“Great place for a time share” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club

You added Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club to your Saves list
Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Corredor Turistico Km. 10, Lote D | Cabo Del Sol, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Ranked #10 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great place for a time share”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Great place to injoy the sun on the beach.Great staff. Some of the food places were OK but over all it was great.
We had a 3 bedroom that could sleep 10 people.
The only negitve would be that they should have hair driers in all the bedrooms.
To bad that we can only go thier every 4 years through our time share.
Great place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
ctrujillo, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear JJGS:
Thank you for your wonderful review and recommendation! Describing your visit as “Great Place for a time share” is true high praise and very much appreciated.
Thank you as well for your wonderful comments about the staff and the service that they provide. They all truly enjoy what they do and I am always so happy when their efforts are recognized by our guests. Your kind comments are being shared with all of them! Also I kindly want to let you know that all our suites has been equipped with hair dryer in each bathroom, all the comments that we hear from our dear guests, are very valuable to us, and it keeps us focused. We apologize this inconvenience.
We look forward to welcoming you back once again in the near future! Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with everyone on Trip Advisor.

Regards
Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Lafayette Hill, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Hacienda del Mar is on a large planned community of hotels, golf courses and residences called Cabo del Sol. Hacienda del Mar is adjacent to and shares facilities with a Sheraton hotel. There are 2 golf courses on the property, a not to be missed Jack Nicklaus design ocean course, and a Weiskopf design desert course.

Unfortunately, the rental car agent sent us to the wrong development, but eventually we found the place. The entrance to Cabo del Sol from the main highway #1 is accessed via a tough to see exit up and left to a bridge across the highway.

Check in was smooth, although our room request for a high room in a newer building with washer and dryer and view could not be accomodated. However, our room, though a few steps down and on the ground floor, was very convenient to the pools and restaurants. On check in, we declined the free breakfast with the time share sales crew, unloaded our luggage and went to dinner at Girasoles Restaurant, on the fourth floor of the building adjacent to ours. The service and food was excellent, and lots of families celebrating Xmas eve together. Decor and cuisine was traditional Mexican.

Our suite was very spacious and accomodating. In the entry hall was a large double closet with safe. Living room had a large sofa with firm cushion which was about the size of a full size bed, 2 chairs and a coffee table, and dining table with 4 chairs. The living room and bedroom each opened to a patio with 2 padded loungers, and 2 chairs and a small table, but no dining table outside. We looked into a garden, but above the plantings we could see the Sea of Cortez. The living room also had a chest holding a flat screen TV.

The bedroom had 2 very comfy queen beds, a night table in between, chest of drawers and flat screen TV. In one corner of the bedrooom near the bathroom was a jacuzzi tub, and there were also 2 closets in the bedroom.

Bathroom had a single sink, shower, and was well supplied with shampoos, soaps, towels, and hair dryer, with a separate room with toilet.

The kitchen had a small, but full size refrigerator, adequate dishes and flatware for a small family, stainless steel sink, microwave, coffee maker, toaster oven, toaster, blender, and 2 top stove. It was perfect for breakfasts, snacks and light meals.

The decor of Hacienda del Mar matched its name--Mexican hacienda style, unlike the fortress architecture of other, larger resorts we've visited. The beach was long and wide, but because of steep drop off and currents, not recommended for swimming.

There are ample cushioned lounges at the beach and pools, but everyone ignores the signs prohibiting saving of chairs. All the chairs were staked out early every morning. The guests seemed to enjoy most of the pool activities, especially water aerobics class every morning at 10, which grew each day we were there.

I cannot be more complimentary about the friendliness of the staff at Hacienda del Mar. They are obviously chosen and trained to emphasize treating resort guests as just that--guests. Virtually every staff member greeted each guest with a smile, and did whatever he or she could to accomodate, and management should be proud of how well the staff represents the resort.

We did not use the fitness center or health spa, but they appeared to be clean and well equipped.

On site internet services was reasonably reliable, and priced in accordance with market for hotels these days--about $13.00 per day.

The resort is well located at KM 10 on the highway, so it is a short drive to both Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo--10 km one way and 20 km the other. The nearest full size supermarket is a WalMart just before reaching

Restaurant choices on site were good, and with only a couple of exceptions, the food was outstanding, and priced what one would expect at a resort. Girasoles is the Mexican restaurant, where we had our first dinner and our last breakfast. The breakfast is a great bargain--US$16.50 per person, all you can eat from the breakfast a la carte menu, not buffet style. Dinner entrees were in the $15-$25 range, and I had a perfectly prepared grilled yellowtail filet for our first dinner.

