“Greatest 10 year anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Grande 1, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Tripadvisor Deal
Ranked #8 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
“Greatest 10 year anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I decided to go to Playa Grande for our 10 year anniversary. Just wanted to say that we had an awesome time and fell in love with the people and staff. First of all, I would like to personally thank Juan Carlos in the front desk, Gabriela at the concierge, and Rodrigo & Cristina who are on the entertainment staff. Juan Carlos was the first person we spoke to and was very gracious and answered all our questions. Then we spoke to Gabriela at concierge and she assisted us with activities and things to do around Los Cabos. We then attended the Mexican Fiesta dinner and mariachi show the following day (Monday). Rodrigo, the MC was hilarious and witty. Cristina from Canarias, was very attentive and always called us by first name. Both were great and Playa Grande has real gems in it's resort. These 4 individuals alone made our stay very memorable. I hope that we see them again when we go next year. Gracias por su gentileza y nos veremos pronto si Dios quiera el próximo año...

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Flora C, Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Tarcio L

You really made all our sstaff so happy with your lovely comments

We are glad to know that you had a great time with us.

On behalf of my entire staff we want to wish you the best and we all send you our warm regards from always sunny Cabo San Lucas

1,693 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (516)
Arvada, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We just spent 7 days at Playa Grande and we would definitely go back. We were celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary and had requested a room that was quiet with a view of the ocean and where we could hear the waves. Upon arriving, our room was neither quiet nor could we hear the waves. We could stand on our tip toes and see the ocean over the building by the pool, but that was it.

After calling the front desk, we were graciously moved to a unit that fit all our requests for the rest of the week. Thank you, Omar!!

The rest of the week was fabulous and we enjoyed every minute. Kudos to Jaime at the Brigandine for remembering our special requests for dinners. We only dined twice there - once on our first night and then again on our last night after 7 days. Jaime remembered us the 2nd time and made our last meal very memorable.

There were a lot of activities every night that looked fun, but we were looking for quiet. After our first day, we were left to ourselves and enjoyed the trip very much.

Thank you, Playa Grande.

Room Tip: Just be persistent.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Arvada Colorado

We are very happy to know that your experience with us was a very pleasant one.

thak you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments

Hoping to see you soon
ct
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just returned from PG, 7/14-21. I have to say I was completely impressed before we even left. I rec'd an email about a week before leaving from Erick Diaz, the RCI Rep @ PG with my conf #'s for the 2 rooms I had booked through RCI. I emailed him back asking if we could get both rooms near each other since there were 6 of us traveling and a 2 bedroom wasn't available. He wrote back that he took care of it and HE DID, we had rooms, 2205 & 2206. Thank you Erick!

Then Paula Riopa the Concierge took care of my last minute transportation details because for some reason I wasn't getting a reply on Playa Grande/Solmar's website and I was worried because it was less than the recommended 48 hour notice. We had no timeshare issues at the airport bc the info that Paula sent me with directions as to where to get our driver/car were efficient. Our driver was great - we had a private SUV/Van for 6. He stopped at Wal-mart for us and waited while we ran in to get a few items. No extra charge but of course we tipped him extra. The disappointing part was when we arrived at the resort. The bell men are so quick to tell you, "we got it", that when I looked back while standing in the very long check in line that they placed half of our bags of food and water with someone else's luggage.

Check-in, as stated was very long and the welcome drink would be nice if you rec'd it while you are in this long line and not after you check in when they make you go to the Concierge desk to get your towel cards and welcome drink tickets. This is where they try and get you on a timeshare, just be polite and consistent and they will eventually give up.

Restaurants ~ our first late lunch/early dinner was at the Calima which was good. Typical mexican cuisine, burritos, chicken tenders and fries or a burger for the kids. etc.
Brigantine Restaurant (same food as Calima - still good) for lunch the next day and this is where the Ugly comes in to play... we had Miguel as our waiter. I ordered a side of onion rings in addition to the meals we all ate. Well, he substituted my husbands fries for the onion rings (very small onion rings and only about 5) instead of the fries that were included. When I told him he said he would bring the fries separate. After a while I told him we didn't want them anymore as we were practically done eating. He still brought them and again, I said, "no". He said not to worry and of course they were not eaten. Then the bill comes and he charged me for a side of french fries. When I questioned him, he got rude, acting like 'now' he doesn't understand English and walked away. I told him I wasn't paying the bill til he took them off. He got very rude and told me, "he would have to pay for them", snatched the bill and took them off. In the interim, another waiter came and took away the dishes, including the uneaten fries. When Miguel walked by he saw my 2 year old was still eating his food of chx tenders and HIS french fries and then proceeded to snatch the dish and say, "this is mine!". I have 3 kids of different ages and have never experienced anything like this in my life! I immediately went and complained; getting nowhere, I went to my room and called the concierge quickly explained my issue and he told me he was the right person to talk to. He said he would take care of this and get back to me, he nor anyone else ever did. I can only assume bc of my complaint and lack of tip, we had the rudest waiters at the main pool for the rest of the week with the exception of Alberto, who warmed up to us and was great. Also, the margaritas at this main pool are very good! It would be nice if you didn't have to take the two for one at one time, it almost forces you to drink fast or settle for a drink you don't want by sharing the offer with another person.
Mexican and Beach Party were fun, but the food was not the best @ $39.99 pp, half price for my 9 year old and 2 year old was free.
Romeo & Juliet Restaurant was really good, had a free shuttle to, but you have to walk back.
Puerto San Lucas Restaurant extremely expensive and honestly, the largest glass with the smallest amount of wine poured!
Breakfast buffet - didn't try, too much $$

