“Just returned” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camino Viejo a San Jose | Del Cabo KM 4.5 El Medano Ejidal, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Dallas
“Just returned”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a visit to the Riu Palace that I won through work. We have been to some other very nice resorts (Royal Hideaway, going to Four Seasons Costa Rica) and have been to some not so great (in Jamaica). This property falls right about in the middle.

Pro's-It was absolutely beautiful. The resort looks outs onto the Sea de Cortez and the Arches. Absolutely breathtaking. The pools at the hotel are very nice and were not all that crowded when we were there.

The rooms were nice. Clean and spacious. Felt very safe. The resort is very large and we really only went to the side where our room was.

The shows put on by the hotel were cute and creative.

There were not tons of vendors to bother you which was a huge isssue in Jamaica.

Negs- The food was okay, not great. The buffets were pretty good for breakfast and lunch. We ate at the steak house with a big group and it was not great. We ate at the Sir Lawrence by ourselves and it was okay. I heard the Japanese restauraunt was great.

The service was pretty good, people always checking for drink refills, etc.

We will definately go back to Cabo San Lucas as it was beautiful.

• Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (923)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2005

Just returned from a 6 day stay at the RIU in Cabo and I LOVED it!! I had read some bad reviews before I left--and I was scared. However, the RIU was a wonderful place and I will return. I took my mother for her Mother's Day trip and the 2 of us just soaked up the sun and enjoyed the gorgeous views from the infinity pool. Here are a few tips of you are planning on going to Cabo or the RIU.

1. RENT A CAR ONLINE BEFORE YOU GO. We rented from Payless online and paid $11.50 per day. We had a Dodge Neon. They will try to sell you the "extra" insurance for $14 additional per day-but we did not need it. Just check with your car insurance provider before you leave and find out what is covered when you rent a car. Taxis are $10 wach way to Cabo and a shuttle from the airport is about $50 per couple. Do the math. Rent a car and drive into Cabo (about a 10 minute drive) 10 times per day if you want. DON"T BE SCARED TO DRIVE IN MEXICO. It was safe and there is only 1 road (Highway1) so you can't get lost. Rent a car and you will have much more freedom and fun.

2. Eat at THE OFFICE ON THE BEACH. Cool restaurant and bar directly on hte beach. Just ask how to get there. There is parking available. It will cost $20 per couple to get there and back by taxi--so this is where the rental car is a neccessity.

3. TAKE A SUNSET CRUISE TO LAND'S END. Or, you can catch a water taxi for about $10 each. My mother disn't want to climb into the small boat because the current is strong and there are BIG waves. So, we took the pirate ship sunset cruise that leaves from the marina. Once again, a $20 cab ride to the marina if you don't rent a car. You can book the cruise at the Apple Vacations table in the lobby.

4. There is FREE parking at the Pueto Paraiso Mall (You can't miss the mall-it is just about all there is in Cabo) Just look for the signs. We parked there and ate at Ruth's Chris after the sunset cruise.

5. EAT AT LORENZLLIOS. It is on the marina and it is FABULOUS! We had crab claws, oysters, lobster... You can't get good seafood at the RIU. Take your money and go eat a GREAT seafood meal while you are on holiday. We spent about $200US for 2 of us and we had salad, apps, entrees, wine, dessert and cappucchino. YUMMY!

6. The food at RIU is good. Breakfast is best. Lunch in the little restaurant beside the pool on the left (as you are looking at the ocean) is the best. It was NEVER busy and the VIEW is GREAT. Go there and skip the main buffett for lunch.

7. The "gourmet" restaurants ----. We ate at the steak place and could not even cut the meat. Just like shoe leather. You are best off skipping the long lines for the reservations and just eat the buffett or go to Cabo for some good seafood at night. I know you will be tempted to get in the line, BUT DON'T. Sit by the pool.

8. As far a the "rednecks" and "drunks" someone wrote about...I have NO idea where they were!! The pool was quiet and very relaxing while I was there. However, I did not hang out in the swim-up bar pool. I just read my book and watched the parasailers and the cruise ships. It was great.

9. Be sure to tip a dollar here and there. Tip a waiter on the first day and then look for his section the rest of hte week and you will be fine.

10. have fun--I will be headed back to the RIU in September. The location is GREAT because it is so close to town. All of the other hotels (in the corridor) are at least 25 minutes from downtown. You are best off staying at the Rui and being close to all of the attractions.

