“Expectations...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   KM 18. 5 Carretera Transpeninsular Csl-Sjc, Cabo San Lucas 23400, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Big Fall Savings!
Ranked #34 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Expectations...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

It all comes down to what you expect. I will try not to bore you with the same report as the hundreds of others, but yeah, the food sucks and I see no reason to come to this resort unless you have kids. If you are not traveling with kids, go next door to Zoetry, spend the extra bucks for a quality experience. Trust me. Zoetry is AMAZING and also part of the same company that runs Dreams.

We stayed at Dreams for 6 nights. We had a blast! But we have a blast wherever we go...

Dreams: $200/day yes. $400/day NO.

Ok. The kids camp here is AWESOME. My only complaint with the kids camp was that I did not get to spend as much time with my kids as I wanted because they did not want to leave the camp! Great work girls! (The girls who work there are outstanding). Tons of activities for the kids. The bungie jump? My kids keep talking about it.

FOOD: NOT GOOD. Lots of fried/cheap stuff. (TIP: You can ask for grilled fish in the fish tacos instead of that nasty fried thing)

Service is slow most of the time at the restaurants. But we are ok with that because my wife and I enjoy talking to each other and having drinks.

There are a few decent items like the ceviche at Oceana, but outside of that, and a few random items, yuck. In the Mexican place- “El Patio” I ordered steak tacos and I have to say, there was not one piece of edible meat. More like gristle tacos.

Listen, some people have written here about the food being decent or even great. Get that out of your head. It is not. Be prepared for the worst food-wise, and your vacation will be that much better. I want you to sit down at “El Patio” and order those steak tacos and think to yourself, “Self, these are not as bad as that guy on TA wrote! I see at LEAST 1 piece of edible meat, and he said there were none!”

There were a "few" items that were decent at each food location, but overall, yuck. I expected better. Chuck E. Cheese makes better pizza. I get it. Large resort. Lots of people. But I have been to many resorts with lots of people and this location pretty much was on the lowest rung as far as the food quality.

My favorite restaurant was the Japanese place. I guess when it comes to raw fish, Dreams has to spend more money on product to avoid any “serious” problems.

Oh, do not want to forget about the tiny coffee shop they have. That place is GREAT! Awesome coffee! It is hidden next to the kids camp. And it has snacks. Go find it.

Note: A strange thing happened at Oceana Restaurant. The server asked us to fill out a comment card. We did not want to fill it out and tried to leave, but the manager actually RAN after us, and told us to fill it out. So we did. It was uncomfortable.

Here we go- Random thoughts:

Tipping. The novelty of an All-Inclusive resort, for me, is not having to deal with money. Leave the wallet in the room and just do what I want to do and relax. Well, Dreams has a huge tipping problem. Many resorts we go to will FIRE an employee if they take a tip. This place, tipping is expected. I have NO CLUE how much to tip, who to tip, when to tip and so on. I mean, you can spend $100+/day tipping people here. I saw one guy go up to the swim up bar with a HUGE mug that he obviously brought from home and hand the bartender a $5 bill. The tipping was everywhere. Want a water? A buck. Want a drink? A buck. Want dinner? 5 bucks. Want lunch? 3 bucks. It got to the point that I was pretty uncomfortable because I had NO idea what to leave whom and when. I prefer they just charge me more upfront and pay the employees more. If I wanted to deal with all this money, I would not be staying at an all-inclusive. Defeats the purpose right? I can see throwing some money at exceptional service, but people here were just tipping to tip and that really takes away from the experience in my opinion.

Yes, it is true, there are many unhappy, unfriendly workers. But there are also many happy/friendly ones. Overall, staff did a great job with what they had to work with.

Gym has a mix of good and bad equipment. Plenty of choices to keep your heart rate up.

The adult pool was nice and relaxing. The main pool was nothing special. We were at the resort over Thanksgiving and for 3 of our 7 days, every single chair was saved by both pools before 8am.

**Issue with the main pool: There used to be a fountain spraying water into the air. You can see it in all the DREAMS photos on their website. Well it does not work anymore but the spout is still there, hidden under the water. With all the kids/people running around that pool every day etc, I am SURE that at least a few people a month probably hit that spout with their feet and break a toe or two. I almost did! Come on Dreams, get rid of that, or fix it!

Rooms are large. Our room overlooked the adult pool and I really liked that. Very quiet at night. The room is cleaned twice a day and cleaned very well! Bed was hard as a rock. Air conditioning- Brrrrrrr. Could NOT get the temperature in the room above 60 degrees with that thing on! It was FREEZING in that room unless we turned it off completely.

Could have better choices for the in-room fridge. (All it had was a few small beers, soda and water) Not sure I like having that scale in the bathroom. Who wants to weigh themselves after eating all that salty food!

**Whomever cleaned our room every day was awesome! She arranged all our items in the bathroom, every single day. She folded clothes that were laying about each day, and made the room feel very cozy.