We went to the Ridge pool, where there are 2 adult only pools and one children's pool with a water slide that the kids loved! Too bad there isn't one at the main pool. We ate here and the food was the best at the resort. 2 for one drinks all day starting at 9am including... draft beer, mimosa's, bloody mary or the regular happy hour 2 for 1's from 2-4pm like the main pool. They also have food specials, 2 for 1 sushi rolls, either california or veggie roll that started at noon but our waiter, Teo told me it wasn't a problem to order early. Teo was amazing, totally made up for the horrible service at the main pool. Ridge also has security walking around tagging the lounge chairs that were left unattended for more than an hour which is nice since there aren't a lot. He leaves a note with the time he came by and the time he removed the towels and that you can collect your towel at the towel hut. This is something that would be nice to do at the main pool bc unless you get out there early in the a.m (8/8:30) you will not get a chair.
Another complaint is about Felipe, he is so miserable! Felipe, in addition to Miguel should not be working at such a beautiful resort! His job, based on his attire, is that of the guy tagging the chairs at the Ridge. However, he wasn't tagging chairs, nor walking around with a smile. As stated we were there with a 2 y.o. who still takes naps and therefore, had a small cooler with us that held his juice and milk cups. My husband opened the cooler to give him his cup and Felipe came up and told us, no drinks at the pool after we opened the cooler to show him the juice and milk, he didn't care. I understand this but do they have milk or apple juice at the swim up bar? Then on a separate occasion, we needed to open an umbrella to shield the kids from the sun. When he walked by and my husband asked for help, he told him, no, that it was too windy and that if something happens to the umbrella or guest the responsibility is ours and refused to help. When I pointed out the other 10 plus open umbrellas he reiterated what he had just stated.

Tennis court is nice, basketball was a huge disappointment. The rim/hoop is broken and there was no formal court although there is room for one. Gym, $5 per day or free for owners. Mini-golf is $9 per day per adult, $5 for kids and you can use it all day, as many times as you like except it looked ok at best.

Rooms ~ the rooms are awesome! We had a one bedroom and our other room was a studio. Both rooms were well equipped with everything you need, except one bedroom didn't have an oven, just a range. Tubs were really nice yet rather deep which can create a problem for elderly ppl or parents that need to give their kids a bath. Our cleaning lady, Marta, was the best!!!

Entertainment ~ What else is there to say except they are the best and make this resort! Though they are all great, Roberto left an everlasting impression from the beginning. He is very attentive, remembers your name, asks how your day or evening is/was, is the first one to help with reservations, nothing but extraordinary! Others are great too. Hector walked by and overheard my baby wanting someone's ball (we checked and the store didn't have any), he came back with a ball for him. I didn't realize they had stuff we could sign out and use, which made my baby's day. Everyday, they have scheduled activities where guests can take part in and have a blast, i.e. Tequila Volleyball, water aerobics, bracelet making, etc. if you are someone who likes to participate in activities or just lay out and relax, this is a perfect place for you.

I'm going to touch quickly on the Marina... nobody bothered us for timeshares. Honestly, it's the little kids that bother us more by begging for $$, it just breaks your heart. The marina seems SO safe. They have some of the best restaurants that I wish someone on here had elaborated about and I read or found. We ate dinner at, Senor Sweets Bistro, awesome food and the best banana split that everyone around was ordering which was enough to share. We also ate at Hard Rock, worst burger (meat). Ole Ole restaurant looked awesome, as, Jack's Bar n Grill. Jack's had a guy outside cooking on a grill, lobster tails and steak. They had a guy playing a guitar and a really good impersonation of Jack Sparrow. From what I remember, $60 for 2 ppl... 4 shrimp, 2 lobster tails, 2 steaks, potato or rice with vegetable, desert and glass of wine ~ unbelievable and the food looked amazing! Please be sure to check out the entire marina, do not stop at the first place you see because there are a ton of gems to be found.

