“Tranquility on the Ridge” 5 of 5 stars

The Ridge at Playa Grande Luxury Villas
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Av Playa Grande 1A, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico   |
Ranked #19 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Seattle, Washington
“Tranquility on the Ridge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We were back on the Ridge last week for our 3rd visit to Playa Grande, and enjoyed it even more than our prior travels. We have been to Cabo more times than we can count on fingers and most toes. This time we just needed quiet and relaxation. We purchased the all-inclusive plan so we didn't have to worry about how much the pool drinks or dinner was going to be and didn't need to wander off campus for food. Violeta, Teo, Miguel, Luis, Flavio, and the rest of the staff (who are worth naming but escape my memory at the moment) did a great job of serving great breakfasts, keep our drinks filled, and pampering us however they could. Being Seattle coffee addicts, we did bring our own coffee and picked up some 1/2 1/2 at the hotel store so we could enjoy our morning bliss on the couch on the deck overlooking the marina.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Rodrigo G, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande Luxury Villas, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Sidsy

On behalf of all the staff i want to thank you for sharing with everybody your feelings regarding your recent stay with us. We love to see familiar faces, for a 3rd or more times. We want the people to feel welcome. I am happy that you enjoy our all inclusive package and i will share with Violeta, Teo, Miguel, Luis, Flavio and all of the chefs from our pool the exceptional comments you have made, regarding your experience at the breakfast. Being also a coffee lover, i really believe there is no better way to enjoy it, that overlooking the pacific ocean and marina views that our hotel provides.

Hoping to see you for a 4th time,

Rodrigo Gutierrez
General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
vlsatty
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I purchased a timeshare unit at the Ridge at Playa Grande over seven years ago and believe it was the best investment of my life! I look forward to my time on the Ridge every year. The units are spacious, beautiful and well maintained. The views of the ocean and the marina are spectacular. Very few places in Cabo have this magnificant view. The staff is wonderful, the grounds immaculate, and the dining options plentiful. It is also a very convenient walk to the marina and into town. Many people are hesitant to travel to Mexico, but I have to say that I have NEVER felt unsafe in Cabo along the marina, and defintely not at Playa Grande. The staff patrol the grounds regularly and I have never seen or heard of any issues. Have made many wonderful friends on the Ridge and look forward to seeing them every year. I have converted many friends and family members into Caboaholics like I am, and they all love the Ridge too!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Rodrigo G, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande Luxury Villas, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Vissaty;

On behalf of all our staff we want to thank you for your comments regarding that this was the investment of your life!. Comments like that make us not only smile, but feel that we are doing things right, and that we are going in the right direction. As i have said it before, we are in a perfect area, with the best views, and working every day to maintain our areas.

We will love to see you again, for your 8th year.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Breakfast at The Ridge in Cabo was one of the highlights of our stay at Solmar! Staffers Miguel and Luis Fernando were topnotch! We went on a "girls weekend" - mothers and daughters and would go again in a heartbeat. We all were impressed with the quality of service and food.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
RolandBernardG, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande Luxury Villas, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Guests from Minneapolis, Minnesota:

We are glad to know that you had a great time with us at The Ridge at Playa Grande your home away from home and we sincerely appreciate your comment "Breakfast at The Ridge in Cabo was one of the highlights of our stay at Solmar! Staffers Miguel and Luis Fernando were topnotch!!"
Please let us know in advance when you will come back to visit us, we will be very pleased to serve you again and fulfill your expectations!
We are all very happy to know that your experience with us was a very pleasant one.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with all our staff.
On behalf of my entire staff we want to wish you the best and we all send you our warm regards.
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The Ridge at Playa Grande is the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed at. You will get a complete 360 degree view of Cabo including the marina and the ocean. The location of this hotel is conveniently placed a short walk from downtown and all of the wonderful restaurants on the marina. The actual rooms are spacious and beautiful. The fixtures, furniture, and bedding are top quality and everything is still in great condition.

The Ridge restaurant has very good food and exceptional service. Teofilo was our server for almost the entire trip and he is the absolute best! He was extremely courteous, friendly, and very quick with all of our orders. He got to know our entire group by the end of the trip and really made us feel at home.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend the ridge at Playa Grande!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
RolandBernardG, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande Luxury Villas, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear Guests from Chicago, Illinois:

You really make us very happy with your lovely comment “Wonderful Vacationing Spot”
We are glad to know that you had a great time with us at Playa Grande your home away from home!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I've been going to Cabo for 10+ years and I'm a pretty picky guy about my stuff and this place just rocks.

People griping about it needing updating are just silly. It's not Vegas. Relax. It's a more rustic lifestyle and The Ridge is right up at the top of the Cabo food chain when you take into all of the various and relevant factors.

One of the big things for me is security. I want it...they have it! They are good about making sure you have fun and are safe. I don't want to have to worry about my girlfriend walking alone and if you have kids then quit reading this and book your flight. What are you waiting for?

