“One of the nicest Resorts I've been too. Flight Centre - Susan Spurr - Unbeatable” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas

You added Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas to your Saves list
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Av. Camino Viejo a San Jose | Del Cabo KM 4.5 El Medano Ejidal, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Join us & get 500 Points
Ranked #24 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Langley City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at the RIU Palace in January 2012 with 7 other friends. As a Travel Agent I can say this is one of the nicest resorts I've been to. The grounds were kept very clean, as were the rooms. We found the staff to be incredibly nice, fun and accommodating. One of my friends was celebrating her birthday while we were there and the staff went above and beyond to get a cake from the kitchen and surprise us with it along with a bottle of champagne. The food was sensational in all of the A la Carte's, as well as the Buffett Resaurant, especially on Chinese night. I have never seen so much sushi at one time! The lay-out of the resort is fantastic with 2 pool, separated by the "snack bar" lunch buffet. One was the "party" pool, the other the "quiet" pool. I would HIGHLY recommend this resort and I look forward to going back. Flight Centre - Susan Spurr - Unbeatable.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,023)
  • Polish first
Olympia, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

This was our first trip to Cabo. We have gone to Playa del Carmen for years and wanted to try the west coast.
The hotel lobby was very busy when we arrived at 5:30 PM and checking in was a nightmare. The front desk has 4 or 5 employees who all have to go and wait in line to get a room assignment one guest at a time from one person, Oscar, who is looking at a list of rooms, and reservations. We opened the door to first room assignment and walked in to a room under construction. I called the front desk and was told to come back and speak to Oscar. We returned to the front desk and got in line with at least 5 other couples waiting to get a second room assignment from Oscar because several of them had been given rooms that were already occupied. This took an excruciating 90 minutes because all the new checking in guests also had to wait for Oscar to give them an initial room assignment from this list he was looking at. The other employees were just standing there waiting along with all the guests because only Oscar had the list. We finally got to our room at 8 PM. We heard this same check in nightmare from other guests the entire week. I would hope that Riu corporate would step in and fix the antiquated system they are using to assign rooms.

The rest of our stay was wonderful. The food in the restaurants was very good and we liked that most of the dinner options were not buffets. The pools are beautiful although, we thought they should be open later than 7 PM, and the swim up bars don't open till 10 AM. There is only one set of rest rooms for the entire 4 swimming pools and is inside a restaurant which means you need to dry off and cover up to go to the rest room. We found that quite inconvenient because we like to drink. The drinks were great, and the service was always good. We loved catching the water taxies on the beach and the sea lions were a riot. The food in town was great and the relaxing, laid back , non-touristy feel of Cabo was refreshing. I would definitely recommend vacationing in Cabo and would recommend this hotel, just bring your patience for check in.

Room Tip: 3rd and 4th floors have better views. The jacuzzi suites have a spiral staircase to a private roof t...
Victoria Beach, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We had a Jr suit ocean view. The room was clean and serviced daily. The food was better than expected, actually I am very picky, but the food was generally very good. Yes I would go back, and
as a matter of fact I am in the process of booking another stay there as we speak.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We went as a group of 5 couples to the Riu Palace in early November for a long weekend getaway. We booked thru Apple, and had a fantastic time. Did a TON of research for months before deciding on this property, and everyone was glad I did! There are not a lot of all inclusive options in Cabo, but this one is all you need. Good food, amazing service, tons of options. Drinks are bit watered down, but all you have to do is ask for a doubleshot. We enjoyed hanging out in the 24 hour lobby bar for pre-dinner drinks. They make great flavored martini's, ask that they use Absolut! Pools were a bit crowded, but we got most of our sun laying by the beach anyway so we didn't mind - we tipped the servers so got awesome service at the beach!
We took a water taxi to town, spent some time shopping there. We also rented jet skis to go see the arches and lovers beach and had a blast.
Rooms were fine, typical Mexican resort. Clean, well stocked fridge, nothing stolen. I like soft beds and was nervous given all the bad reviews, but we slept fine the whole trip.
Food - Krystal and Misaki were great! Didn't care for the Mexican restaurant and didn't try the others. Buffet had plenty options to keep us full.
The boys went fishing and caught some great Mahi, which we were able to bring home very easily. All in all, a fantastic trip and I can't wait to return!

Revelstoke, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just wanted to say we travelled to the Rui Palace Nov 2012. We were 3 couples, mid 20's-40. The Rui was overall very good, but Cabo as a location is the best. Ocean was swimable, nightlife awesome and weather perfect. I have been to Cancun, PV and Playa Del Carmen and Cabo as a destination is tops! One thing I found strange was the lack of English that the workers at the palace and in Cabo spoke in general...I was a bit worried about the Rui's restaurants as per previous posts but all were good and we had no problems making reso's.The main buffet was very good too. Overall for the cost Rui doesn't disappoint and is worth the extra $ rather than the Sante Fe. Mandala is an awesome club uptown, Cabo Wabo is Ok, a bit of a cougar crowd though and Squid Ro is worth a stop too. Shopping is good, quality stores with selection you don't find at home and reasonable prices...

