“Resort Luxury” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camino Viejo a San Jose | Del Cabo KM 4.5 El Medano Ejidal, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Ranked #26 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Austin, Texas
“Resort Luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This is an amazing property. Very clean resort, amazing food. Could use upgrades as the rooms are a little out of date. The beds are extremely hard and very uncomfortable. When we would return to our room after a hard day of touring and playing we like to view the television to sleep by. It was in a very difficult place to watch from our bed and it did not seem to have any English speaking channels. May not be a big deal for some, but my hubby is not on the greatest of health and would have to go in periodically to rest.
I would go back to this resort as the food was amazing and we had no problems with staff or clean linen.

Room Tip: We upgraded to an oceanview and we enjoyed drinking our coffee and watching the surf roll in every m...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
  • Polish first
Spokane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon on July 11-18. Some things we enjoyed: There is never a time throughout the day where you could not get a drink or something to eat (all inclusive package). There is a buffet available for breakfast, lunch and dinner. On top of that they offer a selection of specialty restaurants that are exceptional. Food and drink availability for an all inclusive resort was outstanding. The swimming pools are extravagant. The hotel offers a quiet way to relax (for those interested in that kind of vacation) as well as a party/night life scene.

Some other comments in response to ones I read before we left:
We were told you could not swim because it was dangerous. I am pretty sure that is a disclaimer because if you know how to swim, and swim in the ocean, it is not dangerous.

I have read other comments about cleanliness and little issues here and there. If you go there reminding yourself you are going to Mexico than nothing should surprise you. It does help to speak some Spanish. After all, you are in a foreign country. In response to theft, the hotel has a huge disclaimer to not leave ANYTHING out in your room that you don't want stolen. This is why they provide the safe. If you do what they say, you won't have any problems.

All in all, this place was truly magnificent and whether you go there to relax or go there to party you will have a great time.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My wife and I were looking for an inexpensive vacation as it had been a while since we had taken one but didn't have a lot of money to spend. We knew we wanted to do a Mexico all-inclusive because the prices were the best when we went (June 23-30). We also decided to stay on the Pacific Ocean side as we noticed with anything on the Atlantic you almost lose a full day travelling with most of the all-inclusive packages (we were flying from Vancouver, BC).

After doing a bunch of research on different hotels and putting the word out to our friends and family it turned out that we actually knew a few people that had stayed at the Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas and had good reviews of it.

All that being said here is some point form PROS and CONS of our stay at the Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas:

PROS
--Very clean hotel. You honestly couldn't walk around anywhere in the hotel without seeing somebody cleaning.
--Free WiFi throughout the hotel. As somebody that travels a lot for work this is very impressive to see when hotels offer free WiFi. It allowed us to Skype with our son every day at home.
--Food was better than expected. Of course it's not going to be 5 star gourmet but considering the amount of people that are being served every day at all 5 restaurants I was impressed with the quality. (The Mexican restaurant was the best in our opinion. Steakhouse was the worst).
--Air conditioning in the rooms. I don't know how any hotel could not have this in Mexico but when we were researching, we found some that didn't.
--Great pools. Always at a great temperature. Good poolside drink service (especially if you tip, see below). There are three pools; 1st is more for families and offers activities, 2nd is more of a quiet(er) pool, and the 3rd is a small pool with a swim up bar (party zone).
--24hr snack room and bar. Not that we used it to its full advantage but it's definitely nice to have if you're up late (or very early)
--Beach/Ocean front. Although it's not a swimmable beach area it still has a beautiful view of The Arch and the coastline.
--Hard liquor self-pour in the rooms. It's not top of the line alcohol but who cares? It's self-pour in the rooms!
--Lots of options for excursions from tourism companies in the hotel. We used Sunwing (because that's who we booked our trip with) and we did 3 excursions for decent prices considering what they include.

CONS
--No swimmable beach. The undertow is too strong so you can't swim directly in front of the hotel.
--Hard sand on the beach. But you'll find this everywhere in Cabo. It's not too bad.
--No premium liquor. Not that I really cared but I did hear some people complain about it.

TIPS
--Dinner Reservations: Wake up early to make your dinner reservations at the 4 non-buffet restaurants. The reservation desk opens at 7am and the reservations get booked up quick.
--Tipping. It's not necessary but it gets you better service, especially when you're poolside. My advice is if you're planning on spending a long time at the pool and you don't want to go long periods without a drink, give the server at the pool a 50 peso tip (or more) right when you get there.
--Tipping: 20 pesos is a good tip. 40-50 pesos is a very good tip.
--Beach swimming: You can't swim directly in front of the hotel as the undertow is too strong but you can take a short 15 minute walk (west) down to Medano beach and you can swim there. Remember to bring your own towel though.
--Going in to downtown Cabo. A taxi will cost about $15 USD each way. Make sure you only take them from the concierge at the hotel and the concierge at the mall in downtown Cabo. It's not advised to take any random taxis off the street. You can also take the bus (which is what we did) and it only costs you $1 USD each way. The bus comes right at the end of the long driveway in to the hotel and buses to downtown Cabo come quite frequently during the day.
--Ask for a room away from the discotheque. You'll enjoy more peace and quiet at night if that's what you need.
--Buy your take-home alcohol from the duty free at the airport. It’s cheaper than what you can find in downtown Cabo and basically has the same selection unless you’re going to a good tequila bar or something that has rare brands.

