“A good vacation spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camino Viejo a San Jose | Del Cabo KM 4.5 El Medano Ejidal, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
EARLY BIRD SUMMER DEALS
Ranked #27 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Canada
“A good vacation spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Our vacation was booked online through Itravel2000 because they have PDP. The price did drop a couple of weeks before we left; I put in a claim and had a future travel voucher credit within 5 days. It was a direct Sunwing flight from Edmonton. We left on time and got home 30 mins early. Yeah for Sunwing. The airport in Los Cabos has a money exchange and a liquor store that you can use on your arrival if you need. Even though we went directly to the Palace the bus ride was almost an hour long, but the bus was very modern and comfortable and has a bathroom in case you drink several cervasa. We had read about checking in on the bus and thought it was brilliant until we realized it doesn’t happen until you arrive at the resort. While they are taking your luggage off you have to stay seated while someone from the resort gets on the bus and hands out your room keys and wristbands, we would have rather been standing in the loby with a fresh drink than sitting on the bus waiting longer. We paid for an upgrade to an ocean view room b/c it is very important to us. We were assigned room 3037 and were very disappointed in the view. To the left and straight ahead we saw the resort and to our right we saw trees, there was a tiny opening where we could see a sliver of the ocean. Huge disappointment and we noticed lots of rooms had better views than that. We were going to complain and ask for a change, but we noticed it looked like we didn’t have a neighbor on one side so we decided to stay put for one night and see how the room was. The room was standard but very clean, The AC worked well, the ceiling fan was quiet and the blackout curtains were good. The safe was broken so we kept our valuables locked in our luggage stored in the closet and had no problems. The bed was very hard so we asked for a mattress topper, had to ask 3 times but finally got it and it made a huge difference. The hallway noise was worse in this resort than any other we have been to. We got neighbors on the 3rd day but they were very quiet so we stayed where we were even though we didn’t have an ocean view. The wi fi was a problem, I had full signal strength and could get anywhere on the internet except for webmail and facebook. They likely had it blocked. After 3 days of complaining we were finally able to access web mail and face book. We have been on quite a few AI vacations to Cancuun, PV, and Varadero. This was our first time to Cabo and we loved it and even though there were some issues with the Palace over all it was a wonderful vacation and we would return and we would recommend the Palace to family and friends. The food and service were very good, the room and resort were very clean. We saw a few flies and mosquitos, but no other bugs at all. When you go to the buffet to eat if you want to escape the clatter of the dining room you can sit outside before you enter the dining room, or if you go in the dining room and across the other side of the room there are doors that open to a courtyard. I think a lot of ppl don’t realize it’s there and we found it to be a very nice quiet setting to enjoy our meals in. Antonio was our server there often and he provided the most excellent service. He worked very hard to please everyone. We tipped him generously for all his hard work. Another worker that stood out for us was Fernando at the bar at the theatre. He put on a show himself with his bartending skills and it was fun to watch him at work. The service around the pools was also very good. Being spring break the resort was very busy, there was a mix of various ages there a few young kids, not many, even fewer teenagers, very few spring breakers and lots of middle age ppl . The towel game was definitely on and all the “good” spots were gone very early in the morning. But we wandered to the pool about 10 am were always able to find a spot to sit. The water in the pool was a very comfortable temperature, not cold at all. If you love the beach this may not be the place for you. It is very sloped and a few ppl were swimming in it at times but it isn’t very safe. You have to go to Madonna beach or lover’s beach if you want to swim. Note that there is no shade and no washrooms at lover’s beach. We went over to the Santa Fe resort a couple of times and it was party central there with spring break going on so we were very happy to not be staying there. However we walked through the buffet and noticed it was almost identical to the food we had at the palace and a maid let us look in the room she was cleaning so if it was a different time not so busy we would consider staying at the Santa Fe but only if we could guarantee being in building 7 as all the other buildings are behind the Palace and a ways from the beach and infinity pool. All in all it was a very good time and we would return.

Room Tip: We struck out with our ocean view 3037 very disappointed, next time we might pay for Ocean Front, th...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,048)
  • Polish first
British Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

We booked our trip the day before we left and have nothing but good things to say. We stayed at the Riu Palace March 13-20 for our 10 year wedding anniversary. From the first day there to our last, we enjoyed every minute. Our room was clean and tidy with the bar fridge stocked everyday. The staff were hard working and friendly in all areas of the resort. The beach and pool areas were amazing and the food was always good with so many choices. We enjoyed the buffet meals so much that we didn't go to the a la cartes. There were a few spring breakers at the resort while we were visiting however they were pretty low key compared to the Riu Sante Fe next door. The hallways could get a bit noisy in the mornings, but certainly not to the point where we would complain. I would totally recommend this resort to family and friends and will go back in a heart beat. Hopefully for Spring Break 2015.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Grand Island, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

