“Great spa experience at Playa Grande” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Tripadvisor Deal
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Great spa experience at Playa Grande”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I thoroughly enjoyed a 85 minute massage given by Lupita. She did a wonderful job; she was professional, respectful and very good at helping me get a relaxing start to my vacation. I highly recommend her as a massage therapist at the Playa Grande spa.

Stayed February 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (647)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

First and foremost, this review should be taken in context of a vacation getaway for two.

Where to begin, we booked our trip leaving from San Francisco and going directly to Cabo san Lucas and I could not have had a better experience! Upon landing in Cabo, within two minutes a shuttle had essentially picked us up and brought us to the doorstep of this majestic castle of a resort. They are not joking when they say 4-Diamond, this place is immaculate, a resort worthy of jewels!!

Immediately we checked in and moved right into our room in the Ridge tower (an exclusive portion of the resort), where we were greeted with luxurious amenities, and a breathtaking view of the Marina. Two bathrooms, a massive living-room, a cloud-like master bed, full-kitchen and the most relaxing balcony one can ask for. After picking up our jaws from the awe our room had put us in, we proceeded to investigate the resort. The pool at the Ridge was amazing! Plenty of courteous staff members, primarily Israel and Juan Leon(my buddy who introduced me to the “Caribbean Sueno” cocktail which was exactly what the name tells you A DREAM), are at your every beck-and-call to make sure your experience is tip-top. From getting my a pack of cigarettes from the downstairs market, to whipping up an exotic Caribbean concoction, to making sure you didn’t go 5 minutes without a refill on your drink, or just even making simple recommendations as to what to eat and where to eat (I’ll be getting here shortly). Overall the pool environment and outdoor environment was fitting of a magazine cover, the word amazing doesn’t do it justice.

Now my favorite part; the food. The food at the Ridge pool was spot on! We had breakfast there every morning, from the Eggs Benedict, to delectable bacon strips, breakfast was always very tasty and for the first meal of the day, you couldn’t do better if you tried! Also as a side note, the mimosa’s they were serving were a perfect pairing to breakfast (try the grapefruit mimosa to deviate from the plain old O.J mimosa, its lovely). After breakfast we would spend a good 5-7 hours in the pool which was merely feet away from the breakfast area, here we would dip in the pool, indulge in copious amounts of alcoholic beverages while sunbathing. Once we got hungry, Juan would bring us a menu and we would order some of everything from the wings (my favorite) to the ceviche (delicious)! I made it a personal mission of mine to try some of everything on the menu and I got pretty close, all of it was absolutely lovely.

Dinnertime was a special time of the evening for us. We would get ourselves comfortable and head to the Brigatine restaurant, which was right on the beachfront for dinner. Here we not only ate like royalty but we made a very good friendship with our waiter. The gentleman’s name is Marco, and to be very honest, he was the reason I am giving this place 10 out of 10. His hospitality, courtesy, sense of humor, concern for your enjoyment, and overall presence was a refreshing mints that complimented our meals perfectly! The food is unflappable, the filet with Camembert cheese sauce was delicate and unique, the lobster tail was very tasty considering that there is no lobster in Cabo, it tastes as fresh as if it was caught right at the marina! Chicken, steak, salad, prawns you name it, The Brigatine is your place to go for dinner hands down. Making sure that we enjoyed our evening, Marco would make certain that we had ample refreshments, ample dessert, tea, fruit, coffee, all while making sure that you got a good laugh every time he came around. We made reservations at this restaurant every single night because Marco’s friendship, hospitality and courtesy were beyond reproach. He’s a great friend who made sure we enjoyed every morsel of our meals, he even brought out the head chef and manager to make certain that our experience was next to none. Marco, if you read this, I appreciate your hospitality and even more so your courtesy throughout my stay at La Playa Grande.

All in all, this trip was not only well needed, but it was also one that will forever be seared in the deepest depths of our memories because of the overall courtesy and enjoyment we got out of this resort. We’ve even considered purchasing property on the resort because of just how professional the staff is at La Playa Grande. One way or the other, La Playa Grande will be seeing us again very soon! We’re booking for the same time again next year! If you only go once a year on vacation, I implore you to come to La Playa Grande the first week of January and join our Cabo family!

