“"Treated Very Well"” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas B.C.S. - Baja California Sur, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Exclusive Reward!
Ranked #28 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Fort Saskatchewan
“"Treated Very Well"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This was our first time in the area and it lived up to our expectations. Reading the reviews in Tripadvisor helped out a lot. Prompt, courteous registration staff, got us in fast. No problems with keys, safe, towels, A/C, beds, bedding, or cleaning staff.
Food was excellent, lots of variety, booking the alacarts were not a problem. Entertainment was too much dancing for my likes but they were doing their best with what they had. The entire resort always had someone, cleaning, polishing, wiping, painting, somewhere on the premises.
The drinks were fine. The wine was good, champagne and orange juice with breakfast was a hit.
All the staff were very courteous, a little Spanish goes a long way, even if it's just a simple Ola.
We came in a group of 12, ranging from 26 to 86 years old and no real complaints from anyone in the group.
One of the downers was the Sunwing Rep.; he was a real jerk at times; especially to the ladies in our group. I know he really has nothing to do with the resort but still, it did leave a bad taste in our mouths.

Room Tip: We went around to everyone's room in our group and there wasn't a bad room. We all had goo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (871)
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

First I would like to say that I read TONS of the reviews on this website prior to going on this trip and some were very helpful, so I wanted to write my own to hopefully help others in their research.

We flew from Oregon to Cabo on United and that was fine, we booked through expedia and for round trip airfair, a 5 night stay (May 4th - May 9th) and a shuttle from the Airport to the RIU and back. We did Gray-something shuttles, I forgot the name but it was on expedia and they were great. Right on time and even offered us drinks in the van!

Arriving at the RIU we had a small line to wait in, it seemed like a lot of folks had all got in around the same time, but the staff were working hard at getting everyone through and taken care of quickly as they could. A guy named "Toni" helped us out, he was nice and helpful. I had emailed the RIU weeks before going to ask if my brothers room and mine could somehow be close so we didn't have to walk all over the resort to find eachother, I never got a reply from the RIU but when we arrived it had looked as if they did book our rooms close and possibly had got my email, but they never mentioned it. We had rooms 0023 and 0020. When booking this trip we realized we didn't need oceanviews or anything because we would hardly be in our rooms (we are 25 and 27 years old). We wanted rooms close to we wouldn't bother others that didn't come in late at night. Therefore, we booked the cheapeast rooms we could which actually worked out nicely because we NEVER were in the room and our rooms were located right off the side of the quiet pool! Very close to pool access!

Both pools were pretty cold, but felt good after you got in because it was so damn hot out. I deff dont think the quiet pool was heated. There also is no "hot tubs" there, just jetted circles off the pools with the exact same water. The pools were pretty nice though, and fun to swim in. If you stay at the quiet pool find "Ramon" he is the MAN! This guy literally sprinted around with peoples drinks, it was unreal to us! The service at this place was AMAZING! They go all out for you and really make sure you have a drink at all times! And everyone says "hola" as you pass buy. PLEASE TIP them! The loud pool is fun if youre in the mood for it. The water vollyball was so fun. The best guy ever, LUIS, pushes a drink cart around everday there, he was our favorite server of the RIU! Go see him please! Jenny was cool too!

The food is one reason why I didn't give this place a 5star ranking. I for sure enjoyed the food very much, and its not bad at all, BUT I believe for a 5star ranking all the food needs to be amazing and I didn't think it was. The buffets for lunch and dinner are good with lots of variety, but its the same stuff every single day, and sometimes I felt that it was maybe left over from the day before. None of us four that stayed ever felt sick off the food at all but some of it was just normal buffet food. We tried three of the a la carte restaurants, the mexican one, the steak house and the krystal one. The mexican was alright, probably the worst of any we ate at. The steak house was very good! Had the serlion and lobster tail! And the Krystral was by far the best! the Lamb was so good, I ordered two orders of it HAHA!

We did go into Cabo a few times since we had three other friends staying by the marina. If you go to town YOU MUST EAT AT "Mi Casa" !!!!!! OMG!!!!! It was the best mexican food ive ever had in my life! We ate so much we couldnt even go out afterwards, and it was my bday night! It was about $250-$300 american dollars for 5 of us but we order lots and drinks too, but SOOO WORTH IT! Ask for salvador! Got some good Cuban cigars into too, the Cohibas are awesome! Do not buy them or really anything at the RIU its so freaking expensive! Everything in town is more the half the price of the resort!

We didn't do any of the adventures becasue we really wanted just to relax but my brother and his gf did parasailing, and it was like $80 and they said they were actually up in the air for about 15-20mins. We did however take a water-taxi from the RIU to lovers beach and that was fun and only about $10-12 (by the way, we used american money the whole time, everywhere accepts it) we were only there for about an hour and it was fun becasue you can get in the ocean there. But also annoying with all the people trying to sell you stuff. You have to say no about a million times.

