“Amazing time, don't pay attention to the negative reviews” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camino Viejo a San Jose | Del Cabo KM 4.5 El Medano Ejidal, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Chicago, Illinois
“Amazing time, don't pay attention to the negative reviews”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2005

My family and I just come back from a week of vacation in Riu 2/07-2/12. I have no words, it was the most amazing resort I ever been to, and trust me I've traveled alot and know alot about the hotels. The people who complained about the hotel and the services had nothing else to do or nothing to say. I also read all the reviews and was afraid to go there, but we are glad that we didn't listen to any of the complains and the negative reviews.

The food was great, and both my mother and I have problems with our stomach so we need it to be careful what we eat, but we had no problems what so ever.

Our rooms was always clean and it had the best view. Our room was 1027 and it over looked the ocean with the arch.

The entertaiment was great, the really tried hard to please everyone, especially on the rainy day. The director of the entertaiment Carlos is very bright individual and I had a pleasure to be with him in the other Riu hotel.

When making reservations to the specialty reastaurant you need to get there early but who can sleep late when you in paradise. We had a chance to go to two restaurants the Steak house and Gourment and both were amazing.

I'm already planning my next trip to Riu in July for my b-day and can't wait. If you need more infomrmation or pictures contact me and I'll be more than happy to share any information with you. Go and enjoy the beauty, don't listen to the people who has something negative to say about the hotel, they just simply like to complain and have nothing better to say.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (922)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2005

I'm glad it has finally gotten better. We were one of the unfortunate families that went prior to Christmas (Dec. 12 thru Dec.23). We had the same room problems that everyone else seemed to have. The room we were first given and walked into was occupied. We were the first to occupy the next room they gave us and the Mini Bar didn't work nor did some of the electrical. It was fixed within 2 hrs. The A/C never did work but that was okay with us, we didn't need it that time of year. Our 1st 6 days there were magical but I guess that's to be expected when the resort is only 40% occupied. They had over 1,000 people arrive at once on our 6th day and went from 40% to 100% occupied and that's when chaos erupted throughout. A large part of the hotel cleaning staff and restaurant workers walked off the job the next day. We didn't get our room cleaned for two days until they finally got to it the following evening. You had to fend for yourself for breakfast and lunch, they didn't have enough staff. Sounds like they've got their bee problem under control. The enitre resort was swarmed to the point that you couldn't have breakfast outdoors, you couldn't lie by the pool or anywhere else. It was a bit comical when everyone was trying to find pool seats after breakfast only to be inundated by bees. I went for a workout in their gym and when I came back both pool areas were deserted. It's good to hear that they have gotten their act together. The Riu is just too good a brand not to. We loved Cabo, the resort is gorgeous and the people incredibly hard working and accomodating. I don't know if we would go back. There are so many great places and different resorts to visit in Mexico. I got up early a few days for golf and had to laugh as I passed the scene of 100+ people lined up before 7am for the ala carte restaraunt line, there's got to be a better way.

Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2005

Okay, let me start by saying that we were really afraid when we read some of the reviews before we left for our vacation. I am really glad that we did not rebook at another hotel but went to the Riu Palace to find out for ourselves. We were 2 couples in our late 30's, did not bring our children this time. I will start from check-in.

Check-in- We arrived at the hotel after about a 40 minute drive from the airport. The drive seems like about 10 minutes because you are looking at everything along the way. When you arrive they like for you to wait in the bar area (where they bring you a drink) so that it doesn't cause congestion at the front desk. A Tip- after you get your room # in the lobby bar, go and get your suitcase and bring it to your room yourself , that way you can get your vacation underway. That is what we did and we were at our room about 15 minutes after we arrived at the hotel. All in all, this was probably about the best check-in we have ever had at a hotel. Fast and efficient.

Room- They upgraded us to a junior suite at no extra charge, not sure why but we didn't complain. King size bed, with small sitting area. We did not care what our room was really like anyways, we did not plan on spending a lot of time in it. Doors did not slam, unless your balcony door was open. I had read some reviews that pointed out that the aircon did not work unless the balcony door was shut, this is true. However I would not leave my doors open with my aircon running at home either, would kind of defeat the purpose and would certainly up the cost of resort rates by having the aircon running in every room 24 hours a day. Maid was wonderful, everything was spotless in the room. Tipped maid $2.00 a day. Blowdryers in rooms are powerful, so there is no need to bring your own from home.

