“Things to know about Cabo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos

You added Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos to your Saves list
Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Domicilio Conocido Cabo San Lucas, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico (Formerly Hotel Finisterra)   |
Ranked #19 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Gilbert, Arizona
“Things to know about Cabo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The hotel is beautiful, from the 6th floor we could see the whales jumping in the Pacific, the sand and the wonderful beach, but this is not a party hotel, very quiet, just what I wanted. The hot tubs were not hot, just warm, but it was okay. Asked for a coffee maker for the room and they brought it to the room. The party is at Medano beach, this hotel is just up the hill from the marina, and downtown, a little walk but perfect, We arrived at the airport and were grabbed by the timeshare guys,. they offer you anything if you sit threw the presentation. So we did, got breakfast, taxi (paid round trip $160.00, then the timeshare gives you back $80.00 plus the money for the shuttle to take you back to the airport). Got the glass bottom boat to take us to Lovers beach, drop off and pick up, the pirate ship dinner cruise, the dinner cruise Cabo escape, a spa package that was worth $100.00 (of course the packages at the hotel start at $120.00) So the trip was basically just the price of the hotel and flight. Love that...just had to sit through the timeshare... just don't get mad they wont give you the vouchers, if you walk out...So Cabo...45 minutes away from the airport, food was great, ate at Alexanders for steak and lobster. Nice. Its at the marina. Walked into town and got massages for $20.00 for one hour. Really nice and you can be in the same room as your mate, (if you want). So there is my info. Great trip, great hotel, yes a little old, but clean, and wonderful view, close to town. One last thing, bring mosquito repellant, they are there and attack!!!

Room Tip: Ask for upper levels, better view of the water.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Polish first
Central, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Five Star-Four Star-Three Star? I spent my first week at the Grand Mayan in San Jose del Cabo and the facility was outstanding. I had some timeshare overlap and I had a choice of losing 4 nights at the Mayan or the Fin. I forsook the Mayan for the Fin and am sure glad I made that choice. My Fin room #321 was perfect from Jan 7 thru Jan 21. Freshly painted (in fact so fresh that when I rested my arms on the outside railing the fresh blue paint stayed on my arms for 4 days). Drapes looked new to me. Coffee pot, hair dryer, refer, new power toilet and the plastic chairs on the balcony were a lot more comfortable than the lounge chairs on my balcony at the Mayan. Didn't need the room coffee pot because the Fin provided complimentary coffee in the lobby every morning. By the time I left all the ice machines were working. All the elevators worked. By golly I did notice 8 tiny tiles in the hot tub missing but that didn't diminish the great time I was having with the 8 crazy Minnesotans I met - we all laughed about the tiles and said we would take a Star rating away because of the lousy maintenance. There were 3 grand pools - one heated. Why would anyone in their right mind heat all the pools to accommodate 50 people laying around them? I'm not too lazy to walk to a heated pool for my dip in the water. Two of the Hot tubs were heated - I just jumped in and met some more great folks. I was too cheap to buy the Happy Hour beers and brought my own to the pool in a plastic bag. Immediately the pool waiter brought me a bucket of ice.
The Concierge got me 2 discount tickets for the Caborey night cruise which was outstanding.
I did get tired of all the happy Fin people in the lobby, smiling and Hola-ing me in the morning when all I wanted was a Bloody Mary! Forty years ago I stood on the steps of the Hotel Finisterra after riding a motorcycle down the Baja from Ensenada. I remarked to my buddies that I would have reached the pinnacle of all my life expectations if I could ever afford to spend a week in a place as fine as the Fin - now I have 8 years x 2 weeks.
The Fin is a grand old dame and if Sandos hadn't stepped in, she would have lost her way. Sandos has only had responsibility for 6 months and I believe are responsible for making my stay the best of all I've experienced in Mexico. Thanks Sandos!
I posted some opinions on the Finisterra TA Forum concerning the timeshare options. I didn't want to get into all that on this review.

Room Tip: 321 is great !!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sherwood Park, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Had a day between my timeshare weeks so I booked a room here for 20 Jan '13. Disappointed that the refrigerator could not make icecubes and there was no kitchen facilities, not even a coffe pot. So had to eat in town. The pool area and beack were ok, but not as nice as the Playa Grande next door.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear ggordonstewart,

We appreciate that you took the time to share your one night experience. We are working on our studio sections in the upcoming months in order to upgrade the room amenities and features.
Normally our hotel guests’ rooms do not offer kitchenettes and there are several rooms that have new bed spreads and furnishings. Our conversion to All Inclusive continues and we look forward to be ready by this spring.