One thing all 5 of us guys did, that I would HIGHLY reccomend is gonig fishing! It was expensive, I think about $550 for 6 hours (included breakfast and lunch) but it was SO WORTH IT! Go to the marina and ask for Pepe he the boss of most the boats. We didn't want to go out deep sea fishing because it's much harder to catch marlins and we heard sometimes they won't try to get them and just collect the money. So we told Pepe and our two boat captains, Cesar and Edgar that we wanted to actually catch fish and not go deep sea, and they were fine with that. It took a little while but finally I hooked a 3 foot, 35lb Yellow fin tuna! IT WAS AMAZING!!! It took forever to get in but we all had a blast! Everyone that went caught a fish, however mine was the only edible one so the others had to throw theirs back. But that wasn't it, we also saw a pod of about 50-100 dolphins migrating and Cesar pulled the boat right up to the them, it was a beautiful scene! Then later on in the trip we were filleting my tuna and Cesar spotted a hammerhead shark! It was another amazing thing to sea out in the wild! we tried to catch it but no luck (it was only about 6-8ft long). Then to top off the trip cruising into the marina to end the fishing out of nowhere a HUGE seal jumped on the back of the boat and we fed him bait fish, it was so cool. He was like a dog begging for treats. It was a FANTASTIC trip and if youre into fishing its a MUST!

Back to RIU....

The rooms were a little out dated like people have posted, but we didnt care at all, we never were in there, the showers are very narrow, but it was nice it had an adjustable shower head. The beds are a little hard, but not too bad, i didn't sleep well there for some reason, not sure why but i tossed and turned in the beds a lot. Our king bed was two fulls pushed together too, which is kind of akward if you want to be close to the person youre statying with. The TV is old, but again, youre on vacation! Rooms were deff big tho and had lots of space! Alcohol in the room is cool too but we never used any of it because we were always out, and theres free liquor everywhere. The WIFI sucks everywhere there which is kind of a drag but oh well. The main thing I didn't like was that they didnt continue to restock the fridge with waters. You have to go to the front desk everytime you want extra waters or beers.

All this said, we had an AMAZING trip and would deff reccomend this to anyone especially for the price!

Room Tip: depends on what your looking for, the cheapest room worked fine for us.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here for my friend's wedding in January of 2013. I checked for tips on here for reviews about this resort. Not only did the tripadvisor members' reviews helped us but proved us that our stay would be excellent beyond expectation. I called the resort and pre-book a specific room as per review I got here. When we checked in, it wasn't the room that I asked for. Luckily, Juan - the man I spoke with over the phone was the desk. He changed our room to a better location with the view of the arch. Everytime our room was made, our bed is nicely decorated with fresh petals and/or animal towel. One of the a la carte restaurant was awesome. We went twice. We didn't have any reservation on the second time because the maitre'd was nice and friendly enough to just come over the next night since it was our last night. I can go on and on but I just want to highly recommend this place. Cabo is not my pick to go but this resort definitely made up for it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Riu Palace on April 2013 and loved it! The resort was beautiful and expertly maintained. The staff was fantastic and always smiling. The rooms were good sized and housekeeping service was great. Always had plenty of towels and room was cleaned daily. There were several pools to choose from; from high activity to peaceful. Swim up bars were great and bar service was outstanding. Buffet food had good variety but was just standard buffet quality. Location was great , just a 5 minute can ride to downtown. Loved the Riu Palace and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Pro's-
Steak house restaurant, amazing service, great view and drinks from lobby bar and even buffet breakfast had a great selection of anything u could want.
Con's-
Specialty restaurants were a bit disappointing, I'd thought they could have kept selections a bit more simple but executed better. Would have been nice if the staff could have enforced the quiet pool/ bar rules as there were a rowdy group on the first 2 days of our stay.

Definitely recommend!

• Stayed April 2013
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Palace from April 26 - May 4, 2013. We got a good deal from Trip Central and arrived about 10:30 am breezed through the customs at the airport and our luggage was already coming out. We went straight to locate our bus and we were given our room information, towels cards, hotel information, internet access code and lock for the safe. We arrived to the resort about 11:45 am and we were given our resort bracelet as we exited the bus. The luggage was looked after by the bell boys and we proceeded to have lunch and sit at the pool until our room was ready. At 2:30 we dropped by the reception desk and our room was ready and we were handed our keys. Everything was easy and smooth no waits no lineups.

This is my second visit to this resort. This vacation we traveled with family a total of 8 people ranging in ages from 19 - 80.

The hotel itself is beautiful and very clean. You will always see somebody cleaning something, mopping the floors, painting the railings, mopping the walkways. I cannot say enough about the cleanliness of this resort.

The rooms are dated and need some upgrading, my upgrades would be a digital safe, flat screen TV and a softer bed. The rooms are a sufficient size for 2 people. The hallways are noisy but I was not once woken from people traveling through halls during the night maybe it was our location room 2143. We over looked the activities pool and during the day the noise was high from the pool we did not mind it at all the few times we were actually in our room during the day.