Food- The food at the buffet was wonderful. Lots of selection, beef, chicken, fish, pasta etc. The meat was very good, did not have that gamey taste that meat usually does when you travel. If for some reason you can not find what you like then go and explore the beautiful downtown and find something you do. We only made 1 reservation, it was at the Mexican restaurant. We did not like it at all. Itwasn't what we would consider Mexican food. When I think Mexican food, i think tacos, burritos, fajitas etc. This is not what it was, if you want to have AMAZING Mexican food, go to Margaritaville on the boardwalk. Good prices, huge portions, amazing
MEXICAN food. We ate a few times downtown, but the food at the hotel buffet was great.

Bees- I am allergic to bees so I was concerned. No reason to be. The only bees I saw were the ones at the swim up bar, so we sat at the tables in the same area and it was fine. Bring an epi-pen if you are concerned, that is all you can do. If you are allergic you should always have it with you anyways.

Night-life on resort- Each night they had dancers and different shows. I thought they were really good. Amateur? Not at all, these people have danced their whole lives, and it shows. If anyone in the crowd thinks they can do better, than get up there and give it a shot. This resort is not what I would consider a party resort. If you want a party go downtown Cabo, I guarantee you will find it there. We went one night and the town was alive. It costs $10.00 to cab it or 6 pesos to catch the bus. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to have a great time in town. Don't go find it yourself.

Beach- This is not a swimming beach!!! It is beautiful, but do not swim. Ther is a massive undertow, you are putting yourself in great danger if you do. If you want to swim on the beach, take a walk and go closer to the marina, there is a swimming beach there. We saw whales about 5feet off shore, that was amazing! I have never seen that anywhere I have gone before. That was not normal however, they came in and played for about an hour and then left. You can see whale jumping if you look out into the water. If you don't and you want to see some, take the Zodiac tour ($40.00) a person, you can book it right on the beach at the hotel. We did and loved it, don't forget you camera. You do not get wet on the Zodiac tour. I was also worried about getting sea-sick, i took a quarter of a gravol and was fine, I think I would have been fine with nothing. You do not get sea-sick on these boats. This tour takes you to see the sea-lion colonies and get you close enough to lover beach and the famous arch for you to take great pictures.

All in all , this is a great resort. Big, beautiful, great food selection, great drinks. Definitely not party orientated, go into town for that. Go with a positive outlook and you will have a great time. Tipping will make your stay that much better too. Don't be cheap! When you go to the bar order a Dirty Monkey, they are really good. If you don't find what you want to drink on the drink menu, they will make you anything. They have really good vodka and cranberry.

We went February 2nd to February 9th.

Oh Ya.....weather. It gets chilly at night, bring warm clothes for everynight, I only brought a few warm things with me and started running out of clothes by the end of the week. Had lots of short and tank tops left though, that didn't get worn. We had a few really hot days, I find the weather here is all over the place. We had a day and a half of rain. Remember, the resort is not responsible for the weather. Go and have a great time, we did!!

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2005

My wife and I just got back from staying at the RIU Palace in Cabo San Lucas (Feb 2 - Feb 9,2005). For the most part, our experience was great.
Yes, they are working out some bugs so if you can't stand the odd hick-up, don't bother going. Apparently, it only rains ten or so days in the region, we happened to miss one the day before arriving and experienced a wet Friday afternoon. Mornings were a little cool, but by 11:00 or so, it warmed up nicely.
Our only "negative" account was about housekeeping...our maid had somehow missed us on our first full day. So by 4 or 5 in the afternoon, my wife happened to find the head of housekeeping. She and another maid came and did our room. After that though, our room was "perfect". One negative thing RIUs are apparently known for are how they take reservations for their special restaurants...one line for any of the 3 or 4. We didn't go to any of these, we were quite satisfied with the buffets. Another hick-up was that it may have taken a couple of minutes for a waiter to bring us coffee or wine (at night), but for the most part, the staff could not do enough for you. Most of the staff are quite willing to talk to you in English and they do their best.
The only time we saw whales was from the "quiet" pool with our binoculars.
We did talk with guests who did the tours and were very happy they did.
My wife and I did the A.T.V. tour with Baja's. We had a great time...take a wind breaker though, it gets a little cool...we did the afternoon trip...well worth it. The beach is not easy to walk on, and no you cannot swim in front of the hotel. You can go further down...about 20 minutes down the beach where is is safer. We did walk to town and took about 50 minutes...wear running shoes and socks.
Vendors?...yes...for the most part, they will understand "no"...one or two were a little more persistant.
All in all, try the RIU Palace in CSL. Admittedly, my wife and I like the Mayan R. area but wanted to try something new and enjoyed ourselves. But as I said, if you need a little extra pampering or can't stand the odd thing happening, don't go.
Blair Sargeant - Huntsville, Ontario