Pitahaya is the upscale Pacific Rim restaurant, very elegant with live music, and an unusual menu. Everything we had was outstanding.

Tomatoes is the restaurant closest to the Sheraton which shares the property with the timeshare, and is primarily buffet style. We had the buffet breakfast there for $25 per person. The food and service were fine, but nothing to recommend it instead of Girasole, except some more selections on the buffet. We also had dinner here one night, and there is a different buffet theme each night.

Our only disappointing meals on site were tasteless hamburgers at Tomatoes and served by the pool, and at the DeCortez Steak House. After a perfect vodka gimlet and foie gras appetizer, I was very disappointed with my 14 oz rib eye steak and truffle oil mashed potatoes. The price was almost comparable to Capital Grille or Ruth's Chris ($566 pesos--about $43), and it was a thin cut, gristly and tough. I've had better steaks at Applebees. To top it off, our carafe of decaf was bitter and undrinkable. The server who brought the decaf expressed appropriate regret, as did the hostess when I honestly answered here question as to how we like everything. She did offer to have us back another night, but since we were leaving the next morning, it was of no use to us.

If you play golf, Hacienda del Mar is a great choice. The Ocean course is not to be missed, but expensive--twilight rate is $195, including cart, use of range, water in carts, and taco snack at the turn. The staff is accomodating, and conditions great. Pace of play was surprisingly good. My first round, the twosome I was paired with did not show, and I zipped around the first 10 holes until I caught a husband and wife twosome, and still finished in about 4 hours. My second round was an uncharacteristically rainy day in Cabo, and our twosome was released during a gap in play a few minutes before 1. Another twosome caught us and joined us for a few holes, before the rain chased them. We finished this round in 3:50.

All in all, I think Hacienda del Mar Cabo San Lucas is my new favorite RCI resort. It's great for families and couples; if you are looking for a bar scene, clubs or nightlife, this may not be the place for you. However, if you like to relax and feel at home in a beautiful location, surrounded by beautiful scenery on your vacation, this might be your happy place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ctrujillo, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Ehollin:
Wow!! What a wonderful review! It is a pleasure to hear we achieved our goal of providing the ultimate service and guest experience. For the whole team It was truly our pleasure to serve you!!!
If we can be of any assistance on your next return trip to Los Cabos, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Galva,Ia.USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

From the moment we arrived to when we left the entire staff was first-class!! My family of four had a great time, many pools and restaurants to choose from, all very good!! The grounds were beautiful, very well maintained and the beach was spectacular!! I was only asked once to attend a time-share presentation and I declined and was never asked again. From the front-desk to the bellboys to the maid-service, all were awesome, they went waaaaaaaaaay beyond their job description!! Thank-you to the entire staff at The Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club, Jim Madsen

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear jim m:
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Hacienda del Mar! We are delighted to read such lovely comments. I will make sure to pass your lovely comments to the rest of our staff!
We hope to have you back with us soon!
Regards.
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife, 10 year old daughter, and I traveled here on an RCI swap from our Hilton Grand Vacations Club. We rented a car at the airport and it turned out to be a manual transmission jeep with no AC. Caution, I think all jeeps are manual. Luckily this was no problem for me, but it ruled my wife out from driving completely.

It is about a 30 minute drive from the airport and it is easy to drive right by the freeway exit. Watch out for the speed bumps on the way in. I missed spotting them the first time.

The staff was ok at checkin. They dumped a lot of information on us in the first 10 minutes as we were trying to get our bearings and I could tell they were annoyed that we had to ask a few redundant questions. They were busy and wanted to move on. The focus was to get us to sign up for a sales presentation of course.

The 1 BR room was ok but since we were RCI exchange people we got a bottom floor with no view as retribution for being low lifes, I guess. It still was not too bad and it was about 50 yards to the first pool and beach around the corner.

The pools were magnificent. Really nice, with a few hot tubs, and several short stairways down to the beach which had great sand. The water was ice cold in December so we avoided the water but spent some time lounging on the beach watching for whales. I wish we had brought our binoculars.