The pools are amazing and we spent most of our time at the quiet pool. Most of the staff everywhere in the resort treat you well but some of the staff go above and beyond anything I have experienced at an AI resort and I have been to many. Alfredo at the quiet pool was very attentive and quick with the drink service all day long. He was fantastic!! You just need to ask for premium liquor and they will make your drinks with it.

The food at the resort is delicious and I do not know where these people were eating that had any complaints about the food.

Breakfast buffet had everything everyday, made to order eggs, pancakes, french toast, bacon and a ton of other hot food. A variety of breads and pastries everyday, endless amounts of fruit and smoothies, the cappuccino is so good and I am not even a coffee drinker.

Lunch buffet was the same everyday and it got a little boring by the end of the week but had plenty to choose from.

Dinner buffet was great when we ate there and had plenty of variety and a different theme different nights. Iveth in the buffet was beyond fantastic and I cannot say enough great things about her and the way she interacted with our family she made our trips to the buffet enjoyable. We ate at the steakhouse one night and Arnulfo was so pleasant and fun and the food at the steakhouse was really very good. The other restaurant we tried was the Japanese and had we ate there at the start of our trip instead of at the end we would have went back again the food was great and the service by the wait staff was so great. I feel like I am repeating myself but the food and the staff are very good.

We opted to leave the resort on several occasions and that is one of the pluses to visiting Cabo you are not stuck in the resort 24/7 it is completely safe to cab to the downtown we went to the mall, shopped at all the flea market type stores and visited the Marina. We ate dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe (downtown) and Baja Brewing company in the Marina. We went out to Cabo Wabo on 2 different nights to have some drinks and listen to the live music.

The shows at night were entertaining and we did catch a couple of them. Jenny from the activities staff was so much fun and spent a lot of time interacting with our family.

Some of our group went out on 4 wheelers very good excursion. we went out on sea doos and snorkeling and one of our group went scuba diving. The one excursion I would highly recommend is CABO FLYBOARD I have never seen this type of thing and my boyfriend tried it and absolutely loved it. Please check this out again we found this at the end of our trip and if we discovered it sooner we would have done it more than once.

Please tip the staff they work very hard, harder than most people we tip the expected minimum at home for services we are paying for. I know it is all inclusive but honestly a little means alot to the staff and it does not change their service whether you tip or not they provide good service to everyone and deserve a little bit.

Ok now my only complaint and I am not sure this is a Riu staff problem or a sunwing problem or both. Our flight to leave Cabo was at 7:30 pm and as such we were not scheduled to leave the resort until 4:00 PM check out is at 12:00 pm. I did know this in advance and did email the resort in advance of our arrival pointing this out and requested a late check out on the day we leave. I was given the usual we cannot guarantee anything but let them know when you arrive. When we arrived we did let them know and again we were told it would depend on the whos checking in that day. On the morning or our departure day I again checked with the front desk and as was immediately told no it was not possible. I was very irritated to say the least. and was offered a check out at 1:00 pm I thought this was a joke. We ended up checking out at 12:30 and carrying on with our day at the pool we then used the hospitality room to shower and change before leaving. The hospitality room is tiny and consists of three showers and no electrical plugs. I find it difficult to believe that in a resort that big that there was not one room available to move our stuff to or that we were not able to keep our room. They assign rooms in advance and given my multiple requests starting prior to my arrival you would think they could have booked the rooms accordingly. This was my only complaint and I think the front desk staff were rude and did not even try to do anything is was a simple no and if we did not vacate our room on time security would come to escort us out of our room. So other than that resort is great, most of the staff is great and you wont get better weather than you do in Cabo.

If anyone has any questions please let me know!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Napanee, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at the Riu Palace from April 27th - May 4th. We loved this resort. The location was great. You can take a bus for $1 from the gate of the resort into Cabo San Lucas. We did it a couple of times. We also took the bus for $3 from the main road into San Jose del Cabo. It took a little longer, but was a nice day. We also did the water taxi to lover's beach - just got it from a beach vendor and it was good too. The food was fabulous. Mimosas and coffee with baileys for breakfast. At lunch there was a snack bar or an Italian a la carte and some days they set up another grill at the activity pool. We never ate dinner at the buffet - we went to the a la cartes every night. We were a bit disappointed in the Mexican a la carte - it was just OK. I guess we thought it would be the best. The others - Krystal, Japanese and Steak House - were all VERY good. The view from our room was spectacular. The room itself had not been upgraded other than it DID have a flat screen TV. Our fridge was well-stocked every day. We heard noise from the hallway the first night, but not again after that. There were lots of pools to choose from and the waiter service was great at all of them and at the beach. They also set up an extra bar at the activity pool some days and had another waiter with a drink cart. All of the staff were friendly and many had a great sense of humor. We would definitely recommend this resort!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!