“would recomend” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camino Viejo a San Jose | Del Cabo KM 4.5 El Medano Ejidal, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Lexington, Kentucky
“would recomend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

I just returned from an 8 day stay at the RIU Palace Cabo. Prior to my booking this hotel, I read several reviews with mixed comments. Here is what I experienced:

The Hotel is very large and kind of seperated into 2 sections. They have 2 large pools and 2 swim up bar pools which are identical. One plays music, water volleyball, and water games. The other is a quiet pool. The reviews were pretty much right about the water in the swim up bars...a little cloudy and the water is slightly warmer. Drinks flow all day. Drink the frozen drinks fast as they melt right away!

The service at this hotel was great!! People always asking if your meal, drinks or whatever is ok and can they get you anything else.

Food: The buffets I found to be quite good. Remember, you are in Mexico, the food is different than in the US so expect it to be different.

I did not eat in any of the 4 specialty restaurants but the comments I heard were all good. The process to make reservations is a little clumsy but not as difficult as people make it out to be.

The views and location of the hotel is ideal..You can see the Arch and all the cruise ships that port in Cabo. The taxi to downtown is a short 10 minute ride for $12.00 or $ 3.00 per person over 4 people. The beach is difficult to walk and is pretty rough on tender feet so be prepared to just look at the beach.Plenty of activities a the hotel....nightly shows, plenty of bars, and a night club.

The fishing was great....I went twice on 2 different boats. I went to the marina and did the searching for a boat on my own. It's cheaper that way and you also see the boat you are chartering. I do not suggest going thru the hotel to book fishing trips.

Overall>>>> The RIU is a fun, clean, attentive, and oh yes, a lot of newly weds here. Try this place...trust me, I travel a lot for work. Come enjoy Cabo

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (924)
  • Polish first
Collinsville, IL (St. Louis, MO)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

Our group visited the RIU Palace Cabo San Lucas 9/25 – 10/02/2010. Our group is fairly well traveled, and we have middle of the road expectations. We don’t need the lap of luxury, but we like to get what we pay for. Overall, we enjoyed the RIU Palace, and I would probably recommend it for anyone, who isn’t too high maintenance, looking for an all-inclusive in Cabo.
Food – The buffet breakfasts and lunches were just fine. They didn’t change much from day to day, so by the end of our week, we were ready for something different. There were plenty of options, so for breakfast, you could stick with eggs one day, and switch to pancakes the next etc. At the lunch buffet, the soft serve ice cream was really good, I preferred the chocolate myself. I believe we ate at all of the restaurants, and they were all pretty good. The salmon & beef dishes at the Japanese were favorites. At the Steakhouse, the ribeye was a huge hit over the filet mignon. The Mexican was really good overall, but too much food. By the time the main course came, we were all stuffed. Our best meal by far was at the gourmet. The portions were very small, but after the amazing chocolate desert, we were all plenty full. My husband had the filet and I had the sea bass. Both were great choices. We had the dinner buffet twice and it was ok too. It had a different theme each night for a nice variety. You had to make dinner reservations. Some restaurants you could make a couple days in advance and others it was only the day of. We had a group head that took care of this everyday for our group of 12. He was in line at 6:45am each day waiting for the person to arrive at 7am. We were able to get in everywhere we wanted, but we would have had problems if we would have been waiting to do this until 8 or 9 in the mornings. The only place we didn’t go together was gourmet. You could only make a reservation up to 4 people, and it booked super fast.
Rooms - The rooms were fine, but nothing spectacular. We didn’t really care, since we spent minimal time in there. Some friends thought the beds were just way too hard. One thing to note, when the floors get wet, they are slick. That goes for just about any wet surface around the resort. We were so lucky none of us actually fell. We came close many times. One of the really weird things was the bathtub. It looks normal size, but the inside curves up leaving a very narrow flat area for you to stand. This is also gets extremely slick, and all of us thought we were going to fall in the shower at one point in time. One of our friends actually showered with a towel in the bottom of the tub.
Pools – The pools were so pretty and really nice. We stayed away from the swim up bar because we figure it’s really just one big urinal. The resort has servers, so getting a drink at one of the regular pools was never a problem. No one else in the group seemed to have any issues, but I had an allergic reaction to one of the chemicals they used in the pool. I developed an itchy, bumpy, burning rash that got progressively worse during the trip. The last day, I ended up seeing a doctor who gave me a shot for relief. We spent all of our time at the activities pool, which was fine until about 10am when they cranked up the music. We didn’t mind the music, but most times it was super loud, and they only seemed to have about 5 songs they played over and over all week. Some guests enjoyed the water aerobics or played pool volleyball. Most of us just relaxed on the various seating areas in the pool.
Workout Facility/Spa – I visited the gym 4 of the 7 days we were at the resort. It was enough, but very limited. For cardio, there were 3 treadmills, 1 elliptical, 2 stair climbers and 3 bikes. None of the pieces were very new, but if you wanted to work up a little sweat, you were certainly able to….especially because it was so darn hot in there. The room also had some very old weight machines. Once again, enough to get the job done, but not state of the art. I was very disappointed that there were no dumbbells at all. A handful of 5 – 20lb dumbbells would have been enough for me to feel like I was completing a real workout. I visited the spa for a massage. The spa was not as nice as most I’ve been to at these resorts, but it was clean and well kept. My massage was nice, but there was construction going on in the building, so the entire time I heard “tap tap tap”. It was a little annoying considering I was paying $86 to be relaxed for the 50 minutes.
Overall – The staff was super nice. We never encountered anyone that was rude or unwilling to help. The resort doesn’t have fresh brewed un-sweet iced tea. Anytime we asked for one, the servers were kind enough to go make a cup of hot black tea and serve it over ice. Our favorite waitress was Selia. She served us at the activities pool. She even helped me get some cream earlier in the week to relieve the itching I was getting from the pool. One thing that the resort really does need is more public bathrooms. It seemed like no matter where you were, a bathroom was far away. (no wonder the swim up bar was a huge urinal) The closest one to the activities pool was on the other side of the resort. Even the restaurants didn’t all have restrooms, so it would take you quite a while to walk across the resort to find one during your meal. The resort was large, so you would think they would have them on each side. It seemed like each floor only had one restroom on either extreme end of the public area. The other thing that the men kept laughing about was the woman cleaning in the men’s restroom outside the lunch buffet/steakhouse/pool area. Every time they went in there, she was cleaning away. She didn’t stop when anyone came in, and even mopped between some of their feet while they were doing their business. It started to become a joke between the guys, and sure enough, she was in there every day. I’m not clear on whether or not it was always the same person.
We enjoyed our trip, and would go back to the RIU if we ended up back in Cabo. Personally, I still prefer the Riviera Maya/Play del Carmen area better. It’s easier to get to, and offers just as good (if not better) of everything we got here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

