“Great Resort with Some Issues that Need to Be Addressed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Esperanza - An Auberge Resort

You added Esperanza - An Auberge Resort to your Saves list
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carr. Transpeninsular Km 7 | Punta Ballena, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 65 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Little Rock, Arkansas
“Great Resort with Some Issues that Need to Be Addressed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My wife and I spent a week at Esperanza for a week in early 2014 with two other couples. I wrote a previous review immediately after our stay, but pulled the review after a month based on a major billing issue that I will discuss later in this review.

We stayed in a three room villa with two patios with an ocean view. Our villa was located closer to the entry road and was closer to the upper pools than the lower. The master suite was large and had a large bathroom with a bathtub; the second room had a king-size bed and private bath (MORE ON THIS LATER) while the third bedroom had a bathroom right outside the doorway. The living room was very large and the entire wall to the patio was a sliding door which opened the entire living room to the ocean breeze, and it was fantastic. The downside was that if the big door was open and any of the other rooms had their windows open then the bedroom doors would slam HARD if they weren't propped open. The kitchen had everything that was needed to make basic meals, include plenty of plates and utensils along with pots and pans for cooking. The fridge was full-size and the pantry was large but it was shared with the safe and water heater so it was more of a small utility room. Overall the villa was fantastic except for ONE BIG ISSUE… in the second bedroom there was no door on the bathroom, nor was there any kind of door/curtain on the shower. The door to the bathroom is right inside the door to the bedroom, while the bedroom door is right at the end of the kitchen. The dual sinks are on the wall across from the shower and the mirror above the sink spans almost the entire wall opposite the shower. So, if the door to the bedroom is open someone standing anywhere in the kitchen can see into the bathroom and see a perfect reflection of the entire shower in the bathroom mirror. It’s possible to huddle in a small corner of the shower and not be seen from the kitchen, but it’s not necessarily easy to hear when someone opens the bedroom door, so whoever is standing in the kitchen gets a FULL view of what’s going down in the shower. Granted, I don’t know the layouts of all the 3 room villas, but I’m guessing ours was not the only one with the same layout.

The service was excellent, far beyond most anything I've experienced at a resort anywhere. Whether it was while dining, swimming, lounging on the beach, late at night, or waiting for taxis we were always treated with the utmost respect. Our group elected to have the resort perform the pre-arrival shopping for us and we received everything we asked for. The prices were a little high, but we knew beforehand the price of each item so there were no surprises there. There was an issue with termites on some of the window sills, which when we contacted the desk sent someone over right away who didn't exactly fix the problem but just cleaned it up (we didn't expect them to remove the termites while we were there.) The table service during dinner was fantastic, although sometimes we had to wave down the waiter while in the lounge where the staff had a more relaxed demeanor compared to the other restaurants. Poolside service was always there asking for drink or food orders, and during the day there was usually a person available to get extra towels if needed. We were picked up from the airport in a very nice black GMC Suburban and presented with cool towels and water once in the vehicle, which was nice considering it was hot and we were tired from the flights. The driver was very nice and answered all our questions on the 30 minute drive to the resort. In order to get to town we would go to the front entrance and the carhops would call a taxi and negotiate the price for us so we didn’t have to haggle with the taxi drivers.

The grounds were kept immaculate and we never saw trash anywhere. Sometimes there might be empty drink glasses around the pools, but this usually happened more during the evening when there were less staff around. There are at least 4 pools which are all open late, the grass was a very lush green, and there were plenty of wildlife running including some very large lizards.

The restaurants seemed to be hit or miss. Sometimes the food was good if it was an item on the regular menu, but items on the special menus didn’t hit the mark. Starting off with the best, Cocina Del Mar was a fantastic meal. We had a table far out on the point with the waves crashing against the wall right below our table. Every dish I tasted was amazing, probably some of the best food I’ve ever eaten. There was a desert that I’m not sure is a regular dish, but it was made out of corn and it had the most amazing taste that I find it hard to describe. The portion sizes were small, but worth every penny. The Lounge Bar was OK, the drinks were good, but the lunch menu was VERY overpriced and the dinner items (expect the ribs) were so-so, and as I mentioned earlier the staff was not very attentive. La Palapa had great regular menu items, but the sushi-night menu was horrible. The flavor combinations were all over the place, there was only a limited selection, and the rice had a sour vinegar taste like they didn't use a fan and mix the rice property. This was probably some of the worst food on our trip, and I spent a day in the town of Cabo eating bar food which I think was better than the sushi. However, I am a sushi snob and the rest of my group thought the sushi was average. The Mexicanisimo night was very good and had a HUGE selection of food, I’d guess around 40 different dishes all together. The fireworks were fun, but the little market that locals set up had overpriced items that you can buy in town for ¼ the price. Even the hand-rolled cigars weren’t that good. We didn’t eat at Las Estrellas or Le Terraza Americana (which was only open for lunch). One thing I should note is that the cost of everything is high… a 12 oz can of Corona will cost you $8 USD, a margarita $15 USD (not including tips). Everything at the resort was overpriced to the point where it was a joke.