Room Tip: If you want quiet as for 4th floor and with 1 bed not 2 pushed together.
American Fork, UT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Just got back from an awesome vacation.

Pro's: Food for the most part was top notch. We enjoyed each of the resturants and the buffet. Servers went around getting you drinks while you laid out at the pool. Wifi is through out the hotel you just need a password to access it 24/7. They also have access to a 90 min free wifi in the main lobby. We were able to use our t-mobile phones over the wifi to make calls home for free. So glad we upgraded to the Riu Palace over the Santa Fe!!! All local's on the beach selling items have to have a license. The police checked them regularly. Beach deals appeared to be better than the flee market. Probably because they dont have overhead. Baby sea turtles hatched on 11/7/2012 right on the beach directly out from the West pool area. Once in a life time experience.

Con's: Bring your own Ketchup. Mexican Ketchup is different.
It would help to know spanish. Some servers knew english some just smiled and said yes. Wifi doesn't reach out to the pool area (at least in my experience). Your only allowed one device logged into the wifi at a time (with the exception of the daily free 90 min in the main lobby) Once you login to the free wifi it starts the 90 min. If you log out the 90 min keeps going (it's consecutive).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Just got back from a 4 day, 3 night trip at the Riu Palace. Did a lot of research before the trip and actually had a reservation at the Santa fe and I am glad we switched. Just a heads up we booked directly with Riu's toll free number and got a better deal then what was being advertised through all the travel sites and with Riu.com. We just got a standard room witha king bed, and half the view was the ocean and garden, at nearly $200 less than what the website had for a garden view jr. Suite. having a view was not a priority for us as we did not plan on spending much time in the room and got the best ocean view by the pool

Paid for transfers but had issues at the airport as we could not find our ride, but a taxi for two was only $30. If you paid for a transfer double check as our shuttle was contracted with hotelbeds.com and were able to catch it back to the airport. Ignor the timeshare traps and just head out the second doors to transportation. Flew out on terminal two and was way great, with added duty free shopping and fast food places. If you need extra trinkets they have stores for it at the terminal.

As for the hotel, had easy checkin with yummy rum punch. They took luggage to the room for you, which was nice as it was a bit of a walk. Room was decent with a tiny musty smell, but I new about this from other postings. Noticed more of it when we got home as all of our cloths smelt like the beach, including the ones we did not wear. Alchohol in the room with lots of bottled water which was always restocked. Bed was not two terrible and room got cool with a/c on.

Food was decent but was not expecting much. I live in Arizona where we have tons of true 4 and 5 star properties. Resort and food are not Four Seasons or JW Marriott quality so don't expect it. However I am somewhat picky and was able to find something at all times. We did the buffet for breakfast and mostly stuck to omlets, fruits and breads. But they have a lot of options. I enjoy dunkin donuts coffee, so was disappointed with the hotels coffee, but again you are in Mexico, food and beverages are different. Did not find issues with the reservation system but we are early birds anyways. We got reservations to all restaurants, but did not make it for Mexican as we had too much fun at the pool and did not want to leave to get ready. I liked the steak house but not a Ruth Chris, so don't expect that, and the Japanese place, as the sushi wasn't too bad. Krystal was ok, had a late reservation though so was too tired to really enjoy it. I am a dessert lover, and the selections were sub par, in my opinion Krystal had the best desserts, followed but the steak house.

Stayed mostly at the activity pool by the swim up bar. Did not have issues finding chairs, but sometimes the location wasn't what I wanted. I am NOT a big drinker and was definitely feeling good after a few daiquiris, and other tropical drinks. Husband did a lot of bourbon and cokes at the pool, and he is a big drinker and was feeling good always. You can ask for extra liquor too! The wait staff was great and was very accommodating and at your service very quickly.

We tipped a lot and was disappointed we did not see others tipping. I understand it is all inclusive but please tip they work hard for you and probably don't make much as it is. We mostly tipped at the pool and after dinner. I brought both US bills and Pesos. They can get smaller pesos for you but I don't think they can exchange for dollars, so bring smaller bills for tipping.

Met some great people that were on our flight out that we hung out with. We took a cab ride to the marina and walked around to buy trinkets. Ate at the Office which was a restaurant on the beach. Great food and drinks, but the view of the arches was mostly distorted buy the locals selling their wares. Took a water taxi to the arches which brought us back to the Riu beach for$12 each.

This was our first all inclusive stay and our first trip to Cabo, we had a blast and will for sure come back as it was a great time and fully met our expectations. Only 4 marks as there were a few inconsistencies with the hotel. I did a lot of research and I think this place was a great value for what we paid, for decent food, and a beautiful view of Lands End.

Room Tip: Call Riu directly as some of the basic rooms were not advertised online and I don't think you ge...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas? Share your experiences!