“Beautiful property, exceptional service.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club

Save Saved
You added Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club to your Saves list
Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Corredor Turistico Km. 10, Lote D | Cabo Del Sol, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Call Hotel:
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #10 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
El Dorado Hills, California
“Beautiful property, exceptional service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Well maintained property. Spectacular villas. Wonderful staff . The oceanfront or ocean view villas are always in demand, so plan ahead and reserve your room early. The WiFi is little expensive so if you can connect to wireless hot-spot and if the data service is reasonable that would be a better option. December is a good month to visit this property. From the pool or from the beach you can watch whales migrate or witness the the Manta Rays jump out of the water. The sunsets are spectacular. The prime spots by the pool overlooking the infinity pool with ocean views are always taken early. So, if you want a prime poolside spot, then get up early and hunt for your spot.

Have a great stay at this magical place.

• Stayed December 2012
ctrujillo, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear B0bD:
It is a true delight for Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club, to be defined as "Beautiful property, exceptional service". I have shared your wonderful feedback with our entire team, who enjoy what they do on a daily basis to ensure that each guest goes home happy! Thank you for giving us the opportunity to pamper and spoil you, this is what we at Hacienda del Mar, do best!
See you soon in another amazing getaway to your home away from home!!!!

Regards

594 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Carolina Beach, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I've spent a total of 3 weeks over 3 years at the Del Mar and I must say it is a very nice resort and as far as the resort it's self goes I have no real complaints but I have several issues with it. First of all you don't see mexico, you don't experience the culture. It is very expensive and you don't have All inclusive packages so you are going to spend alot of money. You are about 18 miles from town and all the action so you will be spending money on a cab, 40 plus dollars round trip. If this is your Thing great but for me I travel to explore, I want to get off the beaten path. And as far as money I don't mind spending it but there is a limit to what I will spent money on. Cozumel is a considerable cheaper place and leaving from Oklahoma Dallas flights are cheap, plus the scuba diving is great.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Troy D:
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club. I’m very sorry that your experience was not what you expected. We aim to “wow” all our guests during their visit to Hacienda del Mar, and while we enjoy a very good success rate at doing this, we really did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
Warwick, Rhode Island, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Warning: this is a time-share resort. On the first day, they will keep you in a 3 1/2 hour presentation trying to sell you a time-share for $40,000 (they tell you it is only a 75 minute "tour of the resort"). You can tell them from the beginning that you don't want to buy it, but they still take you on the tour. Suggestion: just don't go in the first place, although I am not sure if they will keep calling you to go on it.
After the sales pitch, the rest of the stay was kinda nice. The beach/sea was nice (strong undercurrent, but manageable); the pools were nice and heated (we went in december). There are people on the beach trying to sell you necklaces, blankets, etc. They normally leave you alone if you simply tell them "no," but some are more pushy than others. Also, the salespeople stay on the beach and do not go onto the resort grounds (although they get as close as humanly possible). Our room was ok, but it smelled of sewage. We were on the third floor of a four-floor building and on the fourth floor was a restaurant. The restaurant itself was good, but we constantly heard chairs and tables moving above us when we were in the room.
If you were looking for anything other than lying on the beach and swimming in the pools, DO NOT GO HERE! You are literally surrounded by desert and ocean; the only sign of civilization is downtown Cabos San Lucas which, for all intents and purposes, is nothing more than a tourist trap. If you want any semblance of culture, you have to go to San Jose. We did not go because there was no shuttle there and it would have been a $60 cab ride. Moreover, we were not impressed with the description from the front desk on what to find there.
Bottom line: if you want to lie on the beach all day, go here, but stay at the hotel and not Hacienda del Mar. If you like experiencing culture, visiting the surrounding area, or generally prefer not feelng like you are confined to one small area of the region, do not go here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Dan A.
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club. I am concerned by your comments and I’m very sorry that your experience was not what you expected. All the comments that we hear from our dear guests, are very valuable to us, and it keeps us focused. We would love for you to give Hacienda del Mar another opportunity during your next visit to Los Cabos. If we can be of any assistance on your next return trip to Los Cabos, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you & Happy New Year.
Tacoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed here for five days in mid December using RCI to exchange our condo. We were pleasantly surprised by the immaculate grounds. When we first arrived we requested a room with a view and not the rooms by the garage---we were given a first floor room in building 36--the garage building, when we requested a different room, we were given a room in building 10, on the fourth floor corner. Building 10 is a great location near the pools and restaurants.