• Stayed January 2015
Kansas City, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed at the Playa Grande Resort for a week very recently. Overall, I consider this a very nicely run property. The rooms were really good sized with a kitchen, large living room, two full bathrooms, a pull out, Huge master bedroom, and two different doors to take you out to the deck. The rooms were clean and well cared for. The sunday brunch is defintiley worth the money, as it has a very large selection of items and a bottomless mimosa bar. There are three really large pools with a little something for everyone. I really liked the fitness center that is on site. I believe unless you are a time share owner you have to pay for it but it's worth it. There's mini golf on site and the staff is very friendly and hlepful. The beach in front of the resort is really nice and has a great view. I'd stay at this resort again, when and if I return to Cabo.

Room Tip: If you can get a room that views the Pacific Ocean, it's an amazing view. Our room had a view o...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
El Dorado Hills, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I did not stay at this resort. (I will next time) We attended the Monday evening Mexican Fiesta.
All I can say is WOW! We were referred to this by the activity director at Marina Fiesta (Rodrigo) to (Roberto) activity director of Playa Grande. This show is so well done. I have not had this much fun in a very long time. The food is buffet style and lots to choose from. The drinks were great. Our waiter was so friendly and attentive. The best part of this fiesta is the show. From Mexican dancers, Aztec Fire dancers, Mariachi Band, and a wonderful female singer.
Roberto, You are truly amazing, so funny, great personality and easy on the eye! This guy keeps you laughing and gets everyone involved. I loved it. I want to do it again and again.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Austin, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Just got back from a 8 day/7 night stay at the Playa Grande, all 7 couples were upgraded from the Solmar all inclusive to Playa Grande Ridge presidential 2-bedroom suite, gorgeous view, wonderful staff, beautiful hotel. Perfect location to go shopping or any excursions. Do take a water taxi across the Marina or just to another beach, $2-3 per person. Even though it was hard to leave the complex try to experience other local restaurants etc. you will be glad you did. Explore and don't be in a hurry, remember you are on vacation. Please tip all servers, waitresses, etc. the average worker makes under $4.00. Enjoy and respect this beautiful town of Cabo.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

This was my first time to Mexico. And I loved it! I researched the heck out of city - what to do, where to eat, what not to do... and this resort was fantastic. I traveled with an owner at the resort so the perks of the wifi and gym pass were great.

1. accomodations: room was fine - The kitchen was a huge plus as you didn't have to eat out every single meal. Our stove wasn't working and it took the resort a few visits before the out of order burner could be replaced. The pools were wonderful though the pools on the Ridge were even more fantastic. I appreciate the separation of kids and adults and it appeared that everyone was respectful of the rule. I was wary of the water and we stopped on the way from airport to resort at Mega to buy week supplies (including tubs of water). Noah, our driver, escorted us around the store and helped with every small step including suggestions of local grocery store food. And what to stay away from. WONDERFUL guy! We ended up making ice from the resort water and after 3 days of not getting ill, we were using it more liberally - teeth brushing, etc. I think I probably would have started to drink it as a main source.

2. food - eat at Marro's. Ate there TWICE during the week- grilled 1/2 kilo of shrimp. Best I've ever eaten. Try a bulldog, you won't regret it. :) We did the beach party at the resort and the food was good. Solomon's is a must for breakfast and the Office on the harbor/beach side. And don't forget to order fresh guac at one of the places you eat. Amazing. The office has a water taxi that is only $1 if you eat there - don't get ripped off paying more. Poolside food was decent but perhaps a bit overpriced and it seemed that all portions in Cabo were HUGE.

3. activities - The Eco Cat was a great time. Family friendly with time to snorkel and kayak. We stopped to watch whales and sea lions. It was great! Negotiate a better price, but the guy at Solomon's can cut you a pretty good deal. We rented paddle boards and paddled out to the arch - negotiate for a better price. And we took half a day to wander the streets buying trinkets. Start with a lot of patience as it will be used up as you go along.

