“It was just ok” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cabo Villas Beach Resort

You added Cabo Villas Beach Resort to your Saves list
Cabo Villas Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Callejon del Pescador s/n | Col. El Medano, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Ranked #46 of 69 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Portland, Oregon
“It was just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed at Cabo Villas during Thanksgiving week, 2012. We stayed here because someone donated their timeshare for a fundraiser auction, and I won the auction. We stayed in a one bedroom executive suite. It was room 305, this is the floorplan that has a circular bay window that overlooks the large pool and the bay, and a small patio overlooking the hot tub. This was our first time to Cabo, but we travel often so I feel my comments carry some level of credibility. I'll keep this short and sweet.
What I liked about Cabo Villas:
- The location is great if you want to be near the marina/downtown area. We walked to/from the marina and downtown several times. However, there were also a couple of times that we took a taxi because it was later at night or we were tired. For kids, the beach out front is nice and swimmable. If you like beach activities, you just need to step out and there are several activities right there. Kayaking, waverunners, parasailing, you name it. The grounds were nice and clean, and I found the staff to be very good. The room was nice, but nothing too fancy. It was nice and spacious, which was great. The AC blew very cold so it was a relief to come to the room after spending time in the sun and heat.
What I didn't like about Cabo Villas:
- Cabo Villas is a medium sized resort that is crammed into a very oddly shaped triangular piece of property. As a result, it seems sort of confining at times. While our room had a view, most of the rooms either face the pool, or face the walls of other buildings. Although we were pressured hard, we did not opt to sit through the '90 minute' presentation in order to get a VIP card. It would have only come in handy a couple of times anyway, because we did activities and ate at restaurants that were not associated with the card. We were also targeted one day while eating at the restaurant - they must have spotted us - and were offered a free/discounted stay for a subsequent week if we sat through the tour/presentation. Again we declined. I found out later that many Cabo Villas employees have a monthly 'quota' of presentations that they need to hit. One thing for families, or for travelers seeking peaceful rest and relaxation - the noise from the bars are overpowering at times. Both pool bars blast music during daylight and evening hours, and the Baja Brewing company had a live band one night that played terrible music very loudly into the night. The music selection at the pool bars is often unacceptable. They play hip hop and rap, and on more than one occasion, the songs were laced with cursing and even the 'n' word. Nothing like the 'vibe' in the video on the cabo villas website. Cabo Villas does not have any amenities or programs for children, so you are on your own there. Also, if you are with children, don't eat at the Mango Deck, it is a 'spring break' atmosphere not appropriate for kids.
Overall I would say it was 'just ok'. We likely won't stay here again, most likely because if we return to cabo we'll find somewhere a little quieter and more laid back.

Room Tip: Ask for high up, and ask for a view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank GrantCampbell

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is the first review I have EVER written, mainly because I have never been quite so inspired to educate the general public, than I am now. My husband and I actually went to Cabo for our honeymoon in January 2012, and I'm just now getting around to writing a review.

I'm not sure where to start. My husband's father actually purchased a TimeShare at CaboVillas, so naturally we thought "well it can't be THAT bad, right?!" This was my first trip to Mexico and really didn't know what to expect...

The first room that they put us in was on the 2nd floor of the building overlooking the ocean and right above the Cantina and beach. When we got to our room around 3pm, we were totally exhausted and I just wanted to take a nap. After putting our stuff down, I went to go lie down on the bed. My first thought when feeling the bed was "Oh my gosh...I think they forgot to put a real bed in this room. This must be some sort of "show" bed for display-only rooms or something." The sheets felt like thin sandpaper. The mattress itself was hard as a rock. And covering the mattress itself was a plastic covering so made a squeaking noise every time you moved. I made my husband come check it out and told him "Sorry, honey....there's no way ANYTHING is happening on this bed."