Have Fun. I sure did.

Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2005

Stayed at the RIU Palace from 30April to 6 May and thought this resort was beautiful. Was just me, my wife and my 6 yr old daughter and couldn't of been happier with our stay.
-used Transcabo for the transportation, no problems at all
-our check in was smooth, fast, and no issues
-Room 2125 facing the main restaurant, the ocean, and land's end view (Jr Suite)
-the room was cleaned every morning, mini bar refilled each day, had no issues at all with the people who took care of our room
-the food (ate mostly at the main buffet restaurant) was excellent (a LOT of shrimp)
-active pool was fairly warm sometimes but was just refreshing enough usually, if you want to be more refreshed then head to the pool near the gym. Was not as busy as well. We usually stayed at the active pool, my daughter liked it better and was fun to watch all the activity there.
-never had a problem getting chairs at the pool, in fact if you wanted to sit closer to the pool and there were no chairs, one of the staff usually helped us haul stuff over
-there were bees around the area but I don't think they really were after people, they usually hang out at the pool bar and the bartenders don't seem to mind them
-only went to one specialty restaurant, Mexican, and was happier with the buffet. They were understaffed at the specialty and did not have the greatest service (plus only 5 main course choices, and bringing a 6 yr old a full adult meal seemed like such a waste)
-the line up for the specialty restaurants seemed a bit absurd to me, no way was I going to do that. We did book some other times (ending up going to buffet instead though) and to do that we just went after the line was gone. Also I noticed the restaurants don't seem to be full after all those reservations anyway, I am sure you could get in if you just walked up and tipped a bit at the front door
-The kids club was great, Carolina is doing a great job and my daugher had a LOT of fun with them (she was one tired little girl this trip)
-booked Scuba and glass bottom boat through Scuba Caribe (at the resort) and have to say both experiences went extremely well
-I have read a lot of comments about weak drinks, well if you think so, ask for more alcohol. I do not think they were weak, it just seems you can take in more when you are outside by the pool (I brought an insulated container and would usually get them to use that instead of a glass)
-not sure if tipping helps anything or not, they do appreciate it but overall I can't say that it got us better service
-walk to Cabo town took about about 1 hour on the beach, the sand is soft but it was good exercise (and if a 6 yr old can do it then anyone should be able to). Watch out for the waves though, it can be dangerous.
-I think the people heading to this resort will change, I have to say I saw a lot of very, very casual, dress in the restaurants, interesting activity around the pool and resort that I have not noticed at other RIU's. This was our first stay at a Palace and was surprised by some of the guests. Could be in for a shock next time they go to this resort.

Also, I remember seeing comments about theft. One day my wife left the key in the safe lock sitting out and headed off to the pool. When I got to the room we had a note saying we left our key in the room and to come to the front desk (safe was locked). Went to the front desk and got the key. Nothing was missing from the safe, I was very happy about the outcome.

Our only real complaint was that this is the first RIU that did not make the towel animals...lol. Not a big deal of course, was just surprised that not once did they leave any for us.

Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2005

We spent a wonderful week away for our honeymoon at the Rui Palace (May 9th - 17th). We truly enjoyed the weather and the atmosphere. We would definitely recommend this resort for a honeymoon vacation.

The service was prompt, the staff were friendly, the house wine was great (especially the white) and the buffet always had a good selection of foods.

We hope to return to this resort for our 1 year anniversary.