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2005

Our stay was from January 22-29.
Beautiful place... beyond words. From the Tile, light fixtures, wood, granite, art work, class abounds. The service was excellent. We arrived and were greeted with the fruit drinks (as others have mentioned). Given an "okay" overview of the hotel. I say okay, because when we went to find the first restaurant that afternoon we were on a different level. The map doesn't clarify that the restaurants are all on different levels - nor did the person that gave us the review. The staff is still learning, but they sure are eager. The staff is picking up English well and is trying hard. The rooms are beautiful - ours was 3128 and it had a perfect view of the arch, the pools and the gardens. We loved the room, the hospitality and the lush views from nearly any position around the hotel. You couldn't help but feel like royalty with everything taken care of and being waited on constantly. Activities were good. Water aerobics was great! The man that instructs the class is a hoot! What fun. We did see a couple of bees... however we were there a week and hung out by the pool most of the time so we were bound to see one or two. Bees are not an issue. The drinks were okay... but do you really want to get plowed while sitting out in the hot sun? I didn't really want to be hanging out with a bunch of likely to get sick people in the pool anyway! If you want a better drink get it at the bar on the third floor. The entertainment or "shows" were not worth the time... very amateur but again they were enthusiastic and energetic. The specialty restaurants were okay, not really all that much better than the main dining area. The difference was service vs. buffet. The food in the main dinning area was wonderful! When it comes to dining we prefer variety and they surely had that going. Cabo itself was a wonderful place to visit. We have traveled a great deal in the Caribbean and go somewhere different every time. I think Cabo is one of the first places that we can't wait to return. We will stay at the Rio when we return. Cabo Wabo was good (have to at least see it), The giggling Marlin - HYSTERICAL! We laughed all night! Transportation is indeed 10.00 for a cab ride into town... however fun fact- you can walk down to the entry of the hotel (where the security staff resides) and catch a bus (aprox. every 15 minutes) into town for 1.50 or less. The same is true for the return trip. You did need to be at a designated bus/shuttle pickup location for the return back to the hotel and you need to make sure it is a bus that stops at the Riu palace. FYI- they stop running at 8:30 so if you're making it a late night - plan on the Taxi. We haven't heard about the outcome but there was a hostile situation brewing between the taxi drivers and the shuttle drivers. Competition for fares? Strange situation. The only thing negative was indeed the uncomfortable beds, however we called for additional pillows, which were delivered in minutes. The extra pillows were helpful. One more tip- if you turn in your towels in the afternoon or evening before leaving the pool and get new ones you don't have to wait in the morning for towels if you like to swim before the towel bar opens. We didn't hassle with the card again until the day we left. Great time have fun - it is what you make of it. Rui is great hotel and we are anxious to return.

• Stayed January 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2005

Just came back from the Riu on Feb 2/05, and was totally unimpressed by this resort and the lack of service. Love the area and people and look forward to going back, but never again to the RIU. Los Cabos is a area of major growth and shortage of staff is common for the area we understand. But what a joke, considering staff speak very little english and bar tenders don't make the same drink the same way twice. No training? The resturants are nothing great, poor & slow service, food not great, and the buffet the same food everyday, and no clean table due to lack of staff. Don't worry about getting up early to line up for the gourmet resturants because you are woken up by staff every morning around 7:00 am in the halls of ceramic floor echoing all sounds of dishes klanking. The resort is new and so are the beds, but they are as hard as rocks. I was not the only one's to complain about them, some people went to the spa everyday because of the pains they caused. This resort is a rip, and should not be considered any more than a bad three star. It has turned my wife and I off All Inclusive resorts for ever, want is the point spending that money when you service yourself for most things.