Timeshare: We did not get hit up even once for a timeshare tour. We saw a few “tours” happening, but that was it.

I was going to write that management REALLY needs to start responding to posts here. I see that they have actually started doing just that. Interested to see what management has to say about many of these issues.

After reading many of these posts, I was not very excited about visiting Dreams. In fact, I was very nervous. But if you come with someone you love, or even like, you should have a nice time.

Room service takes a long time. Over an hour, every time.

Wifi is $60 for the week. It worked well for me. Too expensive.

DRINKS: When you add ice to a drink, you are watering it down right? Do these resorts “water down” drinks? Yes. But I am glad they do as I can drink more throughout the day and not be sick as a dog! Watered down drinks = less hangovers and longer drinking days.... Do what I do, just stick to tequila shots if you are worried about lack of alcohol in your drinks. Trust me, watered down or not, after 3 “watered down” tequila shots, you will be happy they were “watered down”.

SERIOUS WIFE COMPLAINT: No hair conditioner in the rooms! 2 weeks after leaving the resort, she is STILL complaining about her “hair being damaged”, so bring your own hair conditioner if you care about "soft, fluffy hair". I recall reading a post about no lotion in the rooms. Well, that was not true. There WAS lotion in the room, and lots of it.

We were lucky and had the most PERFECT weather! Seriously.

Summary: If you enjoy the company of the people you are going to Dreams with, do not care much about food/drinks, and pay under $250/night, you will enjoy yourself. Beats sitting in an office all day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
DreamsL0sCab0s, Director General at Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Guest,

I thank you for feedback and your positive comments about our coffee, room size and cleanliness, Explorer´s Club and dishes featured in our restaurants.

I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations for some services given , all guests comments are reviewed in detail with the management team.

Please let me answer some of you comments:

We do not promote tipping, we understand some guests like to leave on their own accord tips but it is strictly forbidden from any of our associates to ask for tips.

As part of our suites amenities, we include a shampoo with conditioner.

Sorry to make you feel uncomfortable in regards to the completion of a comment card, we like to get in touch with our guests that give us an unsatisfactory mark on our restaurant comment cards. We follow up on their comments, our Chef gets in touch with unsatisfied guests, in order to prepare food to their liking.

I am looking forward for the opportunity to welcoming you in the near future at Dreams Los Cabos, please write to me directly, we will make sure all your expectations are exceeded!

Happy holidays,

Jorge Moran Ize

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

What a beautiful resort and beautiful stay in Cabo! Everything was amazing, from check-in to check-out. There was nothing difficult, the staff were all very accomodating and friendly and they all seemed to genuinely care about me. I went down to the ocean and next thing I knew there was a staff member there telling me it's not safe to go in the ocean and to please be careful. He stayed right there until I left to make sure I was safe! That's above and beyond! The food was awesome! The head chef came out to chat and again I felt very special! The resort itself is intimate which allows for enjoyment of everything without a long walk etc. The entertainment was great - my favorite was the beach party with a live band! The staff played games with us and everyone had a great time! I wasn't concerned about wifi because there was free access to the internet/computers in their business centre all the time and that was all I needed to keep in touch with my family while on vacation. I loved Dreams and I loved Cabo! Thank you to all of the staff that took such good care of me!!!

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger and I was on the 4th floor facing the adult only pool and ocean and I didn...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
DreamsL0sCab0s, Director General at Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your preference and your great comments about Dreams Los Cabos. We`re glad you enjoyed your visit and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.
Happy holidays,

Victoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Just got back from an amazing week at this resort. The thing that I was most impressed with was the service and food. The stay went well beyond my expectations. Antonio at the "pool bar" makes the best mojito! A special shout out to Esperanza from making taking such great care of us! It was all the little touches that made me feel like a princess. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
DreamsL0sCab0s, Director General at Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your preference and your great comments about our team members and Dreams Los Cabos

Happy Holidays!

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We just recently came home from Cabo and loved it. Dreams is really over the top! Rooms were very clean and food was great! We also had our wedding in cabo and it was perfect! Couldn't say enough good things about dreams!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Your comments are music to our ears!!!

Happy holidays

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The resort itself is a nice setting and is clean. However, there are few absolute deal breakers when it comes to this place. First the food is absolutely terrible. As an example, the fish tacos tasted like something you would make yourself in college if all you had were frozen fish sticks and tortillas. Eat anywhere in town or on the coasts in the US and you will see that these fish tacos should never be consumed. All the other food was fairly consistently bad...it wasn't inedible by any means but it just wasn't good. That is so disappointing at an all-inclusive resort. Even if i was forced to come back here, i would never agree to eat at this hotel again...i'd go out and just spend money on high quality food. Also the management here is not entirely friendly. They booked most of our group of couples in rooms with two double beds. Not ideal but come on people...that's unacceptable. They made very little effort to help and their response is there is nothing we can do. No apology or willingness to say, hey we are sorry, let me send you a complimentary drink up to your room (even tho its all inclusive, that gesture would be well - received even though it costs them NOTHING) That is the epitome of awful customer service.
Also, the service at many of the restaurants suffers. A group of 8 went to dinner and it took over 15 minutes to get place settings and menus. I mean why am I even dealing with this?

