“RIU Palace very nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas B.C.S. - Baja California Sur, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #28 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“RIU Palace very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2005

My wife and I just returned after spending Jan 4-9 at the Palace.

Check-in was quick and efficient, we had chosen TransCabo for our airport transfer and paid $75 each way for a private car (SUV). Were at the hotel within an hour and a half of landing.

The facility is new and beautiful, bathrooms are the best we've seen in Mexico, all marble. The tub can be slick for your shower, but there are handholds, use them as necessary. The towels are huge and very nice. The beds are quite firm. I don't know how you could get around this other than to get used to them quickly. I'm sure as more people use them, they will soften up.

The beach area is great, but the palm trees are new, and there is not much shade. The pool areas have a generous amount of umbrellas for shade. The drinks were great (try the Mayan Coffee after dinner), and it was hard to get into the specialty restaurants even though the hotel was not crowded. From what we could see it was a staffing problem. But the International Buffet had great variety and some big surprises (big slabs of tuna sashimi in a pepper-wasabi sauce). Another big highlight at breakfast was the baked goods, rolls and coffee rings that were fresh and wonderful.

They are still doing a bit of work on the place; one morning at 8:30 am they began chizeling something right outside our door. And the doors slam and it can be noisy at night with all the tile floors. On balance, though, it was a very nice place and the staff was friendly.

Saw exactly 3 bees in 5 days, and one was on an excursion. We would certainly go again.

4,108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (829)
  • Polish first
mississauga, ontario, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2005

Just returned from a glorious week ( Jan 1 to Jan 8) at the Riu Palace.
I like everbody else read all the reviews before leaving and was extremely worried about what I was getting my wife and I into.
We were extremely pleased with all areas of the resort.

I will rate the resort in sections.

1) Service: From the moment we arrived until the time we left the
service was excellent. If you sit in the same section for breakfast.
lunch and dinner at the buffet, the waiters will get to know you and
remember what you like eg. My wife likes tea and I like coffee
and orange juice with breakfast so Jorge would always remember
us and bring it when we sat down to eat. The bartenders would
also remember what you drank. The staff all spoke English, some
better than others, everybody tried to make your stay as pleasant
as possible. They seem to work 20 hours per day.

Service 5 out of 5

2) Room: Our room was number 3040 which was located on the inside
of the south section facing the pool. It consisted of a
2 seater couch, coffee table, 6 drawer dresser, long bench
to keep your suitcases on or too sit on, large bed, 2 end
tables with 2 drawers on each, clock radio, iron and ironing
board in closet, mini bar stocked with jose cervo gold tequila,
bacardi white rum, smirnoff vodka and presidente brandy.
mini fridge stocked with 4 corona, 2 pepsi light, 4 pepsi,
2- 7-up, 2 orange crush, 2 canada dry club soda, 2- 500 ml
bottled water, 2- 1.5 litre bottled water (replaced every 2
days) The bathroom had a shower, bathtub, shampoo,
conditioner, shower cap, soap, body lotion, blow
dryer, make up mirror, toilet and double sink.
Also they have an in room safe.

room 5 out of 5

3) Entertainment: There are 2 main heated pools 1 for activites
and 1 quiet pool. The activites pool area has
ping pong, water polo, aqua volleyball. pool
arobics, spanish lessons, crazy games, bingo
marangue lessons, stretching on the beach,
beach volleyball. Each pool has 2 jacuzzi`s
and 16 loungers built into the pool. There is
2 pool bars one beside each main pool. The
pool bar consists of 8 stools in the water 16
stools around 2 fountains in the pool and
2 jazzui`s. The pool bar has upper seats
which are under shade if you don`t want to sit
in the pool. The nightly entertainment consisted
of nightly shows ranging from mariachi band to
Grease we only managed to stay up for 1 show
which was Grease and It was very good. We spoke
to other people and they said some of the other
shows were better and some worse.

entertainment 4 out of 5

4) Bars There are 6 bars on the property open and closing
at differant times throughout the day and night.

The service and choice of drinks is second to none.
All the bars sever top shelf liquor eg. Barcadi,
Canadian Club, Smirnoff vodka, Baileys, Jack Daniels
and many more. They will try to make any drink you
request even if its not on there list.

Bars 5 out of 5

5) Ocean and beach: The ocean has a very sharp drop-off about 2-3
feet from the beach so the under
currents are very strong. Every day we were
there they were flying the red flag which means
no swimming. I swam a few days with no
problems. There is a swimable beach about a 5
minute walk down the beach. The beach area is
very large and never crowded, there is always
loungers available.

Beach 4 out of 5

6) Resturants My wife and I are pretty fussy eaters and had
no problems finding food we enjoyed.

Breakfast was everthing from cereal, yogart
fruit, bacon, eggs and way you wanted the cooked,
omlette station, toast, muffins, pastry, pancakes,
french toast, all kinds of juices, coffee, tea.

Lunch We only ate at the Mar de Cortes buffet
which had Hamburgers, Hot dogs, french fries,
pizza, pasta, seafood, nacho`s, salads, cold meats,
fruit, ice cream, breads and soups.

Dinner We ate at the Mar de Cortes steak house
3 nights all 3 nights were excellant. We never ate
at any of the other al a carte`s but other people
said they were very good.

Food 5 out of 5

I realize this is a very long review, I just wanted everybody that is
waiting to go not be worried like I was. Most of the concerns written
about in the other reviews are true but to a very lesser degree. I will give my opinion on all of them.

1) The bee`s were only seen around the pool bars where the sweet mixes for the fruit drinks were kept and very little were seen no problem to sit at the bar and have a drink. They started to put glasses
over the spouts and that seemed to help.

2) Yes you have to line up to reserve your dinner reservation. As of January 1 2005 the time to reserve your reservation changed from 6:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. The first day we lined up at 8:50 and had our reservation by 9:15. After that we decided we would take our chances and show up after the line up dwindled down. We were able to get reservations when we wanted 2 other nights and only missed out on one night. They realize they have a problem with this system but most resorts do it this way. the second day we were there they added a 3rd person to take the reservation and this seemed to speed it up. A couple of suggestions for everbody. If you don`t know which resturant you wish to eat in walk up to the reservation desk and get a menu to decde.
Most of the time wasted is everbody gets up to the front and spends several minutes looking at all 4 menu`s trying to decide where to eat.
Talk to the manager`s on duty with any suggestions you have they are very eager to please.

3) Yes the beds are hard. not as hard as I expected after reading the reviews, don`t forget they are brand new. I had no problem sleeping on the beds.

4) I never found any dirty dishes, food was always heated, tables were always cleared is someone just got up from eating and we wanted that table for the view we would ask the waiter and he cleared it right away.

Some of the negative review`s aren`t worth commenting on, some people are always looking for things to complain about. If I tried I could have found things to complain about. People remember, you are on vacation. You have worked hard all year to be able to go on vacation and RELAX. If anybody has any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Feel free to e-mail me at stevecochrane@rogers.com please put Riu questions in the header so I recognize it or I won't open the e-mail
Have to be careful of virus`s you know I also have a bunch of pictures of the resort if anybody is interested in viewing them.
Bye for now
***steve***

P.S. my wife and I are already planning to go back

• Stayed January 2005

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!