“Do not expect too much” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

Save Saved
You added Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Camino Viejo a San Jose | Cabo San Lucas B.C.S. - Baja California Sur, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Early Winter Specials
Ranked #28 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Vancouver
“Do not expect too much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The hotel has fantastic view and facilities. Room is clean except there is no light at the bathtub and the fridge is noisy. Great entertainment activities. However, please expect the services are extremely SLOW!! If you ever need any changes to be made by the hotel, please expect you will need to wait at least 30 minutes to an hour waiting time. I had to go to the reception desk twice for them to figure out that my room's lock was out of battery. I had been waiting for the maintenance guy an hour to get the master key and to get him figuring out the problem. I was tired and I wanted to go to my room and get a shower. I wasn't expecting that I had to wait for an hour to get into my room after a long day. I would have to say you cannot expect the professionalism and excellence from this hotel. I spent 5 days there and never see a manager are working on site.
I am not satisfied with their customer service. The first time I went to the reception desk about the door would not open, the staff could blame it on me putting the card key too close to my credit card and my phone, it would de-magnify the card key. Where would you put it then? I don't want to lose it and pay for another 250 pesos for that.
Overall, the hotel is nice. It will be fine if you have not caught into anything that needs to be changed. The hotel has great selection and varieties in food except qualities are not that great. I have tried the food at the Marinar (Downtown), they are much nicer although it's pricy (WORTH it !!). I am sure the hotel can do much better in management as such one of the largest hotel.

Room Tip: Level 3 and 4 are the ocean views. Level 0, 1, and 2 are garden view and the garden view not as grea...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (874)
  • Polish first
Stevens Point
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was our first visit to Cabo. The Riu was wonderful. We had no delays checking in, and our room was even ready early. We had a jr. suite; great view. The room was very clean and nice. The grounds and pools are well maintained. The staff is wonderful. The food was excellent with a great selection. The entertainment was phenomenal. The Palace was well worth the extra cost over the Santa Fe. We can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: We had a free upgrade to a jr. suite. I would happily pay the extra for this type of room. I think...
Carrollton, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Riu Palace October 28 to November 2 of this year. We absolutely loved it! Our room wasn't ready when we arrived so we had a couple of cocktails at the bar while we waited. The view of the ocean and Land's End from the lobby is unbelievable. It's so peaceful and relaxing. Our room was on the first floor - very conveniently located for the pools, restaurants, etc. We enjoyed the food at the different restaurants - no complaints about any of them. The hotel staff was always extremely helpful. I've read some of the negative reviews about this hotel and I think those people would probably have a bad time wherever they went. If you have a good attitude and realize you're in a more laid back place, you'll have a great time. We plan on staying here again next year.

Room Tip: We liked our room on the first floor - it was easy to get to everything.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Terrific 14 days at RIU Palace. Top of my list : - wonderful staff and an incredible quality of customer service - we were impressed. My wife's school-days Spanish was an Amazing Advantage - we had, and we were TOLD we had a very different experience to the normal BECAUSE of the willingness to make an effort to speak Spanish - do your community college classes before coming. Pluses - superb staff and high standards of accommodation, food and facilities. Negatives - not safe to swim, NO in-house shuttle to town ( stupid $$ by cab), lousy house band with tacky midi tracks. Compared to cruise ships- we soon ran through the activities and then had to be creative- travel to other places or just do what a lot of people did - drink till stupid. Positives : staff and food and facilities and the show dancers - wow!
Negatives - soon became stir crazy, not enough sophisticated activities, some stuff was amateurish, tempting ocean that is dangerous.
If you want safe food, alcohol a-plenty, great staff and lots of human flesh - this is it. If you want meaningful culture - go somewhere else. 8 out of 10 -- LiamGtr6 Canada

• Stayed November 2012
Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Had a wonderful stay here, Rooms were clean and staff were very friendly. The beach was not great for swimming as the surf was rough and we were told it was not recommended. Great location as it faces Lands End Rock . went snorkling there ,great trip from the Marina, wonderful beaches at this location. Attented Mexican flee market near by. Many cruise ships in harbor. Hotel offered great Entertainment each evening and during the day the bar boys were very attentive around the pools. Food was good, Buffet offered a good variety. Would return again!

Room Tip: Ocean view from 2nd and third floor amazing!
Langley City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at the RIU Palace in January 2012 with 7 other friends. As a Travel Agent I can say this is one of the nicest resorts I've been to. The grounds were kept very clean, as were the rooms. We found the staff to be incredibly nice, fun and accommodating. One of my friends was celebrating her birthday while we were there and the staff went above and beyond to get a cake from the kitchen and surprise us with it along with a bottle of champagne. The food was sensational in all of the A la Carte's, as well as the Buffett Resaurant, especially on Chinese night. I have never seen so much sushi at one time! The lay-out of the resort is fantastic with 2 pool, separated by the "snack bar" lunch buffet. One was the "party" pool, the other the "quiet" pool. I would HIGHLY recommend this resort and I look forward to going back. Flight Centre - Susan Spurr - Unbeatable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was our first trip to Cabo. We have gone to Playa del Carmen for years and wanted to try the west coast.
The hotel lobby was very busy when we arrived at 5:30 PM and checking in was a nightmare. The front desk has 4 or 5 employees who all have to go and wait in line to get a room assignment one guest at a time from one person, Oscar, who is looking at a list of rooms, and reservations. We opened the door to first room assignment and walked in to a room under construction. I called the front desk and was told to come back and speak to Oscar. We returned to the front desk and got in line with at least 5 other couples waiting to get a second room assignment from Oscar because several of them had been given rooms that were already occupied. This took an excruciating 90 minutes because all the new checking in guests also had to wait for Oscar to give them an initial room assignment from this list he was looking at. The other employees were just standing there waiting along with all the guests because only Oscar had the list. We finally got to our room at 8 PM. We heard this same check in nightmare from other guests the entire week. I would hope that Riu corporate would step in and fix the antiquated system they are using to assign rooms.

The rest of our stay was wonderful. The food in the restaurants was very good and we liked that most of the dinner options were not buffets. The pools are beautiful although, we thought they should be open later than 7 PM, and the swim up bars don't open till 10 AM. There is only one set of rest rooms for the entire 4 swimming pools and is inside a restaurant which means you need to dry off and cover up to go to the rest room. We found that quite inconvenient because we like to drink. The drinks were great, and the service was always good. We loved catching the water taxies on the beach and the sea lions were a riot. The food in town was great and the relaxing, laid back , non-touristy feel of Cabo was refreshing. I would definitely recommend vacationing in Cabo and would recommend this hotel, just bring your patience for check in.

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th floors have better views. The jacuzzi suites have a spiral staircase to a private roof t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!