickly by patio door. The bugs were so annoying we couldn't play tennis for more than 20 minutes.
Sunwing: our trip was booked through Sunwing which included transportion to and from airport. Pacifico is the last stop on a long drive. The drive has lots of construction around Los Cabos; speed bumps and winding roads also slow down the ride. We got out of the plane at 3:30, waiting until 4:30 when all passengers were accounted for then finally arrived at hotel by 7pm.
The return trip was less time consuming thankfully.
Overall we loved the Pueblo Bonito Pacifico hotel. We took advantage of going to Sunset Hotel often (only a 4 minute shuttle). I would rate the hotel a 5 star having been to lots of 4 stars and a few 5 star hotel in Mexico and Caribbean. We had a lovely time at this hotel.

Room Tip: We did not opt for paying for ocean view and got one anyways based on the layout of hotel. We were i...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

We own at sunset beach but were unable to get in so they offered us pacifica. We have been coming to cabo since 2002' and when Pacifica was built, it was suppose to be a quiet relaxing atmosphere. NOT! Music is now modern, loud, and pool area is full of games and poor service. We attempted to hang out at the pool one day, but one was enough. We chose to head over to sunset beach for the other four days. The rooms are small, and yes, smelled musty. One evening we decided to try the Mexican buffet poolside. As we stood there waiting to be seated, we were not greeted at all. We asked and they pointed to a table. We then asked if we could go ahead and start eating. Service was terrible. At one point, while we were getting our plates filled, the server took our drinks and silverware, as if we were done. The only good part is , they didn't charge us. Thankful for that. Because at 30.00 a person, it was horribly overpriced. I would tell you NOT to stay here, and choose someplace else. Needs attention. There is no one who seems to care, or willing to help resolve any issues you have. We only stayed here 4 nights, and then moved to sunset beach. ( read that review). Employees there seem to understand there are issues and they are unhappy as well. There are many other places to stay in Cabo.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I just returned from a 6 day/5 night stay at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort and Spa. My wife and I, both age 37, from Los Angeles, stayed at the Pacifica from Nov 15-20th. We booked our vacation through Costco Travel, whose package included flights, ground transfer, and hotel rooms.

Check in was easy... with a brief explanation of the restaurants' schedules, a brief stop by the "timeshare" desk for our AI bracelets, where we politely declined an invitation for a timeshare tour (no pressure), a bell boy presented us with cool towels and bottled water, and we were on our way to our room.

The room was good, had a view of the ocean and the pool/grounds, but didn't have the king bed that we requested (kinda important for an anniversary trip). I called the front desk to see if a king room was available, but was told that there wasn't... Jose, our bell hop, suggested going to the front desk the next morning to inquire about a king room, knowing that a number of guests would be checking out... which I did, and we were accommodated that afternoon. The new room was in a quieter end of the resort and had a better view than before.

Here are the main points that I took away from our stay at the Pacifica:

1. Service was friendly and helpful, always. From the front desk staff, concierge, bar tenders, cleaning crew, activities coordinator at the pool, the wait staff, and shop clerks, all were smiles, helpful, and courteous. Everyone looked like they really enjoyed working there.

2. We spent a lot of time at the pool, simply relaxing, getting a tan, and enjoying cocktails and lunch... Service was good, drinks tasty, and the lunch food - fish tacos, beef tacos, shrimp tacos, and chips & salsa were good... we looked forward to lunch. I suggest "reserving" a couple chairs by the pool by placing a flip flop, book, or hat on them before 9am... everyone else does. And if you get to the pool after 10am, then good luck finding a place to sit. That being said, it seemed that there was almost enough chairs for all the guests.

3. The nightly dinner buffet was not so good. As mentioned in previous reviews, it was the same ingredients every night, but somehow dressed up for the various "themes": Mexican night, Asian Night, Latin Night, American Night.... which translates to Salad, Rice, Beans, Chicken & Beef fajitas (or stir fry, or BBQ)... the buffets were poorly attended, quiet and just not that good. Mexican night was the only time we tried it (our first night there, we figured it would be easy)... there weren't any tortilla chips, guacamole, or tortillas...strange.

4. Siempre, the "nice, sit-down restaurant" was good-great. Breakfasts from the menu were great, and fresh, with great coffee and juices. We ate the breakfast buffet once - not so good, I recommend avoiding any and all buffets here. Dinner at Siempre was great. The food and service was "high-end", with interesting, Mexican takes on items like Filet Mignon, Mashed Potatoes, Salmon Ravioli, Tuna Tartar, and Creamed Corn. Service at Siempre was great.

5. The Pool: As mentioned in other reviews, the pools have missing tiles. To get a better idea of what this means, the pools are finished in small, bathroom floor style 1" blue tiles. While the pools and the hotel are just under 10 years old, the pool is in bad shape. Tiles are missing everywhere. It isn't dangerous and it won't hurt your feet, but it just looks BAD... embarrassingly bad. I have to imagine how upsetting the hotel owners must have been when this started to happen, and I imagine it would be a real drag to close and drain this enormous pool in order to fix the tiles or completely redo the pool with a more permanent solution like gunite.

6. The Bars - all the bar tenders were helpful to make and poor just about anything you wanted, from shots to mixed drinks and beers. If you ever asked for something not included in the AI, they would let you know. I never felt "duped" into ordering something I would have to pay extra for - very nice. A bar was open somewhere from about 10am - 12midnight...

7. The Spa - We got a couples massage. The spa facilities are very nice - includes a hot tub, cold plunge bath, relaxation/quiet room, steam room, and nicely appointed locker rooms. While smaller, it would be comparable to Burke Williams. The massages were very good, I would recommend them.

8. The sushi restaurant was good, with quality comparable to our usual sushi places here in LA.

Overall, If I were to compare this resort to others that I have been to (not in Cabo), I'd give it a B+ or A-. For the money, considering service, and facilities/accommodations, it doesn't compare to hotels in Las Vegas, where state of the art accommodations, multiple restaurant choices, pools, and entertainment, etc., can be had for just over $100/night... But compared to what we saw in Cabo, walking around town... its easily one of the better, and secluded hotels.

The resort is relaxing, with the sounds of water fountains, new age music, and the smell of lavender almost everywhere. Even the shuttle van that takes you to the other Pueblo Bonito resorts smells of lavender. Its adults only, which was great, and i would guess the average age of guests would be between 35-55.

Room Tip: Buildings 4 and 5 are quieter, being a little further away from the outdoor restaurants.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

A group of us were at the resort for a long weekend. Atleast 12 of us became extremely ill upon returning home from the trip. We were eventually diagnosed with a rare parasite, most likely obtained from either the pool or ice in the drinks. Despite multiple calls/emails, the resort refused to accept any responsibility. Horribly disappointing to me since it put other guests at risk.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Boca Raton Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Spent a relaxing five days at this property November, it was off season so the hotel was not that busy. The hotel is very low key and did not seem to cater to the crazy party crowd, another plus no one under 18 allowed,so you didn't have kids running around and playing Marco Polo! When you arrive you go through a mix of gates, as the hotel is part of a compound with another hotel and private residences. The compound is on its own private beach, great for walking not safe for swimming, they have strong under tow in the area. The hotel is all inclusive, the food is fare, the service however was very friendly and they would go out of the way to make sure you were happy. We booked a few side trips, snorkeling and fishing and everything was taken care of including our choice of beer on the fishing boat. This property is about 10 minutes from the marina, shopping district and its only a$15 cab ride. This property is perfect for people who want to relax and just enjoy the peace and quite of a true Mexican resort.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#28 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 stars 5,048 reviews
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa

Been to Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!