“Playa Grande experience is special” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Tripadvisor Deal
Ranked #8 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Chazy, New York
“Playa Grande experience is special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Playa Grande is a special place not just because of the beautiful rooms and meticulous grounds but because of the gracious,friendly people who work at this resort. Each morning my husband and I would say, "Another day in paradise" as we sat on our balony overlooking the warm blue pools surrounded by palm trees and colorful flowering plants (just coming into bloom in May). As you walk around the resort there is a welcoming atmosphere. Everyone says "Ola" with a smile whether you are heading for that early morning cup of coffee, getting your towel for a swim in the pool or setting out down the hill for activities at the marina.
The people here at Playa Grande, make your stay special. Miriam and Cristine will help you make the most of the resorts varied activities such as water volleyballl, Blackjack or water aerobics to name a few. Take time for a spa treatment on site too. They pamper you. Jorge, Martin and Estrella always great you with a smile at the sports bar/restaurant off the main lobby. This is a place to relax, share conversation with people from all over and they make a great Pina Colada. If you want to find out what to do off the resort grounds just sit down with a concierge, like Maria, and they will give you all the information on dinner cruises, snorkling, scuba diving, camel rides...etc. We took a day trip to Todos Santos, an old, quaint Mexican town which Maria suggested to us.
If you are into food, there are three restaurants at the resort and every night there are different themes such as: grill night, Asian night, Beach Party... And if you want a great brunch try the Sunday brunch down by the ocean. Delicious! Good restaurants in town too. Try Maro's.
Vacations are what you make of them but the place you stay can also make your vacation. Spending time at Playa Grande is special because the people who work there are special. Thank you for everything. We will be back.

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom suite on the corner on the third floor. Beautiful view of pools and ocean. Ve...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear JMA_11

On behalf of all our staff, i want to thank you for your lovely comments regarding your most recent stay. It is a pleasure to read that you have a fantastic time with us. I will share it with Miriam and Cristina from our entertainment staff, Jorge, MArtin and Estrella from our lobby bar, our concierge MAry, and all our restaurant and theme nights staff.
We will expecting you as soon as possible, to ejnoy another day in paradise, as you mention before.

1,539 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We just visited and enjoyed our stay at playa grande. Very close to the marina and shops so lots to do and see nearby. We didn't do the all inclusive option...we chose to buy some groceries in town for breakfasts and just hit local hole in the walls and marina restaurants for lunch and dinner. Take a water taxi to Medano Beach for just $6 where theres lots of activity and fun. We did eat a few times at Playa Grande over the week, food was okay. We had great meals including Baja Grille on Medano and some local places off the beaten track. We also took a glass boat private tour to a number of beaches up the coast.

Playa Grande was very clean and nicely maintained. We had a one bedroom suite which was perfect. The kitchen has all the equipment, utensils and tableware we needed for our week there.

Room Tip: We stayed in 2225 which bad nice morning light.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Jodiathome,

Thank you for your nice comments regarding your most recent stay at our resort. I am glad you enjoy our food, and that you have the opportunity to visit a lot of places in Cabo. We are really close from everything, including the marina, and many activities centers, something many people love. We are constantly improving with more and better program to maintain our areas in perfect shape.

We can not wait for your to visit us again in your next vacation trip.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here for a conference in April of 2013. I can say that it lived up to all my expectations. I organized our conference and will give feedback as a guest and as a business conference organizer.

As a guest, the grounds and hotel was beautiful. The pools (3 pools and a hot tub) were great and the service at the pool was good too. I never had trouble finding a seat by the pool. The beach was nice. It is not a beach where you can wade in or swim in the ocean. The waves are large and strong. But it is a nice beach to walk along. It isn't a long beach. My room was very nice. Good size. Clean. I stayed in the studio suite. My balcony (nice size) overlooked the hotel and the ocean. Beautiful view. Bathroom was well appointed and nice size. There is a small kitchenette. You probably couldn't cook much (two burner stove), but could prepare a simple meal. The kitchen was well stocked- wine glasses, pans, pots, etc. The service was great. The staff at the hotel were very helpful and friendly. We didn't have any problem with being pressured to hear any time share presentations. The concierge Paula helped me to organize some excursions and was very helpful and responsive. The location was great. Just a short walk down the hill (about 5 minutes) and you are at the Marina in Cabo where there are shops, restaurants, and the excursions leave from there (snorkel, sail, etc.) The guacamole is to die for! The weather was nice about 80 degrees, although windier than I thought it would be so that made the evenings get cool. And when we went snorkeling the water was cold. It was swimmable but cold.