The RIU Palace was perfect for our group which consisted of 3 seniors over the age of 79 and 2 semi-seniors, 60+. The buffet was delicious, morning, noon, and evening. Hugo was our waiter of choice. He was so very accommodating and gracious each and every morning and night!!! Esmerelda, a bartender at the lobby bar, was so friendly and greeted us each morning, by name. The pool was easily accessible for one in our party that used a cane. We LOVED our stay and were very impressed with the beauty and graciousness shown to us by the entire RIU staff!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building, rooms 2061 - 2059. They were ocean view with a full balcony. They w...
South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

We had a great time at the Riu! Rooms were clean. Bed was fine. Food was good too! I have been to several different resorts in Mexico and the Riu is my favorite. It's big enough to have a nice variety yet small enough you don't walk forever to get to anything. Actually, Riu has the best evening buffet I've been to. We actually liked it better than the specialty restaurants.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
West Jordan, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I recently stayed at the Riu Palace with my family. And hands down this was the best vacation of my life...so far! This due in large part to the atmosphere created by the staff. Areselli in the buffet was by far the best waitress I have ever seen, she is attentive and engaging and hilarious! Anything you ask for she and Alex, the captain, take care of and often if you ask for it once they remember. Lorenzo at the pool waiter was great as well, remembered your drinks was fun to interact with. The entertainment staff was top notch especially Sergio and Angelo! They kept the jokes coming and made the days fly by because you were having such a great time! IThe hotel was gorgeous ofset by amazing views, but I didnt want to be in my room I wanted to be at the pool watching the activities or watching the evening shows. The staff is what made my vacation they work hard, they have larger than life personalities, and they are just all around great people!

Room Tip: TIP the staff! They are amazing and work hard.....drop a few extra dollars show some appreciation fo...
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

My family just returned from a Cabo trip and we could not have been happier with the Riu Palace. We traveled from San Diego with our 5 year old son, who I think wants to move there permanently. Here is the summary...(note: this was peak spring break time)

Check-in - I am not sure why there are so many negative check-in comments. Every person I saw during check-in was high fiving staff and everyone seemed pleased. Our check-in was easy and our room was ready almost immediately.

Room - We reserved an upgraded Ocean Front Room. This room was fantastic as it was in the center of the resort, down a dead end hallway so you had no one randomly walking by, it was quiet during the day and night, and the view and balcony were amazing. Our balcony was probably 10x10 feet. You did get a little noise from the nightly shows, but that ended around 10pm which we were normally awake for anyway. We were opposite the night club so did not hear any noise at night. Bed was good, pullout sofa for son was ok.

Pool - Fantastic...not going to say much more there. Just look at the pictures from people and you will see how nice it is. Key is go down around 7am, grab towels and put it on your chair. If you wait till 830-900 most of the good seats are taken, but you can still find somewhere to sit. Some people complained about this, but with a 5 year old kid, we were normally up at 7, grab towels, hit breakfast and start the day at the pool.

Beach - Nice beach, but not great for long walks or swimming. We tended to go down to the beach and sit under the palm trees as the sun set and we wanted a little break from the sun. There are guys trying to sell you things on the beach, but they are harmless and nice.

Food and Drink - Stocked bar with water, liquor and beer in your room everyday? Check!!! The service around the pool was great as well. Throw the guys and gals some tips and you will never have an empty cup. I see people complaining about having to tip...really???? People in the service industry work on tips, so throwing some pesos their way should not be a problem. Food - we ate breakfast at El Medeno every day which is the main buffet...food was good. Lunch was at the Mesos, which was ok. Dinner we ate at the Japanese place (food ok), San Jose Mexican (good) and Steakhouse (good.) My wife and I are not super picky, but I will say the food was better than expected at an all-inclusive resort. With the amount of people eating each day, they did a good job.

Resort cleanliness - I have never see so many people cleaning everything all day. Grounds were nice as well

Activities - You can hang by the pool and the staff get people up playing games and whatnot. Very funny crew, my wife, son and I laughed a lot. If you want quiet go to the pool near the spa and you won't have music or games pumping...but we liked the fun and laughs

Langley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

This was our first time in Mexico and we were there over Spring Break. I was nervous about the timing but have to say the Palace was fantastic. A few points:

Bring earplugs - this is just common sense. The entire hotel is tile so...it's noisy. It echos. I'm a light sleeper so I bring my sleeping pills, earplugs and it's fine. Yes, there are dumb people who like to holler when they stagger into their rooms at 2 am. You can't avoid stupidity. Not the hotel's fault so come prepared.

Ask for a pillowtop! - the beds are hard so call the front desk and request a pillow top for the mattress. Makes a huge difference.