Barrie, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2005

Just returned from our 1 week stay at the Riu from Jan 29-Feb5/05. There was 8 of us in our group (all couples) ranging from ages 30-55 and we all had a good time!

I was really worried about staying at the Riu after reading all the negative views, and even tried to see if any other hotels had vacancies but decided we should try it out anyway.

The hotel was absolutely stunning and we didn't realize how close we would be to the Arch and upon arriving had a quick check in with drink waiting for us. It is a great idea to have check in for large groups in the Lobby Bar, as you can see all the pools and the wonderful views from the terrace.

Our rooms were very nice, loved the double sinks, and the mini bar. We had 4 rooms all on the same side with a partial ocean view and we slept with the door open every night to hear the waves crashing and put us to sleep. Yes, there is a bit of a septic smell, usually in the morning but you get used to it. At one point, my boyfriend said that he thought it was gone, but he just didn't smell it anymore, and it is really not that bad. The beds were firm, not hard and I thought they would be a problem as I am used to a pillow top bed, but they were actually very comfortable for sleeping.

The food was really good in the buffet. They seemed to have a theme night every night and there was always a variety. Our group really liked the Lobster night! It is very standard fare for Mexico for lunch and breakfast, and probably the best I have had while on vacation. We tried the Japanese restaurant, which was excellent and the Steakhouse which was kind of hit and miss. 4 of us had really great steaks and the other 4 were not happy with theirs. However, they mixed them all up and the ones who ordered medium well got the medium rares, and one of the steaks was barely cooked. My suggestion is to order medium and you will enjoy it. If you don't mind eating late and you want to go to a specialty restaurant, you can go to the conference room at 10 or 10:30 am and there is no line up for reservations and you can get a table wherever you want, except maybe the gourmet as it fills up fast, without a wait. We didn't care if we got the reservations or not as we were quite happy with the buffet.

One of the reviews on tripadvisor felt that the booze might be watered down. That is not the case at all, as we watched alot of bottles being opened and poured into glasses and they are very generous with the alcohol there. Which I found out the first night we were there, and lived to regret the next day. The plaza bar (the stage level at the back) was the best bar and we spent most of our nights there being entertained by the bartenders, Joe, Benjamin and Javier who taught us lots of spanish, sang alot, and made sure we were all taken care of. They even stayed open later for us one night as we were all having such a good time with them. We tipped them $5 to $10 dollars per night and they really appreciated it. By the end of the trip they were saying that they wouldn't take any more money from us!

The pools were beautiful, and the one on the left (facing the beach) is the activities pool and the warmer pool. It is like bath water and refreshing when you get out as there is always a breeze from the ocean. The swim up bars were great too! And the pool waiters are good if you find the right one (look for Sanchez). We had one pool waiter the first day and we thought if we gave him $5 right away he would take care of us, but we never saw him again! Lesson learned: Wait till the end of the day to tip!

The nightly entertainment is great if you enjoy a show! But be sure to bring some sweaters for the evenings. In speaking to a few people who had been to Cabo before or people who lived there, they said that this is the coolest it has ever been at night. It would go down to around 60 degrees and felt a bit chilly after a day of 80-90 degrees.

If you like to get out and dance, the disco is good, but there are so many bars in town that its hard to choose which one to go to. 4 of us went to Cabo Wabo on the last night (Van Halen's Sammy Hagar's bar in town) and had a great time. Had we have gone into town earlier in the week, we probably would have tried a lot more of the bars, but we will know for next time.

Our only complaint was the other hotel guests. There were alot of people complaining and overexaggerating everything. People need to realize that its them that make their vacation good or bad. You can choose to complain all week, but that's not very relaxing and you won't be taking in all the good. And if you have a complaint, don't try to bring everyone else down who's staying there. Let them decide for themselves what they want to make out of their holiday. One women was yelling in the restauraunt at lunch that we should all get our money back, and someone else told her to sit down & shut up. I almost applauded until I heard someone by the pool on her cell phone very loudly saying everything sucks. Get a life! your on holiday, and it beats being at work, in the snow or cold weather, and you paid good money to go there, so get your moneys worth. And yes, the hotel has its growing pains, but a year from now, it will be double/triple the price and only for the rich! So go while you can, and make a great holiday for yourself!

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!