As a conference organizer the hotel was great. There was a lot of preplanning menus, rooms, schedules, etc. There was some difficulty planning this internationally (language, etc.). And there was some difficulty in that they wanted a copy of the credit card sent to them to book rooms. But overall the planning went smoothly. But once we were there the staff was responsive, supportive, and very helpful. Eugenia was always there to help and make sure we had everything we needed. The staff serving us were great as well. Very responsive and accommodating. The conference room was well equipped and set up to our specifications. The food was fantastic. The only negative was the conference room was downstairs in the hotel so no windows, but this was not a big deal. And Paula, the concierge, was very helpful planning our group events.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Dear J_MORtravelor;

When a guest mention that his most recent stay at our resort lived up to all his expectations, that is something i inmediatly share with my staff in our daily meetings.
I want to thank you for choosing us to have your conference and that everything works well, i will thank Eugenia on your behalf for make shure everything works perfectly for you, and of course, to our Chief concierge Paula, who is the best to organize trips, schedules and activities for our guests. I am also glad that you enjoy our pools, and that you like your room assignation.

Our main goal is that when someone leave the hotel, their feeling is that our staff was very helpful and friendly,supportive, and responsive and to achieve this with you, make me proud of my team.

Finally i will tell my chef that his guacamole got amazing reviews, and that our food was something you and your crew enjoyed.

Thank you again, and i really hope that you will choose us again for your next vacation, or for any conference that you will manage.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

After initially booking two Condo’s which were subsequently double booked and cancelled on us (thanks for nothing Shannon and Ken), my wife and I emergency booked the Playa Grande in Land’s end Los Cabo’s. For those of you not familiar, Lands-end is a small beach (1-2 KM’s) just down from the famous El Arco. There are a handful of hotels/resorts (5) on this stretch. Of which the Playa Grande is probably in the middle in terms of quality level and cost.

We did not buy their all-inclusive meal plan, but I believe it would have been around $70-80 USD per day per person. We also did not eat at any of their restaurants, however, the menu looked good and some couples we talked to spoke positively of the food.

The Hotel is quite nice, nestled underneath the cliff face, and with a large sandy beach. The main building is moderately grand, with a large domed entrance. From the main entrance, there are bars, tuck shops, a small jewellry store, and access to the rooms which are on the beach, and those on the cliff itself. I am not sure if the cliff rooms are rented out, as I tried my card and could not gain access to that area (there was an intriguing infinity pool that I could see from the main entrance).

The Hotel is a series of around a dozen buildings surrounding the main pool and restaurant area. They are of varying heights, however the ones closer to the beach are a little lower, say 5 – 7 stories, and the two closest to the main building, were a little taller. All buildings are slightly angled so you can see the water, however note the beach might be 100 ft+ plus wide, meaning you are not overly close. We were in two rooms, the first was a second floor in the back corner of the complex (not very nice view), and then later in one of the tall buildings nearest the lobby (very nice view).

The rooms were quite nice. Large, good sized balcony, nice bathroom, and a small kitchenette. Not so nice that you could cook much (two burner stove), but enough that you could prepare a simple meal. The kitchen was well stocked (for 4 people), including wine glasses, pans, pots, etc. The beds were a tad on the soft side, but nice. Better than your typical hard resort bed. The room came with a small-ish LCD TV (37”?) and typical higher end resort furniture. Not a boutique hotel feel, but very nice.

And as usual, a note on the swim ability of the beach. As I’m sure you've read 100 other places, the beach is not swimmable. It is nice for walking. I saw a few brave kids with surfboards trying to surf the waves. As the ocean is quite deep, the waves rise up very quickly, and most roll in 6 – 12 feet high. When they break, you can often get 15 – 20 ft splashes. Lands end is cut off from the El Arco area by a large cliff face. To get to an area you can swim in and probably not die, you have a couple of options. The first is “over the hill” down from the harbour (near the navy base). That might be a 10 – 15 min walk. The other is Mendano beach which is across the harbour and where you would want to drive or take a taxi (water or road). There is no shortage of transport in this area. I think $5 will get you there by boat. BTW, Mendano beach is the party area, full of bars, water toy rentals, etc.

The hotel had 3 pools and a large hot tub. All were quite nice. It might have been random, but they all had different temperatures. There was a slight shortage of recliners, but that is usually the case in places like this.

The hotel is also a serious time share location. So expect guys at the main gate to flag you down to try and get you to talk timeshare.

One of the reasons we did not eat at the hotel was because there were so many great restaurants within a 15 – 20 minute walk. There is an older, what I will call, Mexican area with lots of moderately priced restaurant on the Lands end side of the town, there is the down town strip itself, and then the entire rim of the harbour itself. Please, do NOT eat at Senior Frogs (crap food, total rip off, etc. I was so put off by the place I may yelp them).

The location of this place is great, perhaps one of the best locations in the town if you are interested in seeing the town. Everything is within a short walk.

Overall, as a nice safe clean hotel to call home base, I would highly recommend it. A good rate for this place in April is around $200 all in (taxes and fees) (to give you an idea what this place costs).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Larrabee;

You really do your reserach before visit Cabo. That is always helpful when you are visiting a place during your vacation. I am sad you did not have the opportunity to get our meal plan, or to enjoy any of our theme nights or restaurants. I am sure you will love it. The menu indeed is good, with good prices.We always hear our guest suggestions and comments. i am glad the ones you speak with, have the very same good feeling about our food.

The pool that you saw on the clift is part of our other resort, part of our property. The access is private just for the people staying there. Nevertheless if someone want to have access to enjoy breakfast or dinners (on season) we gave them the access.

I really love how you describe our resort in each detail, i really believe every single traveler will know exactly how our hotel looks. Many people not only love the location, so close of downtown and in front of the ocean, but also they love our lobby, the gardens, the trees, every single pad, the desing, our lakes, and of course our rooms, that as you said, they are large with kitchens well stocked where you could prepare meals, and soft beds.
Around our pools we always have our entertainment staff taking care of our guests, and also we have gardeners and pool staff working in details every day but you will not notice them. I will share with them your nice comments about our pools and jacuzzis.

Thank you for recommend us and also for your the time you invest in describing your most recent vacation. Some things came by accident, and i am glad that we have the opportunity to welcome you, and provide you with a great experience.

Astoria, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at Grand Solmar but did the all inclusive plan so we were able to use some of Playa's property and entertainment.
We went to one of their beach parties and were having a great time.... Only thing is it ends at 9:00PM which doesn't make sense.. Seems to me it should at least go to 10:30-11:00 and then after if people want to head into town it would be perfect.
All in all though it was a fun time and the entertainment crew was great!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Dragonfly22ny

I thank you for your comments regarding your most recent experience at one of our theme nights. We are always innovating with new ideas, new meals, to provide our guest the best variety of shows in Cabo. We will continue working on this, and i invite you to visit our asian night, carnavale of venecia, mexican fiesta, to have your feedback and sugestions.
We are here for you and i will share your comments with my entertainment team and with our food and beverage management.

Best regards,
Santa Fe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We just spent a week with friends at Playa Grande, we had two separate one bedroom suites. Our suite was in Building O and our friends was in Building L, both on the fourth floor. They had a superior view directly out to the ocean, but ours was closer to the pools and restaurant. We utilized most of the facilities and were not disappointed, but be aware that the tennis court surface is rather unusual, sort of a mat that I had never played on before. We especially enjoyed the Spa and the pools up at the Ridges (which is not accessible by all, you have to have permission or use the restaurant or have rooms up there) which were away from the afternnon games. All of the visitors to the resort were quite friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Muffinann

I want to thank you on behalf of the staff of our resort. I am pleased when you mention that you and your friends have separate units and that both enjoyed them, one with a more directly view of the ocean, the other one being closer to the pools and restaurants.
As i always say, we have different options, and is a pleasure to assist our guest in all their needs.

I thank you for your suggestions and promise you that we will work on them as soon as possible.
I will share your comments with our Spa management and maintenance management for keeping the good work in their areas.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back in the next future, sincerely,
Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

Been coming to Playa for 13 years and this year our second week was wonderful. We moved alot the first week but once settled we were very happy. The waiters, both food and beverage, were extremely helpful. (Julio Olmezdo and Lulie) were amazing. The entertainment staff were excellent, friendly, very upbeat and talented. The choice of things to due and festivities were great. Juan, Neto, and the rest of the staff are so pleasent and like family each time we return. I did miss the owners get together bringing everyone together, learning new things and given a chance to win prizes. Will be back next year.

Room Tip: Get advise on any construction happening and call before you go to confirm your location.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Rodrigo G, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Dear fs43

Thank you on behalf of all our staff for your beautiful review about our resort, and for mention some of our crew, like Juan, Neto, Julio, Lulie, Roberto, Rodrigo, Miriam, Cristina, Hector, Mayrobi. They really are very talented and fun. I am happy that once your second week arrives, everything was perfect for your vacation, and i thank you in advance for understand for any room change that was neccesary during the first week.

Thank you also for your suggestions, and i will love to see you next year, having a blast for the two weeks with all your family.

Been to Playa Grande Resort? Share your experiences!