Stairs everywhere - this could be an issue for anyone who has difficulty with stairs. We were on the ground level garden view...great spot. But the elevators are scarce and if you are on a higher floor, or getting to the lobby/lobby bar it's a trek up three long flights

Bugs - none really...but a few mosquitoes did get into the room. Had a few bites

Room - all of them smell musty. Get over it. :) Also, make sure your door closes behind you! Ours seemed to "catch" when opened wide and we came back on first day to a WIDE OPEN DOOR! We panicked...but all the doors are in alcoves (not facing hallway) and luckily everything was fine. Also, we apparently left our safe open once and a note was left saying that we had to get security to open it for us etc. We felt very safe at the resort. There is a room bar that has vodka, rum, brandy, and...? can't remember. Fridge always stocked with pop, water and beer. We love our coffee and heard the coffee was bad so brought a plastic coffee brew/carafe system and starbucks and made our own coffee in the room each morning. Also, if you like Bailey's or Kahlua in your coffee just ask for it at the bar and they will give you a little cup and you can keep in fridge :)

Food - you're at an all inclusive, not a gourmet tasting experience. Don't come with gourmet expectations. Having said that, the food was awesome. We only went to the Mexican restaurant and Krystal (twice because we LOVED the Leek soup!). We did not opt for the Japanese/Sushi place because we come from Vancouver and are pretty spoiled with amazing sushi so didn't bother. Also didn't try the "steak house" which is just the lunch buffet location serving steak dinners. Walked by and seemed to be nice steaks and then standard same corncob/potato/veg combination for everyone...meh....you can always get the same food at the buffet. The reservation system is fine. Had no trouble but we were also always up early. For the Krystal you need to make your reservation in the morning. It is the "fine dining" option and overall the food was very good, nice change from the buffet. We were charmed by the attempt at "fancy"...reminded us a bit of Fawlty Towers and we just enjoyed it. They are really working hard to make it an experience and you just need to go with it. The buffet options were always outstanding. No issues with sickness...the ice seemed to be fine. I didn't have a lot from salad bar just because I was nervous but there really didn't seem to be any issues from talking to people. I also never had any water poured from pitchers but again....people didn't seem to have trouble.

Drinks - heard nasty things about the wine. Again...it's an all inclusive, not a Napa Valley Wine Festival. If you drink "two buck chuck" the wine here is about the same. Ordering drinks at the pool you get pretty much whatever you want. Ask for premium liquor if you want (Absolut, Tanqueray etc). I stayed away from the slushy drinks, had a few mojitos but everything tasted like aspartame to me which I'm very sensitive to so stuck with gin and tonic (they have Canada Dry tonic), white wine and soda, and the Caesars (not bloody mary's, I'm Canadian :) ) were good but I had them "not spicy" to avoid the pre-mixed base. The pool servers are outstanding. Always happy, quick, and just fun to have around

Service - amazing. I have never seen people clean so much in my life! They were always cleaning! and cleaning areas I didn't even know existed! every banister, chair leg, table bottom, ledge etc was being wiped. Everyone is eager and happy to meet your every need. These people work hard and LONG! The guy who seated us at breakfast at 7 am also sat us at dinner at 630 pm. We had one pool server that we really enjoyed and noticed one day that he wasn't there...then we saw him running dishes into the kitchen and asked why he wasn't at the pool. He said he was "grounded". We asked why, and he said because his shorts weren't clean enough in the morning. It was very cute...but points to the high expectations of the staff there. So...treat them well! and tip them....we brought about $100 in one dollar bills...and just tip everyone, often.

Location/Time - we were there spring break and it was all fine. Quiet and adult oriented. Can't say that for next door Riu Santa Fe. That place was Spring Break madness....heard terrible things and saw a mess. Standing room only at pool and just alot of drunk kids. We called it the "cesspool". Knowing that was going on pretty much all the way down the beach...we were THRILLED with the Palace experience. The beach front is very quiet...very few sellers and they stay behind the ropes.

Activities - we booked a water taxi with the resort just because we felt it was more secure. I think it was $30 for two of us (or less) to get out to the Arch and back. There are other taxis all down the beach but you never know what they end up charging. Heard about being quoted a price on the beach and then once you are out there they ask for more money. We walked from resort to the marina...LONG walk but doable. About an hour each way. The sand is hard to walk in so we wore runners we could get wet. You can get a taxi to town for about $10 each way or you can take a local bus for a buck. This is a great way to get around during the day and a good "local" experience. No trouble. Took a bus to San Jose also...and cab home because it was late. Cab was $35 coming home but it's a pretty long drive so felt it was worth it. San Jose is adorable....did the Thursday Art Walk/Tequila Tasting. Great time. It's a historic town with cobblestone streets etc. That was about all we did...lots of water activities available. Would probably go deep sea fishing next time. Saw LOTS of whales from shore. There is a Costco very close. Taxi overcharged I thought, to get there...$15 when you could walk. It's a long walk out of the resort...but once you are out it's not far.

Pool - very clean. No issues with saving chairs etc...always lots available but only a few in the "prime" spots so we were always up early anyway and put our towels there. Hardly anyone in the pool at one time...considering it was spring break that was amazing.

We had a great time at the Palace and would definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!