“Wonderful staff and service” 5 of 5 stars

Playa Grande Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Playa Grande 1, Cabo San Lucas 23450, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 68 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Wonderful staff and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The entertainment staff, rodrigo, hector, mayrobi and Roberto are immensely talented and their enthusiasm is infectious. Water aerobics is fabulous as are the theme nights. It is wonderful to see familiar faces when we come each January. Well done guys!!!!
Also, would like to thank Erika and Paula for their help and prompt responses to my emails. Both were extremely willing to help with my questions. The concierge desk handled all our requests for reservations,etc.
We give an A+ for service at all levels.

• Stayed January 2013
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Guests:
What a nice comment! “Wonderful staff and service”““Great stay!”
We are glad to know that you had a great time with us at Playa Grande your home away from home!
Thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with our entertainment staff, Rodrigo, Hector, Mayrobi and Roberto who are immensely talented and their enthusiasm is infectious .
On behalf of my entire staff we want to wish you the best and we all send you our warm regards.
Sincerely yours.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (723)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

This was our first time in Mexico, and we couldn't have picked a better place to stay. The grounds are lovely and secure. The staff was friendly and hard working. The ambience was all we had hoped for and more. . . could see whales spouting from our deck. The beach area is beautiful and we liked the privacy even though you can't swim there. When we went to the swimmable beach you were accosted with people wanting to sell you something every five minutes. Enjoyed the Happy Hour at the pool from 2-4 also. Only downside was check in on a Sunday was very slow. Would definitely go back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Guests from Saint Paul, Minnesota:

Thank you so much for posting a review. We really appreciate you taking the time from your busy schedule to share your experience with others.
We are all very happy to know that your experience with us was a very pleasant one.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with all our staff.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I thought the resort was lovely, and although the location is walking distance to the marina, it was still a long walk, about 20 minutes. Food was decent, but who can really mess up tacos and guacamole in Mexico? Beware of the pushy sales people looking to sell timeshares-- you will get poached at the airport, so be prepared to get persuaded in doing a "90minute" Resort tour, but it turns into a SIX HOUR production. If you plan to do the hotel tour, get all the activities possible because what they don't tell you is that these resorts get an allowance to spend on you and getting you to the property for the presentation. We sure did enjoy an ATV tour, a sunset cruise, whale watching tour, massages, and dinner for free and heavily discounted... And didn't buy any timeshare!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests from New York City, New York:

As the General Manager of Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa, I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the problem you encountered during your recent stay with us.

Please rest assured we are taking corrective actions to prevent such things from happening in the future.

I sent a copy of your message to our Time share sales department to ask them to take a corrective action concerning this subject.

We appreciate you taking the time to write to us with your concerns as this helps us to constantly strive for improvement and excellence.

As an attempt to regain your trust, we would like to ask you to please visit us again in the near future and allow us the opportunity to pamper you as intended.

Denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed here for 10 days in January with my husband and 4 month old boy. The resort is beautiful, the staff is super friendly and the entertainment was great. We walked to the marina 3 nights, which was also nice. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Guests from Denver:

Thank you for your nice comments “Great stay!” and for choosing Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa.

We are glad that your experience with us was a pleasant one and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.
In order to maintain the high standards of service and excellence for which we strive, it is very important for us to listen to every guest.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with our Entertainment staff.

Hoping to see you again soon we send you our best regards from Sunny Cabo San Lucas.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

After reading multiple reviews and balancing my needs for location, price and amenities, I chose the Playa Grande as my hotel for my first trip to Cabo San Lucas. I can say I had no regrets.
My trip was Jan 7 to 13, 2013.
Here are my comments on the key elements of my trip

BOOKING
I found that the prices/deals found on various travel and vacation sites were all pretty consistent and as low as you can get vs going directly to Solmar. Nevertheless, I had questions, so I called Solmar directly to book. The agent was extremely helpful and pleasant. However, she quoted me the base rate of $180 per night for my dates and I had to point out to her that there was a deal on their web site for $153 if you stayed 4 days or longer (for the small oceanview suite I wanted). After "looking into it" she was able to confirm that this deal was in place. Net net you should know your stuff before you call.
I also bought the return airport shuttle for $36 total. Turned out to be a deal as I think one way to and from airport is about $50 for the 40 min trip. There was one hiccup on my part in that the email with shuttle instructions went into my spam so I had issues when I arrived at the airport. Totally my fault for not seeing it although the rep could have told me to expect an email so I could watch out for it.

