“Cabo Christmas Getway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camino Viejo a San Jose | Del Cabo KM 4.5 El Medano Ejidal, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join us & get 1000 Points
Ranked #29 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Vancouver, Canada
“Cabo Christmas Getway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I was pretty happy with the service, food and the cleanliness of the hotel. If you want to get into any of the restaurants, book first thing in the morning. The Crystal restaurant is very good, but the portions are small. The decor is a bit dated but nice if you don't have huge expectations. The beds are really firm and the pillows are a bit thin. There were people of all ages from college kids to retirees. Good mix overall. The frat house party scene is next door at the Riu Sante Fe. I had a great time at the clubs downtown and hanging on the beach and at the pool. Its nice that there was 2 swim up pool options a relaxing one and active one. I would go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view - it will have a nice breeze. Cabo isn't not extremely hot.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (888)
  • Polish first
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I are here for Christmas holiday December 25-31 the ocean view suite is nice and clean. The tile flooring creates a problem with echoes from the rolling of the housekeepers carts to the echoes from the guests not practicing he use of their inside voices. To the clicks if their high heel. The doors slam and wake you from your sleep. Their must not be much insulating in the walls. I can here every conversation from guests passing by. My room 2040 is attached directly to a bridge and looks over he pool hat is wear much of he fan fare is coming and going at night .

The food has missed the mark, low grade even at their main dining room Krystal's. The wine selection. Is horrible reminds you very much of 2 buck chuck. The food is not prepared fresh it is prepared way ahead and my guess microwaved . I expected much more and paid for much more . I am truly underwhelmed .

The grounds are beautiful to get peace and quite it is easier to stay by the pool or beach.

The bar tender Miguel serves a good drink and friendly and a breath of fresh air.

The gym opens at 7 not 6 which it should because I gets quite crowded. The spa is pricey but the staff do a good job.

Rui needs a reality check and make some chances before I would return or recommend it to my fronds and colleagues

• Stayed December 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My family and I spent the week at Riu Palace (Ages 22, 25, 52, 54) Exceptional service, great view, amazing weather. This was a perfect Christmas vacation. Would recommend this to all ages. Very accommodating. Offer great amenities with ideal hours. Offer different food choices and you must make a reservation at restaurants. This made everything more personal and allows wait staff to service you at a higher level.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

The service overall was great! For the amount if money paid, I did not think the food or drinks were up to par. We enjoyed some outside activities which were fantastic! The rooms are musty and the weather is a bit chilly in Cabo. Overall I'd give the hotel a 3.

Tip: book your return shuttle to the airport at the resort. It's $15 pp rather than others that are $22 pp. The whale watching, parasailing and zip lining (if you're in shape and don't mind hiking) are additional activities to try.

• Stayed December 2012
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My wife and two adult children, and I spent 4 days and 3 nights (December 22 - 25, 2012). It was my wife, son, and I first experience at an all inclusive resort. We were impressed with the rooms, restaurants, and service.

We had an enjoining junior suite with twin double beds. The refrigerator was refilled every day. Wow!

We enjoyed the three dining places: El Menudo (breakfast and dinner), Mar de Cortes (lunch), and one night at the Misaki (Japanese restaurant). For Christmas Eve, it was an evening to behold for the ages. Afterwards, we attended a special Christmas show.

I was impressed with the staff working constantly on the premises. The place was nearly spotless.

I would recommend this place. There are all kinds of free activities. My wife and I just relaxed by the swimming pools (they have two large ones, plus jacuzzis, and children swimming pool.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor as it is on the main lobby. The elevator will take you to the first floor w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at Riu December 13-20,2012. We have stayed at many Rius over the years and have always opted for the palace. This Riu property should not rate as a palace in any way. Our first room was musty with an unbearable smell of smoke. Our next room was okay, but the pillows were horrible, flat and old, the television was something out of the 1970s and only half the channels worked - it also hummed all the time. AND we had bed bugs! On the bus back to the airport we heard similar complaints from several of the other guests. After speaking to the manager of the front desk about it and showing our bites she sent someone up to change the sheets and spray. I asked if it was safe to sleep in the room after spraying and she assured me it was. When we got back to the room, a large can of Raid was on the bureau and the room stank!
The buffet had the same food over and over again wich was very disappointing for a Palace. Worst food at any palace we have ever stayed at. The drinks were not premium as advertised. The rum was undrinkable - definitely not Bacardi as labelled. The wines were of a boxed vintage and very disappointing. Again not up to Palace standards. Could not get a reservation to the a la carte restaurants yet they were less than half full. Our maid did a good job of cleaning our room and turndown service at night was good. Our fridge in room was kept well stocked. We have been travelling to Mexico for 15 years and this definitely was the worst. In September we stayed at the Barcelo in San Jose del Cabo, our first ever Barcelo stay and it made the Riu Palace look like a 3 star in every way.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I were supposed to stay here for 6 days through Christmas 2012. However, on day 3 everything went downhill. We left the resort to go shopping. When we got back our hotel door was wide open and we noticed that our iPhone was missing from the room. Security came down and took apart our lock. The lock has a chip inside, and can be read with another device. The device said the maid was the last person to enter the room. So these security guys took this device to their boss. The boss called us into his office and told us that we were the only ones who checked into the room the entire day. So he had erased the maid checking in. My boyfriend and I walked out of his office and he chased after us while yelling at us. We told him that we wanted to leave and he mocked us saying there were no flights available and that we were stuck there. He turned the entire situation around and made us look like the bad guys. The only thing we are at fault for was not putting the iphone in the safe. We just thought the hotel staff was trustworthy.
That same night we were able to book a flight out of Mexico for the next morning. We spent that night sleeping with our clothes on and passports in hand because we were so scared. We were scared that (1) they would tell the Mexican authorities that we had somehow committed a crime and be thrown in jail or (2) they would take our passports and we would be stuck in Mexico.
I have been to Mexico at least once a year for the last 15 years. I loved Mexico until this happened. Please be careful if you stay here. Lock anything valuable in the safe.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!