I'm an owner at The Ridge and go every year and bring friends at times and they are always impressed, so you should go experience it. It can be kind of a hike to get down to the restaurants, but I abuse my body so much in Cabo that I actually never gripe about walking back and forth b/c it's good for me to finally exercise even a little...haha!

Spa, pools, events, good times, laughs....and the sun is always shining!

I'm not sure what rooms are the best or I would make recommendations. I've stayed in a 3rd floor corner room that I really liked. Also stayed in a two bedroom overlooking the marina and is was just gorgeous. I don't want to give the one room that I know I liked b/c I'm heading to The Ridge very very soon and I don't want anyone to grab it before I get there this time. haha!!!

I really hope I get a good room this time. So far I've liked them all that I've stayed in there. I'd really like to have a top floor one some day just to see what it's like. High roller status I guess for those bad boys.

Seriously, really top notch place and you can take your family and friends and be safe and it's a super easy walk to town and we usually cab it back with any groceries we might have grabbed. LOVE having a full kitchen I almost forgot to say. I like to be able to snack darnit!

Maybe I'll see you in paradise!

Curt Weese
p.s. The Ridge has a nice little "shortcut" that pops you out right on the street by the marina. It's actually a HUGE shortcut if you are walking into town. Your welcome. :)

Room Tip: Never really had a bad one there, so I guess I like them all. :D
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
RolandBernardG, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande Luxury Villas, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Guests fromSeattle, Washington:

We thank you very much for your lovely comment “Go to The Ridge and Playa Grande and you will NOT regret it!”
Come back anytime to visit us, we will be very pleased to serve you again and fulfill your expectations!!
We are glad that your experience with us was a very pleasant one and we hope that we can be of service to you again soon.
Hoping to see you soon again we send you our best regards from sunny Cabo San Lucas!
Sincerely yours,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Ridge is a 'private' area w/in the Playa Grande Resort with it's own restaurant (The Ridge) and pools (2- small adult pools & 1-kids w/slide). Our package included free breakfast that had to be redeemed only at the Ridge restaurant. Although there is a full breakfast menu (eggs, pancake, waffles, fruit, meat, bagel w/ salmon and other typical Mexican breakfast options), the free breakfast was limited to eggs, toast, sweet rolls, coffee or tea and juice. No bacon, sausage, hash brown, fruit or extras. (FYI, The Ridge lunch menu was burgers, salads, nachos, tacos, etc. No dinner here.)

We had a marina/harbor view which came along with sounds of traffic (bus turnaround right below), and jackhammers from construction). We didn't hear anything with the doors closed which was great; however going out to the patio to 'relax' was not an option. The view was more so of the bus turnaround and the naval base across street with the Marina in the background.

The entire resort was beautiful. The room smelled fresh and was very nice, large & clean. If you stay at The Ridge, you also have access to Playa Grande restaurants and pools which are much larger with water aerobics, music, volleyball, etc. There were a few quieter areas to choose from as well, either poolside, by jacuzzi or overlooking the beach.

It is not only a bit of a walk between The Ridge and Playa Grande (hilly, cobblestone walkways) but the elevators did not correlate to the floor you were on since the property has been added on to over the years and is very hilly. Not only was the distance a bit annoying, it was confusing to get to/from The Ridge to/from Playa Grande. I'm 38 and my husband is 42, so it was definitely doable just took more planning since it wasn't quick to 'run back to the room' if needed.

After one full day comparing The Ridge to main Play Grande area, we requested a room change to Playa Grande. We spoke with many people who had done the same thing and general consensus (21 - 50+ aged people) was that it was better to stay in Playa Grande vs. The Ridge. We liked our room at Playa Grande better, although it was almost identical to The Ridge rooms and we were much happier in this location overall.

We also changed to all inclusive meal plan after 1 full day since the prices are so inflated for food & drink that it was just easier not to have to think about it. We kept track and compared and in the end it was basically a wash.

Room Tip: don't overlook the marina, it's noisy if you're out on the balcony
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RolandBernardG, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande Luxury Villas, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guests from Seattle, Washington:

On behalf of The Ridge at Playa Grande Luxury Villas, we thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
Your comments are important tools for us to understand our guests' experience and we use this feedback as an integral part of our evaluation and quality improvement cycles.
As a valued guest, your opinions are of great importance.
We would be honored to have you visit once again, and allow us to provide with you an even better experience at The Ridge at Playa Grande Luxury Villas.

Park City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We booked at the Ridge and while the rooms are wonderful, the pool is great and the staff is great, make sure you are not in a room overlooking the harbor and the naval base. It is extremely loud because there is a local bus turnaround right below the rooms and the naval base has training early in the morning and in the evenings. Request the opposite side of the complex above the pool or overlooking Playa Grande and the ocean below.

Room Tip: See above for information on where to request a room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
RolandBernardG, General Manager at The Ridge at Playa Grande Luxury Villas, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Dear guests from Park City, Utah:

As a valued guest, your opinions are of great importance.

Sincerely yours.

Been to The Ridge at Playa Grande Luxury Villas? Share your experiences!