4. Resort amenities - resort has a nice equipped gym. Being a big time fitness person, traveling for work most weeks - I've been in a lot of gyms around the country. This one had everything you needed to make it work for a week. Crowded in the mornings but evenings you had the place to yourself. Was clean and neat and Clei water station. Mini golf was utilized by some in our party. Overpriced for the course. The beach is amazing. Plan to spend time walking or running end to end - its worth it. Construction was a bit on the noisy side, but that's to be expected after the storms. It wasn't during hours that you were trying to sleep. Staff was accommodating and always friendly. Bar tenders seemed to make a real effort to get to know you/drink preferences which is always a nice touch.

Being back in Michigan for a few days now, I'd return tomorrow - if I could!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms at this resort would be great.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Flora C, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Amy W,
Thank you very much for this detailed and wonderful review, which help all the community to make the right decision when it comes to choosing the ideal resort for your vacation. It’s a pleasure to know that this experience was a very positive one, highlighted by our great service
I'm glad you were able to explore Cabo in all its different faces, from the food, activities, shopping and the outstanding service most of the people had.
It's a true pleasure to know that your overall experience with us was enjoyable and met your expectations.
Thank you again for all your kind comments, we are looking forward to your next visit.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Just got back from a 4 day vacation here and was a bit disappointed. Trip advisor usually gets these things right but not the case with Playa Grande. Here's a summary of our experience:
- 75% of the guests were retirees/25% families or couples
- staff was very attentive and courteous to retirees
- prices in the hotel are OUTRAGEOUS; you can literally walk across the street and pay half. i literally bought a bag of 10 pads for $7; went to downtown and paid $4 for another 10 pack :).
- the side gate that leaves you across from XOXO doesn't open until noon each day which means no going out for b'fast or brunch; trap to keep you in the hotel as walking all the way around is a total inconvenience in the hot weather and when someone has kids
- staff is nice but feels as if everyone there is looking for a "tip" or some gift from guests
- when private events are going on, hotel is pretty much all hands on deck for the event; all other guests and accommodations are put on the back burner. the first morning after we arrived there was a private party so the only place to get b'fast was closed and we got the "oh well" communication delivery
- junior suite is good size, comfortable for 5 people and always kept very clean
- lots of noise coming from outside and walls don't keep out noise; can hear guests directly above and beside us
- check in was disappointing - Roccio was rude and unfriendly. she really shouldn't be the first point of contact with guests. we weren't even told where exactly our room was but that we should catch the elevators to floor 3 and go from there. little did we know our room was hidden and you had to go through a bit of a path to get there.
- i don't recommend any rooms on the 3010 block. no views, hard to get to lobby area, beach, main pool area and always had to be mindful of time to get in and out of closest gate.
- Bell Boy Gernan was the most helpful, friendly and informative staff in our whole exp. on our last day he even offered to come to our room and take our bags up; front desk, concierge or no one else told us this was an option
- waterslide and pool area overlooking marina was BEAUTIFUL; hence why this review isn't a 2 star
- food was so-so. i read many reviews that said it was good but then when i looked around at who was eating what and possible trip advisor reviewees, I thought we just dont share the same palette
- def not a true mexico but the hot weather during winter months is enough to get me down there again; we just won't stay here
- concierge told us there was no cruises that went out on sun except for tropicat, a small boat that does wine tasting. then when we got back to our room, I yelp'd a few spots, called CaboMar directly and got hooked up for that evening's sunset cruise. not sure what that was about but again, felt as if another agenda was being pushed and i wasn't getting the genuine customer service (give me a good exp) type of interaction

overall, I would not recommend this place to any person that wants a lively cabo experience. the feel here was stale, boring, insincere, unauthentic, and there was a real push to focus attention on the retiree/senior citizen pool. if you don't fall into this category - there are plenty of other cabo hotels that i'd try.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Dear Jezabel S
Thank you very much for taking your time to share with all of us this review. While I am very happy to read your positive comments, I would like to extend my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you had during your stay. I do want to ensure you that all your comments will be follow up to avoid any lowering of our standards or inconveniences for our guests in the future.
Thank you for adding very generous remarks of the positive sides of your stay with us and mentioning the services that made your stay more comfortable. Hopefully you will give us an opportunity to host you in the future.
Warmest greetings,

Been to Playa Grande Resort? Share your experiences!