The property is older, but well maintained. The room was a one bedroom unit with a partial kitchen, separate small Jacuzzi in the bedroom area, separate bathroom and nice balcony.

We ate at 4 of the restaurants on the property and our favorite restaurant was Pitahayas. This restaurant was fantastic---exquisitely prepared food, incredible service, a real bargain. The sushi bar was good, with some interesting rolls, Tomatoes was okay. The beach was very nice and some people were actually swimming here, with caution. The resort has two Jack Nicklaus golf courses, that were outstanding. The work out facility and spa was great. New machines, good atmosphere.

There were several pools in strategic locations. Noticed a kids playground, but not a lot of kids at this resort. Buildings were arranged so that noise was minimized. No traffic noise off the freeway a half mile away. Staff was great. Always treated everyone with respect. This resort was way better than Casa Dorado Dreams, were we just finished our second week of this trip. We were charged with a daily internet fee, if we wanted to use more than a free 30 min offering. This was not great, but tolerable. Would definitely recommend this property.

Room Tip: Building 10 is a great convenient location with excellent views especially from the 4th floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest:
Wow!! What a wonderful review! It is a pleasure to hear we achieved our goal of providing the ultimate service and guest experience. We are truly delighted to hear that that your experience during your stay with us was a pleasant one and that you had a great time! For the whole team It was truly our pleasure to serve you!!!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is a huge property and the grounds are beautifully landscaped. We stayed in a one bedroom unit that had 2 full baths, a jacuzzi in the master bedroom, A/C and a kitchen. Rooms have satellite TV with 40+ channels. We did not rent a car so we stayed at the property every day except the one day we took the shuttle ($10 per person RT) to town. We ate room service, Girasoles, Sirenas and Tomatos..all of which I have posted reviews. The resort offers WIFI for a free 30 minutes daily or you can pay $13 for 24 hour access. I found the WIFI connection to be challenging and opted for the free daily 30 minutes in the hospitality suite to check emails, etc. The hospitality suite offers comfortable surroundings with a TV and showers, in case you have checked out (check out is 10am) and have extra time before your flight leaves. There is a airport shuttle for $32 a person RT but it makes several stops. I decided to book a private car with cabo transfers for $125 RT and added a 1 hour shopping stop for groceries for $40. If you do this, when you arrive at the airport and walk out of baggage claim...SPEAK TO NO ONE!...They are all time share salesman, they wear badges so you assume they work for the airport. They told me they were the company I booked with and they will have the driver pull up for me. I almost fell into the trap. Once you walk out the doors to outside my driver was standing with a sign. Thank goodness someone walked out the doors and I was able to see my driver holding a sign with my name on it. Mexico corruption at it's finest. The driver took us to Walmart which was quite expensive, $9 for a case of Arrowhead bottled water. I was told Mega supermarket is cheaper. There is also a Costco and Sams Club not far from the resort. Upon check in they assign you to a "concierge" which offers discounts and resort credits if you attend a time share presentation, which we did not do. The pools are beautiful and overlook the private beach, the staff are very accommodating. If you need an umbrella (free) or extra chair, just ask at the towel kiosk. They are more than happy to make your stay comfortable. There are people that put towels on the chairs to reserve them and never show up, but you get that at any resort. They offer 2 for 1 daily drink specials at Sirenas near the pool. I requested a bucket with ice to keep my beverages cold and it was not a problem. There are vendors that walk the beach selling things, but they do not harass you, and they do not come onto the property. There were people drinking/eating in the pool, enjoying bottles of wine at their pool chairs and one lady had her dog on her lap sitting on the pool steps. I believe that the staff is afraid to confront the guests and tell them no, since they aim to please. This property offers a children's play area and pool. There are bbq's with private gazebo's in the courtyards for use, just let the front desk know as they are locked. Hallways near the rooms have an ice machine and elevator. They offer a laundry facility and sell the detergent and softener in the convenience store located on the property. The property can be a challenge to walk, as there are stairs, inclines, uneven surfaces and it can be a bit of a distance from one area to the next. I did notice handicap ramps near the rooms. The bell desk staff also will give you a ride in their golf cart if needed. The vacation villas share their property with the Sheraton resort so if you are a SPG member you will get points for your purchases. The front desk asked for my SPG number upon check out and said they would send it with my folio to the Sheraton hotel so I would get credit. That did not happen and I had to contact SPG member services and fax them my folio to get the credit. There is a golf course next to the property, we do not golf so I cannot comment on that. There is daily maid service and dish detergent, shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion is provided. Rooms have a coffee maker in the kitchen but no coffee provided, so make sure you bring or buy some. The kitchen is fully stocked with anything you made need to cook, including a microwave and toaster oven. Each room has a patio with a great view and some rooms have a jacuzzi on the patio. This property is beautifully maintained and is very clean. If you want to be out of the hustle bustle..this is your place. Quiet, tranquil and a great way to just relax.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ctrujillo, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:
Wow! Thank you for having taken the time to write such a wonderful review on Tripadvisor!!!
It always thrills us to hear that our guests had an incredible experience during their stay.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to make some comments regarding your recent stay.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to our little piece of Paradise!
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Our friends, my husband, and I stayed here the first week of December. For many years, we normally trade our timeshare for any Grand Mayan, but this time wanted something different. After reading the wonderful reviews here on TA, we decided to stay here. We had a two bedroom suite. We made this reservation back in April. We checked in about 1:00. We knew we couldn't get our room right away and were willing to wait. We asked for an ocean view and were told that when we checked in, we might get one. We were asked to come back at check in time, at 4:00 which we did. The room we were given was not an ocean view, but a view of the front of the lobby where the cars drop off guests. We were told that all the ocean view rooms were gone by guests that got their rooms before 4, huh?. Perhaps it was because we declined the time share presentation?? It was a rather irritating start, and hopefully next time we stay here, we will be granted a better view room. It turned out to be a much quieter location than we guessed.