Around this same time, that's when the music started blaring. All I could hear over and over was a man through a megaphone saying "Uno......DOS....TRES......TAQUILA!!!!!" The base noise was so loud, you could literally feel the vibrations in your chest. As I soon figured out, what I thought was hopefully a Happy HOUR type of thing turned into an all night long dance party. We left for dinner and got back to the hotel around 10pm. The music was still blaring and had no chance of being shut out even with all the windows and doors shut tight. I crawled into Bed From H*@# and figured I would read for a while. As soon as I got in bed, I started smelling an extremely strong odor of cigarette smoke coming through the vent. I waited 15 minutes or so and then my Husband mentioned it also. It was so bad, we both got out of bed and decided to sleep the rest of the night on the sofa.

So, that's how I spent the first night on my Honeymoon: no blankets, 2 people squished on a couch, listening to some dance remix version of Celine Dion right outside my room. I tried to get online to start looking for other hotels, only to find that the WiFi that we were promised for free because we agreed to sign up for the Time Share tour was, of course, not working. I honestly did not know whether to laugh or cry.

For the sake of time, I'll try to just list out the events that ensued:
-complained about the room, was told "all booked" and could not move us
-"found" a room available in the brand new tower that we "probably wouldn't like because there's a telephone pole obstructing the view"
-moved to new tower room, which was WAY better *siiiigh*
-we were stopped by a CaboVillas "activities" guy who told us free Sunset Cruise with lobster dinner if we take the TimeShare tour (we had cancelled previous one)
-shady guy with the code name "Lion King" came by to pick us up in van to take us to timeshare tour (which is normally held AT the hotel....so I have no idea where we were going)
-we were told to get out of shady Lion King's van because "somebody saw them"
-set up new time-share tour next day at the hotel
-wasted 5 hrs of my honeymoon with slimy, used car salesman type guy
- went on Sunset cruise who informed us that it was NOT paid for and we do NOT get lobster dinner and all we get is crackers for dinner
-attempted to complain to hotel and was told twice that the hotel manager was "gone at lunch"
-finally was given a sheet of scratch paper to write down my complaints
-gave up and vowed to write a long TripAdvisor review and never stay there, ever again.

Room Tip: The NEW hotel tower is the only one worth staying in. Even with the nicer room in the new tower, the...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Holly C
Lac La Biche
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Cabo Villas is truly a home away from home. The staff is excellent, the food is delicious and it is one of the cleanest places we have been. Being so close to the beach, Marina and down town Cabo is a huge bonus. The pools are clean. Everything was absolutely perfect. The live music in the Baja Cantina is awesome. I just can't say how pleased we are with the purchase of our time share here!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cabogirlAlberta
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012 via mobile

We have been coming for 8 yrs and once again Cabo Villas has met our expectations very very nice,we were upgraded to the Two bedroom next yr we will be back for two weeks. We love the fully furnished kitchens we shop at the local market and cook most breakfasts then relax until we hit the town for dinner

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Shelly D
Bountiful, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have been going here for 5 years at the begining it was beautiful and clean, people were nice and now the service has gone down I noticed it wasn't as clean people aren't as friendly my sheets were dirty. It's just not as good. Not sure why. We have been trying for 2 years to get our second week there and they always say no they don't have anything available and during our second week they had no one in there. Just don't understand. So we bought another place. Guess we will see what happens next visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank ccherrypie
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

As short walk down the beach or a 5 minute walk through the mall and you are in the thick of the activity at the marina. Nice hotel. Limited kitchen but great views and very comfortable. Good food on site as well...They did indicate they were adding another building and more ammenities in the next year...

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lettersjk72
New Orleans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at Cabo Villas from Sept 15-20,2012 with a friend who has a timeshare. It is an awesome location because you can walk everywhere. You can walk to shopping, night life, restaurants and the marina. We never got in a car except to and from the airport. The complex is very nice and has great service and wonderful staff who are extremely friendly. Our condo overlooked the pool and was a one bedroom with a pull out sofa. The bedroom only closes by two pocket doors and a window doors. It was very clean and had some kitchen amenities. The bathroom had a walk-in shower and a closet and a safe with an entrance from the hall and bedroom. I highly recommend taking the 90 minute timeshare tour because they are not pushy and you get to see the nicest condo's in the complex and get a free buffet lunch or breakfast. You also get $100 voucher which we used for a 4 hour double kayaking tour and a 60 minute jet-sking but you could also use it in the restaurants. There is also a Mexican Fiesta every Wednesday that was wonderful!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends