“I'll Be Back!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 66 hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Seattle, Washington
“I'll Be Back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I love the all-inclusive resort but I have had some bad experiences. The Playa had great food and alcohol options. Our room was beautiful. The pools were beautiful. Everthing about the property was tip top. My only complaint was that when we checked-in, we were told that our ocean view room was not avaiable. We had paid extra for this room months in advance. After some pressure, we were given the room we had reserved. I wanted to thank my servers at the Brigantine. I enjoyed my leisurely breakfast before scuba diving. Thank you Armondo and Cirilo for the great service and conversation. See you next year!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guests from Seattle, Washington:

Thank you for your nice comments and for choosing Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa.

We are glad that your experience with us was a pleasant one and hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.

In order to maintain the high standards of service and excellence for which we strive, it is very important for us to listen to every guest.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is the word of mouth from our satisfied customers.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with Armando and Cirilo for the great service and conversation.

Hoping to see you again soon we send you our best regards from Sunny Cabo San Lucas.

1,720 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My sister and I spent a wonderful week at Playa Grande. The weather was perfect; the grounds are beautiful and immaculately kept; the food is great; the spa is well worth the expense; but what sets Playa Grande apart is the service. Every single person made us feel as though making our experience wonderful is their only priority. My sister arrived three hours before me, and the bell hops somehow recognized me as though I was returning home. they remembered her name, my name, and took care of my bags at the doorstep.

The few names I remember are Noe at the front desk [made everything simple], Alma [made sure that we knew of all our options and offered us many discounts], and Mairobi at the pool [made everything fun]. the woman who took care of our room attended to every detail, and the experience was the same every step of the way. I highly recommend Playa Granda to all. they cater to couples, mature travelers, and families; and they make sure that everyone has what they need, and they separate out children from adult areas so that everyone is free to enjoy without worry. I am looking forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor. There is a little more noise from the pool and traffic. I was happ...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guests from San Diego, California:
We thank you very much for your comment “If service is what you are looking for..”
We are glad that your experience with us was a very pleasant one and we hope that we can be of service to you again soon.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with all our staff.
Wishing you a world of happiness we all send you our best regards.
Folsom, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

i would like to thank the playa grande activity staff for a wonderful two weeks.
They are friendly, outgoing, and very cool.

I want to especially thank Roberto, Rodrigo, Myrobi and Hector.
Keep it up guys, you rock.

Best,
Papa Doc and Diane

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guests from Folsom, California:

Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to send us your comments that I will share with pleasure with our Entertainment staff.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed 1 night at Playa Grande to spoil ourselves after a few days in a more rustic surf camp. The resort was beautiful, the food was delicious but the staff was truly excellent. I had inadvertently booked the room for the wrong night but had used a third-party vendor so it was difficult for the staff to rectify my mistake. Nonetheless, the staff was very kind and did their best to help me resolve the booking. Specifically, Maria helped me contact the third-party vendor in the US and Noe and Adriana helped me with the re-booking and gave us a lovely last night in Mexico. We had a great time and are very grateful! Thanks so much~

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Guests from Denver, Colorado:

Thank you for choosing Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa for your recent stay.

It was truly our pleasure to serve you. In order to maintain the high standards of service excellence for which we strive, it is very important to listen to every client.
As with any business like ours, the greatest advertising we can have is word of mouth from a satisfied costumer.
Again thank you for your kindness in taking the time to make some comments regarding your recent stay.

Wishing you a world of happiness,

Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

We just returned from a week long stay at the playa grande (2 adults, kids ages 11,9,7). This is the second year in a row we've stayed here, and getting the room we want also seems to be a little more difficult than expected. Our initial room was nice enough (good view, close to the beach), but on the ground floor. We didn't want the ground floor because we like to keep the doors open at night, and tried to switch to a higher floor. They weren't able to accommodate us until our second day, which is always a drag when you want to fully unpack. However, our new room on the 4th floor of the M building worked out great. Room was clean, well appointed. One bedroom with double couch and pull out twin.