The rooms were beautiful. Balcony was large and everything in tip top shape. A/C was perfect and so quiet you didn't even know it was going on and off. Gorgeous bathrooms. Great kitchen with a dishwasher and big fridge with ice and water in the door. A washer and a dryer. Beds were comfortable. Bedding very nice with down comforters. TV's were all flat screens in all bedrooms and living room. Great selection of channels. .All these amenities are not in any Grand Mayan we have stayed at.

The grounds are gorgeous and so well maintained. There is a variety of pools with comfortable lounges. Maria, the pool towel attendant, is one hard worker. Managing the towels, cleaning the bathrooms, helping with pool umbrellas, polishing the chrome, and all with a genuine smile. All the staff were very nice. The front desk staff weren't as friendly however.

The reason for the 4 stars was because their internet policy is extremely confusing and possibly deceiving. We have to work while we are vacation as we are self employed. It would be so wonderful if we didn't need to, but such is life in this economy. We are still confused by the way the internet works. It appeared that one computer in the room would get 30 minutes free internet every day. That is nice, but we had three. You can purchase an hour or 24 hours. 24 hours is roughly $13. It says on the screen where you sign up that you can use three computers on that 24 hours, but you can't. I can understand if you wanted to use all three computers at one time that that wouldn't work, but we wanted to use them one at a time. No go. When checking out, I had to fight to get some compensation for the deception, and finally got two days taken off. Maybe because there were many people in line waiting to check out? Not sure, but I was glad Oliver made some kind of gesture, but not happily, I might add. Honestly, internet should be FREE. There are lots and lots and lots of hotels that offer free internet.

We only had two meals while we were there. The Mexican restaurant was very good and has a great view. The one poolside restaurant was good, but extremely expensive for pool food.

