“Probably won't return” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas B.C.S. - Baja California Sur, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Special Offer
Ranked #27 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Manhattan, Illinois
“Probably won't return”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

First the bad things,check in, pools, kiddie pools. check in was horrible, people where rude, very short with us, told us our room wouldn't be ready for a couple of more hours, it was two in the afternoon. Gave horrible directions on how to get around with a stroller. about our room not being ready we walked away excepting that our room wasn't ready nothing at that point we could do about it. the bell hop said he would take our bags to our room and just put them in the closet while they finished cleaning. we followed him to our room which was finished being cleaned and even had the pack and play for our 16 month old set up. so we went back to the front desk to ask for our keys and they again with attitude told us that the room wasn't ready. I explained to them that i was already in our room and it was complete. don't get a room off of the lobby, this was the first room we had which sounded great. until the nightly entertainment started, followed by the nightly drunks, and cleaning noise. they did move us with out arguments. now for the "kiddie pools". these pools are about the equivalant to a 10 to 12 person hot tub. the water is 1.97 feet deep. which was too deep for my son and many other small children there to even use. and one of the two was actually filled with adults drinking because the big pools where so cold. the big pools are nice as there is a quiet pool and an activity pool. but the first three days the water was so cold barely anyone was in the pools. after the pool warmed up we were able to let my son play by the chairs in the water. the restuarants are not worth making the reservations for. the buffet was plenty good for an all inclusive. we did enjoy eating there especially with our son. overall everyone was very friendly, and the resort was clean. the beds where hard. walls in hotel are very thin hear alot of noise from hallways.

Room Tip: dont get room near lobby very noisy.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

4,136 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (842)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Pros: great property which is cleaned almost constantly by a vigilant staff. Bartenders and staff are friendly event to those who doesn't speak fluent spanish.
Cons: room service is beyond terrible (club sandwich is the only option one can eat). Drinks are watered down, but then again it is probably for the best at a resort that costs the same all inclusive as a normal Conrad or JW in the States.
Being me second time at this resort I did not dine in the restaurants, but rather the Buffett and Santa Fe for the reception. They were adequate, but not as good as the food I had my first time there.
Beware of ATM fees- got stuck with a 24 USD surcharge on a simple ATM withdrawal, but then again chalk it up to user error as I was enjoying Piña y Vodkas.
If you're on a budget I recommend...but if you want to do it right then head to a chain and dine/drink at the local establishments.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view. First time there I tipped and got a nice one, this time I tried to tip and they...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The hotel has fantastic view and facilities. Room is clean except there is no light at the bathtub and the fridge is noisy. Great entertainment activities. However, please expect the services are extremely SLOW!! If you ever need any changes to be made by the hotel, please expect you will need to wait at least 30 minutes to an hour waiting time. I had to go to the reception desk twice for them to figure out that my room's lock was out of battery. I had been waiting for the maintenance guy an hour to get the master key and to get him figuring out the problem. I was tired and I wanted to go to my room and get a shower. I wasn't expecting that I had to wait for an hour to get into my room after a long day. I would have to say you cannot expect the professionalism and excellence from this hotel. I spent 5 days there and never see a manager are working on site.
I am not satisfied with their customer service. The first time I went to the reception desk about the door would not open, the staff could blame it on me putting the card key too close to my credit card and my phone, it would de-magnify the card key. Where would you put it then? I don't want to lose it and pay for another 250 pesos for that.
Overall, the hotel is nice. It will be fine if you have not caught into anything that needs to be changed. The hotel has great selection and varieties in food except qualities are not that great. I have tried the food at the Marinar (Downtown), they are much nicer although it's pricy (WORTH it !!). I am sure the hotel can do much better in management as such one of the largest hotel.

Room Tip: Level 3 and 4 are the ocean views. Level 0, 1, and 2 are garden view and the garden view not as grea...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Stevens Point
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was our first visit to Cabo. The Riu was wonderful. We had no delays checking in, and our room was even ready early. We had a jr. suite; great view. The room was very clean and nice. The grounds and pools are well maintained. The staff is wonderful. The food was excellent with a great selection. The entertainment was phenomenal. The Palace was well worth the extra cost over the Santa Fe. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We had a free upgrade to a jr. suite. I would happily pay the extra for this type of room. I think...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Carrollton, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Riu Palace October 28 to November 2 of this year. We absolutely loved it! Our room wasn't ready when we arrived so we had a couple of cocktails at the bar while we waited. The view of the ocean and Land's End from the lobby is unbelievable. It's so peaceful and relaxing. Our room was on the first floor - very conveniently located for the pools, restaurants, etc. We enjoyed the food at the different restaurants - no complaints about any of them. The hotel staff was always extremely helpful. I've read some of the negative reviews about this hotel and I think those people would probably have a bad time wherever they went. If you have a good attitude and realize you're in a more laid back place, you'll have a great time. We plan on staying here again next year.

Room Tip: We liked our room on the first floor - it was easy to get to everything.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Terrific 14 days at RIU Palace. Top of my list : - wonderful staff and an incredible quality of customer service - we were impressed. My wife's school-days Spanish was an Amazing Advantage - we had, and we were TOLD we had a very different experience to the normal BECAUSE of the willingness to make an effort to speak Spanish - do your community college classes before coming. Pluses - superb staff and high standards of accommodation, food and facilities. Negatives - not safe to swim, NO in-house shuttle to town ( stupid $$ by cab), lousy house band with tacky midi tracks. Compared to cruise ships- we soon ran through the activities and then had to be creative- travel to other places or just do what a lot of people did - drink till stupid. Positives : staff and food and facilities and the show dancers - wow!
Negatives - soon became stir crazy, not enough sophisticated activities, some stuff was amateurish, tempting ocean that is dangerous.
If you want safe food, alcohol a-plenty, great staff and lots of human flesh - this is it. If you want meaningful culture - go somewhere else. 8 out of 10 -- LiamGtr6 Canada

• Stayed November 2012
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Had a wonderful stay here, Rooms were clean and staff were very friendly. The beach was not great for swimming as the surf was rough and we were told it was not recommended. Great location as it faces Lands End Rock . went snorkling there ,great trip from the Marina, wonderful beaches at this location. Attented Mexican flee market near by. Many cruise ships in harbor. Hotel offered great Entertainment each evening and during the day the bar boys were very attentive around the pools. Food was good, Buffet offered a good variety. Would return again!

Room Tip: Ocean view from 2nd and third floor amazing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!