All-in-all we definitely recommend this hotel and will probably be back if we decide to go to Cabo again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the discotheque. You'll enjoy more peace and quiet at night.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Corona, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in early July. Neither of us have ever stayed in an all inclusive resort before, and it did not disappoint! Some reviews stated that the food was not good, but for us, it was wonderful. I say do not just stick to the buffets, try all of the restaurants! Right when you arrive, go to the concierge and book reservations for all of the various dinners. The hotel was very clean, we always saw staff cleaning the rooms, hallways, pool decks. I never once was worried about the cleanliness or safety of the resort.

The staff was very friendly! Exceptional service from the "Epic Tours" travel concierge, Omar! He was wonderful. My card was declined because I did not notify my bank of travel, and he patiently waited while I called the bank to clear the issue. When our snorkel tour was cancelled due to the weather, Omar and his colleague helped us cancel the tour and book a new one and made sure we enjoyed every aspect of our stay there.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel for family, couples, or even a girls trip. Since it is all inclusive, it makes the inconvenience of planning meals non-existent and leaves plenty of time to relax and enjoy the vacation!!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for an ocean view room!! Every morning we woke up and sat out on the balcony over look...
LaPlace, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is our 5th year in a row making a Los Cabos run. This property is awsome. Location is great. Only a 10 minute ride into the city where the ladies can shop with numerous bars and food venues for the guys. Four dollars per person by cab to get there. Hotel property and staff Exceptional !!! All inclusive and I mean everything. If you leave hungry or thirsty, its not their fault. Only drawback is it is dangerous to swim in the ocean on hotel property due to bad undertow. No fault of hotel. A 10 minute ride to Medano Beach and problem solved. Only drawback there is you are turning away vendors walking the beach. Although my wife bought a nice silver bracelet with earnings at a good price. We started out with my wife and I going. This trip we had 7. They are doing something right. Keep up the good work Palace staff. Will see you again

• Stayed July 2014
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed at Riu Palace for 8 nights and 9 days, from July 11th - 19th. This was our 1st experience at an all-inclusive hotel, and if I make another AI trip to Cabo I will probaby book somewhere else.

CONS:
1. The rooms are budget-ish and the decor is circa 1970
2. The beds/pillows are not comfortable
3. The comforter on the bed is literally drapery/curtain material
4. There were fruit flies/little bugs infesting the sliding glass door (inside the room)
5. The bottom portion of the bathroom door is slotted so there is ZERO privacy
6. The water in the bathroom is NON-POTABLE, there is a sticker on the mirror...ie: DO NOT use it, and don't open your mouth in the shower (I got sick. True story.)
7. I had articles of clothing (brand new and expensive) stolen from my belongings IN THE ROOM
8. Don't even think of lounging in your hotel room to catch a movie/tv...unless you understand fluent Spanish (I was in bed sick)

PROS:
1. The resort is extremely well kept, very manicured and clean (there is always someone cleaning something)
2. The servers at the Medano buffet were very friendly
3. The guards at the front of the hotel keep the access secure (we had to show are bracelets each time)
4. It's only a $14 cab ride to downtown Cabo

I'm not saying this is a terrible place to stay, but the one thing that really upset me was that I had clothing stolen from belongings. I made a thoughtful point before leaving for vacation to go to the bank and get dollar bills and two dollar bills to tip everyone that gave us service, good or bad. We left money for the maids, bar stockers, servers, and bartendars, but despite that someone still felt the need to rummage through my stuff and steal it. We even came back to our room early several times from breakfast and the maids were still cleaning our room, so we left to give them space to do their work. I'm not saying it was the maids as I do not know who did it because there are people in and out of the room at least 3 times per day. I just feel violated and unappreciated after taking the time to make sure everyone was compensated for their services, and then someone decided to steal. NOT COOL.

Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed at the Riu for 5 days. I found the service very friendly, as were all the locals we encountered. We enjoyed the bar at the pool, and it was great having the buffet open all day so we could eat whenever we wanted to. We did make reservations at a couple of their restaurants, and the food was fine, but it was obvious all their food was coming from the same kitchen.

I would go back and stay longer next time :)

Room Tip: Our ocean view room had a balcony, very nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!