Hope that next time you visit our neighbors you have the chance to stop by and see what we have accomplished.
l.a.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Visited in early 2013. The wifi barely works unless you are by the pool. Various fixtures were broken and they have florescent lighting, (which is not too flattering when you are on vacation). Our stovetop didn't work, the t.v. was virtually unwatchable, (poor reception). Be sure to ask for a top floor room, since you can hear every footstep if you are on a lower floor. Additionally, we had construction noise every morning. The front desk staff was not very friendly, although they did apologize for the many shortcoming and kept reminding us that "a new owner" was taking over. The maid service was the exception, and were always prompt and courteous. Until they update rooms & improve services, you'll be far better off elsewhere!

Room Tip: Top floor - nice views & less noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Minicity,

Thank you for your comments. As you noted we are working with the updates and improvements in our original section over the cliff and expect to be ready for this spring.

We do promote the free WiFi in our Lobby and restaurants and currently we have just added a new antenna that offers certain coverage in the room balconies. In the future we will have the option to have service inside the rooms for an additional charge.

We thank you for your comment on our maid services that are dedicated and committed. Other guests have experienced similar comments in our other departments and we will continue to look for ways to improve.

Hope you take the time to stop by during your next visit to see the improvements.
Eastsound, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

The following letter was emailed to Finisterra management on December 6th 2012. This was our third time contacting Finisterra and we recieved no response to any of the attmpts. When we checked out we were asked to fill out a survey, which we did explaining our frustrations, and we asked management to contact us and once again got no response.

Dear Finisterra management,
I am very frustrated with how the hotel has handled my reservation for December 29-Jan 1. My wife made this reservation in August as a part of our upcoming honeymoon. We chose at that time to return to the Finisterra because we had celebrated our first Christmas together there when we were just dating in 2005. We enjoyed the hotel abnd staff and thought it would be romantic to return there now that we are finally married. Our total for a Jr. Suite was $562.76 USD after taxes. Shortly after booking our room my wife saw the same room on your web site advertised for less. She emailed the hotel inquiring about recieveing the lower price, but recieved no response. Although the lower rate would have been appreciated, we felt we were paying a reasonable price so we did not pursue the matter. Our reservation and confirmation is very specific that payment is due upon arrival. On december 4th my wife recieved an email sent at 11:56 AM telling her "We must recieve payment by 18:00 mountain time in order to confirm your space", essentially giving her seven hours to respond assuming she checks her email on a constant basis which she does not. There was then a second email from Sandra Marquez at 2:22 assuring her that the previous email was not a scam. When my wife checked her email that evening she recieved these emails which sent her into a bit of a worried frenzy since from what she read the final portion of our honeymoon (which we have been waiting for 5 months to have specifically to recreate some of our original vacation in baja) now was in jeapordy of not having a place to stay. We are both very aware of how difficult it can be to get lodging in that area at that time of year which is why we made the reservation well in advance. I assured her that although it was too late to call the hotel I would take care of it in the morning. I called the hotel first thing in the morning on Wednesday December 5th and spoke with Sandra Marquez. She explained that the email was not a scam and that due to 100% occupancy they needed payment now to secure our room. I have been a Chef in hotels for over 20 years and although the reservation agreement between ourselves and the Finisterra clearly states that payment is due upon arrival, I was happy to give Mrs. Marquez my credit card information to charge the room total on to guarantee our room. This morning my bank statement showed that $612.44 had been deducted from my account by Finisterra, not the $562.76 which both Mrs. Marquez and my reservation confirmation stated as the sum due. I called and spoke with Mrs. marquez again this mlorning and she explained to me that because the Finisterra charges 13.90 pesos per dollar the total due is 7822.335 pesos, which with todays exchange rate is actually $612.44. I understand that you charge in pesos and that for the ease of the accounting department have to set a rate that does not change with the daily currency fluctuation, but I am still not OK with the fact that the room is costing an additional $50 USD more than what is the aknowledged room rate. That equates to a 10% fee on top of the 24% tax and is not right. Had the room been booked under pesos instead of US dollars would you have charged 10% more for it because of the required pre payment? To sum it up our experience thus far has been; unresponsive to email inquiring about a lower advertised room rate, email threatening to cancel our reservation unless we responded within 7 hours of it having been sent, demanding full pre payment contrary to the reservation agreement made by the Finisterra and my wife, and a $49.68 USD overcharge for the afore mentioned room. My satisfaction level with the hotel is currently very low and we have not even left home yet. I expect a resort such as yours to behave in a professional and consistant manner with at least some attempt to create guest satisfaction. I aknowledge that you currently have us over a barrel in that there are little to no other options in Cabo for those dates and that we both really want to stay at the Finisterra, and that our room is already booked and payed for, but I hope that whomever recieves this email is professional enough to contact me in order to attempt to take this negative experience and make it a positive one. Each issue unto itself is frustrating enough, but add them all together and we have something that most hotel management would consider unacceptable for their guests to have to negotiate through. I appreciate your time and effort in this matter.