General comments:
• all inclusive never makes sense for us because our kids don't eat enough to justify it. Nor does the breakfast buffet. We hit costco and load up on eggs, bacon, baked goods, fruit, juices, milk and cereal for a week's worth of breakfast for less money than one morning at the buffet (even with 50% off for kids). We also bought things like chips and beer, and some lunch items, although we ordered lunch at the pool most days.
• I've simply come to expect to be nickled and dimed to pay for everything (Internet, gym, etc) .
• we didn't do the dinner fiesta this year, but have before. It's worth doing once. Good entertainment and fun for kids.
• we like going into town for dinner. Better selection, not too far of a walk along the Marina, and more reasonably priced. Enjoyed el pescadorall and hacienda coyote this year.
• lots of fun at los cerritos beach. First time there. At mile marker 65km on way to todos Santos. No signs but exit on the dirt road heading towards the water. Restaurant, surf and boogie boards for rent. Great and safe for kids of all ages.
• pool area is great for kids. Lots of variety for all ages.
• pool staff not speedy, but not as slow as some other reviews have suggested

Overall, reasonable value for what you get. Good location. Good for families.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guests from Seattle, WA:

On behalf of Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa, we thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
Your comments are an important tool for us to understand our guests' experience and we use this feedback as an integral part of our evaluation and quality improvement cycles.
As a valued guest, your opinions are of great importance.
We would be honored to have you visit once again, and allow us to provide you with an even better experience at the Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa.

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Playa Grande at the beginning of November for 6 days. I'm a little OCD when I research the hotels we vacation, and I felt we made a great choice staying at this Resort. The resort was lovely, we found it to be in great condition. We were impressed with our room, exceptional size for the price! At check in we did get the room runaround. They couldn't locate our exact reservation and then tried to move us to The Ridge. I had booked online and specifically paid more for an ocean view,which they couldn't confirm the room type they were offering at the ridge. I was pretty adamant with them that they stick to our original reservation. After a few minutes of discussion and enlisting a manager suddenly a room like we booked was found to be available at Playa.
We were on the fence about choosing all-inclusive, but at the last minute decided to go for it. We were glad we did. All food and drink prices are very comparable to what you would find on vacation in the states. The breakfast buffet was about $32 and same for dinner. All inclusive was $80 per person per day. We found that we had easily spent that amount by mid afternoon by eating breakfast, lunch, and a few drinks at the pool. While all of the rooms have a kitchen, and many people pick up their own food and drink supplies apron arrival, however you cannot take your own food or drinks to the pool. We have been to different resorts throughout Mexico and felt the food was good compared to other experiences.
We did not have one person approach us about timeshares. At check in we refused the "welcome packet" talk and that was as close as we ever got.
One evening as we were walking back to the resort from the marina my husband cut his foot on a rock near the security entrance. It was a surface cut, but was excessively bleeding. Security saw us and immediately took my husband aside to administer first aid. They did an excellent and thorough job, also making a record of it and taking our names and room number. We also saw that they have a small medical clinic on the property which, fortunately, we didn't have to use.
My husband dives and went for 3 of the days we were there. He had a great experience and got some amazing pictures. Surprisingly there were not many people diving despite the excellent conditions.
Over all we had a lovely time. This not our first time to Mexico, but our first time to Cabo. In general we found the demographic of Playa to be around 50+. We are in our late 30's and felt we were in the minority. Cabo is very Americanized. Almost all of the servers spoke English very well. If we do not return to Cabo or Playa it is only because we prefer to have a bit more authentic cultural experience outside of the US. Thank you to the entire Playa Grande staff for providing a great vacation for us!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests from Seattle, Washington:

We thank you very much for your comment “Great Time At Playa Grande”
Wishing you a world of happiness we all send you our best regards.
Federal Way
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

This was the third time I had been to Cabo San Lucas and the first time staying at the Playa Grande. The staff at this hotel were rude and argumentative with my family and I. We had to beg to talk to a manager and when we finally got to speak with him about how we were given misinformation about the cost of a shuttle ride he told my Dad to come back the next day at 7am for a resolution. He met with the manager again the next day and they told him that they still had to do research and made him come back a third time. Finally on the third day we got a call that we had signed something when we had first checked in that we were responsible for the cost and basically "sorry for you". We felt like we had to constantly watch our backs or risk being scammed for money. This hotel obviously doesn't care about repeat business and does not understand anything about service recovery. Stay away from this place.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
RolandBernardG, General Manager at Playa Grande Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear Guests from Federal Way:

On behalf of Playa Grande Resort & Grand Spa we thank you very much for taking the time to express your experience. Please accept our apology.

The comments you have made describing the experience you encountered during your stay with us have come to our attention.

We really appreciate the time you are taking to write us with your concern as this will help us improve and we hope you give us an opportunity to demonstrate to you how important your comments are and how seriously we took action.

It will be a great honor if you will choose to visit us again in the near future and a great opportunity to provide you with a better service.

Sincerely yours.

Been to Playa Grande Resort? Share your experiences!