Besides the bathroom geometry and high prices mentioned earlier everything about the trip was great except for the bill practices/procedures. When our group arrived at the resort the first day each person gave them a credit card number to set up individual accounts per their normal procedures for guests so that we could all purchase anything without having to put it on anyone else’s card. Although it sounds like a good idea to make purchasing easier, when it put into practice it was a total mess. For dinners they wouldn’t split the charges, so it was put onto a single bill which was put on a single (seemingly) random account in the group. This happened at every meal, every time we put in an order, any time we paid for anything even when we told them a specific person’s name to assign to a meal… since they didn't take cash (from what we were told) except at the gift shop. At the end of the week we had to get a list of everything that was purchased and try to break that down for each couple. Well, that process took 2 hours, at which point each couple added up their total and paid with a card. The total for my wife and I including her $500 massage, was roughly $2500 not including the cost of the villa. It was a bit shocking to see that our meals and drinks cost almost $2000 but I like beer and my wife likes margaritas and we were there to have fun. FOUR WEEKS later I’m at home reviewing my bank account and realize charged me $2500 TWICE. I’m not a rich person, so having an extra $2500 taken from my main bank account was serious and it caused almost 20 overdraft charges. I called up the bank immediately and told them the situation and they credited me back that charge and removed all the overdraft charges (say what you want about BOA, they did this immediately and without asking any questions). I contacted the resort desk and was told that they could not reverse the second charge and that only the corporate headquarters could do that. I contacted Auberge resort headquarters and spoke to a woman who was surprised that they could not issue me a refund then took my information and contacted the resort and they finally refunded the money 8 days later. Of course BOA took their money back as well after that, but the entire process left me with a very bad final impression of the resort.

All things considered our vacation was great and the time we spent at the resort was very memorable. The prices were super-high (expect roughly $150 per day per person), but you get what you pay for and in this case you get great views, a fantastic location and superb service. The way they handle paying for meals/drinks at the resort and their billing procedures need to be reviewed and revised to make sure what happened to me doesn't happen to anyone else. Would I stay there again? Yes, if I had plenty of extra money, purchased my own beer to help offset the overpriced margaritas, cooked more meals in the villa, and used a credit card instead of a debit card.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
San Carlos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2014

Esperanza is indeed paradise. It is an experience like no other. The property is beyond description! The PEOPLE who work there set the bar for the best service on the planet. In all they do it is obvious that they CARE ABOUT THEIR GUESTS almost like family! Lovely men and woman who want to ensure that our every experience during our stay is just perfect! Beautiful, kind and loving attention is brought to bear on all they did for us. I was overwhelmed by their desire to make us happy!!! Then the Hurricane hit and it was the staff at Esperanza who got us out of Cabo safely...one of only three resorts in Cabo that got guests safely evacuated by bus to San Diego. 120 guests on luxury buses with food and water. An Esperanza staff member was on each bus (3) to ensure our safe trip. Once again Esperanza going above and beyond with caring for each guest even when they and their family members were facing down a hurricane. I cannot thank Esperanza enough!!

Room Tip: Stay in the hotel or the resident villa's nearest the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends
Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, October 21, 2014
Dear Marys S,

Thank you for sharing such wonderful feedback from your recent experience to Esperanza. While I know that Hurricane Odile provided a less than perfect visit to Los Cabos, I am delighted that our Team here went above and beyond to ensure your safety all the way to San Diego.

We consider you as part of our Esperanza family and thank you for your kind words of support.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2014

Esperanza Resort is always exceptional in terms of service and quality! We love it and recommend visiting as soon as possible. Make sure that you eat at the multiple restaurants on property as well!!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014

We travel to Cabo on a yearly basis and have always been loyal patrons of the One and Only but I wanted to try something different this year. I happened to see a deal on Travelzoo for the Esperanza so hey, why not try it out? We took this trip for my husbands birthday. We purchased the car service (from the resort) to and from the airport to the resort. It was up to par. Upon arrival we wanted to move rooms however, there was a wedding at the resort and they were almost fully occupied. Our concerige, Paula went out of her way to accomodate us for our entire stay. It was above and beyond what we expected. The pool serivce is great, friendly and effiicient. The spa is very nice and our couples massage left us relaxed and feeling great. Dining on the resort is wonderful! La Palapa has a different theme every night and the food is always good. If you want to go a little bigger for dinner, Cucina Del Mar is delicious and both places have beautiful views. Again, friendly and efficient staff. The overall experience was above what I expected and I like the more boutique feeling of this smaller resort. I have to say, they may have stolen us from the One and Only and we will definitely be back!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014

Many places claim they are great, but when you get there, they do not measure up. Esperanza is not one of those places. As soon as you arrive, you are welcomed and treated like VIP's. Everyone learns your name and anything you can possibly need, they provide.

The Spa is one of the best and the ambiance is unique.

I highly recommend a stay at Esperanza

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2014

Love this resort! We had a wonderful stay! It's absolutely beautiful! The staff is so friendly, courteous and helpful! Food and beverage are a bit pricey though a daily, very nice breakfast, overlooking the beautiful ocean, was included with our stay.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Shelly H,

Thank you for sharing on Trip Advisor your experience at Esperanza. I’m thrilled that you had a great time and appreciate your feedback regarding our food & beverage venues as well.
Our staff looks forward to greeting you both again soon!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014

My girlfriend and I visited in Sept 2014 and loved it. It was a romantic weekend and the staff at the hotel were amazing. Ivan set up a private meal for us overlooking a bluff. And Citlali and Gerardo helped make it an amazing night and an amazing weekend overall. We got engaged overlooking that bluff. It was a perfect place to propose and we will always look back with fondness on this weekend (and we will visit again to remember).

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Esperanza_Manager, General Manager at Esperanza - An Auberge Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2014
Dear Gregory F,

We were delighted to have you and your girlfriend at Esperanza. I know that our team did everything possible to ensure an amazing stay and it sounds like we exceeded your expectations on all levels.
We look forward to having you both back in the not too distant future!

Marc Rodriguez

Been to Esperanza - An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!