“One of my favorite places on earth!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Esperanza - An Auberge Resort

You added Esperanza - An Auberge Resort to your Saves list
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Carr. Transpeninsular Km 7 | Punta Ballena, Cabo San Lucas 23410, Mexico   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Los Angeles, CA
“One of my favorite places on earth!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2008

My husband and I were married at the Esperanza in the summer of 2007. From the moment we arrived, the staff was warm and welcoming, even addressing us by name. Every day complimentary food and drinks were delivered to our room and they bent over backwards to fulfill every request. The property is beautiful and we could not have asked for a more idyllic setting for our wedding.

The service is excellent and we had the most amazing time at The Esperanza. We truly felt at home and look forward to visiting again soon!

Stayed June 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2008

We stayed at Esperanza for just wo nights over a year ago. It was beautiful, relaxing, and so easy to get to! If we lived on the west coast we would probably try to get there for a weekend every year or two.

Personally, I would probably not choose it for a longer vacation as I don't really enjoy spas and we are neither foodies nor drinkers. So there's not a heck of a lot for me to do. I would prefer a resort with a great beach. Esperanza has a dramatic beach, but they discourage you from swimming in it (rough and rocky). Cabo itself is not my style, so that doesn't offer me anything. But these are just personal preferences and in no way a criticism of the resort.

I don't think our room was one of the most desirable ones and it was still lovely. The bathroom was especially nice - so nice that I decided to take a bath, which I almost never do. The grounds are stunning and beautifully laid out. When you are on the resort grounds you feel as though you are in a more remote place. I enjoyed the meals but I'm not too picky.

• Liked — The grounds and rooms were beautiful
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2008

We spent nearly a week at Esperanza as part of a group of 25. Upon our return were quite shocked to see it rated the best resort in all of Latin and Central America. It was nice, but the best? Not by a long shot from our experience.
The layout of the hotel side is well done and from almost every room there are magnificent views of the ocean. This is not a place to stay for the old or handicapped as the resort has stairs everywhere. We found the room clean, well stocked and featured. The two best features were the sliding doors which opened up the whole front of the room to the view. The bathroom had a low tub height window that also opened wide allowing us to slip into the lovely hot tub. Once we settled in, we explored the hotel and residence sides with the later being far nicer and more relaxed. During our exploration we found that while the gardeners were eager to greet and smile, this was not true of the rest of the staff. Of the 31 employees we passed only two made eye contact and smiled.
Now some of the details we based our review upon. The pools were chilly to the point my wife would not go in. The beach was really a let down and is more of a backdrop than anything else. To the east and west or Esperanza hotels had lovely sand beaches, but this was rough, rocky and definity unswimable. The Beach is where the staff weaknesses first began to show. On the beach chairs I waited for 25 minutes for anyone to come down which at the staffing level advertised was way too long. The next day at the pool, an employee came over within the first few minute, but that was only to borrow my binoculars so he could see the whales. Didn't see him after that.
The restaurant and bar service was the most challenging. A simple rum punch order came back so wrong I took it to the bartender to ask if he received the order correctly. After pointing out that it was missing three ingredients he admitted he did not know how to make one. Breakfast is my favorite meal and Esperanza had such wierd menu items that it was hard to know what you would get. I asked for my bacon to be cooked softly and to illustrate I waved my napkin. "Soft" I said. It came as hard as a pencil, the second try was not much better. When I asked what the problem was cooking the bacon Juan told me that it's pre-cooked (like McDonalds). The manager came out, not with an aire of "how can I make this better?" but "how can I get out of this trouble?". The third time was lucky, but by then the rest of my party had finished their meals. I gave up ordering bacon. On another day, the eggs benedict's only similarity to eggs benedict was that it had eggs, my wife had to send it back after one bite.
From what we saw, the resort was 100% American, they need to cater to the American palats. The food was so foreign that even french toast was some bizare cake like square with a fruit paste on it. The menu did not change for our entire stay and was very very limited. This brings up the menu, a hamburger and glass of water cost $50. At $1,000 per night and $8.50 for a 1/2 litre bottle of water, we felt gouged not spoiled. Staff were extreamly young and inexperienced and it showed. It was frustrating to have to ask the same waiter five days in a row to bring mustard to the table. After that we just gave up and took to eating in town.
We thought that perhaps it was just us who had a poor experience at Esperanze, but on the flight home other couples from our large group shared similar experiences. My wife did enjoy the spa, but individually and as a group we were disappointed.
Overall, the resort is built on a rough promitory with lots of wind. The beach is dangerous, pools tepid, tennis courts 3/4 mile walk, resaurant too esoteric, staff poor but grounds lovely.
We cannot reccomend this resort.

• Liked — The view from the balcony hot tub
  • Disliked — Staff, poorly trained and managed
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Houston. TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2008

We loved our stay. We stayed in the Private residence side. The pool was great. I did not like the pool on the hotel side. Did not like the food - very French and expensive. Too fancy for me - but I have plain taste! We took a cab into town every night for dinner (about $20 each way I think).

Everything was very nice and clean.

• Liked — Private residence pool
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed October 2005
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2008

We stayed in the 3 bedroom villa which had its own pool, hottub, patio, multiple sunning areas, and private beach access. The villa was smartly furnished and the living room had an entire wall that would open up to let the fresh air in. The villa is very private and allows constant whale watching and listening to the surf crashing onto the rocks. We had a private butler, Saib, who was superb. He daily made margaritas for our group and provided anything we wished for. One evening we had a chef cook dinner for us while we set on the patio under the stars. We were served grilled chicken, steak, lobster with several side dishes followed by 2 deserts. Saib was more attentive than any restaurant wait staff you will find. The spa services are also superb. This resort and its staff are as good as I have experienced. If your want a family vacation that is private, luxurious, and pampered, the 3 bedroom villa is what you want.

• Liked — privacy
  • Disliked — no dislikes
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
austin texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2008

My husband and I just got back from Esperanza and loved it! The rooms are excellent and the service is first class! We recently stayed at the Four Seasons in Maui and both agreed that Esperanza was much better in every way. The food and drinks are excellent. The property is beautiful and the rooms are very nice with great amenities including four season's style bedding. It is true that they don't have a bus to take you to Cabo but they do provide rental cars at the property that are reasonably priced.

Stayed February 2008
West Chester, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

We stayed at Esperanza during a very slow time when the hotel was being refurbished. We stayed at a friends residence on the lower section of the resort right above the lower pool. Each and every room looked directly at the Sea of Cortez. The two master bedroom residence had a full kitchen, dining room both indoor and outdoor and a huge living area both indoor and outdoor. The food was to wonderful but the $5.00 for a bottle of water got old quick. Since we were staying for an entire week, we went shopping for groceries and a case of water. The staff to guest ratio was 5 to 1, they were right there when you needed them..
I hope to go back again ASAP!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Quiteness, Awesome food, Beautiful surroundings
  • Disliked — Cost of the food
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Esperanza - An Auberge Resort? Share your experiences!