This review would've been a 4 or 5, had it not been for the awful service of Miguel and Felipe. I had such high hopes as everyone on here brags about the friendly service. It saddens me to think I would only return knowing these two weren't here any longer.

Pics to follow

Anagreeneyez

Thanks so much for posting a review. I really appreciate you taking the time from your bsuy Schedule to share your experience with us.

I wanted to offer my apologies for your experience with us. I have discussed your concerns with the appropiate employees, and I can assure you that issues wont occur again.

I look forward to welcoming you back as our guest son. Be assured that my staff and I will take the utmost care to make sure you are accommodated in everything you desire.

sincerely;
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We exchanged thru RCI and stayed in one bedroom unit on 4th floor overlooking resort and ocean in the back. Have been to many timeshare resort but to be honest this place is really gold crown resort. Well maintained, clean, nice grounds, service is fine, pools clean, rooms have A/C, roomy and wide balcony, tiles and bathrooms clean and functional, decent housekeeping, food OK. Why ok, because "all inclusive meal plan" is not my favorite, but traveling with children teenagers best suits their needs, so they can have their Pizzas, fries and ice creams, chips and salsa even calling room service. (50% discount for room service otherwise included in breakfast, lunch and dinner on premesis restaurants). On the negative side,- if you are an ocean swimmer you should be warned that Pacific is not swimable, so you have to pay $10 for taxi ride one way to Medano beach from hotel to enjoy the sea, otherwise stay in hotel, kick back on lounge chairs, order nice drink and soak yourself in pool. Next I want to mention the billing process, even though we had all inclusive meal plan, we were constantly made to sign for meal or cocktails, tequila shots or margaritas, when asked waiter why are we signing for the bill when it is paid off already and showing him the "all inclusive" bracelet he would reply that it is done for inventory purposes... Finishing on positive note,- you should visit the "puerto san lucas" restaurant, especially that it is covered by all inclusive plan, it is couple notches up, excellent service, prime food, even red chilean merlot was drinkable.

Roseville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We've just returned from a week at Playa Grande and can't wait to head back! The resort itself is fantastic - exceptionally well-maintained with awesome amenities. The staff was always friendly, always helpful, always accommodating, and they would follow up any request we made with a phone call to ensure our needs were met! The Kids Club staff was excellent, the waiters were superb, and the resort event emcee Roberto was sensational. The food was out of this world. I'm already wishing I was back just thinking about it...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Flora C, Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Shawn W, just a quick note to thank you for your review. We are very happy to know that your experience with us was a very pleasant one.

Sincerily yours
Eureka, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We spent July 13-20 at the Playa Grande in room 1242 and we had a wonderful time! The grounds, pools, rooms and lobby are beautiful! We had excellent service and were treated like royalty! We attended the Mexican Fiesta and Beach Party nights and the food and entertainment were excellent!!

I would like to thank Julio Cesar for being so attentive at the pool! He made sure I stayed hydrated by serving us some of the BEST margaritas I've ever tasted! Woo Whoo, for Happy Hour!! I couldn't wait to hear that bell ring every day! Julio never forgot my name and I like that! Thank you for the excellent bar service Julio!

Marium, thank you for being so cheerful and sweet! You are a true gem and your smile and personality are awesome!

I would also like to thank our room attendant (can't remember her name) for being such a sweet lady! She kept our room spotless!

Thank you, all for such a fabulous week! We'll be back in April and I'm counting the days until we return!!

A. Escobar

Room Tip: We love units in A, B, C and D! They are close to the adult pool where we like to hang out!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Flora C, Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
You really made all our staff so happy with your lovely comments!!!

Sincerily yours,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We just spent a week at Playa Grande and were so sad to leave. The entire resort was GORGEOUS!! Our room (2331) was spectacular and very spacious; the 4 of us never felt crammed at all! The best part of the resort is the staff. They go above and beyond their duty to serve you. Julio Cesar was our waiter at the pool on our first day and set the bar extremely high for everyone else. We even moved sections to ensure we had him as our waiter the next day!! The entertainment staff is SPECTACULAR! By the time we left we were sad to say goodbye. Miriam was so friendly and welcoming. I left feeling like a friend. Christina and Roberto were always making sure the guests were having fun and enjoying their stay.

I could go on and on about how fantastic this resort and vacation was. I HIGHLY recommend Playa Grande to anyone thinking about venturing to Cabo!

• Stayed July 2013
Flora C, Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
You really made all our staff so happy with your lovely comments

We are glad that your experience with us was a pleasant one and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future. it was truly our pleasure to serve you

Hoping to see you soon

Been to Playa Grande Resort? Share your experiences!