The kitchen was a mini version with a microwave, sink, and stove. The refrigerator was a half size model on its last legs but we just used it for drinks and a few sundry items anyway. There was a whirlpool in the master tub that our daughter liked and the beautifully lacquered all tile floor insured that at least it was relatively clean.The Walmart is about 7 minutes away by car and allowed us to stock up on a few sundry things easily.

The restaurants were just 'ok' and expensive. I ordered combo fajitas one night and what I got was comical, at best. We live in Texas where Tex-Mex is a fine art with expectations. The fajitas I saw were kind of tasteless and without any creativity. I recommend some of the other restaurants in town, 10 minutes away. The restaurants at the marina are not necessarily the ones to try, but since you end up down there anyway you will inevitably try one or two.

I intended to withdraw money from the ATMs at the hotel but my Cirrus card was rejected at every one of the mini ATMs there, and in town. I had to use the official bank ATMs for withdrawals. That having been said, everyone takes US dollars and mostly they are preferred. I should have just carried US dollars with me and skipped the ATM and exchange rates all together. Cash is much preferred over credit cards and a few places charge 10% extra for credit cards.

My wife got an abscessed tooth while we were there and the dentist charged us only $150 to come in on a Holiday and relieve the pain. Of course antibiotics are sold over the counter so was able to cope for the trip.

The golf course is awesome at Cabo Del Sol! I did not play it but the off hour rates were almost reasonable (but not quite). We saw whales breaching and blowing about a half mile off shore which was neat to view from the infinity pools overlooking the beach.

We would recommend this resort to others and would plan to go back to Cabo in a few years, if not necessariy this place, since we would want to try some other resort. But if you have not been there I think the experience is worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Trenton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

This is a beautiful resort. The staff were so helpful..my kids enjoyed them self..the resort has great restaurants. One called Pitaya was absolutely delicious and there was not one thing wrong with this paradise...

• Stayed October 2012
ctrujillo, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear lisette d:
Thank you for your kindness in taking the time to make some comments regarding your recent stay. We are truly delighted to hear that that your experience during your stay with us was a pleasant one and that you had a great time!, also I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our amazing Pitahayas Restaurant! For the whole team It was truly our pleasure to serve you!!!
El Dorado Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Well maintained property. Spectacular villas. Wonderful staff . The oceanfront or ocean view villas are always in demand, so plan ahead and reserve your room early. The WiFi is little expensive so if you can connect to wireless hot-spot and if the data service is reasonable that would be a better option. December is a good month to visit this property. From the pool or from the beach you can watch whales migrate or witness the the Manta Rays jump out of the water. The sunsets are spectacular. The prime spots by the pool overlooking the infinity pool with ocean views are always taken early. So, if you want a prime poolside spot, then get up early and hunt for your spot.

Have a great stay at this magical place.

• Stayed December 2012
Dear B0bD:
Thank you for taking the time to send us your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor.
It is a true delight for Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club, to be defined as "Beautiful property, exceptional service". I have shared your wonderful feedback with our entire team, who enjoy what they do on a daily basis to ensure that each guest goes home happy! Thank you for giving us the opportunity to pamper and spoil you, this is what we at Hacienda del Mar, do best!
See you soon in another amazing getaway to your home away from home!!!!

Regards
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I've spent a total of 3 weeks over 3 years at the Del Mar and I must say it is a very nice resort and as far as the resort it's self goes I have no real complaints but I have several issues with it. First of all you don't see mexico, you don't experience the culture. It is very expensive and you don't have All inclusive packages so you are going to spend alot of money. You are about 18 miles from town and all the action so you will be spending money on a cab, 40 plus dollars round trip. If this is your Thing great but for me I travel to explore, I want to get off the beaten path. And as far as money I don't mind spending it but there is a limit to what I will spent money on. Cozumel is a considerable cheaper place and leaving from Oklahoma Dallas flights are cheap, plus the scuba diving is great.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Troy D:
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club. I’m very sorry that your experience was not what you expected. We aim to “wow” all our guests during their visit to Hacienda del Mar, and while we enjoy a very good success rate at doing this, we really did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
We would love for you to give Hacienda del Mar another opportunity during your next visit to Los Cabos.
Guest Relations Manager

Been to Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club? Share your experiences!