The beach is very nice for Cabo. We snorkeled right off of the hotel often and were very lucky to see such a vast variety of fish. We mostly snorkeled on the right side of the rocks on the right side of the beach.

We really loved it here and will definitely return next time we are in Cabo.

Room Tip: Not sure what the secret is to get a ocean view room. Wish I did for next time.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest:
Wow, what a great review! Thank you for taking the time to send us your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor.
It is a true delight for Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club, to be defined as "Beautiful Property!"
I also would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the problem you encountered with the internet service, please rest assured we are taking corrective actions to prevent such things from happening in the future. We appreciate you taking the time to write to us with your concerns as this helps us to constantly strive for improvement and excellence.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back at a future stage and provide you with a closer to perfect experience as your original visit should have been.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at: ctrujillo@haciendadelmar.com.mx
Sincerely

Short Hills, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have been to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico many times--we have timeshares at 2 different locations in Cabo and usually come with our granddaughter. We scheduled a week in November to come down to celebrate our anniversary--just the 2 of us. We loved our stay at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club. We had a bonus week from our other timeshare but when we couldn't get in there, we went through sellmytimesharenow.com and arranged to pay a fee to use someone else's timeshare, so we paid the equivalent of a maintenance fee to stay here. The grounds are beautiful and landscaped/maintained impeccably. The resort was being decorated for Christmas while we were there and every day some new addition to the Christmas transformation was added.

Our room was nice--I won't say it was luxurious compared to where we usually stay. We had an end room which had the air conditioners outside the bedroom wall and it was noisy but not enough to prompt us to request a room change. The kitchenette was adequate but not a full kitchen like I was used to at the other resorts. There are plenty of pools and the resort has instituted a policy whereby you cannot reserve lounge chairs more than 45 minutes if you are not in them which to me is only fair. It prevents people from coming down at dawn and reserving a space and not using them for hours. People still saved seating, though, and were nowhere to be seen. We couldn't find a place to sit around the pool one day and noticed that no one had been at about 5 chairs for over an hour and when we requested to use them, we were told that the people would be right back. Yeah, in another hour, they did show up. I was tempted to move their stuff myself but restrained. We discovered on another day that the staff at the towel booth will set you up on the beach with lounge chairs and umbrella wherever you want, so that was nice. Gratuities not expected but welcome if offered. The pool that is not on the ocean was quiet and not crowded so we ended up there towards the end of the week so we didn't have to fight for a seat.

The exercise facility is great. The security staff will open the exercise room early in the morning before it officially opens or late at night--you just have to let them know that you want to use it and they will meet you there to let you in.

There are some great restaurants at the resort. Pricey, but good food. We had an outstanding 9 course Peruvian Festival dinner at the grill restaurant, De Cortez sitting outside listening to the ocean and gazing at the full moon reflecting over the water. Stunning! The other dinner-only restaurant is Pitahayas and we had another excellent meal there as well. Breakfasts are all you can eat at Tomates (buffet) and pricey. At Girasoles, you can have anything on the breakfast menu for one price which is less than Tomates, so this is where we ended up for breakfast most days. You could order multiple entrees or fruit platters/papaya and omelets and all was one price. Girasoles had great dinners too and we had multiple dinners there.

We tend to stay at the resorts and not venture into town so much, so the location was fine for us. If you want the town/bar scene, this is not the place to stay since it takes about 15-20 minutes to get into downtown. There is a shuttle but it's every 90 minutes and $10 round trip. You have to plan around the shuttle schedule or take a taxi which is more expensive.

There was the obligatory time share talk that we went to and we politely declined the offerings and didn't feel like there was a hard sell. They are planning a new more modern looking vacation club just down the beach and that was a big selling point for the timeshare talk, but we said no and that was that.

Overall, it was a great trip, relaxing and enjoyable. There are no bad days in Cabo!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for your kindness in taking the time to make some comments regarding your recent stay. All the comments that we hear from our dear guests, are very valuable to us, and it keeps us focused. Once again, Thank you for having taken the time to write about your experience at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to our little piece of Paradise!
Guest Relations Manager

Been to Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club? Share your experiences!