• Stayed March 2005
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2005

Just returned from the Riu Palace in Cabo. This was our third trip to a Riu Palace....we stayed at the Playa Del Carmen one 3 years ago....there is no comparison to the one in Playa. Although the property is beautiful both inside and out we found that the service was lacklustre and the calibre of clientele was nothing short of a trailer park atmosphere. Taking into consideration that the resort is fairly new ( opened in Dec/04) and the prices are introductory there was reason to believe that because of this the rif raf had a field day ( or hay day ) with the discounts. We vacationed for two weeks and with each week brought a fresh busload of undesirable eager drunks who made fools out of themselves at the swim up bar. You know who you are.......we didn't need to see your moon when the sun was shining brightly all day ! The food was good at all the restaurants. The a la carte reservation deal truly ------. My husband and I left the pool area early each day ( the sun is out until 7 ish so there would have been no rush to go upstairs). He jumped into the shower and ran down to stand in line for at least 45 minutes to make reservations. On our last day we noticed that the line was no longer taking a vertical position. Most were camping out on the floor playing cards or drinking in order to get lucky enough to book into one of four restaurants. We tried them all because of my husband's patience and we enjoyed them all. The system has to change as it was not necessary to endure this at any of the other resorts we have visited over the past years. The other problem was location of rooms. There is a section of the hotel that is located directly over the disco. Choose this if you are hard of hearing or you don't mind the booming sound until 2:30 a.m. There is also a quiet side pool and an activity pool. We spent one week at the activity and then decided enough was enough.....we choose to relax at the other side and endured the frigid pool temps. Yes it was cold but refreshing. The gym was equipped with 3 treadmills ( 2 usually worked, one broke several times), 2 stairmasters an eliptical and NO FREE WEIGHTS. There were weight machines but the gym was sparse. There were 4 bikes as well. This translates to long waits if you want a treadmill in a resort with 650 rooms.....need I say more? The view from the gym was awesome, overlooking the ocean ( which is unswimmable due to a strong undertow) and the cruise ships. Watch out for the Horse dung if you attempt to walk the sinking sand. Your calf muscles will get a workout so you don't even need to worry lining up at the gym ! Many a fool or drunken hillbilly got caught in the undertow and needed rescuing. Be careful ! Cabo is nice, we walked around bought souveniers and ate dinner there......prices vary so ask first. All in all would I go back ? Definitely......they need to raise the prices by about 2 grand ......that should keep the undesirables where they belong at their 2 + star hotels.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2005

May 6 -13. The weather in Cabo is Fabulous. This resort definately has many stairs to walk so if you have a problem with that be prepared to walk out-of-the-way for the elevators. The bathroom situation poolside is bad also. Out of the way or many stairs to navigate. The drinks were plentiful and top shelf liquor was available if you requested it. The buffet restaurant has wonderful food but don't expect good service unless you tip. We didn't the first day and upon return we couldn't even get silverware, we had to get our own. The waiter made it very clear by his demeanor that he expected a tip if we expected service. The rooms were clean and comfortable as was the resort very clean. Towels and chairs were available daily you could choose the active pool or the lazy pool.

Dinner reservations for the specialty restaurants were a waste of my vacation time. You had to stand in line in advance. If you don't get in line first, you loose the chance to get the restaurant you want to reserve. There has to be a better way to accommidate the guests for this service

Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2005

We just returned from a week at the Riu, what a great place, our first time to Mexico and from the moment we got on the bus at the airport until we arrived at the hotel it was so smooth. (BRING A COUPLE OF BANDAIDS) to wrap around your hotel bracelets they are VERY SHARPE!!! The way you are greeted at the hotel with a refreshing fruit drink, they pass you an envelope with your room key, towel keys and lock for your room safe (USE THE SAFE) No problems. Our room was on the 4th floor, fab view.

The pool bar we hung out in for the first few days, "SAID" the bartender at the pool bar is great, the only English he knows is "Oh, yes I know" so cute as are all of the staff here, they love their jobs for sure, always trying to please. The food, we did buffets they were very good, nice assortments, no problems at all, they serve bottled water and even the ice is absolutely fine because they make it with bottled water. If you like non alchoholic drinks try a MOJITO with no alcohol, and a little 7up in it, it is a lime and mint drink very refreshing.

Go to the Italian restaurant for lunch, the view is so nice.

No bugs really, except there are quite a few hornets that hang around the fruity drinks by the swim up bar, but I didn't hear of anyone getting stung.

The beach, VERY STRONG UNDER CURRENT!! we did walk about 25 minutes down the beach to get into a glass bottom boat to go over to lover's beach, be sure to bring you sense of humor about getting onto those boats, you may have to get your butt pushed into one because of the waves, but it is so worth the trouble to get into one because the sights that you will see over at Lands End are so lovely and you will get great pictures,

We met some pretty terrific people while we were there, Val & Stephanie from the states, Gerry & Laura from T.O. Monty & Sharon from Oakville and who could forget Ed (the greeting official from Niagara Falls) and his lovely and funny wife Mary, so many great laughs and many memories.

Here's a little helpful info. when you get off the plane in Mexico, there is a guy there that will be seeming to holler "FILL THE BOTTLE" what he means is "FILL THE BOTTOM" the bottom of the customs forms that they give you on the plane to fill out. BRING A COUPLE OF PENS!!! you need them. and enjoy the Palace, because it sure is one.

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!