HOTEL
Very well maintained hotel. You can walk around barefoot without worry. You constantly see non-intrusive workers manicuring the grounds and doing touch up painting. Positive sign that the hotel is doing well. Very good pools, heated a little so that swimming in winter is bearable.
Front desk is slow but helpful. They upgraded me to a master suite (love travelling off-season!). Best to use early check out options to avoid the 30-60 min lines if you check out within 90 mins of checkout time.
The gym is very good...one of the best I have seen at a hotel/resort. $10 a day or free if you buy the meal plan. The gym came in handy on my return travel day. My flight was at 730pm and check out was at 11 am. I paid the $10 for gym access and worked out. I also stuffed some changes of clothing in the locker for the day while I tanned and toured. Was able to shower and change before I left the hotel at 430.
Restaurants are pretty good. Buffet breakfast is very good, but if you get there after about 9 am you miss out on some premium items such as fresh strawberries and premium cold cuts. The other restaurants have good food and some nutritious choices although not all that many. The meal plan was on discount of $80 per day which included buffet breakfast, all meals, drinks, snacks, wireless internet ($10 a day otherwise) and gym access ($10 a day). Only worth it if you eat a LOT of food and/or drink a fair amount. If I did it again I might have gone a la carte.
Wireless internet is not very good.Only patchy intervals of connectivity. I wouldn't pay the $10 a day. Use the business center for a few mins for emergencies. I was also able to connect cellularly with a great connection to do a quick few things.
I was ready to be shuttled to the 'welcome desk' after I checked in. This is where they sell timeshares. Admittedly, I had a somewhat fabricated story ready that pointed to some financial challenges I was having to innocently deflect the sales pitch. I was given my free welcome drink card and sent respectfully on my way in about 30 seconds. I'm not the timeshare type anyway.
Rooms are outstanding. Clean, great construction and fixtures. Walls are solid so you can't hear neighbors although floor/ceiling soundproofing not good. If you are in the bathroom you can hear every detail of what's happening above you. Ick. Otherwise, can't say enough about accommodations.

LOCATION
Don't have much to compare it to as I didn't go to other hotel areas of Cabo, but I loved the location. The beach felt almost secluded with only a few hotels sharing this almost mile stretch. Also you are steps to the Marina district which in turn abuts the town so you have many options for browsing, shopping and dining. If you are all about clubbing/partying (I'm not so much), you might prefer other hotel areas.

WEATHER
This is less about the hotel but was a concern I had coming in as temps are usually in the 70s at this time. Unless you can't sit outside in temps under 100 degrees you'll be just fine. I found the weather quite refreshing. If the sun is out, it's quite hot by the pool even when 70-75 degrees. Sweater weather at night which is a pleasant escape from the heat. I found I preferred this to locales of constant, oppressive heat. I got a great tan and had sun on every day but one. Mind you when it's cloudy, it's cool!

So if you're looking to party maybe this isn't the best choice for you, but if you want a relaxing trip with still plenty of things to do, then I'd recommend this hotel for solid value for the money and nothing major to complain about.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guests from Toronto, Canada:

Thank you for choosing Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa and for your comments about your recent stay.

It was truly our pleasure to serve you. In order to maintain the high standards of service excellence for which we strive, it is very important to listen to every client.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied costumer.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to make some comments regarding your recent stay.

Wishing you a world of happiness,

Portland, Oregon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was a top notch vacation. Unbelievable what my timeshare traded for. Three huge pools, one with a waterfall, one with a swim up bar and the last with a huge hot tub over looking the Pacific. Three awesome restaurants (one on the beach, one with outdoor seating and the lounge shows off a Chihuly ceiling glass flower installation. And that's not counting the Shushi bar, all on the premise with several more within walking distance.

Playa Grande is quiet, well manicured and has a well trained staff. But if it is the city lights you want of course town is only a 10 minute walk up and over a small hill. There you will find the city with authentic restaurants, the harbor/marina/cruise ship activities and for shoppers several modern malls.

I don't know how my vacation could have been better and the Happy Hour with two for one drinks didn't hurt.

Room Tip: I liked my room on the ground floor because I could sit out on our patio with my morning coffee. Mos...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Guests from Portland, Oregon, United States:

Thank you so much for your fantastic comments “Fantastic Resort, right on the tip of Baja, Mexico at Cabo San Lucas”
On behalf of my entire staff we want to wish you the best and we all send you our warm regards from always sunny Cabo San Lucas.
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Playa Grande is a lovely resort within walking distance to downtown Cabo and the marina. This was our first stay in a resort and I don't think we'll return -- not because Playa Granda was poor, but because we prefer simpler accommodations. We had problems checking in (they gave us a dirty room), but this was resolved by evening. The concierge desk was quite helpful in booking fishing trips (excellent choice!), dinner reservations, and taxis. All the staff speaks English. The food onsite isn't terrific, but you can easily go elsewhere to eat. You're right on the beach, though it's the Pacific side, so no swimming's permitted.

Looks like it'd be great for families (lots of kids) and group travel.

Room Tip: We had asked for rooms near each other (two parties traveling together) and were not given them unti...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Guests from Arlington, Virginia:

The comments you have made describing the experience you have encountered during your stay at Playa Grande Resort and Grand Spa, came to my attention. Please accept my apologies.

In order to maintain the high standards of service and excellence for which we strive, we need to know when problems occur so the appropriate action can be taken.

Concerning your comments with your check-in and the food quality I held a meeting with our front desk manager and chef involved in this situation and measures have been taken to avoid this situation happen again in the future.

We value your patronage and hope that you will give us the opportunity to demonstrate that your past experience with Playa Grande is not characteristic of our performance, but an unpleasant exception.

Sincerely yours,

Been to Playa Grande Resort? Share your experiences!