“Christmas in Cabo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas B.C.S. - Baja California Sur, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #28 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“Christmas in Cabo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

My family and I spent the week at Riu Palace (Ages 22, 25, 52, 54) Exceptional service, great view, amazing weather. This was a perfect Christmas vacation. Would recommend this to all ages. Very accommodating. Offer great amenities with ideal hours. Offer different food choices and you must make a reservation at restaurants. This made everything more personal and allows wait staff to service you at a higher level.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (874)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

The service overall was great! For the amount if money paid, I did not think the food or drinks were up to par. We enjoyed some outside activities which were fantastic! The rooms are musty and the weather is a bit chilly in Cabo. Overall I'd give the hotel a 3.

Tip: book your return shuttle to the airport at the resort. It's $15 pp rather than others that are $22 pp. The whale watching, parasailing and zip lining (if you're in shape and don't mind hiking) are additional activities to try.

• Stayed December 2012
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My wife and two adult children, and I spent 4 days and 3 nights (December 22 - 25, 2012). It was my wife, son, and I first experience at an all inclusive resort. We were impressed with the rooms, restaurants, and service.

We had an enjoining junior suite with twin double beds. The refrigerator was refilled every day. Wow!

We enjoyed the three dining places: El Menudo (breakfast and dinner), Mar de Cortes (lunch), and one night at the Misaki (Japanese restaurant). For Christmas Eve, it was an evening to behold for the ages. Afterwards, we attended a special Christmas show.

I was impressed with the staff working constantly on the premises. The place was nearly spotless.

I would recommend this place. There are all kinds of free activities. My wife and I just relaxed by the swimming pools (they have two large ones, plus jacuzzis, and children swimming pool.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor as it is on the main lobby. The elevator will take you to the first floor w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at Riu December 13-20,2012. We have stayed at many Rius over the years and have always opted for the palace. This Riu property should not rate as a palace in any way. Our first room was musty with an unbearable smell of smoke. Our next room was okay, but the pillows were horrible, flat and old, the television was something out of the 1970s and only half the channels worked - it also hummed all the time. AND we had bed bugs! On the bus back to the airport we heard similar complaints from several of the other guests. After speaking to the manager of the front desk about it and showing our bites she sent someone up to change the sheets and spray. I asked if it was safe to sleep in the room after spraying and she assured me it was. When we got back to the room, a large can of Raid was on the bureau and the room stank!
The buffet had the same food over and over again wich was very disappointing for a Palace. Worst food at any palace we have ever stayed at. The drinks were not premium as advertised. The rum was undrinkable - definitely not Bacardi as labelled. The wines were of a boxed vintage and very disappointing. Again not up to Palace standards. Could not get a reservation to the a la carte restaurants yet they were less than half full. Our maid did a good job of cleaning our room and turndown service at night was good. Our fridge in room was kept well stocked. We have been travelling to Mexico for 15 years and this definitely was the worst. In September we stayed at the Barcelo in San Jose del Cabo, our first ever Barcelo stay and it made the Riu Palace look like a 3 star in every way.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

My boyfriend and I were supposed to stay here for 6 days through Christmas 2012. However, on day 3 everything went downhill. We left the resort to go shopping. When we got back our hotel door was wide open and we noticed that our iPhone was missing from the room. Security came down and took apart our lock. The lock has a chip inside, and can be read with another device. The device said the maid was the last person to enter the room. So these security guys took this device to their boss. The boss called us into his office and told us that we were the only ones who checked into the room the entire day. So he had erased the maid checking in. My boyfriend and I walked out of his office and he chased after us while yelling at us. We told him that we wanted to leave and he mocked us saying there were no flights available and that we were stuck there. He turned the entire situation around and made us look like the bad guys. The only thing we are at fault for was not putting the iphone in the safe. We just thought the hotel staff was trustworthy.
That same night we were able to book a flight out of Mexico for the next morning. We spent that night sleeping with our clothes on and passports in hand because we were so scared. We were scared that (1) they would tell the Mexican authorities that we had somehow committed a crime and be thrown in jail or (2) they would take our passports and we would be stuck in Mexico.
I have been to Mexico at least once a year for the last 15 years. I loved Mexico until this happened. Please be careful if you stay here. Lock anything valuable in the safe.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

What can I say about this hotel? This hotel is in desperate need of a remodeling in every way and an attitude adjustment with staff. There is no consistency with staff, food or drinks. We had high and low points of our trip. Our low points outweighed the high points. The hotel is clean but if they stopped cleaning and spent some money on a facelit, it would mean the world of a difference. This would range from the uniforms of the front desk people to the pictures on the walls of the hallways and rooms to the furnishings all around the hotel.

