“Great Views, Incredible Service, Beautiful Property!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club

Save Saved
You added Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club to your Saves list
Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Corredor Turistico SJC CSL Km 10 | Lote D, Cabo del Sol, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Call Hotel:
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #11 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Views, Incredible Service, Beautiful Property!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

This is a huge property and the grounds are beautifully landscaped. We stayed in a one bedroom unit that had 2 full baths, a jacuzzi in the master bedroom, A/C and a kitchen. Rooms have satellite TV with 40+ channels. We did not rent a car so we stayed at the property every day except the one day we took the shuttle ($10 per person RT) to town. We ate room service, Girasoles, Sirenas and Tomatos..all of which I have posted reviews. The resort offers WIFI for a free 30 minutes daily or you can pay $13 for 24 hour access. I found the WIFI connection to be challenging and opted for the free daily 30 minutes in the hospitality suite to check emails, etc. The hospitality suite offers comfortable surroundings with a TV and showers, in case you have checked out (check out is 10am) and have extra time before your flight leaves. There is a airport shuttle for $32 a person RT but it makes several stops. I decided to book a private car with cabo transfers for $125 RT and added a 1 hour shopping stop for groceries for $40. If you do this, when you arrive at the airport and walk out of baggage claim...SPEAK TO NO ONE!...They are all time share salesman, they wear badges so you assume they work for the airport. They told me they were the company I booked with and they will have the driver pull up for me. I almost fell into the trap. Once you walk out the doors to outside my driver was standing with a sign. Thank goodness someone walked out the doors and I was able to see my driver holding a sign with my name on it. Mexico corruption at it's finest. The driver took us to Walmart which was quite expensive, $9 for a case of Arrowhead bottled water. I was told Mega supermarket is cheaper. There is also a Costco and Sams Club not far from the resort. Upon check in they assign you to a "concierge" which offers discounts and resort credits if you attend a time share presentation, which we did not do. The pools are beautiful and overlook the private beach, the staff are very accommodating. If you need an umbrella (free) or extra chair, just ask at the towel kiosk. They are more than happy to make your stay comfortable. There are people that put towels on the chairs to reserve them and never show up, but you get that at any resort. They offer 2 for 1 daily drink specials at Sirenas near the pool. I requested a bucket with ice to keep my beverages cold and it was not a problem. There are vendors that walk the beach selling things, but they do not harass you, and they do not come onto the property. There were people drinking/eating in the pool, enjoying bottles of wine at their pool chairs and one lady had her dog on her lap sitting on the pool steps. I believe that the staff is afraid to confront the guests and tell them no, since they aim to please. This property offers a children's play area and pool. There are bbq's with private gazebo's in the courtyards for use, just let the front desk know as they are locked. Hallways near the rooms have an ice machine and elevator. They offer a laundry facility and sell the detergent and softener in the convenience store located on the property. The property can be a challenge to walk, as there are stairs, inclines, uneven surfaces and it can be a bit of a distance from one area to the next. I did notice handicap ramps near the rooms. The bell desk staff also will give you a ride in their golf cart if needed. The vacation villas share their property with the Sheraton resort so if you are a SPG member you will get points for your purchases. The front desk asked for my SPG number upon check out and said they would send it with my folio to the Sheraton hotel so I would get credit. That did not happen and I had to contact SPG member services and fax them my folio to get the credit. There is a golf course next to the property, we do not golf so I cannot comment on that. There is daily maid service and dish detergent, shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion is provided. Rooms have a coffee maker in the kitchen but no coffee provided, so make sure you bring or buy some. The kitchen is fully stocked with anything you made need to cook, including a microwave and toaster oven. Each room has a patio with a great view and some rooms have a jacuzzi on the patio. This property is beautifully maintained and is very clean. If you want to be out of the hustle bustle..this is your place. Quiet, tranquil and a great way to just relax.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ctrujillo, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Valued Guest:
Wow! Thank you for having taken the time to write such a wonderful review on Tripadvisor!!!
It always thrills us to hear that our guests had an incredible experience during their stay.
I have shared your wonderful feedback with our entire team, who enjoy what they do on a daily basis to ensure that each guest goes home happy!
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to make some comments regarding your recent stay.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to our little piece of Paradise!

590 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Our friends, my husband, and I stayed here the first week of December. For many years, we normally trade our timeshare for any Grand Mayan, but this time wanted something different. After reading the wonderful reviews here on TA, we decided to stay here. We had a two bedroom suite. We made this reservation back in April. We checked in about 1:00. We knew we couldn't get our room right away and were willing to wait. We asked for an ocean view and were told that when we checked in, we might get one. We were asked to come back at check in time, at 4:00 which we did. The room we were given was not an ocean view, but a view of the front of the lobby where the cars drop off guests. We were told that all the ocean view rooms were gone by guests that got their rooms before 4, huh?. Perhaps it was because we declined the time share presentation?? It was a rather irritating start, and hopefully next time we stay here, we will be granted a better view room. It turned out to be a much quieter location than we guessed.

The rooms were beautiful. Balcony was large and everything in tip top shape. A/C was perfect and so quiet you didn't even know it was going on and off. Gorgeous bathrooms. Great kitchen with a dishwasher and big fridge with ice and water in the door. A washer and a dryer. Beds were comfortable. Bedding very nice with down comforters. TV's were all flat screens in all bedrooms and living room. Great selection of channels. .All these amenities are not in any Grand Mayan we have stayed at.

The grounds are gorgeous and so well maintained. There is a variety of pools with comfortable lounges. Maria, the pool towel attendant, is one hard worker. Managing the towels, cleaning the bathrooms, helping with pool umbrellas, polishing the chrome, and all with a genuine smile. All the staff were very nice. The front desk staff weren't as friendly however.

The reason for the 4 stars was because their internet policy is extremely confusing and possibly deceiving. We have to work while we are vacation as we are self employed. It would be so wonderful if we didn't need to, but such is life in this economy. We are still confused by the way the internet works. It appeared that one computer in the room would get 30 minutes free internet every day. That is nice, but we had three. You can purchase an hour or 24 hours. 24 hours is roughly $13. It says on the screen where you sign up that you can use three computers on that 24 hours, but you can't. I can understand if you wanted to use all three computers at one time that that wouldn't work, but we wanted to use them one at a time. No go. When checking out, I had to fight to get some compensation for the deception, and finally got two days taken off. Maybe because there were many people in line waiting to check out? Not sure, but I was glad Oliver made some kind of gesture, but not happily, I might add. Honestly, internet should be FREE. There are lots and lots and lots of hotels that offer free internet.

We only had two meals while we were there. The Mexican restaurant was very good and has a great view. The one poolside restaurant was good, but extremely expensive for pool food.

The beach is very nice for Cabo. We snorkeled right off of the hotel often and were very lucky to see such a vast variety of fish. We mostly snorkeled on the right side of the rocks on the right side of the beach.

We really loved it here and will definitely return next time we are in Cabo.

Room Tip: Not sure what the secret is to get a ocean view room. Wish I did for next time.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest:
Wow, what a great review! Thank you for taking the time to send us your wonderful comments on Trip Advisor.
It is a true delight for Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club, to be defined as "Beautiful Property!"
I also would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the problem you encountered with the internet service, please rest assured we are taking corrective actions to prevent such things from happening in the future. We appreciate you taking the time to write to us with your concerns as this helps us to constantly strive for improvement and excellence.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back at a future stage and provide you with a closer to perfect experience as your original visit should have been.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at: ctrujillo@haciendadelmar.com.mx

Short Hills, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have been to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico many times--we have timeshares at 2 different locations in Cabo and usually come with our granddaughter. We scheduled a week in November to come down to celebrate our anniversary--just the 2 of us. We loved our stay at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club. We had a bonus week from our other timeshare but when we couldn't get in there, we went through sellmytimesharenow.com and arranged to pay a fee to use someone else's timeshare, so we paid the equivalent of a maintenance fee to stay here. The grounds are beautiful and landscaped/maintained impeccably. The resort was being decorated for Christmas while we were there and every day some new addition to the Christmas transformation was added.

Our room was nice--I won't say it was luxurious compared to where we usually stay. We had an end room which had the air conditioners outside the bedroom wall and it was noisy but not enough to prompt us to request a room change. The kitchenette was adequate but not a full kitchen like I was used to at the other resorts. There are plenty of pools and the resort has instituted a policy whereby you cannot reserve lounge chairs more than 45 minutes if you are not in them which to me is only fair. It prevents people from coming down at dawn and reserving a space and not using them for hours. People still saved seating, though, and were nowhere to be seen. We couldn't find a place to sit around the pool one day and noticed that no one had been at about 5 chairs for over an hour and when we requested to use them, we were told that the people would be right back. Yeah, in another hour, they did show up. I was tempted to move their stuff myself but restrained. We discovered on another day that the staff at the towel booth will set you up on the beach with lounge chairs and umbrella wherever you want, so that was nice. Gratuities not expected but welcome if offered. The pool that is not on the ocean was quiet and not crowded so we ended up there towards the end of the week so we didn't have to fight for a seat.

The exercise facility is great. The security staff will open the exercise room early in the morning before it officially opens or late at night--you just have to let them know that you want to use it and they will meet you there to let you in.

There are some great restaurants at the resort. Pricey, but good food. We had an outstanding 9 course Peruvian Festival dinner at the grill restaurant, De Cortez sitting outside listening to the ocean and gazing at the full moon reflecting over the water. Stunning! The other dinner-only restaurant is Pitahayas and we had another excellent meal there as well. Breakfasts are all you can eat at Tomates (buffet) and pricey. At Girasoles, you can have anything on the breakfast menu for one price which is less than Tomates, so this is where we ended up for breakfast most days. You could order multiple entrees or fruit platters/papaya and omelets and all was one price. Girasoles had great dinners too and we had multiple dinners there.

We tend to stay at the resorts and not venture into town so much, so the location was fine for us. If you want the town/bar scene, this is not the place to stay since it takes about 15-20 minutes to get into downtown. There is a shuttle but it's every 90 minutes and $10 round trip. You have to plan around the shuttle schedule or take a taxi which is more expensive.

There was the obligatory time share talk that we went to and we politely declined the offerings and didn't feel like there was a hard sell. They are planning a new more modern looking vacation club just down the beach and that was a big selling point for the timeshare talk, but we said no and that was that.

Overall, it was a great trip, relaxing and enjoyable. There are no bad days in Cabo!

Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for your kindness in taking the time to make some comments regarding your recent stay. All the comments that we hear from our dear guests, are very valuable to us, and it keeps us focused. Once again, Thank you for having taken the time to write about your experience at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon to our little piece of Paradise!
Severn Falls, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We traded into this resort with our timeshare. It was difficult to actually find the resort as there were no signs for the resort. Even in the resort complex there were only tiny little signs to show you how to get into the resort, and out. The resort was very well landscaped, the pools were beautiful. The units were tastfully done.The staff were friendly. There are only four of the buildings that are actually oceanfront. Since we were not owners there, we were unable to have any of these buildings. The first unit we were offered, the balcony faced the parking lot. After some complaining we were offered a unit with a partial VIEW of the ocean. We liked the resort itself. We soon found that if you wanted a lounge by the pool, you had to get up early and run down to the pool and save lounges with your towels. There are numerous signs that stated that this was not allowed, yet the staff did little to address this. There is a really nice childrens pool away from the other pools, we found that most families chose to invade ALL pools. It was hard to find a pool that didn't have very young children yelling and screaming. The restaurants were all very good. The timeshare people were not too bad. We enjoyed our vacation, but not our type of resort

Room Tip: We were told that only owners were allowed oceanfront units
Dear Valued Guest:
For the whole team It was truly our pleasure to serve you!!!
If we can be of any assistance on your next return trip to Los Cabos, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

The resort was nice, we loved the happy hours. But it was far from everything. The cab rides into town were a descent price, but so not expect to be in town all night if u want the hotel to bring you back. There was a beach, but u could not get into the water.

Room Tip: Make sure u ask them to change linen.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Davena L:
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club. I am concerned by your comments and I’m very sorry that your experience was not what you expected. We aim to “wow” all our guests during their visit to Hacienda del Mar, and while we enjoy a very good success rate at doing this, we really did not meet your expectations on this occasion.
We would love for you to give Hacienda del Mar another opportunity during your next visit to Los Cabos.

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We have been timeshare owners here since pre-construction. In addition to the weeks we own, we often go as "guests" by renting the vacation club units by the night like a hotel stay. We just returned from a 3 night getaway in a junior suite. The AAA rate was about $225 per night. We requested a quiet room on a high floor and (thanks to Rolando), we got a great room overlooking the ocean course with a sea view. We like to spend our days at the beach, and Amado is wonderful about setting us up with lounge chairs and umbrellas. All the staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The grounds are absolutely beautiful. This time of year is really nice down there, with highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s. Whales are migrating and turtles hatching. Crowds tend to be older, many from colder climates. Very relaxing!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ctrujillo, Guest Relations Manager at Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:
We are glad that your experience during your stay with us was a pleasant one and that you had a great time! Thank you for the special mention for Rolando & Amado! Many reviewers in the past have noted that our team seems genuinely happy to serve, and that is the absolute truth. They are here to make each guest's day, every day.
Bainbridge Island, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We were in a one bedroom with a partial kitchen- near the garages. The location didn't bother us as it has other reviewers - no ocean view but we were right next to a pool and our veranda on the first floor was huge. The kitchen is super small to work with- two burners that really only fit one pan at a time. The fridge is a small one about 3 feet high- big enough for milk, some drinks, and makings for a couple if meals- but not enough to keep everything for a week. But overall- very nice to have the kitchen. Another part of our family was in a three bedroom- had the washer and dryer, a huge kitchen, and a huge living room. if you can swing it- it was great.

The restaurants at the resorts are pretty pricey- even by American standards. $17 for brunch, $18-$42 for dinner entries. Poolside- $16 for a hotdog. This is to be expected- so we got groceries at Walmart to fill in and went into town some days. The service staff was lovely- the only issue we had was the information we'd get was inconsistent from one person to the next. We were told there was a weekly rate for Internet and then told there was not. We were told the hours of brunch and then got to the restaurant with only 5 minutes left for the real time. Little things- but seems silly not everyone knows. The pools are great. The beach is beautiful but on the most part too dangerous to use- we watched 2 people get rescued the one day we went down. We were lucky and got to see turtles hatch.

Free parking, only 5 minutes from Cabo San Lucas and about 10 from San Jose.

Overall, we felt the resort was great and we'd go back again!

• Stayed November 2012
Dear ICamacho:
On behalf of Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club, I would like to personally thank you for your comments. We value all feedback and are pleased you enjoyed your experience with us.
Regarding the inconsistent information, I am sorry to hear that, we take comments of this nature very seriously as we pride ourselves on being an oasis of luxury with attentive service and genuine hospitality. We will be looking into the issue, we apologize for this situation.

We look forward to having you back with us again soon and please let us know if we can be of any assistance in planning your next getaway to Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club.

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Hacienda del Mar Vacation Club? Share your experiences!