Our stay at Finisterra was fine. It is obviously a previously grand resort that has not been cared for properly over the years. Tiles are missing in the hot tubs, things are run down in general, painting is poor, the place generally needs a full overhaul to bring back up to par with the newer cabo resorts. The price for rooms reflects the quality of the hotel, we got an OK price for an OK room. Avoid all people in the lobby as they are going to try and sell you part of their time share (it is just like the airport, we can give you x y & z if you will just listen to our short presentation), we did not even feel comfortable anymore trying to book stuff through the concierge service so we did all of the booking ourselves just to avoid the hassle.
There are a lot of hotels in Cabo and we will pay a little more to ensure a place that regards its guests experience as their primary concern.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We were quite pleased by the reception of the staff at this resort. At no point did we feel that we were anything less than appreciated. The staff learned our names immediately, called us by such daily and politely offered to be of service without being pushy. Surprisingly, there were very few others there that week. You all missed out. The pool side was comfortable and quiet. The food upstairs delicious. Watching the whales breech and breath from our balcony was exciting. There were a few times that we could hear their calls. The location is excellent, not only being at the "end of the earth", we back up a few paces to be within walking distance of more good food, diving accomodations at Manta Divers, a dinner cruz with Cabomar, a quirky locals bar of fishermen that made for an evening of some jovial beers, shots, and singing along with their local folklorico (I didn't know a word, but it didn't matter-I sang the vowels only) and swimming with dolphins. There is also a neat little organic market "Cabo Organic Market at Pedragal" within walking distance and eat at at Penny Lane while you are there . Get some produce, cheese and bread, bring it to the room and eat at home. Remember tourism is their livelihood, so there are a lot of hawkers seeking your business. They calm down as they repeatedly see you day after day. Until then, smile, say thank you, but no (gracias, pero no) or if brave enough "vivo aqui". They will give you space. What a wonderful week of rest, adventure and good food with a very hospitable people. Viva Cabo!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear PearlsOyster,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. We are certain that other travelers will find it useful. It reflects that you have embraced the Finisterra spirit and the heart and soul of Cabo.
Many happy returns.
University Place, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

It was my second visit to the Hotel Finisterra, and it was exactly what I needed (again). Quiet, clean, and beautiful. This time I traveled with family and we all had unique, but enjoyable experiences.
+The Pools were amazing. The Poolside service was terrific (most enjoyed by my 20 year old son :) Ahem.
+The Waves on the beach and the lack of insanity on a secluded site was INVALUABLE to me.
+The close proximity to the marina was fun ~ we took water taxi's to many places, and loved getting to know the different vendors as we strolled around the marina each day.
+We walked (or water taxied) everywhere. But loved coming back to the Finesterra and away from the Cruise ship craziness on Medano Beach.
+Enjoyed two different cruises on EcoCat -- Sunset and Snorkeling and had WAY too much fun. ( I swear I was over served.... but my sons testify I ordered all the adult beverages.)
This trip we were convicted to try and eat only local small establishments and had amazing food and experiences at Solomon's Landing and believe it or not...lunch at "The Office" were top notch!
- Save yourself some $$ and stay away from Cabo Wabo. What a waste.
Service and staff were pleasant and the hotel maids are (as always) very appreciative of numerous $2 bills left each day,if warranted.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
VentasFinisterra, Director of Sales at Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Adrienne,

Thank you for your objective reviews and suggestions, we are certain that other travelers will find them useful.

As you mentioned one of our strongest features aside from our location is the peace and quiet in our private Finisterra Beach. We have a dedicated staff that receives many great comments especially at the pool and our maids. All of them get motivated when they see the appreciation of the guests thru tips as you noted :-)

Have a sensational 2013 for you and your family! We look forward to your next trip and we hope that you stay with us again

Been to Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos? Share your experiences!