-The furniture in the rooms is old and covered with mold and mildew. The comforter is orange and doesn’t look like it has been cleaned/changed between guests. The curtains are faded and moldy.
-The pool towels have stains all over them and are very raggedy. Most of the lounge chairs are broken and the mats for the lounge chairs are dirty.
-Each week, the hotel had a survey night where they brought in a company to hand out surveys at dinnertime in the large buffet. You could automatically see service stepped up. Immediately following the surveys the next day, service and quality dropped to a minimum.
Cleaning/Maid Service:
- When we arrived, we were greeted with a swarm of massive bat moths and white/black butterflies in our room. The cleaning staff had a difficult time helping us try to get them out. When we mentioned this to the staff, they acted as if they didn’t know what we were talking about or that they hadn’t heard about it before. We had killed 4 black moths in our bathroom in our first hour of being there. For the length of our stay, the remains of the moths were still plastered on our bathroom walls. That was an indication of the minimal cleaning that was done in our room.
-When requesting additional items in the room, the maid’s supervisor disregarded our requests because she didn’t speak English. She walked away from us as we were asking.
-We tipped the maid every day however the maid decided that she didn’t accept coin pesos. She would only accept the tip if it is was in paper form, which was very rude.
-She barely cleaned the room. She wiped down the sinks but left the toothpaste residue on the faucets. There were no additions to the room cleaning except the basics.
-A lot of the pillars in the lobby bar and theater areas were plastered with hundreds of white butterflies. It took the staff 2-3 days to clean them.
-There is one housekeeper that is in the lobby bar in the late afternoon that was very rude. She would ring out the cloth with the dirty water/bleach right next to your chair and mop under your table while sitting. While doing this, she was sloshing the water at your feet.
Entertainment:
-There is a huge turnover rate for the entertainment staff and a lack of motivation to get people involved. We would meet one entertainment staff one day and then we would hear that that person would leave or get “demoted” to Riu Santa Fe. This happened 3 or 4 times throughout our stay.
-There was absolutely NO consistency with staff or activities. If it was a quieter day at the pool, the staff would do the bare minimum.
-A lot of the activities that are planned are very “competitive”. More people would get involved if there were more activities that aren’t as competitive.
- The water balloon fights that the entertainment staff had at the party pool has to be eliminated. These caused huge fights and there was no comfort sitting around the pool during this time because people were throwing the balloons outside the pool.
-One of the entertainment staff, Lorena, was very rude when speaking to her. She was very cocky with herself.
-Nora made our stay very pleasurable and fun. She would greet us when we arrived in the pool area every day.
Bar/Restaurant:
-The drinks were inconsistent in terms of the soda in the drinks and the strength of the drinks. The soda coming out of the gun was typically flat which made the drinks gross.
-We watched one of the bartenders spike drinks. Within 10 minutes, the people left and were not seen for 2 days.
-The bartenders were inconsistent and moved around constantly. In terms of service at the theater bar and the lobby bar, no tipping equals poor service. We would tip after each round of drinks but the bartenders didn’t feel that that was enough. Toward the end of our trip, if they didn’t get the tips that they thought they deserved, they ignored us.
-One bartender, Benjamin, was very abrupt and abrasive. He didn’t greet us when we approached the bar and was very short when we asked for a drink.
-The captains in the restaurant were very pleasant and accommodated us in any way possible.

SPA:
-way overpriced and not worth the money
-I had a pedicure and the therapist didn't give any type of drying service (i.e. fan). She ushered me out of the spa immediately after painting my toe nails. When I was walking up the stairs to my room, I bumped my toe and smudged my nail polish. When I went back to get it fixed, the receptionist was not very accomodating or apologetic. After she spoke with a therapist to see if they could fix the polish on the nail, she informed me that if I wanted to get it fixed I would have to wait at least 10 minutes. I waited 15 minutes to have one nail re-painted. Even after fixing the polish on that nail, the therapist tried to usher me out of the salon immediately again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Just came back from a week stay at the RIU and the stay was AMAZING!!! We stayed at room 4012 and the room was very clean. A little aged but it didn't matter as we were really only using it to shower and sleep. The bed was ok and could have used better pillows. They cleaned our room twice a day and gave us extra towels in the evening with chocolate kisses. Cleanliness of the resort was superb. I was shocked. Every time I went to the bathroom there was someone cleaning in there. The food is better than I experienced at other all inclusive resorts. Dessert could have been better. But with such great food as the main course there wasn't much room left for dessert. The staff at the resort works very hard and the service at the buffet, restaurants, and bar was superb. The only complaint I had was when I was checking out of the resort. There was a bit of a wait even with 4 staff at the counter. Only 2 guests were there. I had to repeat myself over and over again because they were too distracted (the guy was helping two people at once). When I finally had all his attention he accused me of only giving him one towel card. I was annoyed by this point and stated that he took both towel and room cards and the safety box key all at the same time when he was talking to the other guest. He said ok but charged us for a call that we had already paid for. but because we didn't get a receipt we had to pay again. It was only 20 pesos so we paid but make sure you get a receipt for EVERYTHING you pay for. Other than that the stay was amazing. Would stay here again.

Stayed December 2012

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!