this hotel is WOW, ill keep it short and sweet.

Dos XX is the beer, you can drink everywhere.
dont buy anything from hotel as far as things to do on the beach.
walk down to the beach and talk to mario or jose. trust me u will find them, they speak english and will do anything to make ur trip the best.

go to the beach at night, take a towel and relax with your spouse.
make dinner reservations asap, wake up early and get it done, its worth it.

make sure to eat breakfast with the same server, s/he will take care of you the whole trip.

internet in lobby area for free... take a beer, they will ask you if u want more if your drinking.

**** hang out at the bar on top same lvl as the ,lobby the sight is best in Cabo, no joke if you go and dont like it, flag me!
HAVE A BLAST, and tell the front desk @ check in that you are on ur honeymoon, free room upgrade ;)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

On our recent stay at the Riu Palace was relaxing to say the least. Hotel is a little dated, but very well kept. The FOOD was okay. The fruit and salad bar are my two favorite items were not that great. The restaurants were booked far in at advance and yet they don't let you make reservations in advance? over our five day stay we were only able to get in to two restaurants. Shopping and taxi rides are a little on the expensive side. It cost $12.00 to go into down town and it is only ten minutes away? if you ride with a group of four they charge the same, except we were only two in our group so we had to pay the twelve bucks. The entertainment was okay, not child friendly. Over all I plan on staying away from this organization. Their standards don't live up to their advertisement. I will chose other resorts over the Riu in the future. We did do one excursion- which was great! we went back horse riding on the beach at sun set.....it was awesome.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

This place is very clean, the check in was quick, the rooms were clean, however I kept seeing some little bitty bugs crawling around in the bathroom that irritated me but I got over it, beautiful grounds I would go back in a heart beat.. One problem if you do not book you dinner reservations when you get there you will not get a chance to eat, we were lied to and proof that we were booked for a restaurant and it was not open on the specified date but after talking to someone you got the place we wanted anyway so it all worked out we just could not believe we were lied to, but again I would still go back because everything else was great

Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

Went to Cabo with my Mother on our annual Mother/Daughter trip and had a wonderful time!
The Resort is beautiful, rooms nice, new, clean. Mini bar stocked. Couldn't really complain about much. Probably the only thing I would say is, there are a TON of stairs. If you aren't in good shape, or are traveling with an older person, or even a baby, you probably want to ask for a room near an elevator!
If you enjoy swimming in the ocean, this is not the place, at least not in June when we were there, the waves were MASSIVE, at least 6ft tall, no kidding, they had the beach roped off with danger signs.
We went to relax, and shop, so didn't bother us any.
Pools are beautiful, and pool service is pretty good, very few times did I have to get out of my chair to go to the bar for a drink, usually only later in the afternoon, not sure why.
Beautiful place, have stayed at several RIU resorts and have never been let down, would definately return. Will try to post some pics.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

From check in with a margarita, to the beautiful view from our lovely room, to delicious meals with warm, attentive service, our vacation at the Riu Palace in Cabo San Lucas was the finest, most enjoyable & fun-filled vacation we've had. My boyfriend & I spent a week at the Riu from Sept. 21-28 & we've traveled/vacationed extensively. As an all-inclusive, the drinks were delicious, food options were delightful, delicious, fresh & flexible and the facilities provided plentiful, clean, architecturally pleasing options. The personal, thoughtful & responsive service was beyond compare! 2 recommendations - snorkel at Chileno Bay beach (local people, beautiful fish, gorgeous) & rent a boat to fish for marlin & mahi (fun, unique experience). This is THE place for us - spectacular vacation spot. Anyone who doesn't like this place, doesn't deserve a vacation; they must hate perfection.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!