This was the third time my husband and I have stayed at the Riu Cabo San Lucas and the first time bringing our son (6.5 years old). We had a flawless vacation (Jan 31-Feb 7), the Riu did us no wrong once again.
Getting off the plane (Sunwing) it was a pleasure to have Riu Palace reps at our bus waiting with our room and safe keys as well as all trip information in an envelope. Also wonderful was that two weeks before our trip I emailed the resort asking for a specific suite room # that we had stayed in previously - and there it was on the envelope! We were thrilled. We ended up not needing the safe key as our suite had an upgraded electronic safe, much like we often see in Canadian/American hotels. A rollaway bed was brought up for our son 30 minutes after we got to our room. Flawless arrival all around.
The beds are (still) hard, this is a common theme with Riu resorts - you can ask for a mattress pad or even just have housekeeping put one of the thick blankets provided under your bottom sheet. It helps. The mattress for us is NOT a dealbreaker.
The food is fantastic, always is and is one of the reasons we choose Riu resorts. People need to eat the MEXICAN food in MEXICO!! It is DELICIOUS!! Maria who runs the Mexican section of the dinner buffet is an institution - she is there every night (for 3 trips now) saying "hola hola!" to everyone and serving up amazing enchiladas, tacos, beans, rice, carnitas, empanadas... I'm drooling. Breakfast is just as good, my husband, son and I all get chilaquiles every morning! Obviously there is a massive selection of non-mexican fare at each meal as well. We also ate at San Jose, the Mexican restaurant at the resort - anyone that complains about making reservations goes about it all wrong. Roll up to the reservation desk in the afternoon when no one is there and make a reservation for the next night, or two nights from then etc. We have never even seen a line and always been able to get a 6:30 table.
We were thrilled that we had no smokers around us at the pool for the whole trip! What a TREAT! Smokers should realize that they can RUIN a person's day by blowing noxious smoke their way when they are trying to relax. We were also SO HAPPY to see NO-SMOKING signs at the tables for the evening show - WAY TO GO RIU!!!! This was always a problem for us - you would sit down with a drink, ready to enjoy the show and then smokers would sit next to you and ruin your evening. Not anymore! What an awesome move by Riu, just amazing.
The staff that ran the RiuLand program and kids shows were lovely. Our son never did the day activities with them but he ran up for the kids "party" on stage every night. What a blast for him and great family memories.
Front desk - I had to call front desk three times, once for the rollaway, once because our toilet didn't seem to flush properly and once for more bottled water. Each request was followed through on within 30 minutes. Great service! And also again we were so happy to receive our room request.
Cabo - this trip we tried three restaurants in town, Lorenzillo's, Edith's and The Office on the Beach. Had a great time at each one - all had delicious food, great music and atmosphere.
Our Sunwing flight home was delayed by 6 hours but apparently this was due to fog and then a necessary crew change due to the delay - hey, we got an extra 6 (daytime) hours in Cabo so no complaints from us! Would rather the airline land safely and have a well-rested crew! The minute we heard that we would get on the bus at 6pm instead of noon, we left our bags with reception (as we were showered and packed) and jumped right on a cab for town... enjoyed an amazing 2 hour lunch at Lorenzillo's hanging over the marina, shopped, walked around, headed back to the hotel for magic hour cocktails staring out at the gorgeous rocks and then hopped on the bus. Who would complain? Sometimes you have to be glass half full... you're on vacation, life's not that bad : )
Staff that we remember:
* Hugo and Fabi working service at the dinner buffet restaurant were fantastic
* Julio at the (quiet) pool was just great with getting our drinks. Such energy! Came by often and even brought us drinks we didn't ask for just to try them
* Claudia and the RiuLand crew - so great with the kids!!
Few recommendations for the hotel:
- the shows start late... they start at 9:30 or 10pm. At other Riu's we have stayed at they start at 9 and that extra hour when you're tired from a day in the sun makes a difference.
- there are no longer any ashtrays at the lunch tables but they should put actual no-smoking signs like at the "show" tables.
- the beds are hard, yada yada yada
We will go again for sure! Having been three times, feel free to ask questions about the resort or Cabo San Lucas!
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Hotel
- Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Hotel Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Palace Cabo
- Riu Palace Los Cabos
- Riu Cabo San Lucas
- Riu Palace
- Riu Cabo
- Cabo San Lucas Riu Palace
- Riu Los Cabos
- Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas Los Cabos
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the southern Baja California peninsula, 4.5 km/2.8 miles from Cabo San Lucas. 5-storey building. On the beachfront. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. 32,000 m2 garden. 3.5 km/2.2 miles from downtown Cabo San Lucas. 40 km/25 miles from the airport. 500 m/1650 ft from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa, Diners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TIG Global, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Venere, Priceline and BookIt.com so you can book your Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.