“worth the money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Esperanza - An Auberge Resort

Save Saved
You added Esperanza - An Auberge Resort to your Saves list
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carr. Transpeninsular Km 7 | Punta Ballena, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Ultimate Escape Save 35%
Ranked #2 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
okc, ok
“worth the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2006

My wife and I got married on the beach at esperanza. Everything was perfect. The attention to detail was impressive. Following the ceremony, we had dinner on the beach while our waiter serenaded us. Their were also fireworks at the end. When we returned to our room, there was champange waiting along with chocolate covered strawberries. Rose petals were everywhere, along with aromatherapy candles. It could not have been any better. The remainder of our stay was just as good. The service here is the best.
I ask concierge to get me a white hanky for the breast pocket of my suit for the wedding, because I had forgotten it at home. They sent somebody to San Jose del Cabo to find one for me. I don't even think they charged me for it.
This resort is the perfect place for rest and relaxation. The pool is quiet without kids running around (although they did hang out on the beach one day). The spa was great.
The food was good. The drinks were good. Our room was on the third floor with palapa roof and hot tub on the balcony. The rooms are huge. Food and drinks are mega expensive, but on such a special occassion, I didn't care. Its was very hot, but the sea breeze made it comfortable. The view from our room was amazing. We will definately return in the future.

• Stayed June 2006

553 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Kansas City, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Esperanza for a week in June 2006 for our honeymoon. We booked the resort through the hotel reservation line. Making arrangements was easy and clear. They even sent us a form before we left asking us for preference like robe and slipper size. We arrived at the airport and were transported to the resort via Escalade complete with chilled towels and water. Arriving at the resort and seeing it for the first time was incredible with the gorgeous landscaping and views. There was no formal ‘check in’ policy and we were shown directly to our room. The third floor palapa suite was fantastic. There was a huge balcony with built in sofa, table area and private hot tub. The doors folded completely back into the wall so there was a really open air feel to it. The bathroom had dual shower heads, stone tile and separate soaking tub. Tasteful artwork and furnishings. The bed was heavenly and was covered in rose petals. The view was directly into the ocean (as all the rooms are) and was incredible. They had a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting as specified in the package. We were disappointed to find that the information we had sent prior was disregarded and the robe size and slipper size was exactly opposite of what we specified. About 30 minutes after arriving the front desk called and asked if we would each like a 15 minute complimentary neck massage in our room. This was a great touch and was enjoyed.
The next day we spent lounging around the resort and checking everything out. This is a small resort so there is only one restaurant to eat at which also has a bar with a slightly different, lighter menu. The food is of highly quality and is very tasty but by the end of the week we were both craving something other than Mexican which is about 90% of the menu. Daily breakfast was included as part of our package but we were given a bill (around $70) each morning. We were confused and asked the waiter every morning if we needed to sign because it was included in the pkg. This became an annoying daily ritual where bills for food and services what were included were given to us and we had to wait around while it was corrected. We felt somewhat confused by the whole package arrangement. Some spa treatments were included but which ones were never covered. Breakfast was included every morning but we were billed for each one until we told them to take it off even though they ask our room number and look you up in the system before seating you. Keepsake Champagne flutes were included but we set them aside in the room and housekeeping took them away the next day. We never did receive them back. Dinner at the beach was included but they never explained that it only happened on Wednesday evening. I appreciate the hands off approach and the privacy the staff gives you but we were left feeling a little confused. In defense of Esperanza, the manager sent several complimentary deliveries up to the room completely unprompted by us. One afternoon we received chocolates and one evening a bottle of wine with a little note saying that they were happy to have us as guests. These were nice touches. We did have two problems with our stay that left me with a negative impression. One afternoon we returned to our room to find it had been cleaned but left completely unlocked. The front desk asked us to check if anything was missing and apologized but said little else. The third day of our stay I noticed that I was getting covered in bug bites. Im not sure if they were mosquito bites or something else. That morning I stopped by the front desk and asked if they could bring another suitcase stand to our room as my suitcase was sitting directly on the floor. They assured me that they would. A few minutes later, Hector of guest services tracked me down in the restaurant and assured me that they would get the stand, change the bedding, etc. Upon return to the room that afternoon, my suitcase was still on the floor. I went to the front desk and asked again if they could send the luggage stand to the room. Still no response. About an hour later a guy came to fill the mini bar. I asked him and he got one for me right away. This isn’t the type of service you expect when spending over $1000 a night. One more word about the prices. They are ridiculous. A bottle of drinking water is $10 when tax and gratuity is added on. A margarita is $16. Breakfast for two will easily run between $50- $80 and dinner for two with a bottle of wine will be about $300. They will even set off fireworks for you after a romantic dinner, a nice touch that will set you back $600 per minute (not including tax and gratuity) I've stayed at expensive places before and I dont have a problem paying $1000 per night. With that said, when I run out of drinking water in my room and call to the front desk and they send up four new bottles with a bill for $40 I feel nickel and dimed. Call me crazy.

All in all it is a great resort. My favorite part is the empty, private feel. You will never see throngs of people on the beach here even when the resort is full. The spa is excellent and the range and quality of the treatments are heavenly. It all comes with a price.

• Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2006

This was our third trip to Esperanza in the last two years. In the meantime, we have stayed at Las Ventanas and Palmilla. I can officially say that Esperanza is the best of all three-- by far. Last fall while staying at LVP we were trying to decide which one was our favorite. There are many very good qualities about both. When we returned to Esperanza last week, there was no doubt in our minds that Esperanza is our favorite. The service is outstanding, the grounds have matured and are beautiful, and the food has improved tremendously since our last visit. The food was very good before but not especially outstanding. Whatever they did, the food is now fantastic! This is truly our new home away from home.

• Stayed April 2006
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2006

Just returned from Esperanza. I must say I was very impressed with the rooms and service. We stayed in an ocean view room on the second floor and a palapa on the last night. The only difference of the palapa is a higher ceiling and an infinity jacuzzi on the balcony. I was personally satisfied with the ocean view room and would probably not spend the extra $400 or so on the palapa (taxes and service charges make things extremely expensive). The beds are divine in both rooms. The only thing is the food--not so up to par for my expectations. Most everything is overcooked and very oddly combined in an unappealing way. Not the gourmet stature you would expect from an auberge resort. I would still stay there anyway, but I think I will try las ventanas next time.

• Stayed March 2006
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2006

An ideal condition of rest, harmony, stability, or joy - Well, that perfectly describes Esperanza. Beautiful rooms, location, staff, and food! We were treated like royalty. Here is how great the folks at Esperanza are. We went down for 4 nights on a spa package. We misunderstood the number of couple spa treatments that the package included, so we ended up with a bill for $400 dollars in extra spa services. When I brought up the misunderstanding, the manager immediately took charges off. We are definately going back. One tip- The restaurants are great, but we would also highly recommend spending an evening at the pool bar. One of the bartnenders there is literally Tequila Sommelier's, and we drank the most amazing flights of tequila drinks for hours!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Esperanza for our honeymoon and it was the best resort we've stayed at. We stayed in an ocean view terrace room, and it was perfect. Esperanza had impeccable service, the staff was genuinely friendly and polite. The hotel manager/staff did numerous things such sending us bottles of champagne and various desserts and fruit trays, all with a personal note, congratulating us on our marriage and welcoming us to the resort. We really felt special. The other thing that is great about this resort, is that it is couples/adult oriented. You don't see too many children and there aren't kids running around everywhere, infact certain pools are adult only. My point is that it's romantic, relaxing and beautiful. It's on the expensive side, but it's worth the money. It's a smaller resort that really pays attention to you and to the details in making your visit wonderful. The beds in the rooms are huge and heavenly! They also supply you with fine spa products to use. (soaps, lip balm, etc.) The bathrooms are big and have his and her sinks. Everything part of Esperanza is great!

Stayed July 2005
Santa Barbara, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2005

Everyone knows about the Palmilla and Las Ventanas, but when I visited Cabo in February of 2005 I visited the spa at Esperanza and really enjoyed it.

When planning my most recent trip to Cabo with my boyfriend we realized we wanted peace and quiet. I began looking at the Palmilla, Las Ventanas and Esperanza. I chose Esperanza based on two facts:

1) The hotel does not allow children under the age of 16. I realize this may sound harsh but we did not want to hear endless hours of Marco/Polo as we relaxed by the pool.

2) The hotel is smaller than the Palmilla and Las Ventanas. Esperanza has 56 rooms, Palmilla 109 & Las Ventanas 61. Furthermore, our room at Esperanza was 925 square feet- much larger than Palmilla's and Las Ventana's rooms.

Upon arriving at the airport we were picked up by the hotel's Escalade, given cold bottled water, chilled towels and driven to the hotel. When we arrived at our room there was a bottle of champagne waiting for us and the bathtub will filled with red rose petals... does it get any better than that? Needless to say we had two baths our first night.

I had read in many other reviews that although breakfast and lunch was wonderful, dinner was not. We did not have one meal at the hotel that we were disappointed with. We had dinner outside the hotel at the French Riviera one night and found it to be way too heavy. That was our only meal outside of Esperanza. We arranged to have a private candle light dinner on the beach, provided by the hotel, which was amazingly romantic. I love spicy food and they have a salsa tormenta (habenero salsa) that is to die for. I had it with every meal and am trying to get the recipe for it.

The pools were wonderful as well as the poolside service. We spent more time on the hotel side, which has 2 pools, one right above the other, both infinity, looking out over the beautiful blue ocean. Did I forget to mention that these pools do not allow children?!?! Immediately upon finding what our "perfect spot" by the pool would be, an attendant would arrive with an ice bucket filled with bottled water, cold face towels and a wonderfully refreshing lime spritz. Throughout the day we would be offered complimentary shrimp gazpacho type shooters and coconut and coffee popsicles.

The "residence" side of the hotel also has 2 pools, which allow children. One of these pools has a swim-up bar which we enjoyed. Definately try to Tequirina! There certainly is a different feel to this side of the hotel however. We both preferred the pools on the hotel side.

We had a 2 hour couples massage at the spa which was fabulous. We had our own private outdoor area with a good size pool to relax in (30 min) before we received out body exfoliation (30 min) and then our one hour massage. Another day we enjoyed a aloe vera soothing body treatment and massage. It was incredibly relaxing.

We tried snorkeling one day but it was a bit murky. The best place to enter the ocean, we found, was on the beach at the residence side. Other days were very clear, we were just too lazy to get the gear and go out again.

All in all, this was possibly the most romantic trip I have been on. The service was stellar, food excellant, scenery beautiful and my boyfriend never looked better!!! We were at Esperanza Oct 28 - November 2, 2005, the weather was perfect and we know that we will be back.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Esperanza - An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!