Also the alcohol is not exactly great. Not really sure what I am drinking but I routinely saw boxed wine being carted around into the restaurants and the bottles of liqueor are potentially on the same level. I witnessed the bartenders at the Rendezvous bar filling the bacardi display bottles with coke and water...mind you it was the display bottles, but this sort of thing just completely creates a sense of distrust. I am always questioning the quality.

Positives: grounds are actually beautiful. Hotel is clean and safe. Most of the staff is very friendly. Pools are nice. Lots of activities available. Rooms are huge and comfortable. Room service breakfast is very good. Generally a good deal in terms of all inclusive...specifically for quantity of food/beverage. Quality - well if you've read this far you know how I feel about this.

Overall, I will not come back until they fix their food. Not worth it. I have travelled extensively and know what quality is. I have stayed in extremely fancy hotels to the cheapest hostels around the world. While by no means is this place bad but please read the positives with a grain of salt. If you are just here to stay and play then enjoy...just temper your expectations of the food and hope you and your significant other don't get two double beds.

Overheard in the halls: "Oh you guys got put in a double bed room as well? Yeah, that happens to everyone."

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Whistler, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We found the service staff to be wonderful, friendly and accommodating, but management could definitely improve the experience by making you feel you're not being nickled and dimed and an all inclusive
- $60/week for internet connection
- $12 round trip for a shuttle into Cabo, so unless your ready to shell out more dollars your stuck at the hotel.
- Cost of spa treatments that are higher then anything else I've seen in North America.
- Advise guests in their welcome package, suggested gratuity etiquette.
- Staffing levels appeared to be low at times - particular at the rendezvous bar between 5:30pm & 7:30pm when people were waiting for their dining reservation.
- Portofino, we'd heard was one of the best restaurants at the resort. We made the mistake of waiting until our final night to go, when it turned out it was closed. They close each restaurant one night per week, which we didn't realize until it was too late.

On a positive note, the food was generally very good, the property clean and well manicured, and as I said the staff was extremely friendly and attentive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Troy, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The thing that impressed me most about this resort was how busy the housekeeping staff were, dusting the ceilings in the hallways, wiping the chairs in the lobby, raking the sand into perfect patterns, tirelessly saying hello every time we passed in the corridor. They did it cheerfully, despite the fact that they probably earn less per day what is our minimum hourly wage here in the States.

Restaurant personnel remembered us and greeted us enthusiastically from one visit to the next. I loved the Japanese restaurant and Italian and we alternated between these two for dinner. The other three were just OK - nothing to write home about. The drinks were definitely not the full strength you would get in a bar at home. But it was all inclusive, so you could drink as many as you wanted if you needed to get a buzz.

Speaking of all inclusive, apparently someone was getting enough alcohol because there were at least three times we witnessed obnoxious drunk behavior from young adults at the pool. Some of their activities were outright dangerous. One group of people were swimming in the ocean at night (on an unswimmable beach). Another time a girl left her drinking companions in the hot tub, made her way to the infinity side waterfall and jumped right over into the pool below. None of her "friends" blinked an eye or checked to see if she was still alive. Finally, one morning after one of these incidents people were checking the pool because someone had broken a drink glass in the hot tub and there were inperceptible shards of glass in the pool. There were signs at the bars saying they were forbidden to serve to people who were drunk, but apparently this rule was not honored.

Other clearly marked rules were also not enforced, such as no children in the hot tub. During the day people laid on the beach chairs and used the hot tub to babysit their children. Also, there was a rule about not saving chairs. But each morning a majority of the chairs were already covered with towels and a token book, most of which stayed empty for hours. If you're not going to enforce the rules then take down the signs.

I did notice and appreciate that several times a day someone tested the water in the pool and the hot tub. And I appreciated the waitstaff's diligence in bringing us drinks.

All that aside, we did enjoy our stay at Dreams, especially the hospitable staff.

The room was very clean as well. However, I could never adjust the air conditioning to my liking. Either it was on full blast, or I turned it off because I was freezing. The bathroom was really small, as was the tub, which you wouldn't want to bathe in.

Room Tip: The hotel is designed to have a water view from every room. If walking is a problem, get a room nea...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
DreamsL0sCab0s, Director General at Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your preference and your great comments about Dreams Los Cabos.

All comments about our service are carefully reviewed please allow me to answer the following:

We don´t allow the usage other than acrylic glasses at the pool area, I am positive that the drink glass you mentioned was most probably brought from a guestroom.
All of our chaise loungers are available on a first come first serve basis, we know some of our guests like to reserve them by leaving a personal belongings whilst they are doing something else, but if they do not return after half an hour our pool concierge is responsible to remove the belongings and to make the chaise available again.

Happy holidays!